The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 AM   #31
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

new Super mario wii

New Super Mario bros Wii

Story- N/A
I mean mario isnt known to have any storyline except "lets rescue dumb princess again" so i cant really give it a score.

Graphics - 9
The worlds and levels are all very colorful. You get the usual suspects for worlds - forest,ice,sand,fire etc.There are tons of stuff on screen and some of the level designs are very nice. Not sure why peach isnt in it although miyamoto(?) said because she wore a skirt? Pretty much all usual suspect enemies from other marios are here. I think they added a couple of new guys like the boulder thrower guys and light jellyfish.

Sound - 9
Music is very good. It is also very nice/cute that some enemies moves to the tune as well (i think only one track). mario and enemy sounds are pretty much the same but the level and world sounds are very good.

Gameplay - 8.5

I played alone (no friends who like wii here...) but i guess multiplayer might be better... I am not a fan of the nuchuck and wiimote combo - especially on some timing moves and the spin move. I am not sure why they cant support the classic controller at all since the only motion sensitive move that was in it couldve been done on the triggers easily.

Each world has ~7 levels and a castle and maybe a ghost house and some mushroom houses. Each level has 3 big coins you collect to unlock hint videos - basically a video showing an expert player play through a level getting a lot of the stuff... Each world has 1 boss and you fight him/her twice. Once in midcastle and last time in the end of the level where he/she gets new tricks and the level gets magically upgraded - kinda fun.

overall 8.83

Other thoughts:
this is a pretty good game and i suggest buying it or at least renting it to check it out. The music is nice, the levels are very nice and although there are a couple of "omfg just jump/spin" moments because of controls it is a very solid game overall.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #32
Vegetto
Alive

the multiplayer is insane, I haven't laughed that hard in a long time
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #33
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

Been waiting for multiplayer like this since Super Mario World.

Definately worth it.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 PM   #34
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Final fantasy IV the after years (WII)

Story- 9
Years after the end of FF4, a mysterious girl attacks Baron castle and starts to collect the crystals once again. This game is episodic by character and each character story elaborates on brief scenes you see in main story - like why is Edward on a ship? The main story definitely wants you to buy more content since it shows brief scenes from other characters. The main story doesnt feel cheap at all and things do tie together well. some new character developments (like the children) lack a bit growth and there isn't a lot of character interaction between different episodes but it is expected with the way they designed this.

Graphics - 7
It is hard to compare this with recent games since this was for the phone, and it is hard to give it a high score so i give it what i feel it is right. This could be done on the SNES although the graphics is a little better in my opinion. Pretty much everything from FF4 SNES was reused - dungeons, overmap, towns, sprites although there are obviously some new sprites but overall it is probably 95% reuse and that is being generous.

Sound - 9
Music is same as FF4 soundtrack with few new ones. The new ones are actually kinda good especially the battle theme against the mysterious girl. Again if you liked the music from the snes you will like it and maybe more since everything's reused.

Gameplay - 7
There is only 1 "mandatory" episode to purchase to "beat the game". the main story you get by default and the last story links right after the main story although if you want to know the other char's paths/stories you would have to buy more. the reason you might want to buy more is to get their stories PLUS special items as well. The 2nd part of the main story allows item/char imports from other stories so if you dont want to end with crappy levels and default items (and not grind too much). The game's difficulty is a mixbag. Sometime i feel even with the "best" equipments at the time i am still being owned by monsters. Monsters physical attack seem to be very high all around - few hits and you are dead. Support spells seem to be very useful in this game - slow especially since it works on bosses too!
For each episode there is also a challenge dungeon where you pretty much need to grind to beat it for rare items (although rarity is not guaranteed...). If you do those dungeons for items you prob end up with max level cap for that episode.
There are also 2 new battle systems - one is band and other is "moon phase". Band is basically a "combo attack" between 2+ characters that does massive damage but requires the characters all to act the same time so it van be time consuming but sometimes worth it. Moon phase determines how specific menu options (attack, magic, throw etc.) are affected. Some moon phase increases black magic effectiveness while decreasing attack, while another phase will decrease black magic effectiveness and increase white magic etc. this can be a good tactic against bosses and make your party stronger if you decide to abuse the system. Phases changes either by sleeping or just exploring.

overall:8
I really liked the game overall although i felt the designers really wanted you to grind. I ended the game ~60 and still didnt get all the spells and didnt feel like grinding especially the monsters at the end can own you pretty quick if not careful. the story could be better - i would've liked more interaction between the children like ursula/ceodore etc. It is a worthy investment nonetheless.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #35
Alucard

I'm confused a little. You give the story a 9 but then say it could be better?
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #36
Seraph
>:3

I still have to get FF4 TAY

However I am a little weary. I downloaded the demo other squareenix cell phone port, crystal defenders, and the whole thing felt really really cheap.

So my question is: how is the "presentation" of FF4 TAY? Does it give a good sense of polish like a real SNES game, or can you tell it was originally a cell phone game?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #37
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

@alucard
well 9 isnt a 10 so there's room for improvement. But the major thing is at least i didnt feel the story was cheapened in any way like FF X-2...

@ seraph
The presentation is pretty good. I never played the cell phone game so i cant tell the difference in quality but if you played the original this has slightly better graphics and very similar sounds. You could play the main story without ever touching the side ones and you wont feel "empty" but you would question why so and so is there and who is that person. One thing i forgot to mention is the encounter rate... i forgot how often it was in the original FF4 but this game the encounter rate can be as few as 4 steps in between....
Old 02-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #38
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

No more heroes 2 wii

Story- 6
There's really not much story to this at all. Basically you are avenging the death of your friend Bishop and you are starting from the bottom killing your way to the top. There are story intermissions/flash forward etc. but i think it wouldve been better if there was more story on each assassin though.

Graphics - 8
Not sure if it is intentional or not when wielding the beam saber sometimes you see beams just floating around you like lag. The boss designs are very nice and unique but the enemy types could be more... The 8 bit mini games are kinda cool.

Sound - 7.5
Some parts of the levels have pretty cool music while other parts lack music to make the battle go "faster". The sound effects gets very repetitive as well.

Gameplay - 8
The game is basically broken down to this routine:
1. get mission
2. exercise your cat
3. workout to increase stamina and strength
4. work/shop
5. do challenge missions
6. do main mission.
7 repeat

Each dungeon is more or less "kill everything" until you get to the boss. There are quite a few mini games - the cat exercising minigame, the BJ5 video game in your apartment (an aerial shooter), the part-time work minigames and the workout mini games. The part-time work games are mostly in 8-bit, some might be frustrating while some can be pretty good. The workout mini game is your way of "leveling up" - you run on the treadmill without falling off to get stamina increase and hit dumbbells to increase muscle. They can be frustrating but both very doable.

There are 2 shops - one sells 2 weapons and another sells clothes so you can customize travis. Didnt bother with clothing too much though.

The combat in this game can be extremely easy on normal enemies - just keep attacking with the beam saber and that's it. There are gunman who shoots at you and can be kinda annoying if there are more than 1 but not that annoying. You do get wrestling moves but since the saber is so much better there's not much use of those moves. You can "finish" most enemies in a gory mess and get to spin a slot where you get bonus powers for a short while. The boss fights are mostly different - some of them you can hack and slash + evade through while others you need to see a pattern and hack and slash then. Some bosses are plain unfair - especially the ones that shoots at you - since you dont have any invulnerability like other games when falling to the ground after an attack there are instances where you get shot down, get up and shot down again.

The biggest disappointment is the camera - on the first few stages it is not a big deal but on the later stages, especially boss fights it is a huge deal. Basically you can lock on to the enemy but it doesnt restrict you turning so sometimes your back is behind the enemy, plus when you get knocked down your back might be behind the enemy as well and against bosses they basically get a free shot at you while you are getting up and trying to figure out where the boss is. Certainly not a game breaker but certainly very frustrating at times..

overall: 7.375

The game is pretty short (beat <8 hours) and some parts are enjoyable. However, the repetitive combat system, the camera and the lack of story really drove down the score...
Old 02-03-2010, 03:14 PM   #39
Alucard

Hows the story compared to the first one though
Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #40
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Hows the story compared to the first one though
I never played the first one but from reading some posts first one seems to be:

Travis got invited by Sylvia to join UAA battle - turned out henry is his brother and travis ended up getting conned by Sylvia - the end.

NMH2 is:
travis's buddy dies and he rejoins UAA (with revenge and sex in mind) to battle to the top to kill the person who called the hit on his friend. He meets henry/shinobu on his way to the top - the end.

so it's for you to decide i guess...
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #41
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Mass Effect 2 (xbox 360)

Story- 9
The premise is that you are a revived Shepherd who is trying to stop an alien group called the collectors from collecting humans and doing XYZ with them. The game connects events from ME1 very well - chars you saved/helped make cameo appearances or just drop an email to thank you again. Since most of the party members are new, the older ones are also mentioned and some play more important parts than others. Besides the relatively short main story there are side stories per companion - most of them pretty decent. There's definitely more events to be continued in ME3.

Graphics - 9
the graphics is decent most of the time but the human models are just a bit off - they look very freakish for some reason... I liked Uncharted 2 models better. The other aliens are good though. there are some graphical glitches (very few) like framerate problems. The worlds are designed very well especially the cities.

Sound - 9
Sound is pretty good most of the time - some old tracks returns but not that many to cheapen the experience. The voice-overs are pretty good most of the time. The dialogues are very amusing as well.

Gameplay - 9
The game is made easier in some parts and harder in other aspects. For starters there are less skills to learn and no more "utility" skills like hacking or decoding,instead you can just hack/decode without using any skills. Each companion has about 5 total skills - 2 unique and 3 class skills - so there's definitely quite a bit of overlap between chars. If you beat the loyalty mission for companion you can learn his/her loyalty skill - some are pretty good. Also some skills/classes are just plain useless for higher difficulties due to shielding/armor etc.

Weapon/armor has been changed as well - only Shepherd can change his armor's look and abilities but there's really not a whole lot of armor pieces to get in the game (maybe 3-4 per piece?) and mostly underwhelming. Weapons are now researched by purchasing from stores or from item boxes and everyone can use the same weapons if their class allows it - this way it reduces buying weapons for all but also there's not many choices.. only like ~3 weapons per type except for heavy weapons which can be only used by shepherd. Also, there's no overheating and you need ammo like FPS - i guess they did it to prevent weapon spamming.

Money is short in this game - you probably cant get all upgrades in one run and you need to scan planets to find side quests and resources to research upgrades/weapons.

the combat is more or less the same except once you use a power you cant use others unlike in ME1. The health system is changed a bit too - it now auto regenerates instead of having to use medkits to heal although you can still do it. You can aim at limbs whatnot but usually the best way is to just aim at the head or the body for quick death.

Overall: 9

The main story is a bit short but fulfilling nevertheless. There's something seriously wrong with what the humans look like in this game - some look like freaks. I missed the "unlimited ammo" from the original game and feel it is too fps now with ammo clips. The weird reasoning for the "new weapon clips" is that you dont need to wait for the weapon to cool but i rather have the "old tech" since i have unlimited ammos compared to not being able to use the gun at all without these "new tech thermal clips". The scanning world thing is OK but i rather have more money to buy everything - theres no way to earn extra money AT ALL since you find money only in quests and there's nothing you can sell to get more money.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #42
Alucard

I hope its a lot better than the first one. Playing the first at the moment but I honestly cant see what the whole fuss is. I can name far more negatives in this game than positives. I'm really not enjoying it and I'm a bit of a long time bioware whore since early days.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #43
memory to zack

What is it you don't like?
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:52 AM   #44
Alucard

The main character doesnt really have that much charisma. He's sort of dull. The vehicle is the WORST thing ever designed in a game. Makes the whole point to exploring worlds like a slap in the face. Inventory system is pure shit. The actual control of the player is clumsy and frustrating at times. The story is actually pretty simple despite everything I've heard. Not a fan of the combat style but thats not really bad programming, just preference on my part. I dont know so far the game is very very average. The first half of the game was pure SNORE. I almost uninstalled it 3 times but kept going because friends said it does get better. I'm onto the final mission. I'm still waiting for it to get better.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #45
memory to zack

About the vehicle, equipment and player control I agree as well. About Shepard, I prefer Jennifer Hale (female Shepard) over Mark Meer (male Shepard). Male Shepard sounds a bit ridiculous as Paragon, Renegade suits him better.
You didn't do any extra quests I suppose? Good, because it would involve more Mako and the same 'dungeon' design over and over.

ME2 gets rid of the inventory system and Mako.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote