The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 02-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #91
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty0061 View Post
its just not good enough compared to 6.9 or 6.89 material
It's really more like 6.882 if you want to get technical.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:36 PM   #92
Dj Jimmi Zero

DJM:C is based off of the Korean pop group Clazziquai like Guitar Hero Metallica. Clazziquai is basically your beginners entry into the DJ Max series. I have an extra copy of DJ Max Portable 2 to sell if your interested shaselai.

Ganguro Gals fo Life!
Dj Jimmi Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #93
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
It's really more like 6.882 if you want to get technical.
you missed a few 6.8828876554455677886656443222
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #94
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Jimmi Zero View Post
DJM:C is based off of the Korean pop group Clazziquai like Guitar Hero Metallica. Clazziquai is basically your beginners entry into the DJ Max series. I have an extra copy of DJ Max Portable 2 to sell if your interested shaselai.
i got the djmax portable 2. Clazziquai is still tough although i think it is more enjoyable than black square. One downside for Clazziquai is it doesnt load IF my memory card (16gb) is in it - but if i take it out and wait for the game to load then put it in it is fine...
Old 02-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #95
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

the last rebellion PS3 - nothing witty to say here...

Last rebellion - PS3 RPG

Story - 6
Basically you and your king has been killed by your best friend. You have been revived by a Sealer (someone who can seal souls) and you try to stop your best friend from releasing the seals to the god Formival (who is the god of life). The catch of your revival is that you and the sealer now shares the same body so only one can appear in the world at one time. It is also noted that you represent goddes of death Milkhilla. The reason god of life seems to be the "bad guy" is because he has the power to revive the dead including monsters and that is kinda bad for the human population you know....

The characters are mostly not that interesting but they are semi intelligent so it's not like a bunch of idiots..

Tons of spoiler plot analysis:

The story is basically your best friend lost his lover from a war and he is set to release Formival's powers so he can revive her. The king knew about it and let himself killed so that when Formival's power does get released he can then be killed so no more revivals EVER. The plot is not about world domination but about a person who wants to revive his lover and a king who wants to get rid of never-ending cycle of life.

Sound 6.5
The combat music can get boring pretty quick - only 4-5 different types and the random encounter is always the same. Sound effects are few out of combat. You dont hear much sound effects (walking, environment sounds etc.) but the dungeon music is not bad.

graphics 6.5
I dont think the direction of the graphics is bad. The characters are anime like which is not bad at all. The cutscenes are done with anime like still shots which is OK given the art direction i suppose. The world itself is a bit dry. Considering you are from a castle and you travel to another city, there's no townsfolk to speak of unless you count those midget things townsfolks? Another huge drawback is the monster design. the monsters themselves are OK but there are only like 10 unique designs. There are many monsters but each dungeon is usually 2-3 unique designs. You can see orc magician, orc knight, orc but they all share the same design with maybe a small change (size/color) here and there but that's not acceptable. If there are 20ish unique designs i think i give it 1 more point.

gameplay 6

due to story elements you control essentially 2 characters in one body. What this means is you share exp,hp,mp,cp, stats etc. There are equitable accessories to make each char unique (like increase damage etc.). The basic turn involves you selecting what actions you want your chars to do and basically you as a group go first or the monsters (depending on speed). There are two ways to deal damage - attacking different body parts of monsters or casting magic. When you attack body parts they get "stamped" so your magic can hit them - otherwise your offensive magic wont be able to do anything. If you get a correct sequence of hitting the body parts you get "bingo" bonus to exp/item drops and the stamped parts last longer - it is not required to find the correct sequence at all.

Due to story elements you cant "kill" the monsters unless you seal their souls so when you make them unconscious you have 1-2 turns to seal them or they come back to life full health and tougher - this could be a good thing if you want to level gain but if you get too greedy you might not come out alive....

The encounter rates can be quite high as monsters regenerate rather quickly and if they see you they will eventually catch you unless you are "running"(using the spell). Finally the worst part of this innovative gameplay is that since you are playing as one person all the alignment effects happens on BOTH chars so if you get paralyze both your char gets paralyzed which can be pretty bad. Also, there's no shops and you find items only through chests (some are reopenable with more keys) so items can be quite scarce... You gain MP/HP back by absorbing (MP) or sealing (HP) monsters - it really wasnt too much of a problem..

Overall:6.25

I think the game is OK. a bit short for RPG but i was glad when it was over. The plot is OK and i think it couldve been better with more chars though. Gameplay was a innovative but some parts really made it annoying. I think if the monsters were more diverse and the gameplay made better it couldve gotten ~8.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #96
murray
<insert witty motto>

lets call it a 6
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #97
darren
... lol

nah .. 6.2555555555
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 02-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #98
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

hah
Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #99
darren
... lol

Seriously tho. Ign gave this a 3 and they score high for most stuff ... Rpgamer.com gave it 1.5/5.

You would really give it an 8 with more diverse mobs?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #100
murray
<insert witty motto>

An IGN 3 in real terms is a -1
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #101
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
Seriously tho. Ign gave this a 3 and they score high for most stuff ... Rpgamer.com gave it 1.5/5.

You would really give it an 8 with more diverse mobs?
i might give it ~8 or maybe just 7.5 if gameplay and graphics improve. The game is not horrid - it is just OK. From my review categories the only part they could've improved on are sound, gameplay and graphics. I think the overall graphics is OK just need more diversity, again gameplay is unique - not your normal turn based combat so i give it some props. But again if they had fixed a couple of things the combat couldve been decent.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #102
darren
... lol

whats the story like then? with it being an rpg its kinda the most important thing, all the reviews i've seen have simply described it as awful

rpgamer really did hold back .. lol

Quote:
At least as far as Last Rebellion has a story, anyways. This is a tale better left untold. Not only is it written poorly, but it's also told poorly and translated poorly, a triple whammy of putrescence that nobody in their right mind will be able to care about. The characters are bland and uninteresting, and change their personalities so often that it just becomes confusing. Nine goes from being an apathetic whiner to a vicious vigilante in half a second. The plot makes sense in that you can generally figure out what's going on, but important facts that weren't even mentioned when they occurred are regularly pulled out of thin air to drive the story forward and explain the insane and nonsensical machinations of Alfred and other villainous characters. It doesn't help that all of this is told through cutscenes, and I use the term loosely, that consist of static images and character portraits, accompanied by awful voice acting of weak and awkward dialogue.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #103
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

i did spoiler alert a part of the story. Again it is not the typical "world domination" or "annihilate everything" in RPGs so it was in that aspect kinda refreshing. The plot does not affect people globally in the sense that it takes place in a country between 2 kingdoms (unless those are the only kingdoms in existence)
Old 03-06-2010, 01:34 AM   #104
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

kingdom hearts 385/2 days - hah, heh heh, heh heh heh

Kingdom hearts 385/2 days Nintendo DS

Story - 8
You play as Roxas, a new recruit to the organization 13. You meet new friends and performs tasks given by the top dogs of the organization - mostly involving gathering hearts since you seem to be the only one who can gather hearts.... Axel, a fire elemental member(seen from KH2) and xion, another new member are your friends and the story revolves around the 3. It has slight references to characters from KH2 and also chars from disney movies as well. I can't really expand much in the nonspoiler part. If you have played KH2 you will probably know the "ending" of this game....

Heavy spoilage -

Basically Roxas is sora's nobody and xion is a replica who is supposed to absorb Roxas so the organization can keep Sora asleep while controlling Xion who will be able to have all of Sora's powers. Sora doesnt find out until the end although Axel knew but didnt want to tell him about Xion. In the end Xion got killed by Roxas and Roxas got taken out by Riku and leads to the beginning of KH2. It is good story overall but it is quite sad and "predictable" if you have played KH2

Sound 7.5
The music is not bad but it is very unoriginal since most of the tracks are recycled from KH2. Worlds like beast castle, twilight town etc. has the same soundtracks as the other game - even boss fights. There might have been a couple of original tracks but overall i cant give it a high score for recycling.

graphics 8.5
The graphics is not bad for DS game. The animated scenes are done well. Some of the monsters are nice but the selection is not that big. There are variation of flowers, flying wizards, big guys etc. - kinda like Last Rebellion. The stages are well designed although again a bit unoriginal since it is recycled from other KH game. There is a handful of worlds to explore - i think none were "new".

gameplay 8
This is one game where i wished i had the analog stick from psp rather than the d pad. most of the time the d pad is OK in maneuvering but some stages like the ones you need to fly can be quite frustrating. Battle is like other kingdom hearts- you have magic/item usage on the fly and attacks like the old games so it is not bad.

The game has a shop that offers items to buy (using hearts) and to synthesize (using materials + cash) that is dependent on your rank (you gain as story moves forward). The equipment system is a panel system where you can drag panels onto available panel space to customize magic, weapon etc. When you level up you get level up panels that you have to put into the panel to actually receive the level up. Overall not a bad system. There are also a ton of abilities like high jump, dashing etc. that you can equip as well.

Overall:8.00

This game is decent. It is well thought out although a bit rehashed. It might be a bit letdown if you know the story of KH2 already so you can pretty much know what is going to happen. The game has a couple of parts where the controls becomes very frustrating but overall the gameplay is decent.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #105
Paper exe
Pwnd

Good review but...couldn't you think of any other way to tell the story without the spoiler tag? As far as I read, your comment reverse around some of the must notable twists and on the end, or the final result of all these events. These maybe the must notable events but not really what I did call "the story" of the game. You could have just mentioned the prelogie and then later set people excited by notifying some of the good features of the base of story, and the bad once too if you had any in mind. It is up to the player to reveal and progress the story.

There is no point for any one to read it. if the person didn't play the game he did lose interest, while if he did he wouldn't normally care because he already know all that that is written.

How a story ends doesn't make a story. It is rather the events, characters and the way the story is told. A story might have a horrible ending but be very good. Must story out there are made up and aren't designed for any purpose other than bold entertainment.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote