The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-02-2007, 12:54 AM   #1336
NES4EVER
Gibby

Never owned or played Shining Force 3 or the two SF games on PS2. SF 1, 2, CD I loved though. I'd actually like to see your review on the Saturn game to maybe sway me one way or another into perhaps buying it.
PSN ID - GIBBYVA
NES4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #1337
Hikash

Maybe try something else in the genre, like Vandal Hearts, Tactics Ogre, or Final Fantasy Tactics.

Or maybe something totally different, like Neo Contra. The dialog and voice acting in that game is awesome.
Hikash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #1338
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You might see why I'm not too tremendously interested in many other strategy RPG games by reading the first couple of sentences under the "Gameplay" section. I just want to have fun, I don't want to contrast and compare bucketloads of analytical data.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #1339
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

I recommend Front Mission 3 for the Ps1, assuming you enjoy customizing robots as if your playing Armored Core. However, if you dont, forget I said anything.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 PM   #1340
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I could have swore Mistatee posted in my thread. Did he? I forgot.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:25 PM   #1341
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass
5/10
Nintendo DS

I hope that whoever thought up the idea of the hourglass
gets high cholesterol and abdominal gas cramps.

Normally I'm not a fan of Zelda games. They aren't anything special. I did enjoy the SNES version, though. When I saw that this version offered unique DS control, I decided that it might be different enough to be fun. Even though the Wii version also has unique control, I don't like the motion-sensing crap that the Wii does (except for Metroid Prime 3, so far). Plus the game looked boring as all hell. Can the DS Zelda offer some quality time? Kinda.

The ship automatically turns and the camera does not, and
it sucks to turn manually. Oh, you get to jump random
things that just happen to be in your path as well!

Story: 2/10
Sucks. If you are between the ages of 2-5, the story might appeal to you. I think Nintendo might have some sort of Michael Jackson syndrome because they seem to be waaay too infatuated with children (that's what their games and systems are aimed at).

Later on in the game the dead skeletons demand money to talk to you.
WHAT THE HELL IS AN IMMOBILE SKELETON GOING TO DO WITH MONEY????

Graphics: 4/10
The graphics are pretty bad. They most certainly are NOT cell-shaded. They are very ugly, similar to Playstation 1 graphics moving at a slightly higher speed. The DS should try to shy away from 3D graphics. There is no reason for this game to have 3D graphics. It would have looked much better in 2D and lost nothing in the gameplay department (especially considering how little it has to lose). Hell, it would have probably gained in the gameplay aspect simply because in 3D it's hard to see exactly where you are when you must go through poles on an invisible path, etc.

Here's a shot of the top and bottom screen together.
It's hard to lose in this game. Even harder to stay awake.

Sound: 3/10
The music sucks ass. It's very similar every other Zelda game ever made. The dungeon music seems like it consists of only one note over and over and over and over. The sailing/title theme is kind of good, but that's as good as the music gets. The sound effects are nothing special, either. You do get a Japanese bitch saying "Hey!" a lot. I thought the game had some ultra-realistic snoring sounds, but that turned out to be me.

This dumb bitch keeps attacking you while you sail.
Again and again and again. Leave me be, whore!

Gameplay: 5/10
Zelda is NOT an action RPG. Anyone who thinks it is is a fool. It's a puzzle game, nothing more. Your hand is held as you make your way through the game. The dungeons are the puzzles which consist solely of stepping on or otherwise triggering switches to get past obstacles. Sometimes you must carry a shape to a platform to trigger a switch. Wow. The control really isn't too bad, but this game would have worked better with normal human control. My hand often got in the way of the screen and no way in hell was it more comfortable or better than using the d-pad + buttons. The game is as easy as cake. In fact the most challenging this about this game was getting up the ambition to play it. I kept telling myself things like "OK I'm going to play Zelda today, really I am" and then forget about it for a few days. When I did play it, I found myself going back to the same timed dungeon that's at the beginning of the game again and gain ad nauseam. I haven't yet finished the game and am sick of it. Fuck it, it's just too boring. I'd rather start on Phoenix Wright 3. Also, that dungeon relies a lot on stealth. What is this, Metal Gear Solid? Other things about the game that are bad was the sailing which is boring and extremely sllloooooowwww. The game should omit the sailing completely. Fucking Christ! You can draw notes on maps and whatnot and that was kind of cool even if the answers were still easily memorized or obvious. You can find new parts for your ship and customize it. WHAT THE FUCK? What is this, Gran Turismo? I hate the ship parts of the game and the last thing I want to do is play dress up with the thing. Some of the bosses are kind of fun, I'll give it that. There is also some wireless mode that I don't give a rat's ass about.

Oh, NOW the sailing becomes less annoying. Too late
you fucks, you should have done this right at the start.

Wrap up:
If you like fairly easy puzzle games where your hand is always in the way and are under 6 years old, you may like this one. I find it interesting that the Zelda clones (Golvellius, Crusader of Centy/Soliel, Golden Axe Warrior, etc) are always better than real Zelda games.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:10 AM   #1342
Paper exe
Pwnd

You clearly trying to hate it when you played the game. The graphics are the strongest for NDS as of yet and very close to the NGC game windwaker. You just hated the art style not something that would make the game look bad. But knowing you you mostly said what you said for a joke. The sailing are no way slow. You can go through the whole map on the game on few minutes. It only takes few seconds to reach your destination and they are usually close to you. There are shortcuts, which you get very early on the game and just when there start to be areas in different places that needs to be explored. Not only that but the shortcuts put you in places very close to all islands. You are giving people wrong impression of the game with your exaggerated comment about sailing.
About your hand problem, didn't find it a problem with NDS lite style. I can see that problem in the original NDS style though.

Honestly, you complained about some ridicules mean less stuff and make big deals out of it even if some of them hardly exists. You wouldn't enjoy games if you keep doing that. Being negative is lame and going to harm you the most nor would you sound any cooler sense everyone is doing it.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:39 AM   #1343
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Pretty much spot-on review, only I would've given it less, like maybe a 4 or a 3. Any game which leaves me bored with it after only a couple play sessions doesn't deserve a good rating, which is exactly Zelda PH's problem: it's dull. The story isn't intriguing enough to hold my interest, and the gameplay sure as hell isn't either. Like you said, Nintendo wants to hold everybody's hand. Why must there be health items EVERYWHERE, including boss encounters which are supposed to be challenging? Also, it has far and away the shoddiest excuse for a soundtrack in any Zelda, nay, perhaps any Nintendo game ever! How can they release something as enjoyable as Minish Cap, short though that was, and not know how to do it right? Actually, that was developed by the now-defunct Flagship, with Nintendo overseeing the production.

Seriously, Nintendo is selling out to the casual gamers more and more. I only have high hopes for Mario Galaxy. What else is on the horizon? No word of a new Punch-Out!, no Kid Icarus, no new series that really grabs people's attention. Instead, we'll get another thousand psuedo-sports games and offbeat titles featuring Mario and other NPCs in order to make them sell better. The Nintendo of 1985 is long gone.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 AM   #1344
tpfkanep
Gaming since Nov 11, 2006

Quote:
Why must there be health items EVERYWHERE, including boss encounters which are supposed to be challenging?
This sounds just like Twilight Princess.
tpfkanep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #1345
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Shining Force II is a great game so far....I've only been playing about 2 hours. Your review is good and right on so far. Everything has been improved on even if only a little. Thank God they spent more time improving the music. I can hear the same musical instruments as G&G but also some from Castle of Illusion. I'm looking forward to finishing this game in the, hopefully, near future.

Your review of Zelda was good. I enjoyed the game more than you but not by much. I constantly cringed as I had to go back to the hourglass dungeon over and over. Way to repetitive and time consuming. It's a total bore waiting to sneak past the guards. Stunning them with arrows was ok but still boring. It was only worth it when I was able to kill them. I know there are some islands that are out there that I never found but I really didn't feel the desire to find them. I also had problems with my hand covering the screen as I moved in one direction. I could rarely do the roll as I think it was more of a oval action and not a circle. The control over all was fair as there were times I couldn't slash my sword even though I was doing the correct motion. The best thing this game had for it was the boss battles. They were each enjoyable from the 1st to the last. It's strange that I didn't enjoy this game as I really liked Wind Waker. Probably my least favorite Zelda game. Manual controls would have worked better and should have been an option.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 PM   #1346
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicviper
Manual controls would have worked better and should have been an option.
Options are always good!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #1347
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I totally agree with your Zelda review. Play Phoenix Wright 3 next, I'm playing it now.

It's got some surprising moments. The characters in case 3 are just strange.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #1348
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I'm only on case 2 and they're already pretty strange.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:54 PM   #1349
Seraph
>:3

If you enjoy Shining Force, i would reccomend Fire Emblem. Its not crazy on stats and calculation likes other SRPG's are.

I finally tried Phenoix Wright. I really love it even if it is a glorified novel. One of my favorite DS games. I havent gotten the 2nd one yet, but the whole thing with the chains scare me. Is it that bad, or even a fun improvement?

I'm going to pick up PH soon. I more or less know why you, Icarus and Xander didnt enjoy it, but hearing reports from members like Darren and tons of zelda fans who think its great, I think I will.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:03 AM   #1350
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

I have a feeling if you liked Twilight Princess and Wind Waker than PH should be enjoyable.