The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 02-18-2010, 03:55 AM   #1591
Alucard

I think from what I read sony released a patch for the game that lets you install it to the hdd which fixes alot of the framerate issues. Well thats what they claim at least. Nothing fixes the low texture quality though.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:11 AM   #1592
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Press Y, got it.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:48 AM   #1593
Joe Redifer
Olé!

In case anyone was wondering what the crazy lyrics to the song that is set to the tune of Fly Me to the Moon are whenever you do battle, read and LOL:

Bayonetta, you´re a mystery (Who)
You come along with a destiny (are you?)
This is your life, a battlefield telling you who you are
(A mystery, Bayonetta)
Bayonetta, this is your time (Hold tight)
You gonna sparkle, you gonna shine (Moon light)
Girl, when you fight it looks like a dance, you are magic, you´re magic...
(you´re dancing beautiful, Bayonetta)
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #1594
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Either get it for a low price or rent it and play it on Easy or Very Easy. It's been a long time since I've seen a game that had two levels of easy.
How many difficulty levels are there? Is Normal really too hard?

I got the Xbox 360 version of this game for free from IGN, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll probably play it soon though.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #1595
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Normal is pretty tough, certainly not impossible by any means, but harder than Normal on most other games. I completed it on Normal. I think there is a hard mode and maybe one or two harder levels of difficulty that must be unlocked. I think the hardest mode is called "Full Orgasm" or something like that. I hear it's akin to auto-erotic asphyxiation.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #1596
Paper exe
Pwnd

I am almost positive that you did a full Splatterhouse review and you loved it too. I searched and cannot find it. What's wrong in here?!

I saw your Genesis recommended list and Sword of Vermillion was on it. I am quite surprised because I hated that game and I am very easy to satisfy. Can you please tell me what you like about that game. Would love a full fledge review but a mini one is fine if you are lazy, actually if you are too lazy for that too then just a regular post telling me why you like it. Would be appreciated.

You don’t talk about the mega CD and 32X much I find that strange for an old school SEGA fan because these two add ones are mind blowing. For instance, I tried Chaotix on the 32X for a second just now and the graphics were outstanding even now after 15 years from making that game. I demand more praise to those add ons.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #1597
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I've never reviewed Splatterhouse. Perhaps you were thinking about Space Harrier? They are almost identical.

Sword of Vermilion is an acquired taste and it has not aged well. It is almost 100% dungeon crawling. That was OK back in the day, but these days it can get a bit tiresome. The fantastic music kept me going!

I would like to review more CD and 32X games. Chaotix is also another acquired taste. The reason I don't review those too much is that I doubt many people will read them. Not too many people here seem to care for games that aren't current or coming soon.

Up for review next is probably Ys 7 for PSP and Legend of Wukong for Genesis/Mega Drive if I ever get around to finishing it (I've already taken pictures for that review).
Old 09-18-2010, 01:17 AM   #1598
Vegetto
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
I've never reviewed Splatterhouse. Perhaps you were thinking about Space Harrier? They are almost identical.
either i'm tired or that was actually pretty dang funny.
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #1599
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Looking forward to that Ys Seven review! I am still in favor of your reviewing classic games too. That's what got me to start coming to this site.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #1600
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It's been a while since my last full-on review, but I am back and less powerful than ever before! Here we go:

Ys Seven
8.5/10
Sony PSP

Is that the actual number 7 between
Ys and Seven? I can't quite tell.

Ever since my super-rich parents bought me a TurboGrafx-16 and CD-ROM for a high school graduation present, I've been a fan of the Ys series - pronounced "ees" - which they also bought me. The game had fantastic music, exciting "cinema intermissions", voice acting that was actually good (it is very rare that games have good voice acting) and even fun gameplay. Also, it should be noted that after buying me such a present, my parents were no longer rich. They were just amazed I even made it out of high school. Everyone was, especially me. Since then I have enjoyed "Ys 3 Wanderers from Ys", also on the TurboGrafx-CD. I also played through the Genesis and SNES editions of that same game. Ys 4 was really good on the PC Engine CD (a translation patch exists). The game was less good on the Super Famicom, but it was a completely different game. Ys 5 was released exclusively on the Super Famicom from what I can tell and to my knowledge no translation exists. Years, years and more years later, Ys 6 was finally released on the PS2 and PSP and was called Ark of Neptiosdsfjiffdim. Now we finally have Ys Seven, which spells out the number because that's how stylish it is. Knowledge of previous Ys games is not needed. Suffice it to say, the games have not taken place in the land of Ys for a long, long time (since part 2 and *maybe* a bit of part 4 on the PC Engine CD).

The graphics can look kind of bland in stills, but they actually work out OK during gameplay.
You control the character who doesn't have the mini green health bar floating under him.

Story: 5/10
As I indicated above, you do not need to know anything about the previous games to jump into this one. A few references are made here and there, but you won't be left with your brain twisted in confusion as a result. We wander upon the land of Altago which finds itself in a strange predicament. As always, Adol arrives to save the day. What is nice (and has been a staple of the Ys series) is that you are fighting for the survival/continuity of that particular land, not the entire world/universe/all universes as is usually the case in JRPGs. The land of Altago is maybe about the size of Rhode Island at best, not a land that would be missed or even has the right to exist in the first place, but dammit if Adol is going to let bad things happen! The story is adequate, not fantastic and you likely won't find yourself bonding with any of the characters much, but it does what it needs to do. As with most games these days, it is extremely wordy. Dialog scenes go on and on and on, and everyone always has something to say. Oh how I miss the days of restricted cartridge space and limited RAM, developers were forced to choose their text wisely and scenes didn't drag on as a result. There are no "cinema intermissions" in this game despite the fact that the PSP is supposedly more powerful than the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-CD. What's up with that? Games just don't have as much style these days. At least not the Ys games, but don't let that put you off too much.

A boss fight!! Switching between the characters is also a good way to prevent them from losing too much health,
as the character that is currently in your control will take most of the beating. Other characters still help attack.

Graphics: 6.8/10
Since we are living in the fabled year of 2010, we have to deal with the law that was passed by the world leaders stating that ALL graphics must always be made out of polygons because the kids these days think polygons are "cool". Well, I think some well-done sprites are better than polygons for games like this any day. Oh, by the way, GET OFF MY LAWN! But this game works despite the simple polygon models and the grainy textures. You can see the PS1-quality grain if you hook your PSP up to a TV with the component video cable. The bosses look pretty cool for the most part and the monsters look cool, too. I didn't notice any graphical glitches like clipping anywhere. The only thing that really sucks is during boss fights and the camera zooms way out, making it difficult to discern which character you are controlling since you have a multi-member party. Still, while not highly praise-worthy, there certainly isn't much to complain about regarding the graphics.

Sound: 8.8/10
The sound effects themselves are adequate and there is no voice acting in this game. This might be a blessing in disguise given the quality of most of today's videogame voice actors who find themselves in Japanese games in America. If this game had spoken dialog, there would not be the likes of Thomas Hayden Church (Tombstone, Spider-man 3, Easy A), Michael Bell (O.G. Transformers), and Alan Oppenheimer (Adventures of the motherf*ckin' Gummi Bears) as there were in the original game(s) on the TuroGrafx-CD. Instead we'd probably get shitty acting like that found in "Tales of…" games. That would make the game as a whole much less enjoyable. There are a few vocal utterances when you select a character, but the performances are not long enough to be judged. The music in the game is the best since Ys 4. That's not to say that parts 5 and 6 didn't have good music, they did (especially 6), but they were not on the level of this game. There aren't really any musical selections that are bad, but there are a few (like the town themes, for instance) that you certainly wouldn't want to put on your iPod or some other sort of device which plays illegal MP3s. Definitely a great soundtrack here with a variety of great tunes, many of them very Falcom-sounding.

Lots of innocent animals like bunnies and slime-thingies roam the land. Murder them to gain items, money and experience.
They have no friends, so it's OK. You can even hack at their corpses to get more items to synth into weapons and the such.

Gameplay: 8.3/10
This is the first Ys game where you can play as a non-Adol character, at least that I can certainly recall. You travel in a party with 2 other characters running around with you, switching between them on the fly with the CIRCLE button. Each character has their own strengths. For example, there are fleshy, crusty and flying enemies. Characters like Adol can damage the fleshy enemies but can't do much to the crusty or flying enemies. Likewise, other characters may do maximum damage to crusty or flying enemies. You select the character you need to use to defeat a particular enemy. It can get hectic when there are many different enemy types onscreen at once, but it really isn't confusing as it may seem early on. Sometimes you have even more members in your party, but to play as them you must go into the menu and replace one of your current characters with them. This can be a pain sometimes. There are also items that can be equipped by the entire party, like special shoes that allow you to walk over spiky areas or underwater. Later in the game you will find yourself switching back and forth between all of these items as you will run across a spiky area and immediately go underwater. This menu is accessed with the TRIANGLE button and gets a bit annoying but it isn't overdone enough to make it frustrating. There are also special moves that can be assigned to each button for each character that is accessed by pressing said button while holding down the R button. You can level these attacks up as well and even gain a super-mega attack like some schmuck. It's just complicated enough so that today's gamers are satisfied and yet simple enough so that ancient gamers like me who have a hard time remembering more than two buttons can somehow make it through. Some super-sophisticated gamers may be disappointed to learn that this game does not utilize the Steel Battalion controller for the Xbox. I do recommend remapping the controls so that SQUARE is the attack and ECCHS is the dash. All game should allow button remapping.

The game took me a bit over 20 hours to complete which is just about right, I'd say. I think anywhere between 15 and 20 hours is good. The game overstays its welcome just a little bit, but not enough to bitch about. Most games made today definitely don't know when to end. It was nice to see a game where I didn't have to re-fight all of the bosses again or 16 different forms of the final boss. The game is never overly difficult and only a bit of grinding is really necessary, maybe an hours' worth here or there. The boss fights are a bit long, especially at first, since they have crazy amounts of HP, but any gamer these days is disappointed with boss fights that last less than half an hour. Everything these days needs to be "OMG EPIC!!!". This game doesn't quite go to that level, thankfully. I had lots of fun playing this game, probably more so than Ys 6 and definitely more so than Ys 5. And for those who haven't played an Ys game in a loooong time, yes you must press a button to swing your sword, no more Hydlide mechanics here.

You can see some of the PS1-quality grain/dithering in this shot. Here we are seen obtaining
some of the Titano's "fluid". Yeah. I'll let you figure that one out, Mr. Sticky.

Wrap up:
I bought a PSP to play this game, since it is exclusive to the portable. Would I have rather played it on a real console? Yes, but I do not regret my purchase. This is definitely one of the best games for the PSP and I should know since I own up to 4 PSP games. Other PSP games are not as good or otherwise I would own them for sure. So there you have it!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:00 AM   #1601
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Great review.
The jokes hit the mark, except for maybe beating the 'today's gamers' thing a few meters too far into the ground by the end there.

I'm looking forward to getting Ys Seven sometime. I wish they would maybe revisit the land of Ys itself in a big-budget console sequel, but I don't think that'll ever happen.

Oh, and I think many people would best remember Alan Oppenheimer as Falcor in the Neverending Story.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #1602
Seraph
>:3

I want this game a lot.

So I can really jump right into Y's 7 without playing the others? I thought the storyline in Y's was one long continuation. They are also bringing some of the other Y's games to PSP which I might get depending on how I like 7.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #1603
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Good review Josephat! I think I am about 4 or so hours from finishing.

I haven't mapped my buttons but currently the L button is the super moon attack button. I've accidentally hit that button multiple times wasting my moon gauge which as you know takes a long time to refill. I do have a ring that allows for it to refill quicker but apparently I only have one finger that can hold a ring. WTF? Why can't all 10 fingers have a ring on them???

Anyways the music is really awesome which makes me happier that I bought the super duper limited edition with soundtrack, map and art book. I think it was limited to about 200,000 or something. Super Rare!
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #1604
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I'd like to take a gander at the art book, but the cloth map seems kind of useless. I remember Ys Book 1 & 2 on the TurboGrafx-CD came with a paper map (which I still have) which was also completely useless. Maybe today's gamers need a cloth map so their little minds don't get too confused and they can also use it to wipe the drool from their chin!

Seraph, of coz you can jump right in, it won't ruin anything. Yes, they are remaking Ys 1 and 2 AGAIN and this time it will be on the PSP. I nearly fell asleep playing the DS remake. Ys 3 is being remade as Oath in Felajifsggna. This is actually an old remake and is just being ported to the PSP. The original remake didn't have any scrolling and was more of a side-view, but I think they are redoing it for PSP, I don't know. The original Ys 3 had scrolling. No word on an Ys 4 or 5 remake.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #1605
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

As always, a great review.

So does Y's: Books I & II on the DS suck or something? I bought Y's for the DS a while back, as it was on clearance for $20, came with a soundtrack and I always wanted to check the series out. I didn't really have time to play it when I bought it, but I do plan to check it out one of these days.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote