The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 02-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #76
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

yes the loyalty affects the story but you dont have to do them all so they are more of side quests than main ones - the game doesnt even require you to get everyone (i think only 3-4 then you can go directly to last part of game). Yes the biggest reason i did finish all the side stuff is because of how things are affected later on. But in the big picture you would want to form team asap and kill the bad guy rather than doing errands and "police" the galaxy. I think having a time limit of some sort would have been nice - it is not like shepherd is the only specter around nor the only guy who could save people.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #77
murray
<insert witty motto>

lol Apparently the time you spend between being able to go through the relay and actually doing it effects who lives and dies too.

If we follow your argument to its logical conclusion then the game would be...wake up, get told to stop the Collectors and then just going and doing it, it would be an hour long.
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 PM   #78
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
lol Apparently the time you spend between being able to go through the relay and actually doing it effects who lives and dies too.

If we follow your argument to its logical conclusion then the game would be...wake up, get told to stop the Collectors and then just going and doing it, it would be an hour long.
well thats one reason i dont like too open ended games. Yes the total hours will be equal to a traditional rpg where it is more linear but to me at least is not as fulfilling main story wise. Dont want it to be extremely linear but linear enough that most of the hours are in the main story rather than side/optional stuff. This is one big difference between american and japanese rpgs and it is more personal taste imo...
Old 02-18-2010, 03:53 AM   #79
Alucard

I've always enjoyed games where quests actually affect things. All the way back to the glorious days of Fallout 1-2 and other 90s games.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #80
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

dante's inferno - one example of all hell can break lose if you cheat on your wife

Dante's inferno PS3 "divine version".

Story 7.5

Let's face it, this is a hack and slash game and it really doesnt have a lot of story. Basically you are a crusader who after coming home find your wife and father killed. Worse yet a demon has captured your wife and you embark on a journey to hell to get her back. There are shades or "lost souls" who has his/her own story from different mythologies which is kinda interesting. There are a couple of surprises in the story but there's just not a whole lot of story. Also there is gonna be a sequel

Sound 7.5
Nothing too memorable and nothing too annoying either. Music is not too repetitive so that is good. The voice acting is ok overall and dante sounds like gerard butler from 300 heh...

graphics 8
It is kinda new since i havent seen many games with the circles of hell as the design. Sure GOW2 had hades but it was brief - this game is filled with it so i like its originality. The levels are mostly interesting but due to the level design it doesnt deliver great stuff throughout. The cg movies are nice and the animation is kinda interesting but i wished they had more of it though. The monsters are generally fine - maybe 10+ or so regular enemies and about each other level/circle has a boss. The big bosses are interesting but the smaller ones are OK.

gameplay 7
I know people say this is a GOW ripoff but so are every fps ripoff of whatever older fps there is right? Basically you have 2 skill trees- unholy or holy. Unholy is more melee and damaging spell skills while holy is more cross(ranged) and some support skills. With the way the game is designed you can only max out one skill tree and maybe get to L4(out of 7) on the other tree. So it caters to ranged or melee players. You also get relics which are items that can add enhancements - they are also broken into unholy/holy so you might not be able to use some of them in one walkthrough.

The combat is pretty much gow - with lots of qtes. One thing which i didn't like is the camera or lack there of. Some angles might get really awkward and no camera support really sucks. also in combat you can sometime attack guys outside the angle so you might not see what you are hitting. But overall it is OK

Overall:7.5
liked:
the circles of hell and level designs. Some character models like beatrice and the bull deamon.

didnt like:
no camera really sucked, the story is OK but could be better.

rant:spoiler

Beatrice is really idiotic. She accepts dante's apology of "i came down to hell what else you want from me" after he basically cheated on her, got her brother killed, got his dad killed, got her killed. at least her demon form looks better...
Old 02-19-2010, 02:39 AM   #81
Alucard

Its a shame everyones finding this game so mediocre. I was hoping for more.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:32 AM   #82
murray
<insert witty motto>

If only it were half as good as he descirbed it.
murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #83
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

it is interesting though. The plot is not that great but it is a fun rental. and metacritic has it at 75 so it's not like i am way out there.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:05 AM   #84
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Movie review - Percy jackson and the lightning thief

Due to popular demand i am doing movie reviews too... since probably not good idea to make another thread i will do them here...

Movie - Percy jackson and the lightning thief

Story: 6.5
Basically greek mythology is not dead and the gods do exist and they have been planting their seeds around the world. Zeus has lost his lightning bolt and immediately blames Poseidon's son percy solely because poseidon is the only god among the 3 brothers (zeus,poseidon,hades) with a kid and thus it is possible poseidon wants to kill zeus for the supreme ruler. Zeus gave percy 14 days to bring the lightning bolt back or he will start war on earth. Percy with his 2 friends ends up going on a quest to NOT find the lightning bolt so he can save the world....

acting: 6
The protagonists are not very bright at all and here are just some instances. Instead of trying to talk to zeus about the situation Percy instead goes off to rescue his mom - nice son except the world would be destroyed in 14 days so rescuing his mom should be on the backburner... Percy's friend/protector Grover the satyr (man goat) pretends to be on crutches all the time actually doesnt need crutches at all. However, once percy knows he is faking the guy is still pretending to be on crutches even when they are alone - why he wants to handicap (no pun intended) himself on the quest is mind-boggling.

Picture: 8
decent special effects. Gods wear "modern" clothing on earth but on olympus they wear togas. Some creatures like medusa, fury, hydra are done very well. some epic battle scenes as well.

Music: 7
Nothing annoying and nothing really catchy either.

overall 6.88

I guess people who read the book might like it but i certainly didnt. The gods are idiotic and the protagonists are idiots too. the only smart one here is the antagonist and he/she ends up being idiotic at the end:

Instead of letting the remaining few minutes to run out by flying as far as he can so the idiotic zeus can start the war, he/she instead chose to fight and lose....
Old 02-22-2010, 02:47 AM   #85
Alucard

Ok I'm shocked you played that. Just how much money do you waste on games?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:17 AM   #86
darren
... lol

why use 2 decimal places on the the score?
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:18 AM   #87
Shorty0061
Shorty the Butt.

its just not good enough compared to 6.9 or 6.89 material
Old 02-22-2010, 04:32 AM   #88
Paper exe
Pwnd

I tried Danat Inferno demo and it sucked badly for me at lest. And I dared to mock God of war at some points. That game became brilliant in my stander after trying these stuff.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #89
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Ok I'm shocked you played that. Just how much money do you waste on games?
this is the movie if you are referring to percy jackson..
Old 02-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #90
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

DJMax Clazziquai and black square

story: N/A
you are just a newb DJ so there's really nothing here...

graphics: 9
Both of the games have mostly anime like graphics - some are just background pics while others are animations. There are also some western inspirations as well. Overall it is very good graphics wise for the psp.

sound: 10
Well this is a musical game and many tracks are very memorable. There are more vocal tracks than non-vocal which is very good. There are quite a few DJs in making these tracks so it is not just one guy so diversity is very nice. The vocals are mostly in korean though so if you dont know korean you might not know what they are singing about. Titles are mostly in english though or with english subtitles.

Gameplay: 9
This is a review of the combo package (couldve easily broken the 2 but they are too similar..) - even in the product overview they hinted the Claz. being the "easy" version while black square is the harder one and they weren't kidding! Basically both games has similar gameplay options - Club Tour which is like DDR games where you need to beat missions to advance to the next level/club etc. Arcade where you just play whatever and also link disc for multiplaer. There is also music collection you can check out the songs which is very nice.

The game has songs varying in "beats" - 2 beat, 4 beat, 4EX beat, 5 beat, 6 beat. They basically represent how many buttons are involved in the song - so 6 beats means you will have 6 buttons to press during the game. You can set your difficulty to easy/hard but it seems the Club Tour game has it on normal/default since it is mission based. The clubtour is where you can get more DJ icons, effectors (extra options to make game easier), beat icons etc. In Claz. version you just need to beat some levels in a club to advance to the next one while in Black square you seem to have to beat all the levels to advance. Most of the levels are "beat this song on difficulty X" and some has 3-4 songs to test endurance. There are also clubs where you do DJ battle - basically these are the toughest in the sense you have solid requirements like "get 400 combos" or my least favorite "get beats above X%". The game is very forgiving in terms of you timing the beats - you can get anywhere from 100% to like 2% in the timing of beats and they keep track of the average % as you go. This is also problematic for some missions where they want you to have 95% beats which almost means you have to score mostly 100% and 90% since there's no 95%. Needless to say i am stuck on blackbox's dj level with my dj ranking of 190 (out of 200) and also stuck on DJ level of 170(out of 200) on Coz.

Overall:9.3
Overall this combo package is great value (basically 2 games for 20-30$ less than buying ind. games) but the difficulty of the club tour really turned me off. Maybe i just suck at this game and some others can do better heh. I do love most of the songs and the backgrounds are very nice as well. Great pick-me-up game as well.