The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 07-17-2009, 05:53 PM   #1531
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Welcome to Joe Redifer's Super-Awesome Quick Takes™!! These are mini-reviews which do not feature a score, are described only briefly and are not divided up into different categories like graphics and gameplay, etc. Tons of pics aren't shown and I just ramble off the top of my head what I am currently thinking about any particular game. Many different games will be featured in each Quick Take™ post. Only the extreme power of the internet could dare make this possible!

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (featuring Wii Motion Plus)
Nintendo Wii

Tiger Woods is always ready to whore himself out.

I just had to try out this game because of the much-heralded Motion-Plus™ technology which brings 100% precision and reduces lag (the onscreen character moves before YOU move, that's how much lag it gets rid of). To be honest, I didn't notice any difference or improvements between this and other, similar games on the Wii. To be fair, I did not try it back-to-back without the Motion-Plus dongle. Either way I can't feel the weight of the club so swinging isn't very life-like. I also can't really judge the depth very well when putting and I always hit it too hard. The disc golf mode is kind of fun, but again I can't feel the weight of the Frisbee so I can't judge how "hard" I need to swing/throw the thing. The graphics seem inferior to the Gamecube versions of Tiger Woods from what I remember, except that this is in 16:9.

House of the Dead: Overkill
Nintendo Wii

Cussing improves everything.

What the hell is this? A classic Sega franchise returns, but this time it brings lots and lots of cussin' because that's what Sega fans want (they do a lot of cussing themselves these days over how much worse Sega has become). Actually, I am surprised that the Wii even possesses the ability to cuss. This game tries to be a Quentin Tarantino flick (think: Death Proof) by putting a shitty film scratch filter over the entire game and the like. I guess videogames are prone to film damage caused by incompetent projectionists. The black character in the game says "Motherfucker" a lot since I guess that's what black people do. The game is just like any House of the Dead for the most part except that the camera is always swinging around to and fro for no reason and some of the bosses life bars are waaaaay too long. So are the levels, damn! This game aims at people who don't own a Wii, so it is no surprise that it isn't a best-seller.

North and South
Nintendo Entertainment System

In the real game, a lazy Mexican is sleeping in the left
corner, but this picture I found on the web curiously
has him edited out and only the Pueblo hut remains.
I am not making this up!

This is like a weird-ass strategy game with some really crappy platforming thrown in occasionally. The goal of the game seems to be to call railroad trains which pay you for no reason. You then buy slaves errr I mean troops to fight for your cause. The North always wins because that's how it happened in history. Occasionally there is a screen with tiny Atari 2600-esque graphics that is supposed to be a battlefield and you run over their men with your horses. That's how the war was won. That's what they taught in History classes around the world. Quite a weird game that I had never heard of. But then again it was made by Infrogrames, a company whose mission statement prohibits them from making bad games. It's all about the mission statement!

Alien Soldier
Sega Genesis

As always, the "US" version has the best box art!

This game never came to the US and it is a real shame, but you can get it on Wii's Virtual Console. It seems really tough at first even on "SUPEREASY" difficulty. But once you get the hang of the Zero Teleportation move (re: dash) then it becomes no harder than any other normal game of the time and quite fun. It's essentially a boss-fest with lots of graphical tricks. Made by Treasure who previously had given us the luscious Gunstar Heroes and Dynamite Headdy, this continues with their intense action platforming style of games. "Now is the time to the 68000 heart on fire" says the title screen verbatim. I am glad I picked this one up.

Galactic Attack
Sega Saturn

If they're not from Earth, they deserve to die.

Released in the Saturn's first year or so, little did I know even after I had played the game a couple of times that this would be one of the better games available for the system, especially in the USA. Also known as Layer Section, this game is quite a fun vertical shooter that does just about everything you could ask for from the genre. What's more is that you can play it in Arcade/Sideways/TATE mode. This allows you to tilt your TV on its side for "the arcade experience" or play it as a weird horizontal shooter. "So what?" you may ask, "Lots of shooters for many different systems have this mode!" That is true. But this game's graphics improve noticeably when played in this mode. Not only is there more detail due to being full screen, but there are extra layers of scrolling and other effects that do not exist in the scaled-down vertical mode the game defaults to as well. This game is much better than Layer Section 2 aka Raystorm. I just never found polygon graphics in shooting games very appealing for some reason (some exceptions do apply).

Ghostbusters
Playstation 3

This game could use more actual ghost-busting.

I downloaded the demo for this game a few days ago and I am not very impressed. The game tries to be much too complex. The first thing the game has you do is walk around with a PKE meter. B-O-R-I-N-G!!!! What is this, a Ghostbusters simulation or a fuckin' game? I don't need to do everything a real Ghostbuster would do. I just wanna run around bustin' ghosts! But every single button on the controller is assigned a different, strange function and that needlessly complicates everything. Anyway, I used my PKE meter to wander around and finally came across a spot where a ghost was. It burst out and ran away. Now I must use my PKE meter again to find it which is about as much fun counting individual granules of sand on the world's biggest beach. Fuck this. DELETE! The Genesis version remains the best and ONLY good Ghostbusters game.

Out Run Online Arcade
Xbox 360

Limited, but still worth it. Don't expect a simulation!

This game is available in the Xbox Live Arcade section for download. It is a very stripped down version of Out Run Coast 2 Coast which existed on the PS2 and OG Xbox (OG stands for Original Gangsta because the Xbox was just that... gangsta. And gangs are super way cool and full of fantastic individuals who are trying their best to be all they can be, succeed in life and contribute to the world in a positive way). Anyway, the game only has a few different modes and the sound quality is very poor. The graphics haven't really been upgraded much if at all from the OG Xbox versions. But the game is still great fun and recommended if you don't have it on the PS2 and/or OG Xbox. Keep in mind that you only get 15 different stages instead of the 30 different ones in Coast 2 Coast. Gimpy, but cool. I expected more and got less, but only because I was used to the console versions.

Rambo III
Sega Master System

The game is better than the movie!
But that's not saying much, really.

Rambo III was the worst of all the Rambo movies and his game isn't too hot, either. Actually it isn't too bad until you reach the last stage. Mainly it is an Operation Wolf rip off which actually has music. It requires the sexy Sega Light Phaser to play (no crosshair option provided, as was the case with gun games back then). The game is pretty fun with nice graphics and sound. Digitized shots of Stallone himself between stages shows off how mega powerful the SMS was. At the time it was soooo awesome to see graphics like that. Anyway, you get up to the last stage which seems to put you on a jeep or something in a first person perspective. You are driving forward (or maybe backwards?) and shooting Russian helicopters. Each chopper takes multiple hits to bring down with your Sega Light Phaser (Rambo's weapon of choice). And there are a ton of choppers on the screen at once! Even with rapid fire turned on, I could not bring down the choppers fast enough to survive getting hit by all of the rest of them. I am confident that no ending was programmed in to the game because it is impossible to get to!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:37 AM   #1532
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
A sound test would be very welcome in this game, but games these days hate doing that and would rather sell you a separate soundtrack... like it would ever come to the US anyway.
You can unlock the music in this game by completing each individual character in that challenge mode or whatever it's called. Also, they say you can fight Donkey Kong as a hidden opponent.

Galactic Attack FTW!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #1533
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
I just had to try out this game because of the much-heralded Motion-Plus™ technology which brings 100% precision and reduces lag (the onscreen character moves before YOU move, that's how much lag it gets rid of). To be honest, I didn't notice any difference or improvements between this and other, similar games on the Wii.
Are you being honest or trying to be critical?

I heard the frizbee mode was the best part of the game. Despite your weight problems of not actually holding a frisbee, could you at least see a difference in how it moved/reacted? I ask because I'm tired of having to baby or "take it easy" with motion controls and wonder if M+ remedys that. I want to be able to hold my frisbee out, shake it like a wild madman, and have the game accuratley track every second of my spazfest without having it lose calibration or whatever.

But hey, at least it has to be better than Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz Disc Golf.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #1534
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yes, like I said I didn't really notice much of a difference in response but also that I didn't try it with and without back to back so that can't be seen as a true judgment of Motion Plus abilities.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:45 PM   #1535
Paper exe
Pwnd

Hey Joe, since you only buy and play old games I need to ask you. What do you think of those doezn of shooters in the 32era? Dezaemon Plus, Strikers 1945, RayStorm, Meta-Ph-List: Gamma X 2097, and Harmful park to name a few.

Last edited by Paper exe; 07-23-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #1536
Joe Redifer
Olé!

A lot of the ones you mention I haven't even heard of. Raystorm is pretty good and is worth picking up for the Playstation, but Galactic Attack is definitely more enjoyable. It is only on the Saturn, I think. I will review more 32-bit era shooters real soon!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #1537
Yoshi Girl
(mandy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
I heard the frizbee mode was the best part of the game.
On a semi-related, but it's a different game note... The Dog Frisbee mode on Wii Sports Resort is by far the best one. Although, archery and the flight games are fun too.
XBL: Mandiford (send me a message so I know who you are)
Yoshi Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 PM   #1538
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

I came looking for a Shining Force (Sega CD) review and there was none to be found.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 PM   #1539
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Blame fellow forum member Vic Viper. He is the reason I have yet to finish that game. It is all his fault, just like everything usually is.

But the game is good. It doesn't have the town and walking scenes like the cartridge versions, only battles and rest scenes (where you buy, save, etc) are included. CD games just weren't big enough to include the towns as well.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:09 PM   #1540
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

I'm savoring playing that game....I've been savoring it for about a year now. Aren't you savoring it to Joe? I mean you aren't pushing me to hard to finish it.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #1541
Reko8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Blame fellow forum member Vic Viper. He is the reason I have yet to finish that game. It is all his fault, just like everything usually is.

But the game is good. It doesn't have the town and walking scenes like the cartridge versions, only battles and rest scenes (where you buy, save, etc) are included. CD games just weren't big enough to include the towns as well.
Wow that's weird that I remember that. I remember loving the Genesis Shining Force games and doing all the town hopping etc. Then I rented the Sega CD version and was just pooped into a battle scene. I thought that was stupid. I had no idea who anyone was.
Reko8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:34 PM   #1542
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Here are some more random Quick Takes™ provided for your enjoyment. I hope they help make your day an outstanding one and improve the overall quality of your life.

Scibblenauts
Nintendo DS

Figure out creative ways to use random objects you type!

Scribblenauts is a game where you can write or type any physical object you can think of (more or less) as long as it is not a branded item (like PSP) and not a proper name (like Coke®). You also can't type things like "dildo" and whatnot. Believe me, I tried. Anyway, the goal of the game is to get a star. You use various objects to get the star. If the star is in a tree, you can type "football" and trow it at the star, knock it down and get the star to win the level. Or type "ladder" and climb your ass up and get it. Or chainsaw the tree down. It's up to you. Be careful what you type, though. On one of the first levels you are required to give several people standing in the scene items that they would use with their hands. The people are a policeman, a fireman, a chef and someone else I can't remember. I gave the chef a frying pan and typed "gun" to give to the policeman, but I guess I didn't do it right and I accidentally shot and killed 2 of the people with one bullet. I was forced to try again. The game is actually quite difficult and not as enjoyable as you might think. It is OK, but gets boring fairly fast. There are "puzzle" modes and "action" modes. The action mode just requires you to get the star. The puzzle mode requires you to find it and figure things out, etc. The puzzle mode is MUCH easier to me. I do not recommend this game to those who are prone to writer's block.

Muramasa - The Demon Blade
Nintendo Wii

Hand-drawn artwork FTW (that means "for the win", not "fuck the world", by the way). Pick this one up!

This game probably has some of the best graphics for this generation, bar none. Yes, I think it looks better than Halo 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Gears of War et al. Way better, in fact. Yup, this game is 2D through and through, but those luscious graphics are real paintings… layers and layers of them. They are only hindered by their repetition. The gameplay seems like it was made by Atlus (Odin Sphere, Princess Crown) because of the fact that it has an extensive inventory system that is a bit too convoluted for my taste (there has to be about 3,000 different swords) and also the fact that you cook and the game gives a lot of attention to the presentation of eating food. Also, the screens are extremely short before it goes into the next one, just like Odin Sphere. Don't expect long levels like games from the 16-bit era, you won't find that in 2D these days. Maybe current generation hardware can't handle much more than short screens of 2D? Still, the game is very fun and allows you to use the Gamecube controller (highly recommended). Unfortunately you must press UP to jump even though the B button is completely used in the game. The B could be used for attack and the A for jump. But what the hell do I know about 2D game design?

The game lets you play as a chick or some dude. I have only played as the chick and I haven't even completed her quest yet, but I have gotten fairly far. It can be a touch repetitive since you just wander around and get attacked with random battles, but never to the point of becoming disinterested in progressing further. The story is completely nonsensical Japanese gibberish. I pay it no mind and hammer through the text scenes as fast as I can. They matter not to the gameplay. The music is very fitting, though I doubt I would buy a copy of the soundtrack. Overall a great game that is wasted on the Wii. It should really be on the PS3 or even the Xbox 360 in high definition.

Cotton 2
Sega Saturn

[youtubehq]Tk6dUyLfpuc[/youtubehq]
A few short clips from Cotton 2, recorded by me from real hardware.

Cotton 2 is available only in Japan for the Sega Saturn game system, which everyone loves (or at least they should). Cotton 2 is a cute-em-up, or a shooter that is cute. And by "shooter" I do not mean a military or space marine-based first person frag-fest where you capture a flag. This game can make use of the 1MB RAM cartridge available for the Japanese Saturn, but it can also be played without it. I honestly cannot tell the difference with and without, so can someone please enlighten me what those differences might be? Suffice it to say, the game is only a touch above average. It is very easy and fairly fun, but once you've beaten it, you really have no desire to play it gain, just like most games these days. The graphics are really cool featuring a lot of scaling and rotation, and the music is OK, not as good as Panorama Cotton on the Genesis/Mega Drive. Not sure if this one is rare or not, but I am guessing not.

Valkyria Chronicles
Playstation 3

This guy sure seems very familiar to me. Could he be from…? Nah. Can't be. This game takes place on the ground.

I like good strategy games like Shining Force, etc. I was excited when I downloaded the demo for Valkyria Chronicles. The graphics were great, but I just didn't want to spend the time learning all of the commands and the like just for a short demo. I didn't pay attention to the game for many months until I bought it on the cheap. I think the tutorial spans the ENTIRE game because I have gotten pretty far and the game still pops up with information about certain commands, strategies or whatnot before most battles or even individual turns, even though I have been using them in the past. Regardless, I really like the game. The story is fairly run-of-the-mill, but good enough to keep you interested. The characters are great. I like both the "action" and the strategy. The way this game was designed was brilliant, though far from realistic. Think of it as a chess game of sorts. However sometimes I think it might be too deep in regards to its attention to detail. The graphics are fantastic for the most part with the exception of some the flickery shadows that plague this generation of gaming. The music is just "there". There isn't anything more to say about the music, it is very generic. Be sure to switch the voices to Japanese when you first get the chance as the English voices sound like a Saturday morning cartoon. Just awful. The Japanese voices sound like a typical anime, but you can't understand it so you can't determine how bad the acting truly is.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
Playstation 3

I can't believe I actually like a Ninja Gaiden game. And a current one, at that!

Wow. I never thought that I would like the demo this much! Granted, I am not blown away or anything, but I am definitely pleasantly surprised. For one, it is easier than the original Ninja Gaiden on the Xbox and I appreciate that. Harder difficulty levels exist for those who want more of a challenge or who think that somehow their masculinity reflects through the level of difficulty that they play. After you beat the demo with Ryo, you get to play as Ayane. I must say that playing as her is MUCH more fun than playing as Ryu. I couldn't get the boob jiggle feature to work, though. Ryu is you average videogame hero. He is a ninja with lots of bling. Boring bling. When you play as him, he blends in with all of the other enemies so that it is hard to make out which one you are playing. With Ayane, you always stand out. Ayane is also much more fun to control as she is quicker and much more responsive. I might consider buying this if Ayane is playable from the very beginning. The camera is still god-awful and brings the entire game down quite a few notches, unfortunately.

The graphics are decent, though not tremendously impressive. The boss I saw looked pretty good. Overall this game is not as impressive graphically today as the original was on the Xbox when it first came out. I noticed quite a bit of screen tearing during the camera pans and such. The sound is average and so is the music. Nothing really worth listening to here, as is the case with most games these days. Just throw in random theme music, score it like it was a movie, etc. Yawn.

I really like this game, but I doubt I'd complete it. I don't think that I will buy it new for $60. But if Ayane is playable from the very beginning or easily unlocked and the price is good, I'll definitely pick it up. I highly recommend the demo!

Hyper Duel
Sega Saturn

[youtubehq]wlua9MBoBh0[/youtubehq]
A few short clips from Hyper Duel, recorded by me from real hardware.

Hyper Duel is another Japan-only horizontal shooter based on a Japan-only arcade game. It is ridiculously rare and expensive. This game is by TechnoSoft, makers of the Thunder Force series (and Herzog Zwei). Unfortunately this game does not come close to living up to TechnoSoft's usual quality, but it isn't horrible. It's just rather bland. What is nice is that the arcade mode is included as well as a Saturn mode which is a slightly gussied-up version of the same game with a few new things to look at and listen to. That gives you good reason to play through the full game at least twice. The graphics are alright and the music is a touch above average. I don't know why it and Blast Wind command such a high price… maybe they only printed 100 copies? I'll never know.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #1543
Seraph
>:3

I’m surprised Scribblenauts gets boring, I would think I could play that game forever simply thinking of new things to spawn.

Muramasa does indeed look awesome. All 2D games should have that level of animation. Did you ever check out WarioLand Shake It? Not nearly at Muramasa’s level, but I thought the 2D animation was great in that too.

Cotton 2 is one of those games I really wish would get ported to the current generation. Retail disc, Digital, dosen’t matter I just want to play it. I loved playing the original SNES cotton on emulators in 8th grade Webpage design class.

Valkyria Chronicles is one of the first PS3 games I want to play (birthday tommorow!!!). I have grown to like the types of voices found in Saturday-morning anime dubs.

Ninja Gaiden is a series I’ve largely ignored until now but I will check the demo out to see if it would be something I’m interested in. After hearing about the first games difficulty I lost interest. I wouldn’t want to buy and have another FZeroGX experience.

HyperDuel looks rather dull. Nothing really flashy or interesting is happening and thus dosen’t deem it worth my time to more worthy shooters.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 AM   #1544
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Ninja Gaiden was far more infuriating than F-Zero GX. At least with F-Zero, it had fantastic music. Not so with Ninja Gaiden. I saw NGS2 at the store today and almost thought about buying it. I liked it that much, but I'll wait for a lower price. I almost thought about buying Mirror's Edge for $19 brand new as well, but since I couldn't even complete what the tutorial required of me, it was best that I stayed away. Not worth 20 bucks.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #1545
Vegetto
Alive

I think I'll play the non baby version of ninja gaiden 2 on hardest difficulty again to prove to myself how much of a man I really am.

anyway I'm waiting for my bro to finish muramasa, but the sword breaking thing looks realllly annoying
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote