The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 05:01 AM   #1
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,622
"PC Gaming Alliance" to be formed

I'm not sure what they have planned, but I think ATI/nVidia/Microsoft should get together and focus on computer parts pricing. Its shitty that the consoles cost so little and lose money while making it back on games, but they dont take this to the PC market aswell.

Obviously you dont have licensing on PC unlike consoles. But you DO have ad revenue and other stuff, and also its massively important for nvidia and ati to make their money so they can create graphics cards that are more and more powerful. This is also what the consoles strongly revolve around aswell but people dont seem to realise this. Cant wait to hear what they got planned.



Quote:
The personal computer game industry has trailed behind its console brethren in recent years as easy-to-play games on the Nintendo Wii or online games on the Xbox 360 have stolen the excitement.

Companies with a vested interest in keeping the PC alive as a gaming platform will soon announce a consortium dubbed the PC Gaming Alliance. According to two people familiar with the effort, it will include top industry players such as Intel, Microsoft, Nvidia and Advanced Micro Devices as well as a number of computer companies.

The companies are preparing the announcement in advance of next week's Game Developers Conference in San Francisco. Part of the pitch is that the industry group will keep the PC competitive with game consoles to attract key game developers.
http://www.mercurynews.com/columns/ci_8238036
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
flowForth
Programmer
 
flowForth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
I'm not sure what they have planned, but I think ATI/nVidia/Microsoft should get together and focus on computer parts pricing.
They can do a lot more than that to help the industry.

They can get together and apply some kind of minimum hardware standards and feature support that are standard across all hardware. The fact is it is simply a headache for developers AND gamers to get games running across a variety of different hardware by different manufacturers. There have been some steps to alleviate this with Microsoft making most DX10 features mandatory for graphics cards - but this is not enough.

They can tell the industry to perhaps cool off on the graphics race. If they want to attract gamers to the PC (this will then attract developers), they have to realize that most PC gamers bar a hardcore minority (that is too small to be profitable) aren't willing to upgrade their systems every few months just for game x or y.

They can try to fight piracy and game torrenting. Anyone who thinks that this isn't hurting the PC industry's profitability and driving developers to consoles is - I'm afraid to say - oblivious.

They can also work on the image of the industry. The consoles have tens of millions of dollars in marketing being spent promoting them as gaming machines. There's no equivalent for the PC - instead, we have nVIDIA promoting nVIDIA products, ATI promoting ATI products, Intel promoting Intel products, Microsoft promoting Microsoft products etc. There's very little marketing encouraging PC games and it's not helping PC gaming at all.

Anyway, this "Alliance" is something that should have happened years ago. It's just disappointing that they have only just bothered to do something about this.
__________________
"A lie travels half-way around the world while the truth is still putting on its boots."
-Mark Twain

Last edited by flowForth; 02-13-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Grammar.
flowForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,622
Advertising is definately something they need to do. I dont think piracy is the main reason gaming isnt as big on PC as it could be. After all a recent survey showed the most pirating was done on the ps2, and that hasnt hurt it. Need to remember the pricing stuff for creating and selling PC games are a little different, so it has many factors.

The video card thing, if you're smart and not stupid you can get a video card and be set for the next 2-3 years and have games running perfectly. Instead people go out and buy $70 cards and then have big crying fits when a game created 4 years later doesnt run on their system. I dont want games scaled down to retards like this. They've been doing that for the last 15 years. ITs time to get rid of them. nVidia and ATI make plenty of money from people who buy their mid to high end stuff. Thats mainly the fault of companies like Dell, HP etc, who stuff in cheap video cards with their expensive pcs. Thats what hurting alot of the industry. Dodgy systems being sold for twice their price.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
flowForth
Programmer
 
flowForth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Advertising is definately something they need to do. I dont think piracy is the main reason gaming isnt as big on PC as it could be. After all a recent survey showed the most pirating was done on the ps2, and that hasnt hurt it. Need to remember the pricing stuff for creating and selling PC games are a little different, so it has many factors.
I wouldn't say that piracy is the main factor - but I would say that it is a contributing factor. Remember - consoles generate more money than the PC platform so the greater potential revenue offsets the impact of piracy and still makes the investment seem worthwhile to investors and developers.

Otherwise - I am in agreement with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
The video card thing, if you're smart and not stupid you can get a video card and be set for the next 2-3 years and have games running perfectly. Instead people go out and buy $70 cards and then have big crying fits when a game created 4 years later doesnt run on their system. I dont want games scaled down to retards like this. They've been doing that for the last 15 years. ITs time to get rid of them.
I agree that if you know what you're doing you can future-proof your system for future games. But that's the issue though - they're "newbies" so they're going to make mistakes until they know what they're doing. Apart from slowing down the graphics race - the only other way around this would be to educate the people to avoid the cheap cards. Maybe this "Alliance" can bring out some kind of program that certifies hardware as "gaming worthy" - to perhaps make it easier on the newbies to know the worthwhile hardware from the not worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
nVidia and ATI make plenty of money from people who buy their mid to high end stuff. Thats mainly the fault of companies like Dell, HP etc, who stuff in cheap video cards with their expensive pcs. Thats what hurting alot of the industry. Dodgy systems being sold for twice their price.
I never actually thought of that as impacting PC gaming but - now that you have pointed it out - I am in agreement that something should be done about this. Retailers that sell whole systems are to blame as well - I've seen them flat out lie and call low-end systems with 256MB of RAM and an onboard VGA with 64MB of memory "gaming systems" to secure a quick sale. Now if you know what you are doing you'll realize that they are lying to you - but if you don't, you're likely to get duped. Something should be done about that as well.
__________________
"A lie travels half-way around the world while the truth is still putting on its boots."
-Mark Twain
flowForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
Reality
Sin and Punishment
 
Reality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 14,587
I have no interest in what M$ can offer. If they had their way we'd all be playing on Xbox Live for PC. YUCK. What needs to be done is what flowForth says. There needs to be a single 1 standard for minimum system requirements for maybe a 3-5 years time. Gamers move away from PC cause they are scared of "upgrading every week". And while I love graphics as much as the next guy, even I wish my games ran better and easier.
__________________
Outpostnine is that 1%.
Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:41 AM   #6
Drunken Savior
Registered User
 
Drunken Savior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 19,485
I'd play more PC games if I wasn't afraid of becomming a PC gamer.
__________________

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:07 AM   #7
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!
 
Sinful Sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Five min away from SavedFromSin
Posts: 8,718
"PC Gaming Alliance".... lawl
__________________
Join The-Magicbox Facebook group page!

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:27 AM   #8
Seraph
>:3
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 11,005
Cutting down the cost of a gaming PC would certianly help, when gaming fun is the only concern paying several times the cost of a console is not inviting.

However if we are talking strictly games there are many barriers besides cost that still and probably forever will keep PC gaming from being as big as consoles. These are all valid reasons and none should be written off as weak or nitpicky. (forgive me for this Alucard )

-You cant sell games back. So say I bought a new $50 and hated it, I am then stuck. With console games I could at least trade it in quickly and get most of my money back.

-Your stuck at your desk. I know some of us have nice chairs but rarley do our computer desks rival our living room couches when it comes to comfort.

-The main input is still Keyboard/Mouse. This offers alot of hotkeys yes, but for many genres of games it just stinks. Its also not a very comfortable setup compared to a controller, forcing you to sit upright.

-Most computer monitors and sound systems pale in comparison to their living room counterparts. I would rather play a game on my big screen with booming surround sound than my 19' monitor and $50 PC speakers.

-Simplicity. I'm a computer geek so I can figure problems out, but even so when I'm in the mood to have fun and play the last thing I want to deal with another headache. On a console I plug and play, there are never any problems. On PC I cant tell you how many times I've gone to play a game and something goes wrong. And thats me the computer geek. To a normal person who knows nothing of PC's and just wants to play a game its a nightmare. Not to mention building/upgrading your own machine.

-Game quality will degrade over time. While your brand new PC will be playing awesome looking games today, in 4-5 years it will be struggling to play the latest. You will be forced to turn down settings on the latest games if you want to run them at all. Turning down settings on a PC game never looks pretty and alot of times actually affects gameplay. On a console every game will look and play just as intended.


So cutting the cost down is a great step, but there are many other issues that will keep PC gaming from ever reaching consoles I dont think can be resolved.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:41 AM   #9
Vegetto
Alive
 
Vegetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 9,392
oh man.... *hides*
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:44 AM   #10
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,622
must...breeeeaathe.......
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
memory to zack
Registered User
 
memory to zack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Violence censoring city of Munich
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
-Your stuck at your desk. I know some of us have nice chairs but rarley do our computer desks rival our living room couches when it comes to comfort.
Some people prefer playing at their desk and be near their monitor. It΄s also possible install your PC on your living room as well just like a console. Nowadays all PCs come with an HDMI-port so it΄s easy-breazy to connect it to your HDTV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
-The main input is still Keyboard/Mouse. This offers alot of hotkeys yes, but for many genres of games it just stinks. Its also not a very comfortable setup compared to a controller, forcing you to sit upright.
True, but this applies to consoles for other genres as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
-Simplicity. I'm a computer geek so I can figure problems out, but even so when I'm in the mood to have fun and play the last thing I want to deal with another headache. On a console I plug and play, there are never any problems. On PC I cant tell you how many times I've gone to play a game and something goes wrong. And thats me the computer geek. To a normal person who knows nothing of PC's and just wants to play a game its a nightmare. Not to mention building/upgrading your own machine.
Totally true. The only good thing the pc has is that once a game is installed on your PC, you don΄t need its DVD (if you fully installed the game, that is) to play it, so its very easy to switch games without having to open the dvd-rom disc, take out the disc, put the other and wait till it΄s recognized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
-Game quality will degrade over time. While your brand new PC will be playing awesome looking games today, in 4-5 years it will be struggling to play the latest. You will be forced to turn down settings on the latest games if you want to run them at all. Turning down settings on a PC game never looks pretty and alot of times actually affects gameplay. On a console every game will look and play just as intended.
True. The only thing is that if you keep updating your PC, you΄ll notice slightly better graphics over time. But that applies only to texture and background resolution freaks.
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:45 AM   #12
Alucard
Registered User
 
Alucard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 32,622
I think I'm ok now
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #13
Vegetto
Alive
 
Vegetto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 9,392
*pat pat*
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.