Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #1366
Reality
Sin and Punishment

I concur.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:22 AM   #1367
Paper exe
Pwnd

You lot are blind for not seeing that then.
Honestly now this game looks as close as it could be to the NGC game. Just less colorful and on lower resolution and smaller screen. The game looks great in motion nothing wrong with it. Some of you are just being blind haters to NDS graphics heck some of you actually think that N64 has better graphics than NDS. How blind and forgetful is that!? lol
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #1368
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
Some of you are just being blind haters to NDS graphics
No, you're just being a blind lover.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #1369
Zachalmighty
Future Demon King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
No, you're just being a blind lover.
Love is definitely based on sex appeal, which is based on sight!!! He cant be blind.

Review SMG!! Plz

Or Kid Chameleon for the Sega Genesis.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:19 PM   #1370
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I am currently writing reviews for two different games, one of them being Super Mario Galaxy. It may be awhile before I post them (at least December 1) because I am changing servers and will first have to go back and change the URL for every single picture in this thread. Fun times ahead.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:55 AM   #1371
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
8/10
DS

The box art mimics that of part 2. Yay.

Yet another Phoenix Wright game means yet another purchase for me. This game can be called "Phoenix Wright 3" and was again adapted from a GameBoy Advance game. Nobody cares, though, as the DS version rocks. Phoenix Wright 1 as well as Phoenix Wright 2 were both really cool, and part 3 lives up to and exceeds them. It also introduces the suave Godot who wants nothing more than to see you fail. This is supposedly the final chapter in the Phoenix Wright story arc, and we'll see a new lead character in upcoming "Ace Attorney" games. I'm sure Phoenix will have plenty of cameos, though.

Story: 8/10
The story in this game is awesome. Where the other two games had a lame case each (Steel Samurai in the first game and that circus episode in the second), this one has none. Even though there is one flamboyant case, it is still quite enjoyable. Everything is well written and you'll get to see some of the origins of Phoenix himself as well as his hottie mentor, Mia. Humor is present and I even LOL'd a few times. Since the story is the main anchor of this game, it had damn well better be engrossing. It is.

This guy sure has a tight relationship with his ass.

Graphics: 8/10
The graphics are the same as before with new characters and backgrounds. No 3D polygons in this one, sorry. There is a bit of transparency on some character's clothing. The DS seems to have trouble fading in and out on transparencies, just like the SNES. But it doesn't detract from anything in this game. I'm just looking for something to write about in this paragraph, you see. The artwork in this game is awesome as always with great expressions and other nonsensical stuff like that.

There are a couple of typos in the game.

Sound: 8/10
Again much of the music from the previous games return as well as newly composed stuff. It still sounds like the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine, but that can't be a bad thing. Some of the new music is quite sorrowful and really fits the mood and some "reinterpretations" of past themes don't sound quite as nice as the previous games (the Objection theme comes to mind), though they are all still awesome. Noriyuki Iwadare, composer of Devil's Crush and of course the world famous Steel Empire, is credited for the music in this game. He tends to be a bit more jazzy than the previous composers, but it works very well. I hope they keep him on for the rest of the series, but at the same time I love the previous music guys quite a bit. Hopefully they can collaborate. Godot's theme makes me laugh, especially since it is also his ringtone! It's just so... him!

This, however, is most decidedly NOT a typo!

Gameplay: 8/10
Pretty much the same as the previous two games with some slight tweaks. You can now choose how a witness alters their testimony in some cases. If it isn't working out for you, you can alter it back. The Psyche-locks return, but this time I really didn't get annoyed with them at all. That's probably because I had dealt with them before. Always save before trying to defeat a Psyche-lock. You can still shout "Objection!" and "Hold it!" into the microphone, but that is lame and only losers will bother, especially since you have to hold a button to do it in the first place... I wonder how many people acutally do that. The game moves on at a fairly brisk pace unless you really suck at gaming, but the game isn't short. It has 5 cases as opposed to the previous game's 4, but two of these cases seem a bit too short for me. I wanted there to be more cases. The final case is quite a doozy (yes, a doozy) and can take quite awhile. Since I only ever play the DS in bed before I go to sleep, this game took me a few weeks to finish. I had a great time the whole way through and often stayed up later than I should just to see what happened next.

Ummmm.... yeah. No comment.

Wrap up:
A fantastic sequel to the previous games and a great game in its own right. You don't need to have played through the previous two games to enjoy this, but it is highly recommended that you do. Phoenix Wright owns. The fact that a dude named Armando is in the game makes it a mandatory purchase. I really look forward to seeing what they do with the series next.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 AM   #1372
Nindalf

great review. would read again.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:03 AM   #1373
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I can't understand why people don't like these games. They have everything!

Including the "THIS IS S.P.A.R.T.A.!" comment, which felt a little late.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:13 AM   #1374
Seraph
>:3

Brilliant, I am glad to hear PW3 is good.

How would you compare the music to the first two games? I think the first games soundtrack is downright fantastic and while the second games is good, it just dosent compare to the firsts.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:36 AM   #1375
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The first will always be the best, but part 3's music is better than part 2 in my opinion mainly due to the sorrowful/lonely stuff that's really appropriate in parts. It's certainly no slouch.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:16 AM   #1376
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Didn't the original Rockman composer write Wright's stuff?
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:19 AM   #1377
Paper exe
Pwnd

If that true then that guy is diffidently a genius and still are! <3 <3 <3 <3
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #1378
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Akemi Kimura and some other guy did the music for the first two games I believe.

Noriyuki Iwadare did the music for the third.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #1379
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Super Mario Galaxy
9/10
Nintendo Wii

Super Mario World, then Galaxy... I wonder
what they'll call the next game in the series.

The first Mario game which I ever tolerated much less enjoyed was the USA version of Super Mario Bros 2 (the Japanese version sucks ass and can rot in Hell). I never really paid much attention to Super Mario Bros 3 as it just didn't look as appealing to me as part 2 did. When the SNES came around, I fell in love with Super Mario World. After that I tried to play part 3 again, but it felt like a poor man's Super Mario World. The next Super Mario game that was made was Super Mario 64 (things like "Yoshi's Island" are not proper Super Mario games). Super Mario 64 blew me away with its expansive worlds and fun challenges. The camera pissed me off somewhat, but at the time I really didn't know any better. Then came Super Mario Sunshine for the Gamecube Nintendo. That game was complete ass. I hated it with a passion due to its extreme amount of suckage. I sold it and have never regretted it, though I am still in therapy due to the mental damage that crapfest of a game caused. I would rather play Shove It: The Warehouse Game starring Stevedore than Super Mario Sunshine. Memories of that game are bad because Nintendo failed so hard. I did not have high hopes for Super Mario Galaxy, especially since it was on the Wii and would therefore contain motion-sensing nonsense. Thankfully I expected the worst and got the best!

You need to give these greedy bastards a bunch of star bits before they will help you go to new places and save the universe.
Fortunately star bits are otherwise useless to you other than the fact that you can shoot and stun some enemies with them.

Story: 2/10
A game like this doesn't need much of a story. A game without an overly dramatic story which overshadows the gameplay? Can you handle it? Anyway, Princess Peach has invited you to some kind of 100 year gathering about stars or some lame shit like that. Mario is, of course, the very last one to arrive, that lazy fuck. The castle is suddenly ripped off of the ground by Bowser who plans to kidnap and repeatedly rape Princess Peach. The entire universe is in extreme danger! By sheer coincidence, Mario happens to be sucked away into space as well and wakes up on a strange planet which is about the size of my smallest bathroom. The entire civilization of this world consists of three bunnies. You catch them all in a game of hide and seek, so you are deemed competent enough to save the entire universe. You are sucked away to some floating thingy with a hot chick that lets you access her bedroom, among other places. She knows you only care about finding your special one and plans to help you. I am surprised that she doesn't want to sex you up, being that unless she is shoving lumas up her snatch, she isn't gettin' any.

Bee Mario is probably one of the best Mario "costumes" ever. You can't sting anyone (otherwise you'd die). Maybe in the next
game you'll be able to become Pissed Off Wasp Mario and repeatedly sting enemies to a slow, poisonous and painful death.

Graphics: 9/10
The graphics are really good for the Gamecube Nintendo. They approach and maybe even surpass Xbox quality (the first Xbox, not the 360). Mario almost always appears backlit and this helps things to look cool. The planets themselves often have really cool warping or other effects going on, and the textures look quite nice as well. The game runs at a solid 60 frames per second. There is a giant, fuzzy mole which reminds me of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (or is it Donkey Konga?) with the fur, and I always thought that looked cool. The graphics here do not try to be realistic, and they don't need to be. The artwork and style is all very nice, and if you don't appreciate it then it is likely you don't have functioning eyeballs. There is definitely one thing this game has an abundance of which you don't see very much on the Xbox360 and Playstation 3... COLOR! That's right, actual color. Everything isn't grey and dark like most next-generation games which are usually either melodramatic combat games or games that take place in the future, etc. Regardless, they are largely monotone in their presentations, whereas Super Mario Galaxy is definitely not. The feeling of flight from planet to planet here is awesome thanks to the built-in scaling and rotation. There are lots of jaggies, but it is a small price to pay. This game would benefit from a higher resolution and larger polygon count (to make the curves smoother, etc), but I guess beggars can't be choosers. 16:9 and 480p are supported.

This boss was kind of a bitch for me because it was hard for me to figure out when I was centered over him. He still went down
and died at my skillful hands, though. Like most games these days, the bosses adapt their strategy as you fight them.

Sound: 8/10
The sound effects themselves are average, and some of the voices (namely Mario's) are extremely annoying. When you go to the disc channel in the Wii menu, "SUPER MARIO GALAXY!!!" is shouted in your face at about +12db. There is no way to skip this and you can't press start fast enough. You have absolutely no choice but to press the MUTE button until this has passed, that is unless you really want to get revenge on your ears for some reason. The music in this game is fantastic and quite different than any other Mario game. While a few old tunes do resurface here and there, the new stuff is mostly orchestral instead of the candyland happy happy tunes you usually expect from Mario games. Though the music is awesome during gameplay and truly fits the various worlds, the musical selections aren't exactly super-memorable. You won't find yourself humming these tunes, and I doubt that they'll ever resurface in future Mario games. In other words, the music is awesome, but not classic. The game attempts some Dolby Pro-Logic 2, but it is half-assed as a result of the wimpy nature of Dolby Pro-Logic 2. Almost everyone has 5.1 receivers now, Nintendo. There was no reason not to include that on the Wii, for fuck's sake.

The whole concept of gravity in this game is absolutely fantastic! There are also blue stars that you can grab on to in order to pull
Mario from place to place. It's pretty fun, and the sound that's made when you're doing this reminds me of a sick homeless person.

Gameplay: 9/10
The gameplay took me a bit to get used to as it was initially a tad disorientating. The nunchuck is required, there is no option to use the Gamecube controller. Anyway, the gameplay is very similar to Super Mario 64 where you must collect a crapload of stars by accomplishing different tasks. Some moves return from that game as well and new costumes have been added. You can turn into Bee Mario, which I surprisingly found quite awesome. Then there is Boo Mario, where you turn into Kirby with a mustache. This mode is also fun and you can go through certain walls. You also have Fireball Mario, Ice Mario, Invincible Mario, Flying Mario and lamest of all, Spring Mario. Yes, Spring Mario. The creative department must have been snorting ants off of Eddie Murphy's ass when they thought this one up. I hate it when I have to be Spring Mario. I also find it very hard to control Mario while he is swimming unless he has a turtle shell, especially when I try to turn around. Ug. Flying is a similar story. The camera pissed me off a few times... it likes to zoom out waaay too far on occasion, and on other occasions it situates itself to that Mario is running towards the screen which I always find awkward. Any attempt to adjust the camera is usually futile. It really isn't a huge issue, though.

Luigi constantly gets lost/trapped looking for stars for you. He is not able to get back, yet somehow he is able to send you
a letter and even attach photos of himself. What incompetence! I guess we know why Mario is the favorite son.

This game is great fun with a great many stages to play, however I don't think I want to collect all 120+ stars. Many stars require you to play levels you've already beaten, but only with one hit point or with a time limit or something else super-lame like that. The controls have you use the Wii Remote to point at the screen to gather "star bits". This definitely feels tacked on and really doesn't add anything to the gameplay, but they had to do it do justify the Wii's existence. You must waggle the remote to attack and to other things of the sort. This becomes second nature fairly quickly, but I still don't like waggling. Real controls are better. This game would be better if played on a real controller and the onscreen cursor nonsense removed. Beat the game with 120 stars and you will unlock a new playable character. Overall the difficulty is there, but it is never really frustrating or hard. Some of the later levels may scrape your anus, but overall this game is beaten with a small amount of persistence. That's fine. Games don't need to be 20+ hours on a single playthrough to have value to me.

The graphics are extremely well drawn and represent some crazy cool worlds. Just look at this picture... doesn't it
scream "I am super fun, play me now!" to you? It does to me. You can have your Tom Clancy, I'll take Mario, thank you.

Wrap up:
Super Mario Galaxy is something that seems very rare these days... it's a real videogame. It's not a first person shooter or a murder simulator or any of the "fancy" new genres we're so used to seeing over the past few years. It's an actual videogame where you play to have fun instead of worrying about some lame unfolding plot which is trying to be a movie or annoying tutorials. I imagine that this might be the best game the Wii will ever have. Videogames are truly awesome.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #1380
Seraph
>:3

I loved your conclusion. I don't own Galaxy yet, but have played alot of it at my girlfreinds house.

Its just Fun. Plain and simple. When I play Galaxy I dont feel the need to play super critic, I dont feel like picking apart the experince on a forum, its just plain fun and enjoyable.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote