The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 12-14-2008, 01:02 AM   #1486
Vegetto
Alive

As I said before, I loved playing this game, its the only reason I was friends with one kid, because I'd go to his house and play it.

I remember wanting Road Rash 64 SOOO bad, I never did play that.
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:35 AM   #1487
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

The only reason you were friends with a particular kid? *shakes head*

P.S: im kidding LIKE USUAL!
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #1488
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Ghostbusters
8.4/10
Sega Genesis

The box doesn't need to be anything
more than this.

With all of the recent talk of a new Ghostbusters game and the possibility of a real Ghostbusters 3 movie, I felt it appropriate to review the best Ghostbusters game ever made... the one developed by Compile (MUSHA, Puyo Puyo, Space Megaforce, etc) for the Sega Genesis 16-Bit Entertainment Super System. This is the only Ghostbusters game that I am aware of that even makes a half-assed attempt at getting the characters to look anything like they did in the movie. However it should be known that Compile absolutely hates black people, so Winston was not allowed to be in this game. That is unfortunate, but maybe Obama will create a whole bunch of new laws and Sega will be forced to recall all copies of the Ghostbusters cart to add him in. In the meantime, however, you can play as any of the 3 other guys. Even Slimer is in the game, but not refered to as such. However he is a good guy since he gives you powerups when you shoot him in the ass, so this game was at least a little influenced by The Real Ghostbusters cartoon in that respect. It should also be noted that this game is NOT based on either movie. It seems to take place after the Ghostbusters are already established and they're just taking on new cases.

Some ghosts can help you, like the little blue dude on the left who bounces your ghostbustin' ass higher.
On the right is the typical screen you are in before each mission. Looks super-complex and confusing, but it's not.

Graphics: 7.26/10
This was a fairly early Genesis game and only had 4 MEGA POWER, so amazing graphics were not very likely to be found here. However they are more than good enough to do the job. The game has kind of a super-deformed style that is more friendly and cute than the movies themselves. The charicatures are pretty good and there are lots of vivid colors used for the enemies and backgrounds. You get the Stay Puft marshmellow man because people go apeshit if there is anything Ghostbusters-related without Stay Puft in it. However Stay Puft does flicker a little bit. Well tear, actually... not flicker. One thing I do not like is how Stay-Pufts hand, when smashing through the wall, seems to be cut off instead of being seen through the entire hole (see screen shot below). A little more effort and attention to details like this would have made things better.

Stay Puft punches through walls trying to ruin your shit as you advance through this level. More attention should have been paid here.
If you pause the game, you can see a map and select different items as well as your bombs (which hurt ghosts, like all bombs do).

Sound: 8.5/10
Compile usually has great game music, and this game certainly does not disappoint. You get an average rendition of the theme song in the title screen, but beyond that it is all original music. The melodies are composed very well for each stage and even the shop music and other ancillary tunes are fantastic. The sound effects are average but effective. If this game had a higher MEGA POWER, it would have been awesome to have demon screams or whatever for some of the bosses, but due to the "cute" style of the game they would probably have been out of place.

The boss requires all of your cunning, strategy and skills to defeat. If you can do it, your efforts
will be on the front page of the Daily Sega News. Turn to page 14B to see how high Sega's profits are!

Gameplay: 8/10
By far the best playing Ghostbusters game ever. No worries about driving around endlessly on a map with a Ghostbusters icon and then driving to each location on a seemingly never-ending street, this game is all about the action. As a platform game it is near-perfect. The controls are dead-on for the most part, with the exception being that diagonals are turned off like the arcade version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts. That means if your thumb accidentally presses a diagonal direction while walking, your character will come to a dead stop. For this reason I highly recommend playig the game with the Sega Arcade Stick. It is an awesome, weighted joystick with few equals and provides the rapid fire that you will also desparately need in this game. If you have this stick, your enjoyment of the game will increase tenfold. Between the action stages there are shops to buy crap like lights, bombs and food and other nonsense. You usually have more than enough money for this, provided you trap each of the ghosts. The gameplay is tough without being overly difficult, though it can seem pretty hard to trap a ghost the first few times you try until you get the hang of it. You only have to trap the mid-bosses after they are defeated, by the way. Catching them is not necessary and only means you get some extra cash money as a result. Once you get to the last round, you'll find that it is very maze-like and seemingly very long. Good luck!

The mid-level bosses are a far cry from scary, but that's OK. The thing that matters is that it is "hella-fun".
Be sure to get your revenge on Slimer for what he did to you in the first movie!

Trap the mid-level boss after you defeat it and the woman will sleep with you... soundly!
She'll even pay you for it. What a whore!

Wrap up:
A damn fine game that's more enjoyable than many of today's games, but then again that's not a surprise, is it?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:39 PM   #1489
Vegetto
Alive

I really wanted to try this out, looks really enjoyable.
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #1490
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Ohh nice! I enjoyed this game but not all the way to the end. Just enough for myself to promise to go back and finish it someday which I still mean to. And you're right, this game IS more enjoyable then most of the games released today.
So how long does it take you to beat it?
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:02 PM   #1491
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
diagonals are turned off like the arcade version of Ghouls 'n Ghosts. That means if your thumb accidentally presses a diagonal direction while walking, your character will come to a dead stop.
What??? Why in the heck would they do this? That would drive me crazy with the Genesis's circle D-Pad. I'm not sure I'd enjoy playing a platformer with an arcade stick either.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:54 PM   #1492
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Same reason Ghouls 'n Ghosts did it, probably... but at least you could turn diagonals on in the Genesis version (you can't in any other version such as arcade compilations for PS2, Xbox, Saturn and the such.) And the stick feels really nice. It has a dedicated area for your left hand to rest. No other stick has that. Sega is teh r00l. I am not a joystick fan, but this is the only one I like aside from the Mission Stick on the Saturn, which is teh r00l for Space Harrier and After Burner.

How long does it take? I bet you could get through the game in an hour with practice, 45 minutes if you're really good.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #1493
Kiryu1985
Communist

Have you played the game Flink for the sega cd? I thought it was an ok game with good graphics.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #1494
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

When are you going to pay homage to your avatar and do a review for The Immortal?

Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:41 AM   #1495
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Good idea, AtariX! Also he should discuss whether the European or Japanese versions of Storm Lord have the nude faeries that were once pictured in an EGM preview.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #1496
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I don't really care for The Immortal. It has cool box art, nothing more. Not even the extreme celebrity endorsement of the world-famous Will Harvey can save it. Maybe if it was Fiddy Cent's Immortal...
Old 01-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #1497
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
I don't really care for The Immortal. It has cool box art, nothing more. Not even the extreme celebrity endorsement of the world-famous Will Harvey can save it. Maybe if it was Fiddy Cent's Immortal...
Good one.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #1498
Peppy
Barrel Roller

Nice Road Rash review. <3 that game.
Peppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #1499
NES4EVER
Gibby

Nice review of the Ghostbusters. I remember you saying that game was good in some thread few years back and I totally forgot about obtaining a copy off ebay since it's one of the few 16bit era games deemed "good" that I missed out on somehow.

Did you ever play the "New Ghostbusters II" on NES? It was much better than the two NES Ghostbusters we got in North America. It played similar to Zelda, had all four of the characters (including Winston, although he looked more like a Smurf than an African American because his skin was Mega Man blue" you could also play as the chick that answered the phone, why? no fuggin clue..

I'll have to give this Sega version a go sometime soon.
PSN ID - GIBBYVA
NES4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #1500
Paper exe
Pwnd

What's up Joe? Where is your Little Big Planet review?! I cannot find it, I was sure that you had one. What's going on in here?
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote