The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-06-2007, 12:13 AM   #1351
Seraph
>:3

I havent played TP yet, but I really enjoyed WW outside of the triforce hunt. WW would be my favorite Zelda if not for that dumb hunt.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #1352
Joe Redifer
Olι!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph
the whole thing with the chains scare me. Is it that bad, or even a fun improvement?
It can be annoying if you don't have enough evidence yet. When you see that happen, save it and then go try it. If you keep failing, reload and go find the evidence before trying again. If you have the evidence it is kind of fun.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:22 AM   #1353
Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
It can be annoying if you don't have enough evidence yet. When you see that happen, save it and then go try it. If you keep failing, reload and go find the evidence before trying again. If you have the evidence it is kind of fun.
I thought the lock thing was a in-court only event? Is it actually possible to enter court without the game forcing you to find all the evidence you need? Or does this chain thing happen outside of court so you can still walk around?
Old 11-06-2007, 12:24 AM   #1354
Joe Redifer
Olι!

The chain thing only happens outside of court. It's impossible to go to court until the game thinks you have everything. It really is kind of like an interactive novel, but still exceedingly fun.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:32 AM   #1355
Seraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
It really is kind of like an interactive novel, but still exceedingly fun.
Yes, Yes and Thanks
Old 11-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #1356
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee
I have a feeling if you liked Twilight Princess and Wind Waker than PH should be enjoyable.
I think that's the very reason I didn't like PH. I loved those two to death and PH was just a simplified version of those.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:50 PM   #1357
Hikash

Not to harp on this, but most Strategy games aren't the stat fests you imagine. Final Fantasy Tactics, for instance, is more about finding the right combination of abilities, and less about getting a character that has X attack power (though it could be played that way as well).

All I'm saying is that the genre is more than just shinning force and some of these games are pretty good. If you do want to play another, but want to stick to something more like Shining force, then, you really should look at Arc the Lad or Vandal Hearts.

If you're looking for something all together different (and you don't review phoenix wright 3), maybe try Jade Empire, or Knights of the Old Republic (or maybe Mass Effect).
Hikash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #1358
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
I think that's the very reason I didn't like PH. I loved those two to death and PH was just a simplified version of those.
I see.
I am actually scared to ask as to how you can simplify TP... I assume your speaking mechanics wise, ala not as many puzzles etc, since TP is one of the easiest games I have ever seen.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #1359
Paper exe
Pwnd

It is not. The puzzles are a lot harder and more fun. You just brought a valid point Messta and I think it something none of HP haters and TP lovers can answer, sense they loved TP based on fanboyism and hype to begin with. The game is more challenging than TP if the higher verity of enemies and very good boss fights weren’t enough than the new control helps it. In TP you start as a master if you manage to play any of the older 3D Zelda games sense it controlled exactly the same and most of it items are available in these games with the same usage method. Hardly anything new to master and no new enemies even the old once have almost the exact pattern that they had before. I am telling you if you loved TP and hated HP then you are biased in my book. Heck, anyone who complains about something in a game and completely ignores it in the other game even if it has it worst is definitely one and a retard too!
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:43 AM   #1360
Joe Redifer
Olι!

Virtua Fighter 5 Online
8/10
Xbox 360

It's a game box, what can I say?

It's a fact that everyone loves Virtua Fighter games more than all other games. Its also a fact that the Playstation 3 is selling worse than chocolate-coated cat testicles. The Xbox360 is a huge seller since people usually buy 3 or 4 of them due to its incompetent design. So it's only logical that Virtua Fighter 5 would abandon Sony and further take a huge dump on them by offering Xbox 360 players ONLINE PLAY! OMG!!!!! As you know, online is the future of gaming. Everyone who's anyone is all about the 1337 online play. Single player games should be illegal.

You've got 18 characters to choose from now. What kind of sucks is that you are asked to choose
player data before picking your character. This makes choosing a character a bit more cumbersome
as you must go and choose "play without using data" before every match in two player mode.

Story: ?/10
I don't think there really is a story. The manual insists otherwise, but there's nothing in the game that has anything even remotely to do with a story. The characters have no endings at all, it goes straight to credits when you beat it. If you want to know how the story turns out in this game, read the manual when Virtua Fighter 6 comes out. Arcade-style games like this don't really need stories, though ending sequences would be nice.

This game endorses punching women in the face. If you play it, then so do you.

Graphics: 8/10
Virtua Fighter 5 runs natively at 1280x720 (720p), which is even better than the 32X version of the original. It looks pretty bitchin'. Everything seems really, really shiny and that is a bit odd, but otherwise it's all ace. The characters even have reflections in water and shiny floors, which is something that Tecmo seems unable to do with their shitty graphic engines. Maybe someday they'll learn. The textures and all that crap are very good, and the game runs at 60fps without slowing down or dropping frames. Most of the environments look gorgeous. I like the water splashing and the snow flying, etc. What absolutely blows my mind is that there isn't any v-sync tearing at all! This is the Xbox 360 we're talking about. Leave it to the Japanese to do what Western programmers are much too incompetent to do.

Vanessa here opted for the typical "cantaloupe halves under the skin" style of breast implants.

Sound: 7/10
The sounds are pretty much the same as Virtua Fighter 4 with some new phrases added in by the same actors (as far as I can tell). Happily, the music is legions better than part 4. Each stage has a unique theme whereas VF4 was pretty much just generic electric guitar tunes that only promoted boredom. For example Lau's Great Wall stage sounds very reminiscent of something you might hear in Shenmue 2, and Wolf's winter stage reminds me of something that might be in Out Run 2. Of course there are many musical selections that don't remind me of something else, but at least the soundtrack has character. Even the menus and whatnot have pleasant music. Virtua Fighter games haven't had memorable music since part 2, so this is good. There are also some 5.1 surround effects that are kind of cool, but nothing mindblowing.

Shun still rocks. He never holds the bottles when he drinks, but he goes through the motions.

Gameplay: 8/10
This game is quite addictive and fun. The gameplay is far less stiff than part 4. But like that game, this features a "Quest" mode where you earn extra costumes and orbs and other useless crap. There isn't any story in Quest mode, you're just trying to beat other players at an arcade machine in a fantasy world where the only game at every arcade is Virtua Fighter 5. Many players suck, while others are quite good. Keep playing to increase your rank and get cash to buy useless junk. You can participate in tournaments and the like. It's not very in depth, but it is still pretty enjoyable. Two new characters, Eileen and El Blaze, join the roster. Still missing is the fat sumo guy from VF3. If you've played any Virtua Fighter game before, then you pretty much know how this plays (though the jumps from parts 1 and 2 are gone). This one feels more fluid than the past games. I haven't played the online mode because I REFUSE to play for Xbox Live Gold, but I was able to download some cool replays with my Silver account that other people uploaded.

Ryu, errr, I mean Akira here is extremely excited that he won a match.

Wrap up:
The Playstation 3 version is probably exactly the same, minus the online stuff. If you like Virtua Fighter games, it is definitely worth picking up... especially for only $39.99.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 11-10-2007 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:24 AM   #1361
Vegetto
Alive

yeah im highly enjoying it, and yes Shun Di pwns, hes my char, I've mastered some new techniques today with him, I need to get a live account so I can play you guys
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #1362
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Nice Virtua Fighter review... You did seem to go into your Zelda DS review with a lot of bias though. Those graphics are nice and it's not like the DS doesn't have enough 2D games already.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 PM   #1363
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Zelda Phantom Hourglass has good graphics from a technical standpoint, but from me actually looking at it, they suck ass.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #1364
Paper exe
Pwnd

No they don't. They look almost like the NGC one.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #1365
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
No they don't. They look almost like the NGC one.
Absolutely false.