The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 12-06-2009, 02:43 AM   #1
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Shaselai's game reviews....

Ok I am sorting my reviews here so people can see whichever ones they like...

Games:

Adventures to go
Assasin's creed 2
Zelda spirit tracks
Darksiders
New super mario wii
Final fantasy IV the after years
no more heroes 2
Mass effect 2
White knight chronicles
Bioshock 2
Dante's inferno
DJ Max clazziquai and black square
the last rebellion

Movies:
Percy jackson and the lightning thief

I guess i will try do some reviews from now on... Grading scale is out of 10 for story, graphics,sound,gameplay,other (lower means more nuisance/problems)

Magna Carta 2 - xbox 360

Story- 7.5
Basically an evil prime minister killed the queen and started a war and the princess formed an alliance to fight against him. Can't spill too much or it becomes too spoilery. Although story is a bit generic in terms of "saving the world" but it has some twists to not be a total failure.

Graphics - 8
pretty decent but i liked the art book's model more than the 3d models. Monsters are somewhat diverse and has decent details.

Sound - 7
Soundtrack is mostly forgivable. Some tracks are great but the problem is the short track in a huge world - it gets repeated way too much and gets too repetitive.

Gameplay - 7
Battle is like final fantasy 12 where it is all open world and you fight whoever you want. Characters has stamina and that restricts how many actions they can do before they "overheat" and just stands there for a while. To use skills characters needs to charge their Kan - non magic users can store their kan points while wizard types needs to stay in a general area or they lose the kan points they generate. I find regular attacks are the best since skills eats up too much stamina and the animation gets annoying.

There is a lot to customize - you can customize your weapons by inserting komonds which gives stat/effect upgrades - the stat upgrades are very important since leveling up increases some attributes 1-2 points so not a lot of improvement. The leveling system is level based - you get more points if your level is below the monster's levels and if you overlevel you will end up gaining very little exp making level gain much harder. You do get 2 fighting styles - wizards basically get close/ranged and fighters gets 2 diff weapon types. Each style has its own tree and that is upgradeable through skill points from leveling up.

Your chars also has unique field skills like lighting a fire and lifting plants but it is pretty much useless since there are like only 2-3 instances of those ever being used.

other - 6

This game has quite a few flaws but overall an improvement over MC1. First of all this game is still VERY LINEAR. You are pretty much story driven and cant stray far until much later in the game. Quests are plenty but some may be lost due to linear gameplay since sometimes you cant return to quest areas. Secondly, the AI in this game sucks - you pretty much need a healer, you as main offense guy and a ranged char. There are only 3 options for AI actions and none of them are any good except healer. The AI doesnt seem to use any high level skills and tends to burn more on boosting skills and level 1 skills instead of "smart skills" like AOE when enemies grouped etc.

Overall 7.1

The story has some interesting elements and there is no true "evil" so it was kind fulfilling after beating it. The battle system is OK but i find most of the skills too expensive to use and pretty much boss only. AI is a killer for me, i find my self in a "facepalm moment" whenever the AI is healing herself of a negative status element while she is STANDING on the negative status field thus starts the endless chain of cure status-> get negative status-> cure status->get negative status..... I really hope they make a 3rd one because i did enjoy it overall....

critiques? hope it helps some magna carta 2 on the fencers...

Last edited by shaselai; 02-28-2010 at 09:36 PM.
shaselai is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
memory to zack

Your review certainly helped me to decide against MC2. I was on the fence.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory to zack View Post
Your review certainly helped me to decide against MC2. I was on the fence.
i would suggest renting it.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #4
memory to zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaselai View Post
i would suggest renting it.
I don't like renting games. Either own them or not. But trading it is a possibility.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Adventures to go - PSP

Story- 6
This is one of those games that has very little story - basically you are an adventurer who just wants "loot". He gets loot by killing monsters in this artificially created dungeon with summoned monsters. The service is used by a lot of "adventurers" and that is how he met his other companions.. There's a lot of humor in it.

Graphics - 7
It is ok - monsters could be repetitive a bit. Environment is not that bad - the dungeons are all randomly generated so it could be a bit repetitive.

Sound - 7
Sound is OK - nothing that great but nothing that annoys the heck outta me,

Gameplay - 7
You have your char specific weapons and you have your elemental properties. Each char can equip 2 weapons for in-battle switching which is kinda nice. Spells are made by fusing crystals together like a recipe and each char has a limit of how many different spells he/she can hold. Each spell can be cast X number of times depending on how many times you create the spell again.
The battle system uses AP - you turn it costs 1, you move it costs 1 etc. The battle takes place in the area the encounter started so the environment plays a role in your positioning and maneuverability. With that said one of the major flaws of the game is you cant move through your chars - so if you have chars who are faster than others in front of him/her you are kinda stuck sitting there or just cast spells....
The game itself is quest-driven, basically every chapter someone wants you to get something from the artificial dungeon so you have to recreate the environment to get to that item. For example, someone wants a pig's hide so you have to create the dungeon using plains X plains x plains to have the pig appear. It is not that much trial and error since that person basically tell you what the environment is.
The money in this game is somewhat scarce. You basically have to pay to create dungeons and you need to make enough loot to cover the cost. The weapons and armor can be a bit expensive but with the dungeon system setup you really have to fight a lot of monsters to get the money to buy the items AND to cover the dungeon creation cost.

Overall 6.75

The story is nonexistent but the game tries to make it up with humor and gameplay. Gameplay couldve been much better if you can move through your chars and money could be more easily obtained. When i play this i just feel i am not accomplishing much since the adventures are basically inside an artificial dungeon and all they want is to get loot - certainly not the generic "save the world" but it is not too exciting either...
Old 12-11-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Assassin's . Creed. 2

Assassin's Creed 2 - PS3

Story- 9
This story continues right after AC1. The main char will dive into the Animus as Ezio now and instead of being a full fledged assassin like AC1 he will start fresh. The story is more fleshed out in this one as well. They made good use of historical figures and events but I think there's too much char and info overload and some chars you interact with stick around too short or just for specific missions - not too much attachment here. The story introduced many new elements and surprises but left with many questions unanswered and yet another cliffhanger which AC3 will undoubtedly continue from where AC2 left at.

Graphics - 9.5
It is great - enemies becomes too repetitive to look at. Great scenery but some char design are just atrocious - kristen bell for example...

Sound - 8.5
I really didnt notice much in the music department here - was busy paying than listening but some soundtracks are very good while others i just didnt care for. The voice choices are pretty nice and i kinda find it annoying they switch english with italian in middle of sentences...

Gameplay - 8
This is basically like AC1 - you can roam around and do side quests as long as you are within the current zone or you die. You can now collect feathers and treasures and you also own your stronghold that generates obscene amount of money later on so money is almost never an issue as long as you setup the stronghold early. The combat system is kinda dull - although you have a lot of different weapons but the basic is still you swing and parry. Some later enemies parry too many times and you might find yourself trying to land a hit after 5-6 attacks. The enemy AI overall is OK - they chase you pretty well but sometimes it takes like 4-5 instant kills to have them realize i am silent killing them...

You can collect paintings, dye your clothing and get different weapons throughout the game - but the most efficient way to kill is still parrying and counter which is an instant kill so many might like high deflecting weapons. You get upgrades to the assassin weapons but i never bothered with them except the dual kill gadget (the poison was quite useless).

Overall 8.75

I enjoyed this overall - there were some frustrating parts of the game like combat but overall it was not bad. The story is kinda interesting and the pacing was not bad although i wouldve liked more "real world" screentime though.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Zelda spirit tracks

Zelda Spirit tracks DS-

Story- 6
There's really not much to it - basically the spirit tracks (train tracks) disappeared and Zelda's body been taken - it is up to Link and zelda's spirit to restore the tracks and ultimately get her body back while beating the bad guys. There are some references to the previous games so some people might find it interesting.

Graphics - 8
I guess from DS perspective it is not bad. It is catoony like the previous ones. Quite a few different types of enemies.

Sound - 7
It is OK. Nothing too annoying but nothing that great either. Link only has like 2 lines - "ah" and "hah". Old zelda sounds are mixed in there too - i think it is like a tradition?

Gameplay - 7
Basically to travel to any of the 4 zones you need to climb a tower and go through a dungeon laid with puzzles to get the track piece which will make tracks appear so you can travel around the area. Then you travel to a village, do some errands and travel to a shrine. At the shrine there is a Locomo who you need to do a duet using your pipe and microphone -after that you get another track piece which leads you to the dungeon where you need to beat the boss and light up the track.

The controls are OK although a bit frustrating at times, everything is stylus based so it takes a bit of getting used to. Zelda only helps you out at the tower where you get the tracks from. Basically in the tower you need to get 3 spirit tears while avoiding phatoms who will kill you in one strike. After getting the 3 tears you can attack phantoms and have zelda posses it and help you solve puzzles (step on buttons, push stuff, walk across lava etc.). The controls for zelda can be frustrating at times since she follows her route to a T and you really need to make it not touch anything or she just hangs there.

There are some side quests like helping a rabbit molester catch rabbits, delivery lumber and ice to different villagers, and finding stamps across the land.

Another aspect of the game is traveling by train - you basically hop on the train and use it to get to any part of the map - it can get annoying as there are these phantom trains that will kill you in one shot and are faster than you so they will always catch you if going a straight route. There is train customization but it seems to be only a skin and doesnt increase your train's speed, power or health - a pity really.

Overall 7
This is one game that i just felt like poking through the lcd screen with my stylus (tried but the tip broke and almost hit my eye..). I really hated the stylus control and the zelda controls are not that great either. It is playable sure but it is one game where i just want it to be over so i can write a review....
Old 01-11-2010, 02:08 AM   #8
shaselai
RPG Fanboy

Darksiders

Story- 6
The story is just like the backcover - Armageddon started early and you as War is framed and is on a rampage to clear his name. The story is there but most of the game is basically a fetch quest and there's not a whole lot of story being filled till later. The story is kinda interesting when it's there.

Graphics - 8
The graphics are certainly nice. Some boss battles are epic but there are also some issues with treasure chest and freezes which prevents a higher score.

Sound - 9
Sound is actually pretty good. Great overall soundtrack. The battle music is very nice as well and the voice acting is pretty good too.

Gameplay - 8
Being a horseman War is kinda weak. Jumping is pretty tight - if you miss by a little it's a fall... The game is basically split into 4 major quests where each quest is a boss and unlocks a new equipment to help beat that area (like grappling hook) and there are also secondary weapons as well. Your weapons can be leveled up and also enhanced with items you get throughout the game.

This adventure game has a lot of puzzles - almost every other area is a puzzle and some can be frustrating as well. Also boss battles are very simple in terms of execution - find weak spot, avoid attacks, attack weak spot rinse and repeat. The fact that you can kill a boss 3-4 times after getting his weak spot makes your magic and other skills kinda useless - you could beat the entire game with just hack and slash and not use magic at all.

The shop system is a merchant who has shopping spots across the land and you can buy skills, items and upgrades and the currency is the souls of the enemies you defeat.

other - 8
Overall this game is decent and i am looking forward to the sequel. I would hope the next game have less puzzles - not that i dont like them but there's just way too many puzzles in the game. Also i hope they expand the story more because there's almost no plot advancement in like 80% of the game since it is a "fetch quest" most of the time.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
darren
... lol

not less puzzles .. more puzzles.. .. less puzzles would make it just another 3d hack un slash game

best way to describe Darksiders is Zelda meets a hack and slash .. lots of fun
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #10
Alucard

I'm not sure what it is about darksiders but I'm one of the ones who dont like it at all. Character feels too heavy, all his moves look fimilar, you cant grab unless the game lets you, cameras a bit dodgy, story is just...god... I found it extremely dull.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:10 AM   #11
darren
... lol

camera work is fine, not had a single issue with it .. to me the charater design looks like WOW:BC
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
Old 01-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #12
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I think Darksiders would be a good $20 or less used game. I hear the controls are fairly complicated at times. I thought this was an Xbox 360-only game, but I guess it is on PS3 as well, minus the screen tearing and frame rate drops.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #13
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
camera work is fine, not had a single issue with it .. to me the charater design looks like WOW:BC
See thats the thing, Joe Mad isnt copying WoW. He's copying anime style. Thats his whole thing. His western anime version. Its how his comics always were.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:40 AM   #14
darren
... lol

Not saying he copied wow, just that it reminded me of wow:bc . not that its a bad thing tbh

plus on a positive side i think Mark Hamill does some voice work on the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
I think Darksiders would be a good $20 or less used game. I hear the controls are fairly complicated at times. I thought this was an Xbox 360-only game, but I guess it is on PS3 as well, minus the screen tearing and frame rate drops.
one things the controls are not is complicated .. who ever said that is a bit of a muppet
Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #15
Zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I'm not sure what it is about darksiders but I'm one of the ones who dont like it at all. Character feels too heavy, all his moves look fimilar, you cant grab unless the game lets you, cameras a bit dodgy, story is just...god... I found it extremely dull.
i agree with everything posted. you forgot the animations suck too, with lots of missing transitions between them. looks rushed.

but like joe said, it could worth picking up for $20 for some mindless hack n slash.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote