The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-20-2008, 11:29 PM   #106
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Game looks fun. I would probably pick it up later when it's in the bargain bin though.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #107
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Savior View Post
You liked ALL the bosses in RE:UC? The one tyrant you fight in the tunnel (the all white tyrant. It might have been a Wesker mission...) was so cheap it made me wanna throw the game in the trash bin. The last boss was also very very.....stupid. I liked most of the bosses myself, but the ones that suck, really suck...
No I didnt like every single one of them. Nemesis pissed me off to no end. Like I said in my review, this game is REALLY hard. There were spots where I wanted to throw my controller across the room and I'd scream "COME ON THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE EASY MODE". The very last boss with Wesker was like that for me as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
And arcade light gun games are not exactly like the Wii. As you can tell by your own pic, there are sensors all around the entire screen. The Wii just has a little podunk bar laying there. Even if you built your own IR emitters all around the TV, it would confuse the Wii and the WiiMote since they are not designed for that. Only projection/big screen arcade games even work like this (they have to). Older light gun arcade games that used CRTs worked differently.
Have you tried Ghost Squad on Wii? Sega included a Screen Calibration tool that works like magic. It gives 1 to 1 pointing well enough to where I can play through the whole game without the crosshair.

The difference between that calibration and an arcade machine is that becuase Wii only has the two IR points it can lose its calibration if the Wii Remote completley loses sight of it. In the arcades, because you have so many IR points the guns instantly know where they are relative to the screen no matter what you do.

I used to hate the way old light gun shooters worked for home consoles. Blinding Strobe lights ahoy!
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:51 PM   #108
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The Superscope 6 (SNES) and the Menacer (Genesis) didn't flash a white frame. But anyway I'd rather have the white flash than crap hanging all over my TV (Time Crisis 4). Just plug in the gun & the game and you're ready! No nonsense setups to worry about.

Quote:
Have you tried Ghost Squad on Wii? Sega included a Screen Calibration tool that works like magic. It gives 1 to 1 pointing well enough to where I can play through the whole game without the crosshair.
Leave it to Sega. But what if you moved from where you calibrated it... like to a different seat in the same room or passed it over to your friend so he could try, but he doesn't want to sit in your lap? You'd have to recalibrate.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #109
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

The white flashes kept me from enjoying most console lightgun games... Even Time Crisis 2 had 'em, right? And that game connects to your A/V output so it really shouldn't.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #110
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It only connected with the AV out so it could stay in sync with the game. That way it knew precisely when the white flash was beginning to be drawn, etc. It made the Guncon slightly more accurate. It still needed a white flash so it could see where it was pointed. So they made hooking the thing up an annoyance for an ever-so-slight improvement in accuracy.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #111
Nindalf

seraph is a mod wut
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #112
Joe Redifer
Olé!

...of this particular section. Though if we ever needed another for the site, he'd be high on the list.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #113
Nindalf

so he can't ban people? answer briefly, y/n
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:44 PM   #114
Joe Redifer
Olé!

/n
Old 01-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #115
Seraph

Nintendo Wii
1-4 Players
Developer - Sora
Publisher - Nintendo

Warning, this is a big game with a lot of content to cover, so this review is going to be larger than normal.

My Bias
-Super Smash Bros (the original for N64) is one of my favorite games of all time
-I was MEGA hyped for this game
-The hardcore Smash community pisses me off*
*To elaborate, like with most fighting games, the “competitive community” for this series is full of egotistical and arrogant players who talk down to people who aren’t into the game as much as they are. As a result every time I think about this game I am reminded of this community and it puts me in a negative mood. I will try my best not to let this affect my review.
-I’m Nintendo’s whore

My Completion
Subspace Emissary beaten on Normal difficulty. Around 100 hours put into multiplayer. All characters/stages unlocked.

Note: in case it’s not obvious I will be abbreviating throughout this review. The original Smash Bros will be referred to as Smash64, Smash Bros Melee will be just Melee, and this game is Brawl.

Story
Brawl is a party fighting game, so naturally it doesn’t have much of a storyline.

The Adventure mode from Melee is back but now a fully fleshed out single player campaign called Subspace Emissary. Between every level is a FVM cut scene which helps push the story along. These cut scenes by themselves are entertaining and exciting, with some very cool moments. There is no voice acting throughout the entire thing which is both good and bad in my opinion. I think it’s a good thing because Nintendo’s characters have never had voices and hearing Link having a conversation with Olimar would destroy their characters. However it’s bad as well because it means the entire story is told through choreography and it doesn’t always get the point across.

The story as a whole was really weak. Even after beating the whole thing I really couldn’t tell you what it was about outside of “evil guy wants to blow up world lets stop him”. All the evil villain characters (Bowser, Wario, ect.) have these weird arrow guns that turn the other characters into statues but I never figured out what that was all about. There is never an explanation as to why all these Nintendo characters are somehow in the same world. By the time I got to the end boss, I had no idea who it even was or what it was trying to accomplish. I felt no motivation other than “See those guys? Go kill them they are in your way”.

Subspace Emissary is just one of the many aspects in this game where I’m left with the feeling of missed potential. Given the extensive worlds of the Nintendo franchises represented here, why am I running through a generic forest stage beating up on generic evil enemies? Wouldn’t it be much cooler to run through say Hyrule beating up on Moblins, or Emerald Hill beating up on Eggman’s robots? I am not a fan of knocking a game for what it doesn’t have, but I can’t help but feel Nintendo missed a great opportunity here. Even I could come up with a better and more entertaining story than what’s offered here. In addition, and this is party my fault, but what makes this story an even bigger disappointment is I read online that it was co-written by the writer for Final Fantasy 7 so I my expectations were high.

Obviously this was more exciting than battling Metroids in Pallet Town

This games big appeal is the level of fan service included in it. Almost every single major Nintendo franchise is represented here, pulling characters from the most obscure games they have ever developed. Some of the characters feel like Nintendo is scraping the bottom of the pan for new additions (Pit, R.O.B.) so I’m not sure what they will do for the next Smash Bros game. One of the coolest parts of Brawl is that now Snake from Metal Gear Solid and Sonic The Hedgehog are playable characters.

However despite being one of the biggest Nintendo fans around, I feel lukewarm to the fan service. I think the reasoning behind this is because the characters in Brawl no longer feel like characters from their respective games. The focus of this game feels like it’s about the “Smash Bros” theme and not on the characters themselves. Given how big a fan I am, I should be pumped to see Mario vs Sonic vs Snake vs Olimar, but the feeling just isn’t there.

Overall I can’t say I like the direction this games theme has gone. I enjoyed Smash64 a lot because the theme was simply a kid’s hand playing with his Nintendo toys. Now everything takes itself way to seriously. Everyone’s angry, everything’s epic, everything’s drenched in choir music. I liked Mario when he was the happy go lucky plump fellow he has always been, full of lighthearted fun. Not the new constantly angry look he has on his face, striking weird unnatural kung fu poses and shooting huge DBZ fireballs.

Graphics
Supports 16:9 Widescreen and Progressive Scan

Brawl’s visuals are very nice. The character models, the environments and just about everything else has been improved over Melee. There is a lot of detail on each of the characters. The overall design abandons the cartoony look for a more gritty one. Mario actually has stitches on his denim overalls, Links model was pulled straight out of Twilight Princess. The game has an overall more realistic theme.

Much sexi... prettier character models

The menu system is also a big improvement over the previous two games. Instead of having a “dark hardcore” theme, they have a bright and clean look to them which is great.

This game follows in Melee’s footsteps when it comes to flashy explosions and effects. I personally did not like this change in Melee and it’s even worse in Brawl. To me it just makes things way to hard to follow, especially in 4 player battles. The combination of the flashy effects, busy backgrounds and zoomed out camera angle make heated games very confusing. There have been times when playing that I literally couldn’t tell what was going on.

I have noticed that when this game is running on a Wii hooked up through component cables, the jaggy edges of everything looks bad. Because this game zooms so far out on such complex character models, details like faces turn out a mess.

Music
First of all Brawl is made up of nothing but remixes of various Nintendo games. This automatically loses points with me because I find new fresh music much more exciting than remixes. But with that out of the way, there are some really good remixes in this game.

The Kirby tracks jump out at me as being the best, and there is a great selection here like Butter Bridge from Kirby’s Adventure to even Marx Theme from Kirby Super Star. I also found the Animal Crossing song to be great, capturing the feel of that series perfectly. I stated before that I was lukewarm to the fan service in this game, but a lot of the songs tug at my hearts nostalgia strings. If Nintendo released an official OST for this game I would buy it. There are that many good songs.

They even have the Luigi's Mansion theme in here. Awesome!

For every good music choice made in this game there is a bad one. A good portion of the songs are not remixed at all. So when you see fans boast about 300 SONGS, it’s really about half new remixes and half lazy ports. Not only that but they chose some of the dumbest songs to port over, for example the rich-aristocrat sounding organ song from Fire Emblem: PoR. When Sonic was announced as a playable character my mind raced over all the potentially awesome songs that could make the cut. But Sonic’s music ended up being the biggest musical disappointment of the game. They only re-arranged one of his songs, and for the rest picked some pretty crappy sounding tracks (Scrap Brain Zone, Right There Right On). At least we got Super Sonic Racing .

Because I was hyped for this game the music selection comes off to me as disappointing. The very first info we received from the games official pre-release blog was the list of arrangers hired for this game. Literally every big name composer in the game industry was arranging music for Brawl and my anticipation was high. But for the amount of arrangers and talent behind this soundtrack, I come off with that missed potential feeling again.

The main theme is a step backwards from Melee’s theme. The minute I unlocked alternate menu screen music, I switched the game back to use the Melee theme. This is another aspect that leaves me more disappointed knowing the talent behind it. It was written by Nobuo Uematsu, the guy who writes the brilliant music in the Final Fantasy games. I suppose I expected something amazing, instead it doesn’t even top Melees.

A cool feature of this game is that you can choose the appearance rate of different songs for each stage. So for example because on the Sonic stage I would rather listen to Emerald Hill than Green Hill, I can completely turn GH off and put the chances of EH to play at maximum. I wish it let you attach any song to any stage though. What ends up happening is some really good songs are locked to the crummiest not-fun stages in the game. I love the Earthbound remixes in this game, but everyone hates the Earthbound stage so I never get to hear them.

There is a ton of music in this game and I still don’t have all of it. That’s partly because the way of getting new songs really sucks. They randomly appear on stages and then instantly start to disappear. Too many times have I watched a CD drop on a hill and then go rolling off screen before I can get to it. Luckily there is a way to cheat and get them all.

Gameplay

Controls
Brawl does something I think every single videogame should do: You can re-button map the controller to be how you want it which I love. Too often games are released with a less-than-optimal button configuration crippling them. Brawl’s controller customization isn’t 100% perfect, as you can’t assign EVERY action to ANY button, but its pretty close and a welcomed feature.

If you’re worried that you need to own a GC controller in order to “properly” play this game then don’t be. I personally use the Wii Remote + Nunchuk control setup and it works great. After a little button remapping I can do exactly what I want to in the game, and am never frustrated by the controls. I will say that if you are used to playing Smash Bros with the traditional control scheme then switching to the Wii Remote takes a while to get used to.

There is one little thing irks me about the controls though. This is a Wii game and yet there isn’t even IR control for the menus. This gives me the feeling this was developed as a Gamecube game first, with Wii as an afterthought.
Character Selection
The character selection is pretty robust. They added a lot of new characters in this installment with a bunch of unique play styles. There are 35 characters all together and some of the characters can transform into new characters with completely different move sets. So needless to say there is a lot to choose from to find a character you like. Characters have also been rebalanced to be a little more fair. Speedy characters like Fox were favored heavily in Melee, but now heavy characters like Bowser stand a chance.

Just about every Nintendo character ever
Of those 35, 6 of them are clones (Luigi, Lucas, Falco, Wolf, Gannondorf and Toon Link). It’s understandable why they do this, as it’s a cheap way to fill out the character roster, but it’s disappointing to play as say Gannondorf and see him perform copycat moves of Captain Falcon instead of trademark moves from his own series.

I find it really disappointing that most of the old characters from the previous games have been hardly changed. No, I’m not talking about the petty differences that hardcore fans make a big deal out of like “omg his attack is 1/38th of a second slower”. I’m talking about big main changes to the characters. If you pick a character that was previously in Melee like Peach or Luigi, their move set is exactly the same. Since Melee’s release, Peach has even had her own game filled with tons of new moves, yet NONE of them show up in Brawl and instead we are handed the same old uninspired ButtSlam and ThrowOutToad moves. The same applies to many characters.
Technical Complaints
I have a few technical complaints with this game. First off, Brawls loading times are horrible. It seems that almost everything this game needs to do requires a loading screen. Even starting it up takes forever, which at least for me ruins the pick-up-and-play nature of a fighting game. Furthermore this game makes my Wii sound like a lawnmower. The amount of intense reading done from the disk makes me scared that my Wii is going to break. The save file for this game takes up 128 blocks of memory. If space wasn’t an issue then I wouldn’t care, but on Wii space is a VERY big issue. Why does this game need to take up so much space? I can’t fathom this because it’s a party fighting game with minimal save data. Why does a game like Zelda Twilight Princess (a RPG with tons of save data) take up 1 block and Brawl takes up 128 times that???
One of the awesome parts about this game is the addition of Smash Balls. Smash Balls are items that will randomly appear on the stage and lets the user perform a devastating super move. Since these moves are so powerful and in many cases guaranteed kills, everybody fights over them. Getting a Smash Ball isn’t just a matter of picking it up because the only way to use them is to break it open by constantly beating on it. It’s programmed to stay away from characters too, so when one appears the entire focus of the battle shifts to everybody franticly chasing after it. In my opinion this is the best addition Brawl brings to the series, it adds a whole new level of excitement to matches.

Rape in progress

For some unknown reason they decided to randomly make characters trip during a match. It really does happen at random and gets very frustrating when you’re trying to set up a combo or trying to counter a move. For example one time I was playing and my opponent got the Hammer item (which will instantly kill you if you get touched). I tried to run away to avoid it but my character instantly tripped and I was KOed. It makes it hard to have a competitive sense when playing this game.

Like the previous two games, multiplayer matches have two rule sets in order to win, Time and Stock. Stock I find is best for 1 vs 1 matches because otherwise damaged players can “cheat” by killing themselves which robs the opponent of their point. However Stock isn’t very much fun with 3-4 players because if you die early you are left to just sit and watch everyone else fight. The solution to that is to put the game on Time matches, which declares a winner based on score. This worked for Smash64 and Melee, but they screwed up how points are determined in Brawl. The counter from when you last got hit and when you die takes way to long to time out, resulting in people getting points for deaths they had nothing to do with. Too many times have I accidentally killed myself and watched as one of my opponents got the credit for it.

Subspace Emissary
The new Subspace Emissary mode replaces the old Adventure mode from Melee. What they have tried to do is flesh that going-through-stage experience into a full single player campaign. Because it’s closely tied to a storyline this time around, you cannot pick what character you want to be. Before every stage you are forced to choose between a small handful of characters. I didn’t like this at all because more than half of the game was spent playing as characters I find boring and/or painful. It would be more enjoyable if the stages you had to do were based around those characters and their abilities, creating instances in which only that character could get through (for example have a switch that only Pikachu’s lighting could climb the wall and hit).

I could never tell where I was supposed to go on this confusing map
You can also attach the stickers you find throughout the game to characters in this mode, which allows you to boost their abilities. But once you use a sticker its gone forever, and given the way you find stickers in this game who knows when you will be able to get it again. Some of those puppies are rare. Because of this I never wanted to use them and so I ignored this aspect. This mode takes FOREVER to complete, especially the last stage. After beating it I have no desire to ever go back and replay it, whereas I have replayed Melee’s Adventure mode more times that I can count.
Every Smash Bros game has had neat mini-games where you complete different objectives under a time limit. Brawl is no different in this regard but a lot of the original modes are missing. What happened to “Race to the Finish” and “Board the platforms”? The “Break the Targets” mode isn’t nearly as cool as the previous two games. Instead of having custom stages for each character, designed around their unique talents, there are only 5 generic stages. It’s a shame because I really got into these modes. The sandbag mode returns and is much more improved over Melee’s, now even allowing 2 player.

The amount of unlockable extras in this game in a Nintendo fans dream. The trophies are back and there are more of them than ever before. I really enjoyed this part of the game not because I’m a Nintendo fan, as that had little to do with it, but because I think its interesting to look at all the different iconic symbols of Nintendo’s history and read the descriptions of each one. You can even place these trophies around in a virtual diorama and take screenshots. My only complaint about the trophies is the new way of unlocking them. The Coin Launcher game (shooting for trophies space invaders style) isn’t all that fun and takes WAY too long for trophies to show up. I have about 20 Mario and Pokemon trophies but only 2 Sonic and 1 MGS trophy . In addition to trophies, they have also added stickers which are different pieces of game art that differ in size. It’s kind of neat to look at it all, and some REALLY obscure stuff shows up that I didn’t even know Nintendo had the rights to.

I always knew old Nook was after my Assets

Online Brawl is a complete mess. If you try to play with random players it takes forever to find anyone. I’ve searched for opponents for over a half hour before without any results.

With friends things work a bit better. The online structure reflects Nintendo’s more recent games, where you can actually see if your friend is online instead of both randomly searching for each other. Logging into the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection service is horrible. Sometimes I am able to connect within seconds, other times it takes 5 minutes, and sometimes it takes so long to connect that the game times out and gives me an error. The connection doesn’t hold up very well when connected either. I get randomly disconnected about once every online session I try to have. When this happens it creates even more problems like my friends not being able to see me online.

I can deal with a little lag in my games, as long as things are somewhat playable I’m happy. But sometimes Brawl has terrible latency (the time between user input and the games response). It makes playing online so frustrating because it makes split second reactions or combos impossible. Gamers will give you all sorts of theories as to why the online doesn’t work well, but it just boils down to Nintendo screwed up. Jump Ultimate Stars, a game on the Nintendo DS, is the exact same party/fighting game Brawl is, and that works flawlessly online proving to me it can be done.

This is especially disappointing for me because I purchased this multiplayer game with the intention of playing online. Because the Online is such a frustration to use I find myself not bothering with it and therefore not bothering with this game.

UPDATE: As of January 2009 the lag has gotten considerably better. It's still there, but the game is now a lot more playable.

Let this frozen screenshot serve as a Real-Time example of how smooth Online mode works sometimes.

Being mainly a multiplayer game it’s annoying that you have to unlock characters. It’s a fighting game and everyone wants to pick their favorite, but unless you play through the single player for hours, or play multiplayer for literally hundreds of matches, then many favorite characters are unavailable. Even highly desirable characters like Snake and Sonic who are on the back of the box must be unlocked. Its just bad design, especially since Brawl doesn’t allow you to transfer your gave saves. What this means is if you take your game over to your friend’s house for a party, you must sit for hours and re-unlock all characters on their Wii. Really stupid design choice for a party fighter.

As a whole this game feels like a Melee 1.5. It’s running on the same game engine, the graphics and game mechanics barley updated, and as mentioned before they didn’t change the characters much. Brawl feels more like an expansion pack to Melee rather than a new game, a Street Fighter 2 to Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I think part of the reason they didn’t change much was to please Melee fans. Fans cried enough about the little changes they did make with “They Ruined My Character/Stage/Combo”, so imagine this games fan reception if they had changed anything substantial. I know the saying “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, but if I wanted to play Melee then I would.

Lasting Appeal
From a single player perspective, around 20 hours to do everything. Subspace Emissary can be beaten within a few hours and isn’t worth going back to. The computer AI isn’t all that smart so once you have learned their stupid quirks they are easily beaten. Still, it lasts a LOT longer than your average fighting game. All the unlockable content helps prolong the games life if you’re really into that kind of stuff.

Brawl is mainly a multiplayer game though, and in that regard it has about as much replayability as you can get from a game. This is party due to the very nature of a multiplayer game. But it’s also because Brawl has some of the deepest, always changing mechanics around. I’ve sunk over 100 hours in it with friends and it hasn’t gotten remotely stale. This is one of the few games I will still be playing years from now.

Final Thoughts
I was probably over hyped. Because of the Dojo blog updates and multiple interviews I can’t help but think what could have been. The entire game has a feeling of missed potential. You will notice my review is chock full of complaints, However despite all that this is a fantastic game which is a blast to play with friends.

I don’t really need to recommend this game to anybody, because it’s the type of game that’s so hardcore you should have an idea of whether you want it or not. If your curious about the Smash Bros series and have never tried it, Brawl is the best place to start.

Gameplay Video
Sorry for the heavy Interlacing (horizontal lines on movement). As soon as I figure out how to fix it I will
Normal Match - Start
Subspace Emissary - 2:22
Trophies - 3:55
Online Match - 4:50

Last edited by Seraph; 08-21-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #116
Seraph

Nintendo Wii
1-16 Players
Developer - Intelligent Systems
Publisher - Nintendo

My Bias
-Was really curious in the series

My Completion
-All Scenarios beaten

Story
There really isn’t a story to this game, or at least not a serious one. Wario is one day sitting on his couch about to eat and some little aliens steal his food. They run away and Wario gives chase. The chase continues into the alien’s temple where Wario finds the “Form Baton”, a rock that looks an awful lot like a Wii Remote. He then forgets about the food and walks off with the Form Baton.

That’s only Wario’s messed up story. The rest and majority of the game is then spent completing various side stories for each WarioWare character. At the very end, you finally go back to Wario and see conclusion to his story. I feel bad for him because he is forced to give the Form Baton back, but the aliens certainly don’t give his food back. What jerks!

Most of the character stories are pretty humorous. I didn’t laugh out loud or anything, but some of them put a smile on my face. Being my first WarioWare game I am new to all these established characters and was actually really surprised how good they all are.

Graphics
Supports Progressive Scan

The visuals for this game are all done in hi-res vector art which looks really good. The art is all drawn really well and it’s nice to see a game in this generation use simple art/sprites to do its storytelling. It uses the lazy animation technique found in games like Odin Sphere and Paper Mario where there really isn’t any drawn animation, characters just rotate sprites at their joints. You can watch my video below to better explain what I mean. The art style is cartoony with a touch of anime style. I have to mention that the way this game draws kittens is one of the most adorable things ever.

Great looking cartoon style

During the Micro-games the visuals vary. I really love the unique styles they picked for the micro-games. Sometimes it’s drawn in crayon, sometimes it’s some nice rendered 3D, and sometimes it’s some crude photograph cutouts. You never know what to expect and it really complements this games wacky/random style. The graphics never struck me as “bad” and if they did look crappy on screen it was intentional.

It's supposed to look sloppy like this..... I think

Music
The music of WW:SM is made up mostly of short loops. I’m talking 5-6 second sound loops that are played over and over. While these are pretty catchy they don’t really qualify as music in my opinion. The good news is that they don’t get annoying. There are also some short musical ditties that play while you do each micro-game. Again its really simple stuff only heard for a few seconds. It goes by so fast I certainly don’t remember any of it. During the retro Nintendo stages they play old Nintendo themes which I thought was awesome.

There are a few normal length songs in this game, and most of them are great. Every characters stage opens with an animated movie of them accompanied by an intro theme. I especially loved the disco theme for Jimmy T. There are also a main theme and a menu theme, both sounding pretty good but nothing amazing I’d want to listen to outside of the game. The characters Dribble and Spitz have a full vocal song play during their stage. While I’ve heard the full version before, in the game it’s broken up in-between the micro-games on their stage and so it sounds pretty neat instead of hokey.

Gameplay
For those of you who don’t have any idea what the WarioWare series is, I will briefly explain it. WarioWare games throw what it likes to call Micro-games at you in rapid succession and the goal is clear a certain amount of them without screwing up. The micro-games are like over simplistic mini-games that last only a few seconds. The challenge is not in performing the games, because they are toddler easy, but rather quickly figuring out what you need to do and doing it within the short time limit. It makes for some fast and frantic gameplay that constantly makes you think on your feet.

Before every micro-game the game will ask you to hold the remote a different way in preparation. It asks you to hold it in just about every conceivable way and really tosses things up so it doesn’t feel like you’re doing the same thing with a different background. As you progress through the single player it introduces you to these new poses so that you aren’t overwhelmed with them all at once.

The weirdest most embarrasing pose in the game

This game makes extensive use of motion control, and is one of the few games to do it right. Almost all of the actions work without a hitch and I found myself hardly struggling with the controls. The only micro-games that didn’t work so well were the ones that require you push and pull the Wii Remote towards the screen. The game has trouble detecting it and I have to do the required motion 3-4 times before it works. Now this very well could be my setup, because I have my TV further than 10 feet away from where I play and the sensor bar has trouble from that distance. Either way, I suggest you REALLY make sure your sensor bar is set up properly for this game.

Make sure your sensor bar is set up right or she dies

A nitpick of mine is that two of the games require you to be wearing the Wii Remote wrist strap and you’re supposed drop the remote and let it dangle. But then some of the other positions you hold it are almost impossible with the short length of the strap.

What I love about this game is that it encourages you to get up off your couch and get your whole body into the experience. Yes, if you want you can sit on the couch like a toolbox and cheat half the games, but like Wii Sports you won’t have much fun that way. WW:SM has you doing everything from Hula-hoops to sword fighting and you will look like a total goof doing all these crazy things in front of your TV. So note, if you’re a “I take myself very seriously” hardcorez gamer, this isn’t the game for you.

At the end of every stage there is a boss level. These boss levels are just like the micro-games but last a few minutes instead of seconds. Some of them are the best parts of the game and really creative. My favorite event in the whole game is the boss level where you need to dance in cue with other on screen dancers, and the Wii Remote detects if you’re doing it right.

Along with the main goal of beating endless waves of micro-games, there are also some mini-games included. I know with all this micro-game talk that might seem ridiculous, but think of the word mini-game as you would for any other normal game. There are some really good and addicting ones here. I particularly like the Darts mini-game, because after playing the Darts mini game in Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz the one found here is like a Godsend.

One of the coolest stages is the retro Nintendo stage. All the mini-games found in this stage are themed from various Nintendo games dating back to when Nintendo was a playing card company to the Gamecube. Being a big Nintendo fan I found it really cool to see certain games pop up. Even smaller titles like Animal Crossing and Pikmin make an appearance. The boss level for this stage is a pseudo Starfox level ripped straight from the original SNES Starfox. I like this boss level so much, I wish Nintendo would refine the experience and make a new Wii Starfox that controls this way.

Best Starfox in years!

This games style makes me say “what the heck??” a lot. I think whoever put together all the micro-games was on drugs because most of them make absolutely no sense. For example one micro-game has you slowly drink a glass of water without spilling it on your face. When you complete it the guy suddenly grows an afro and an excessive amount of nose hair. Another game has you do a few reps of barbell lifting, and when you beat it a bunch of Lion photographs decorated with royal crowns jump on the screen.

Seriously, whats going on?

The multiplayer modes in WarioWare Smooth Moves offer one of the most fun multiplayer experiences on the Wii. The best part is for most of them you only need one remote that is passed around, allowing up to 12 players at once. My favorite is the elimination mode where the remote is passed in a random order to all the players involved and each time it’s your turn you much do a micro-game. Fail and you get knocked out for the round until one is standing.

Lasting Appeal
Game can be beaten in about 2-3 hours which is pretty short compared to most games today. It is a title that is meant to be replayed but despite that I haven’t had much desire to replay the levels by myself.

As a multiplayer game this has some long legs. I have taken this to multiple parties and it’s always a favorite. Especially since each round goes so fast and up to 12 players can play (so nobody feels left out).

Final Thoughts
Despite the short 2-3 hours that this game initially lasted, I personally thought it worth the purchase. The experience was so fun and unique that the amount of enjoyment made up for the short time. In my opinion the full price of $50 (and its Nintendo published so that won’t be going down anytime soon) is asking too much for JUST the single player. So if you don’t have any friends and don’t play games multiplayer, I suggest renting.

If you haven’t played a WarioWare game before, this is a great one to start with. I can’t comment on how it compares to the rest of the series because this is the only entry I’ve played. If you are looking for a fun multiplayer game then make this part of your collection.

Gameplay Video

Last edited by Seraph; 08-04-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:04 PM   #117
Alucard

Need to get around to playing these and a bunch of others now that I finally got my wii working as intended. Once I finish some games that came before them. The pain of owning multiple game platforms and a pc. BLEAH! But I love it. Good review there mister seraph.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #118
Seraph

Nintendo Wii
1 Player
Developer - Nintendo EAD
Publisher - Nintendo

My Bias
-I enjoy new interactive ways to play
-I really wanted to lose weight

My Completion
-90+ days of daily use

This is a very hard game to review, as it’s not so much a game as it is an exercise tool. Therefore the usual categories like Story/Graphics/Music don’t have much weight on the overall product.

Story
Like Wii Sports and Wii Play before it, Wii Fit is a simplistic “everyone” game without any kind of story, plot or narration.

Graphics
Supports 16:9 Widescreen and Progressive Scan

Keeping with the tradition of the “Wii” line of games, Wii Fit has a simplistic style. Again this is not done because the developer is lazy or the Wii isn’t powerful enough, it’s done as an art style. It looks the way it does on purpose as to not scare away people who are intimidated by the complexity of traditional video games.

Simple, just like the other Wii games

I enjoyed how most of this game has a clean modern “grown up” look. A lot of exercise tapes or programs are either obnoxious or embarrassingly silly, but I have no problem with Wii Fit. The trainer that instructs you during the fitness activities looks like a manikin. They could have at least made their mouth move when they talk to you.

Nothing in this game is impressive visually but then again, none of it needs to be.

Music
Most of the music is calm and soothing. There are some good little melodies in here that help break the silence when doing but don’t become distracting. There is a main theme which is kind of good, but not as good as Wii Sports theme.

For the dancing mini-game the music is pretty boring. It’s just the same song and it didn’t make me feel like I wanted to dance or “get into” the beat at all.

A lot of the music gets repetitive. Now to be fair for any traditional game this would not be the case, because even after 30-40 some days of playing the music did not bother me. But I have played this for 90+ days now and some of the music is really starting to annoy me. The Hula Hoop music especially drives me crazy now.

Gameplay
Wii Fit comes packaged with the Wii Balance Board, being an accessory I decided to review it separately. You can read about my overall impressions here.

Lost in the Forum Crash

I will not be going over my weight loss results in this review either. If you would like to see how well Wii Fit worked as a weight loss tool for me, please check out my 90+ day results here.

Lost in the Forum Crash
To sum things up quick, I lost over 35 pounds and went from gut to flat tummy

As far as how well the Balance Board is implemented in Wii Fit, it works pretty well. Most of my movements were picked up on the board, almost too much in some cases. There are several balance tests the game puts you through and the amount of minute precision the board picks up was pretty impressive. It even uses the board in subtle ways I didn’t notice at first, such as checking if you are doing push-ups on it depending on the different pressure levels of your arms.

After about 60 some days of use, I started to notice some flaws in my game readouts. At the end of every day I would use the board to weigh myself, and perhaps I never noticed it before but it would not give me constant results. I could weight myself, pick up the board and shake it, weigh again and get a different result, sometimes almost a pound in difference. I can’t tell you how frustrating this was to somebody trying to lose weight. I don’t know if my board broke after so much use or if the board just isn’t that accurate. Along those lines, it’s almost like one of the sensor feet on the left of my board stopped functioning, because when I would do Hula-hoops exercise it wouldn’t register perfect circles clockwise no matter how I swung my hips.

Oh look, I lost another 4.6 pounds since the last time I played

It did take a while to “learn” how to use the board properly though. When I first tried it I would try to adjust the weight on the board by pushing my feet down harder, instead of naturally leaning to adjust my weight.

Wii Fit is comprised of two types of activities, exercises and games. The exercises are split up into 3 categories: Yoga, Strength Training and Aerobics. There is also a favorite’s category that displays your most frequently used activities for easy access. However that is the only way to fill out this Favorites menu, so it isn’t very optimal for creating a daily workout routine.

Yoga
The Yoga poses involve various stretches and breathing techniques. I have never done real Yoga before so I cannot comment on how well a job the exercises are to the real thing. The poses do stretch you out though, and I found some of the final poses to be near impossible. My favorite pose to do has you lie on your back, bend your knee in the air, and then cross it over your other leg. It cracked all the joints in my spine every time and felt really good.

Oh yes, feel that back crack

Strength Training
Most of the strength training exercises involve using your own bodies weight to work your muscles. Things such as push-ups, sit-ups, and lunges. These activities are designed to help you tone and define muscle, rather than bulk up. Don’t take it lightly though, the exercises found in this category will work you pretty hard. There is one exercise that has you grab onto the board with your forearms
Aerobics
The Aerobics are the bread and butter of the weight loss activities. Doing the few exercises in this category are guaranteed to burn calories. Strangely enough, the best calorie burning exercise in this category, jogging, doesn’t use the Balance Board at all. For jogging you put a Wii Remote in your pocket and follow an on screen trainer through an island course. When I first started using Wii Fit, I thought the runner was a great way to not only keep a steady pace but to help keep your mind off the fact that you were running. Eventually you can unlock Free Run which is the activity I used for the majority of my routine. In this mode you are given a time limit and you can see how far you can run before it’s up. The Wii Remote will also play sounds through its integrated speaker at different checkpoints, so you can watch TV & still know where you are at. My biggest problem with the running is that I could not find a proper was to carry the Wii Remote while doing it. I tried my pocket but it would bounce around too much and the game would think I was keeping an inconsistent pace. Because of this I eventually gave up caring about the score as the exercise was what I was really after.

Hula-hoops are another great exercise and not only got my heart rate going but also really worked my core muscles. This is one of the modes the game reads really well and so a lot of motivation can come from achieving a new high score.

The activity I didn’t like in aerobics is dancing. This activity works a lot like a slow Dance Dance Revolution, asking you to step on and off the board with the rhythm of a song. While it was fun the first couple times, I realized this exercise at its highest levels was still too slow to increase my heart rate.
Balance Games
Along with all the exercise activities, there are also a handful of games in Wii Fit. Overall I found them to be mini-games that lack substance a lot like what is found in Wii Play.

The Skiing game is the best one out of all of them. You control the player by leaning from side to side while trying to navigate through flagged checkmarks. It’s pretty fun and I’d like to see somebody make a full fledged skiing game based off this idea. There is also a Ski Jump but I didn’t think it worked very well. In this game you lean forward to pick up speed down the hill and then are supposed extend your legs to push off the Balance Board and jump. Perhaps it was just me and being afraid to break my board, but I couldn’t get this game to work properly. There is also a variation of skiing, snowboarding, which is the exact same thing but with the balance board twisted sidewise. I didn’t enjoy Snowboarding as much as skiing.

One of the better games

One of the much advertized games of Wii Fit is the Soccer Ball head butt. In this mode a bunch of Mii’s will kick soccer balls at you and you have to position your head to hit them by leaning back and forth. I found this mode to be incredibly difficult to play because I could find no happy medium to my leaning. No matter how much I tried my leans would be interpreted as all-or-nothing making me constantly miss.

The only other notable game I had fun with is the Marble game. Much like Sega’s Super Monkey Ball you have to move a ball across a course to the goal by shifting your weight. I found this mode to control really well and it starts to get really fun when they put multiple balls on the course.
As fun as all these games are, their biggest flaw is that they are all 1 player only. Wii Sports and Wii Play have competitive depth to them, so even though the games themselves are simple trying to beat another player makes for a fun experience. Since Wii Fit is 1 player however there is no additional depth to these simple games outside of getting new high scores. I think this is why they all lose their appeal so fast.

A big big frustrating part about this game is that most of the activities have to be unlocked. I cannot stand when videogames deny you from playing sections of themselves until you complete some mundane tasks that you may or may not have wanted to do in the first place. Because this is an exercise game it makes it even more aggravating. It takes hours to unlock everything in Wii Fit and in the mean time is tiring your muscles out. I don’t enjoy doing an exercise I hate over and over just to unlock the exercise that I enjoy. It feels like a complete waste of my time.

To give you an example, my girlfriend bought this game the same time that I did. When I would go over to her house I wanted do my daily routine over here. I thought about bringing my save file to her house but since Wii makes transferring save files a royal chore, I decided I would just start a new profile at her house. My new profile was like starting the game fresh, the game would not copy over all the activities she unlocked and instead was going to make me unlock them all again. Since at this point I was already well into my exercise routine, many of the exercises I had grown accustom to using were unavailable and was going to take a few hours to unlock. Very frustrating.

Along the lines of wasting time, the activities in Wii Fit take way too long to do. At first I didn’t mind because the game was fresh to me and my out of shape body was having trouble keeping up with it anyways. But as I got to be more in shape and moving further into my program the speed at which the game goes through the activities started to really annoy me. 45 minutes of actual exercises would take almost an hour and a half to complete. Once you get into a daily routine exercise is not exactly fun and I felt it was taking away from the little free time I did have to do what I enjoy. Because of this desire to get it over with as fast as possible I found when I did an exercise I would be ready to immediately start the next, and was really annoyed it took a full minute or two to click through the games menus, listen to the instructor, and wait for him/her to get into position, and slowly do the exercises. Many nights when I was pressed for time I would outright skip doing the exercises through Wii Fit and do them on my floor.

The woman will not shut up

I do not like the price of Wii Fit as well. The game itself is much like Wii Sports (A free pack-in game) and Wii Play (a $10 game), yet it costs $90 at retail. The balance board does not feel like an expensive piece of equipment and it will not be used in many other compelling games if any at all. Simply put, unless you are looking to get in shape with Wii Fit do not buy it.

At the end (or beginning) of your routine you can perform a “body test” which basically weighs you and makes you play some balance games. The game will try and determine a Wii Fit age from these results much like Brain Age does for the Nintendo DS. I did the full test a few times and could never hold consistent results. Some days I had perfect balance and some days I couldn’t stay steady at all. As I got more and more in shape my ability to do this didn’t improve and so I stopped caring. Luckily the game lets you skip doing the balance tests if you are just after your weight. From your weight and height the game will try to calculate your BMI, but that’s a horrible way to do so. It does not take into account different build types or the weight of muscle so the BMI number is completely useless.

Perhaps the best part of Wii Fit is the graphs that help you track your progress

Lasting Appeal
The games in Wii Fit don’t last very long at all. They are a lot like the games found in Wii Sports and Wii Play, but lack any kind of multiplayer appeal so playing them by yourself gets boring fast.

As an exercise tool it will last as long as you have the motivation to get in shape. After almost 120 days I am still playing it everyday.

Final Thoughts
Wii Fit is an exercise tool first and a game second. At its high entry price I can’t recommend it to anyone looking at it for the game aspects. The high price tag is especially discouraging since the included Balance Board is not used in any other compelling games.

However for exercise I cannot recommend it enough, both as a tool and a motivator. The changes Wii Fit has helped me make to my lifestyle was worth every penny.

Gameplay Video

Last edited by Seraph; 08-04-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #119
Seraph

Nintendo Wii - Virtual Console
1-2 Players
Developer - Ancient
Publisher - Sega

My Bias
-Never played the original
-Had Sega fans tell me it was an awesome beat’em-up

My Completion
-Beaten the game on Normal difficulty

Story
The game opens with a brief story that takes place after the original Streets of Rage. I never watch this opening for more than 5 seconds before I hit start and begin the actual game. I tried to sit through it once and I want my time back. Same thing with when you beat the game, it shows some more cut scenes of you saving some boy from the evil mob boss.

The story is really stupid to me and has no impact on this game. You are a tough guy that beats up thugs and that’s the bottom line.

Graphics
The graphics are pretty good for Genesis standards. There is a lot of color used here and it’s done in such a way that hides the consoles weaknesses. For example there are some “transparent” overhead lights in the first level that give the illusion that the game is pulling off transparency (something the Gen isn’t capable of), but really it’s just alternating yellow pixels that come through on most TV’s looking transparent. Regardless of how they did it, the effects look good.

The animations on the playable characters are pretty good, as well as the bosses. The animations for the normal enemies are pretty poor though, totaling at about 5-6 frames max.

The black character doing hip-hop moves next to some fried chicken. Did I mention he also runs the fastest?

Very common with Beat’em ups from this era, there are only a few enemy sprites that are just re-colored as you get farther in the game. This is fine and considering the time frame when this game was released its more than acceptable. By today’s standards this looks really lazy, but it didn’t bother me much.

It's like Boo!

I asked myself the question throughout the game, why was this game on the Genesis? Yes, I know it’s a Sega IP and it certainly wasn’t going to appear on the SNES. I’m just saying it moves at a super slow pace and doesn’t take advantage of any of the consoles strengths. It seems like an odd fit to me.

Music
The music for SoR2 is probably the most impressive part for me. My impression for Genesis music outside of the Sonic the Hedgehog series was horrible, often sounding like NES music. What we have in SoR2 sounds fantastic though. Not only quality wise, but the composition is beautiful. All of it is done in a jazzy theme and is such a great fit for this game.

The opening stage is legendary music to me. I have actually heard this theme remixed a lot on the internet and didn’t know this is where it was from. It’s just so catchy and memorable. Halfway through Stage 1 the setting transitions to a bar, where the music changed into something more low key with some excellent bass. Most of the other stages have some awesome themes, Stage 3 in particular. The boss theme is a simple loop but gives a good danger feeling.

This soundtrack is so good I wish I could purchase an OST of it, but it doesn’t look like one exists.

Gameplay
The controls are really easy. This game works with the Wii Remote turned on its side (my preference) as well as all other controllers. With the remote turned on its side the D-Pad moves your character around, 1 is attack, 2 is jump, and pulling off specials is done with the A button. At first I didn’t like the placement of the A button for specials, but then I realized I can hit it with the tip of my left thumb so it works well.

There are 4 selectable characters all with different strengths and weaknesses. The character select screen will tell you how each character scores in different areas such as Speed and Power, but that’s only half of it. The other difference is that each character has a different move set. For example, Axels’ flaming uppercut is one of the most powerful attacks in the game, making him almost invincible and knocking whoever he hits to the floor. Blaze attacks different than the other characters with the Knife allowing her to get too attacks in opposed to one. I found it easiest to go through the game with Axel, simply because of his overpowered uppercut.

The only correct choice

There are a total of 8 stages all together, increasing in difficulty of course. Some of the stages made no sense to me, for example you go from fighting street thugs to fighting aliens? The later stages get ridiculously hard often throwing enemies that were previously bosses at you in waves. The overall difficulty of this game is pretty hard on Normal mode. Luckily the options menu lets you select difficulty which I think all games should do. The stages are kept fresh by having multiple segments. What I don’t like in a lot of Beat’em ups is that you walk through the entire stage looking at the same backdrops and it tends to wear thin. Every stage in SoR2 is broken up into parts, with a usual sub-boss at the end of each section. It keeps things interesting and is a welcomed design.

One of the most frustrating things with this game is that enemies will walk off screen and stay there. Since they always stay a certain distance away from you, if you try to stand next to the edge of the screen and wait for them it will take even longer. It becomes very tedious walking all the way back to the middle of the screen, just so the enemy will walk back on and you can resume fighting.

The bosses in this game are pretty hard. They have some uninterruptable attacks that they like to counter with as soon as they have been knocked down. There are certain bosses that are so hard it takes me an entire batch of lives just to take them down.

Look at me pwn two bosses at once!

As a problem with all beat’em ups, this game puts you in impossible situations too much. Guys will come at you from all angles and get you cornered, and at that point you get juggled and can’t move. I know part of the challenge is to not let that happen, but it happened a lot so either I suck or that’s just the way the game is.

One of the coolest parts of this game is that you can find and use weapons. Knife, Pipe, Katana, and a Kunai. Enemies can use them too and you can knock them out of the enemy’s hands to use for yourself. It’s so satisfying getting the steel pipe and busting people over the head with it. Along with the weapon pickups there are Health and Money pickups along the way. Money pickups don’t do anything but raise your score, which I don’t see a point to in a game like this. Health pickups are nice, but too often will I go to pick one up and get beat up during the pickup animation.

A Pipe to the back of the head is always effective

Lasting Appeal
The game takes probably an hour to hour and a half to beat it all the way through. Because this is a beat’em up game, it’s meant to be played over and over. With the different characters all offering a different play style and multiple difficulty levels there is plenty of reason to go back and play through again.

With a friend to play this with the game is a lot of fun. This is a great pick up and play game and the Virtual Console helps in that regard. Click on its channel and within seconds you are in the action.

Final Thoughts
Streets of Rage 2 has become my second favorite beat’em up game, only outshined by TMNT IV:TiT. It really surprised me in terms of quality for a Genesis title.

If you enjoy old school beat’em ups and want a game that you can easily jump in and out of pick up this game. At $8 it’s a great value that will provide many hours of fun, especially with a friend.

Gameplay Video

Last edited by Seraph; 09-01-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 PM   #120
Seraph

Nintendo Wii - Virtual Console
1 Player
Developer - Treasure
Publisher - Nintendo

My Bias
-I had high expectations due to fan praise

My Completion
-Beaten several times on Normal difficulty

Story
Because this is one of the Virtual Consoles “Import” titles, it means that it minimum translation was done to make the game playable. The player does not need to understand Japanese at all in order to grasp this game.

This games storyline makes utterly no sense at all. As soon as you click start game you are thrown into a grassy field and must start shooting down baddies. At first I thought “oh well, this is more of an arcade title anyways guess it doesn’t have a story.” But then after the first stage ends the cut scenes begin to start. These cut scenes are so random it’s almost impossible to tell what’s going on. Furthermore there is nothing in place to explain to the player what the heck is going on. Important sounding characters appear only to die minutes later, the main characters have a goal in mind, but by the next stage they are off on some completely unrelated tangent. It feels like there is a lot more to this game and I’m jumping in the middle of a grander story. I just found it impossible to follow.

This isn’t all because it’s Japanese either. I am a big time Anime fan and can watch most Japanese cartoons without getting lost. The story in Sin & Punishment just isn’t told well at all. It’s kind of a shame too, because from what I’m able to piece together the overall story and themes of this game could actually be really good if done right.

I really have no idea whats going on. NO idea.

From what I understand the story follows a young group of adventurous youth, the main boy Saki, his girlfriend Airan and some really powerful magic girl named Achi. They are out on a mission to stop the “Ruffians”, alien type creatures, from invading earth. Both Saki and Airan have super powers as well because they were given some of Achi’s blood. Then there is a bad guy who was also given Achi’s blood who opposes you, fighting ensues. Later Saki turns into a mecha? Then they go inside of his internal organs? Then somehow end up in the future? That’s about all I could pull from this games story. The best part is that they are all instantly skippable.

This game also has English voice acting. I have no idea why a Japanese import title has English voice acting with Japanese subtitles, but all the more better for us English speaking players. A lot of the voice work is actually pretty decent considering its Japanese people speaking English. There isn’t a hint of Japanese accents. But other times the voices are impossible to make out. The characters say sentences that just don’t make any sense, and garble their speech. I was able to figure out what was going on more from the choreography than the actual speech.

Graphics
This game uses an extremely gritty art style. The characters have a lot of dark accents on them and give off a very “dirty” look.

Most the characters and monsters in this game are also painfully sharp. I mean poke out your eye with their knee caps sharp. Perhaps this was part of the intended visual style, but I didn’t care for it. The problem with these sharp polygons is that they stick through each other. You can see many instances where they polygons overlap and it comes off looking sloppy.

One of the best looking stages in the game

The camera angles in this game are nothing short of amazing. Zooming in and out, zipping around corners, it makes for a really exciting game to watch. One minute the camera will be behind your character, the next will be viewing everything upside-down while flying through the air.

In terms of effects and overall look this game is good by N64 standards. There are lots of flashy effects and explosions which are nice to look at. A lot of the game is spent keeping track of what you’re shooting at so not much time is spent dwelling on the visuals.

Tons of stuff to shoot

Music
It feels like the developer, Treasure, really dropped the ball here. Most of the music is this soft mellow “rock”. Let me make it clear, the music is SOFT. I hear guitars going, it sounds like they are “rocking out”, but it all sounds like its coming through a softening filter that keeps it from being exciting. Not once did I ever feel fueled by the music, and in such an action intense game I see that as a big drawback.

None of the games tracks jump out as memorable. That’s a shame too because this games action would have been a perfect fit for an energetic and catchy soundtrack. No way would I listen to this games soundtrack outside of the game.

Gameplay
For those who have never heard of this game before, Sin & Punishment plays like an on-foot Starfox game. If you have played the Landmaster missions in Starfox 64 then you have an idea of how the game plays. Like Starfox, this is a Rail Shooter, meaning you don’t get to freely move around and just shoot at things by pushing a cursor around with the analog stick. However unlike Starfox the aiming cursor is independent of your characters movement giving a lot more mobility. A lot of the movement feels like it was inspired by fast paced Anime, letting you double jump and perform dodge rolls.

You only get one kind of gun during the game, but it can switch between two different bullets. Orange bullets fly straight and do a lot of damage, and blue bullets do less damage but allow you to lock on to targets. I found that the game was actually harder using the blue bullets because it takes FOREVER to kill things that way. Besides, there are only 1-2 instances during the game when an enemy moves so fast its hard to aim.

You also have a sword that can slash enemies up close. This does a ton of damage and is a great way of keeping enemies out of your face (never understood why in games getting sliced with a sword does more damage than a barrage of plasma bullets). The sword is also awesome because you can use it to reflect missiles, sending them flying to wherever your cursor is placed.

Swords are always more powerful than guns

Now this all might sound cool as heck, and trust me it pretty much is. But the controls are frustrating as heck. This is one of the hardest games to control I have ever played. If there was ever a poster child for Wii’s philosophy that games are now too complex, this is it. I’m not talking like Street Fighter complexity, where certain moves are just hard to perform. What I’m talking about is the amount of buttons and commands you must constantly keep track of in your head. Aiming, Switching Bullets, Avoiding danger, Rolling, Double Jumping, Reflecting. It’s not a very intuitive setup and after beating the game several times I still struggle.

Try dodging stuff like this while keeping your aim

Some of the stages flip into side scrolling stages that resemble a 2D platformer. These would be awesome as heck but the confusing controls are even worse here. Luckily there aren’t many of these stages.

Almost all of the boss fights in this game rule. They have learnable patterns and it’s really fun to get their pattern down and conquer them. Especially because on normal mode their difficulty is pretty high, I have died on several occasions. Once you learn a boss’s pattern and start dodging their attacks it makes for some really intense fights that look really awesome. It’s not often that the actual gameplay sections of video game look entertaining.

Dosen't get cooler than pushing the boss off the buildings edge with bullets.

As far as the localization goes on Virtual Console, they didn’t change much. All the menus are now translated into English but that’s about the extent of it. It’s not my place to criticize the efforts behind Virtual Console, because I honestly have no idea what goes behind making a game. But why does this game cost $2 more than all the other N64 games when the only difference is a translated main menu? To me it doesn’t seem like that would be much extra work, but who knows it also could be licensing.

Overall this game feels like its straight out of the Arcade. The action is instant, its fast, and it’s a ton of fun. I think that’s why I love this game so much, especially now on Virtual Console. No loading, No profiles, No cut scenes, No finding save points. One click from the Wii menu and I’m almost instantly in the action blasting away with no obligations forcing me to keep going once I’ve had my fill. Sin & Punishment has that cool “always hold down the fire button” arcade feel to it that is hard to describe but gives off such an adrenaline rush.

Lasting Appeal
My first time through I beat the game in about 2 hours. Sin & Punishment is very re-playable much like your typical Starfox game is. The story, graphics, and music aren’t going to keep you around but that’s a testament to just how fun the gameplay is. It is one of my most replayed Virtual Console games.

Final Thoughts
After putting a lot of time into it I will say that this is one of the best N64 games of all time and it’s such a blessing to have localized. For $12 this game is a steal.

This game was also never released outside of Japan, so it should be new to everybody. That kind of nullifies the “not paying money for old ROMs!” argument. If you enjoy arcadey, fast paced, “blast everything” games then do yourself a favor and buy this.

Gameplay Video

Last edited by Seraph; 09-01-2009 at 09:33 PM.