The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 05-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #1471
Vegetto
Alive

the voices reallllly get on my nerves, more so than previous MK games, the miis are just horrible
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #1472
Seraph
>:3

Are they really that bad? I didnt think it could get much worse than "HI IM DAISY, HI IM DAISY".
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:58 AM   #1473
NES4EVER
Gibby

They do that stupid third person shit in Mario Party games as well.

"OH YEAH, Luigi like-ah DAT!" = annoying

I agree the game is kinda weak and feels rushed. The only thing that makes it better than Double Dash is the bonus online play. Basically the same game with some fresh boards + online.

That said though, it's still a fun party game and has much better mechanics than shit like Nitrobike, GT Pro Series and other trashy racers on the Wii.

It would've really been cool had they made some kind of track editor/builder for it or made another game mode they hadn't before. Something like Demolition Derby.

EDIT - BTW, this was a reply to Joe's post 2 doors down.. MB is caught in a time loop
PSN ID - GIBBYVA

Last edited by NES4EVER; 05-03-2008 at 06:02 AM.
NES4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 04:44 AM   #1474
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

The voices are annoying but the game overall is great. Joe is filled with piss and vinegar so his review should be taken with that in mind. If you plan to play online then this game is well worth it. Offline is fun and the AI doesn't get super cheap until the Mirror mode. But even then it still is fun and kept me coming back until I beat it. Good Game.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:06 AM   #1475
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The characters talk about themselves in the third person. If you play with Mario and you win, Mario will say something like "Mario number one yeah oooooo!" Turn off the sound and turn on something high quality like Stone Temple Pilots or Trent Razor.

Anyway it seems like my review has made Vicviper sad. Online does not make or break the game. As it is on its own, it's a 6. Is 6 a horrible rating? Read my letter published in EGM to find out what I had to say about people who could not grasp the concept of 5 being "average". There just really isn't a lot to the game. It's very small, very minimal and hastily made with little effort (this cannot be argued with). For a current generation game, it is definitely a bit weak.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:44 AM   #1476
SuperAngelo64
Surprise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
Stone Temple Pilots
I could either listen to "Hi, I'm Daisy!" or their one and only good song.Sour Girl

Hmmmm....
SuperAngelo64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #1477
camac
I feel so good.

Quote:
The characters talk about themselves in the third person. If you play with Mario and you win, Mario will say something like "Mario number one yeah oooooo!" Turn off the sound and turn on something high quality like Stone Temple Pilots or Trent Razor.
Mario and pals have had shitty voices and retarded one liners since around the N64 days, I remember back in the NES days and the Super Mario Super Show when he and the rest of them had great hilarious voices. I never understood why Nintendo decided to give him a different voice than the ones in the cartoon.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #1478
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAngelo64
their one and only good song.
Ah! So they do have a good song! I just knew they would be the epitome of quality, otherwise they would not be the Stone Temple Pilots!
Old 05-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #1479
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Quote:
Anyway it seems like my review has made Vicviper sad. Online does not make or break the game. As it is on its own, it's a 6. Is 6 a horrible rating? Read my letter published in EGM to find out what I had to say about people who could not grasp the concept of 5 being "average". There just really isn't a lot to the game. It's very small, very minimal and hastily made with little effort (this cannot be argued with). For a current generation game, it is definitely a bit weak.
Nope. I'm not sad because I know I didn't waste my money. There is a lot more to this game if you look deeper. If you are just looking at off line then yes it is a bit weak. But, there is plenty to keep me interested online. A couple of examples, Racing for VR points. While you find them idiotic it's a good way to measure yourself with other players and it's fun racing knowing there is more at stake then just a finish. The Mario Kart Channel. Again it's fun to download other peoples ghosts and try and beat them and see what there strategies are for courses. The tournament picks one course and you have a week to race it as many times as you want to get your lowest time which then you can measure yourself with people from your region or accross the world.
This is where I think your score is flawed. You reviewed the game based on racing offline and racing online but didn't even try any of the other aspects such as the Mario Kart Channel. But again it's your review and your opinions and if you only want to scratch the surface of the game then that's up to you.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #1480
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAngelo64 View Post
I could either listen to "Hi, I'm Daisy!" or their one and only good song.Sour Girl

Hmmmm....

The music video begs to differ.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:28 PM   #1481
George Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachalmighty View Post
[UTUBE]SUM CRAZY VIDEO[/UTUBE]

The music video begs to differ.
WTF is this... well damn, this ain't too bad (the video is pretty weird though).
Old 05-05-2008, 12:36 AM   #1482
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Vic, I think you're grasping for straws looking for things to really like in the game. Sure, some of those things are neat but in no way do they make the game ten times better than just playing offline. In fact those features would have to be super incredible if I was only "scratching the surface" with my review. Compared to many other games on other systems, even the online mode is very weak and limited, though I admit it is really good.... for Nintendo. I know I've urged you to start up your own review thread and I would still love to see it. Yes, I'd be there to argue with you but hey, that's half the fun!

Still, a somewhat lackluster effort overall. I wish they had taken their time with this like they did with Super Mario Galaxy. I am quite surprised at when this game came out. Nintendo usually likes to stretch their releases out. This time the product clearly suffered as a result.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #1483
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

No way! I have neither the time nor talent to make any sort of review thread that is interesting to the public like yours. Plus I like pointing out things in your reviews. Like the fact that you missed some of the online portion of Mario Kart that might interest readers even if it doesn't interest you. And that if you are going to review a game that all contents should be mentioned. But then again it is your review thread and I am just criticizing.
Nintendo is behind in the online game and it's no secret. I bet by the end of the Wii's life Nintendo might include some sort of real chat with there games rather then pre picked phrases..
Old 12-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #1484
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Road Rash
8.5/10
3DO

3DO games always had horrible boxes that resembled the
old way music CDs used to be sold. Although this version
has a warning about mature themes on the box, the Sega CD,
Playstation and Saturn versions are rated K-A, age 6+. A
game like this would get at least a TEEN rating these days.

Road Rash started on the mighty and powerful Sega Genesis and spawned two sequels. Then the 3DO system was released for $699 US dollars (which is well over $1,020 in todays dollars) and EA was preparing the franchise with a complete reboot ala Batman Begins, but redressed in 3DO graphics and sound. Most the old characters are here and the courses as well. I remember the day I picked up Road Rash for the 3DO very well. Fellow forum member Vic Viper called me up excited as could be, informing me that Walden Software had just gotten their shipment in. Since I had off that day, he told me to pick up his copy for him as well. I drove way up to the store in my mighty brown 1984 Ford Tempo and got the games. When I got home I played for a bit and was then called by United Artists Greenwood Plaza about a projectionist job I had applied for. I went down and was interviewed and hired on the spot. This job would end up changing my life both professionally and personally forever. I drove from this job to my old job and put in my two weeks notice. After that I drove home and ate. I think I then drove up to fellow forum member Vic Viper's house with his copy or maybe he drove down to my place. Whatev. I can't believe my brown 1984 Ford Tempo survived all of the driving that awesome day.

Typical screen in Road Rash. Why does one way only
get one lane, and the other way gets three? WTF???

Story: 10/10
When you think "Road Rash", you automatically think "epic writing". This incarnation of the game is no different. The evil Road Rash Empire has an iron grip on the world. A rebel army, led by Teflon Mike, tries to organize a coup against the Road Rash Empire, but fails time and time again. Meanwhile Slim is brainwashed by Rhonda and takes on the persona of a Dark Knight. He is put in charge of the mission to build a giant Warship for the Road Rash Empire, which is based in the city of San Fransisco. Pearl now decides to send some random youths and Slash to San Fransisco to stop the building of the Warship. When they arrive they overhear rumors that the Dark Knight has been called back to the Road Rash Empire, and Bose Jefferson has taken his place as overseer of the Warship project. However, Bose is sloppier than the Dark Knight, and the youths manage to sneak in via the sewers. However, the Dark Knight is waiting for them and informs them that the Warship is already complete; he and Bose escape on it. They strafe several cities and kill many people. Before leaving San Fransisco, the three youths pick up a pass that the Dark Knight leaves behind. This pass grants entry into a motorcycle race in which the fate of the entire universe will be decided. Great stuff! This story is so hot that fans have drawn the characters in a manga/anime style and even own wall scrolls of them!

That is an innocent pedestrian that I am running over there.

Graphics: 7.5/10
The graphics are pretty good for the 3DO, and that was a system not really known for anything particularly outstanding. It featured tr00 scaling so obviously it was quite badass. The game ran around 20 frames per second or so, but in 1994 that was way s00per badass. The graphics got really blocky when things got close, but thanks to a certain popular system called the SNES, blocky graphics meant "awesome hi-tech". This game was like living in a lucid dream. There is plenty of draw-in in the distance, but it was never really distracting. The menus and characters were all drawn/painted/whatever with a warped, exaggerated style, a great sense of humor and in a very high resolution. All of the characters and objects during the actual gameplay are digitized Mortal Kombat-style from real photographs and whatnot and are all 2D sprites. This makes the graphics a bit worse as a result, but they are still better than Mortal Kombat simply because it's not Mortal Kombat. There isn't a lot of variety in the racing environments. You have a ciy with buildings of a few different colors and open spaces, all very California-esque. There is also an oceanside. That's about it, really. You have many different tracks to choose from, but they all share textures for their environments. The environmental textures are not digitized like the 2D sprites are.

Road Rash rubbers. Under "All new" it says: "Stop the rash.
Wear the rubber". Remember, this game is rated 6 years +.

Sound 8/10
To me, the soundtrack of this game just screams "the 90's". That might be because it was made in the 90's. Many 90's grunge/rock bands from the fantastic music label A&M Records have their music represented here. No other labels were permitted to participate because they just couldn't measure up to the level of absolute perfection that the 3DO multimedia entertainment system demanded. Anyway, most of the music is actually quite listenable and even starts to grow on you. I really think this music adds to the game. The licensed music only plays during the menus and FMV portions of the game. Strange MIDI-esque type music generated by the system plays during the actual races. That music is OK... it isn't offensive or anything. The main complaint that most people have is that the licensed music doesn't play during the races. To me, it works just fine this way. If licensed music played while you race you'd quickly get bored with it and I don't think it would be as fitting. The sound quality of the songs is a tad muffled since it is streamed with limited bandwidth off of the disc, but still somehow manages to be in stereo. The game purports to be in Dolby Surround, and the whine of the engines and the police sirens actually do come out of the surround speakers when appropriate. This game has many hilarious sound effects like hitting other riders with a club. Every scream and grunt is limited to about a half-second (at most).

Getting hit by a blocky car sucks since it can completely
end the race in an instant.

Gameplay: 8.5/10
The gameplay is almost exactly the same as the Genesis versions. You race, you fight, you buy new bikes, the tracks get longer with each new level, etc... In the "Schmooze" section that you can enjoy between races, other characters will either berate you or give you some good advice. However if you fight these characters during the races, they will no longer give you advice and will instead fight you and try to defeat you just like the Playstation defeated the N64... embarrassingly. The one new thing added to this game is the branching paths that show up occasionally. These don't really add much to the game except a little variety. There really isn't much to the game play here. But it is quite fun to play if only for the cheesiness factor and the over-the-top corny violence. The loading can be slow and each time you move the cursor on a menu screen it has to load. This can be aggrivating but this is really as bad as the game ever gets. It's just so fun to run over the pedestrians who wander the city streets for no reason whatsoever (including grannys with walkers). They even fight back... or try to. I do like how this game does not take itself very seriously and that helps me enjoy it even more. I have a hard time enjoying games that are really full of themselves (**cough** MetalGearSolid series **cough**). The newer, 3D versions of the game pretty much ruined the series (especially that gawdawful N64 incarnation) so we haven't seen Road Rash in a long time. Hopefully someone like Criterion will make a new Road Rash that is worth playing.

Here's some Road Rash clips I made for you. In stereo! Enjoy.

The intro, beginning a race, some race clips, and a few different FMVs.

Other versions:
This game was ported to the Playstation, Saturn and even the Sega CD. How do they stack up? Well the Playstation version is probably the most faithful to the original 3DO version. But the graphics are now in 240p (the 3DO was a 480i-only machine). The graphics during the game don't suffer as a result, but all of the menu screens seem much lower-res. The engine sounds are a bit louder and the loading times are a touch longer on the PS version as well. Let's not forget the eternity it takes the average PS game to save to a memory card. The Saturn version is also in 240p, has slightly worse-looking FMV clips than the PS and 3DO versions but the gameplay runs at faster, smoother frame rate. The in-game music has changed and is now more quiet and more bizarre. I don't like it. The Sega CD version looks like the Genesis cartridge versions but with the digitized sprites. It is also the only version to play the licensed music during the actual races, though they sound really muffled and in mono. The graphics bear absolutely no resemblance to the 3DO orignal except for the grainy low-res menus and the super grainy FMVs. But at least it saves and loads faster than the Playstation version.

Wrap-up:
This game hasn't aged particularly well (kind of like your mom), but still remains a pick-up and play classic to this day (also like your mom). Recommended (not like your mom).
Old 12-14-2008, 01:00 AM   #1485
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

This review gets better every time you post it.
Road Rash is like the second 3DO game I ever rented. If not for the repetitive scenery and brutal difficulty, it'd still be super fun.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote