The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 03-21-2003, 09:51 PM   #121
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

What's so good about this game?

Gradius III - Super Nintendo - Rating 7
We don't get new space shooters anymore aside from the occasional treat every once a year or so. Back in 1991, Konami ported their classic arcade shooter to SNES almost pixel-perfect (but with some interesting changes). It was quite a treat for shooting game enthusiasts, featuring lush 16-bit outer space dwellings and scenery impossible to replicate at home until the SNES was released.
It's not without its problems; namely, slowdown. Sometimes it's useful, like when there's a tremendous amount of enemy fire on-screen and so it makes it easier to negotiate through. Still, in some parts it's rather aggravating. Thankfully, the positives far outweigh the negatives. This is a great shooting experience with tons of enemies, weapons and, of course, bosses (of which there are numerous). It should be noted that while Gradius III is an arcade port it's not without its changes. (to read up on Gradius arcade-to-home conversions, please read this enlightening website http://www.classicgaming.com/gradius/gradport.html).
The basic heart of quality in shooters lies in the delicate balance of control and challenge, a seemingly elegant composition of truly awesome stage layouts, enemies, bosses, and the difficulties each stage address. For the most part Gradius III gracefully passes, but some areas are out of control with difficulty (try stage 7 on hard and see if you agree with me. That is, if you can in fact make it to there ;)). The Vic Viper, your $100,000,000,000,000,000 space ship ( no kidding) is quite the weapon of destruction. You begin each stage by selecting from various weapon types. Once in the stage, you must collect power-ups which will light up the equip boxes on the bottom of the screen. In order: there's speed, missle, double, laser, option, ? and !. When what you want is lit up simply press the equip button. From there it's up to you to make your way through the stages. Put the game on hard for a woefully challenging experience (and to get the best ending). I hope you're good like me. If not, here's a tricks section for you to utilize ~ http://www.megagames.com/megacheats/G/snes-165.shtml Who loves you?
And what would this review be without mentioning the soundtrack? Gradius III has one of the most interesting soundtracks ever for a shooter. Great compositions throughout, with some of my favorites belonging to stages 3, 7, and the final level. The sounds are crystal clear and it's astounding in general what Konami can do with just 8-MEGS (check Super Castlevania IV). No other shooter has a soundtrack as blissful as Axelay, but that's another story.
What is there left to be said? You owe yourself all the pain and the pleasure that Gradius III encompasses. It will test your shooting skills to the fullest and keep you interested from start to end. You can get it rather cheap nowadays (say, $5?) so go pick up a copy. If you already own it, more power to ya!

Here's an awesome site you all should check out which covers an assortment of classic 2D games and has interesting articles, oddities, etc. ~ http://www.geocities.com/opcfg/main.html I know you'll enjoy it.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 05-07-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 06:19 PM   #122
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

It's all about Capcom...

Dungeons & Dragons Collection - Sega Saturn (import) - Rating 6
This is, without a doubt, one great game collection to get if you're into importing Saturn software from Japan. These games are medieval/fantasy beat-'em-up titles similar to Golden Axe. You get two CDs: D&D ~ Tower of Doom, and D&D ~ Shadow over Mystara.... And you get zero difficulty due to infinite continues in both games.
Imagine Golden Axe mixed with RPG elements and much better characters, enemies and stages and you'd have D&D Collection. The first title, Tower of Doom, came out before Shadow over Mystara in the arcades. They both are very similar, though SoM looks quite a bit better. These are your standard romps through medieval times; hack, slash, and use magic on all the skeletons, dragons, chimeras, etc. Anything that gets in your way, destroy. Pretty simple. You select from a fighter, cleric, dwarf and an elf in ToD, and in SoM there's two more characters added: a magic user and a thief. What really seperates these games from other similar titles are the multiple routes. However, you soon learn why -- the stage areas are short. I figure that Capcom didn't want people getting too dragged down with fighting the same few enemy types over and over again through 10 minute long stages, so they opted to break stages up into smaller fractions and add a generous variety to enemy types. The bosses are often large and very well designed, such as an ogre, dragons, daemons, sea serpents, and, get this, an owl bear. Nice! You gain levels, items, magic, amulets, potions, and weapons throughout the game. These are obtained often by destroying treasure chests and buying from the shopkeeper. The control is superb, but then what did you expect from Capcom? Then again, there's not a whole lot to do--move, jump, slide, attack, use magic, etc. I don't mind this style of control, though I'd prefer it if the games made me think more about preparing for battle. You see, both games have infinite continues. Which brings me to this question: what's the point in having various difficulty settings? Do not the infinite continues defeat the purpose of the difficulty settings? It's not like a Street Fighter conversion in that sense because if you lose in SF you have to start the match all over again and actually earn the victory. I would've preferred to have Capcom force the player to restart the stage, even if there are infinite continues, because then and only then would I feel I'm earning my way through the games.
The graphics are pretty good in ToD and great in SoM since the latter title was released later. The graphical differences are as such: SoM has slightly bigger, more well-animated characters and foes, and there are more backgrounds as well. Neither approach Capcom's CPS3 graphical wizardry as displayed in Warzard (another D&D title). One thing I really liked was the Capcom artwork of the characters during the short breaks between stages in SoM because they resemble the quality of the Nightwarriors character win shots. Very nice stuff.
The music is good but nothing special. Come on Capcom! Ghouls 'N Ghosts has a better soundtrack than both of these titles (certainly as far as composition and enjoyability is concerned). Sounds are arcade-quality as they should be.
Ever played King of Dragons and/or Knights of the Round (arcade or SNES versions)? D&D Collection is the perfect compliment for those two games. However, if you really want this collection, know that the treks, while sweet, are short-lived. And you may be better off saving your money for something with more meat on its bones (e.g. the Capcom Generations Volume 2 disc with both G&G arcade titles and the SNES installment on one disc -- HOW CAN YOU GO WRONG?!?). D&D Collection is a good addition to your game library, but only Capcom diehards need apply here.

Here's the same review on OPCFG, which also has screenshots from this game ~ http://www.geocities.com/opcfg3/dndssreview.html

Last edited by Icarus4578; 10-10-2004 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:18 PM   #123
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Engaging

The Legend of Zelda ~ The Wind Waker - GameCube - Rating 8
Miyamoto's latest effort is a remarkable game that grabs you and simply will not let go until you've completed virtually everything. Yeah, we've all been in this terrain before with titles such as Super Mario World, Zelda ~ A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, and much more. It is quite an ability, to stir one's imagination and keep it compelled through 20+ hours. And sure, certain movies contain a similar magic, such as the method of beauty that Miyazaki films tend to display. But they don't last no 20+ hours. More like 2 hours. In full consideration of the fact, let me say that comparing Miyamoto to Miyazaki isn't so far fetched as you might believe; both entertain people--of all ages--and both represent some of the best quality in their field of work. One just happens to have more agility at his immediate disposal.
Actually, that's saying too much. Miyamoto wasn't as involved in the development of this Zelda as in previous installments, and both Miyazaki and Miyamoto are certainly not the only ones responsible for the things they are involved with, of course.
Zelda games need no description. The standard in action/adventure gaming has returned for the tenth time (not including the disgraceful versions on Phillips CD-i and such) and it stands on its own as being one of the best games created during this era of gaming. You will surely be locked in its device of attraction. There's the beautiful cel-shading in full effect so as to make the latest Zelda look akin to a cartoon. At present, Link's newest quest is his most visually impressive yet. From sailing the oceans, to venturing through the rather accomplished Windfall Island, and, of course, all the dungeons, labyrinths, ocean scenery, and characters wihich illuminate the world.
As far as the world structure is concerend, the game is one huge ocean with a focal location in each square area of the map, of which there are 49 total. You are able to see places from afar; for example, if you are two blocks away from the Forsaken Fortress you can still locate it easily. And if you get within a certain distance from its summit you can even use your telescope to zoom in and check out what is occurring, for example. Time moves from day to night while sailing on the ocean, and it will stop as soon as you reach a location. Also, the weather tends to change with rapidity. It can be a peaceful ride with the haze fawning over the dawning day, and then, without much of a warning, a storm aggravates the sea. The negative is that early on in the game it takes a rather long time to go from one place to another (usually several blocks away). The positive is that later into the quest you can gain the ability to warp around the world map, which makes transversing the seas much less time-consuming. Whether or not you like this new world structure, it does have its charm to it. I would've preferred that there was more land and less water, but that's just the way it is. The inhabitants of this world are interesting and often times quite funny. Each person has character, and they're not just a stand-in character like in RPGs where you'll enter a town and see people, and then see the same people in a different town all standing around doing the same exact thing (usually standing around, doing nothing). The people in this world have purpose and are interesting. Some are amusing like Salvatore who runs a squid-hunting minigame. Others are more homely/sad like Link's grandmother, and some are just plain weird (Tingle and Tott come to mind...). Some of the things people say are amusing and/or suggestive; Sturgen quote ~ "Yes, there was a time when I used to like playing with fairies... Uh...ahem!" The cel-shaded look helps to make their personalities all the more convincing, and the animation is excellent on everything and everybody, even if it's only 30 FPS. The landscapes are nice but many lack the personality of those found in other Zelda titles. Also, the labyrinths, although impressive enough, are too few and far between. However, they are rather large and quite impressive. Also, most of the bosses, while not difficult, are impressive as well. The game controls like either N64 Zelda with some slight changes here and there but, even if you haven't played the N64 installments, this Zelda is pretty light on challenge (though parts like the Wind Temple can be frustrating to say the least).
The music is a mixed bag, with some songs being very good, and others being an insult to the GC and the Zelda series altogether. Also, there are a lot of songs recycled from Ocarina of Time which makes me think of the word 'lazy'. Some of the enjoyable pieces are the sailing themes (particularly the storm-riddled world version) and a few others. The main sailing theme is a re-arranged, extended version of the Zelda theme, and it's done to great effect. I was disappointed by many of the labyrinth/temple themes, which are very weak. Even Zelda ~ Link's Awakening for GameBoy has great labyrinth songs, so why not here? :???: Koji Kondo has had better days.
No matter what anybody says, this new Zelda is more than worthy of its namesake. It may be a departure of sorts, but it's an effective departure. There's more depth, intrigue and sheer enjoyability in this Zelda than in any PS2 or X-Box game yet, and that's saying a lot.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 05-07-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:58 PM   #124
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Painful

Irem Arcade Classics - Sega Saturn (import)/Playstation (import)
Rating - 3
It's a shame, really. Irem could've put together quite a nostalgic, quality package filled with their rich history of arcade games, including Lode Runner, Meikyuu Shima (otherwise known as Kickle Cubicle for NES), Atomic Boy, Battle Chopper, Ninja Spirit, and many more. Instead, they opted to go with two rather awful titles (10 Yard Fight and Zippy Race) and one decent arcade (Spartan X ~ aka Kung Fu Master). What a shame.
The game set-up is rather nice. You start by selecting which arcade you want to play. From there you 'insert coins' by hitting the appropriate button and from there you can set up each individual game with options. You can even choose between original and arranged soundtracks for every title. After that, things go downhill.... fast.
Let's begin with 10 Yard Fight, one of the worst football games ever made. If you're looking for Hail Mary's, calling audibles, hell, even time-outs, well.... you're in the wrong place. But if you're looking for super slow gameplay, horrendous control, no fun, and the worst graphics and sound, then boy... are YOU in for a treat! Here's how it works - you're a nameless high school team with players that have no intelligence and can't run for their lives. You've got a clock of 60 seconds (playtime) and if you cannot make a touchdown within a short period of time, game over. If you get a first down, the clock will add a few seconds. You don't get to choose plays; everything is pre-set. You can pass but if you get intercepted your team gets pushed back 20 yards. :???: Ok.... If you do get a touchdown, the computer kicks off to you again and this time there's less time to get a touchdown. Pretty exciting stuff.
I guess I'll sum up my experience with 10 Yard Fight with the only appropriate word.
"Huh?"
Now, onward to Zippy Race. In the options screen you can choose to continue right where you lost, so turn that on. And don't worry - you'll only be playing it once so may as well make the best of things. You're on a motorcycle on a top-down view and you're mission is to try and score first place before you reach New York (there are 5 stages). You have no time limit per se, but you have a fuel gauge which depletes as you race. After you've progressed far enough in any particular stage, the screen switches from top-down view to a standard first-person view done so poorly it hurts. All they did was draw a street and animated lines coming down into the screen, and the screen never moves. While I suppose at the time this was nothing short of mind-blowing, looking at it now is a complete joke. Not only that, even though it's 5 stages, after the first two they just repeat the exact same courses. I'll save you the time with this ending spoiler: all it says is "Viva! NY" and then the game starts over. Wow.....
Spartan X is the only reason why I bought this compilation, and even this is a letdown of sorts. Sure, I love Kung Fu on NES (as my review clearly states) and I enjoy this arcade conversion. But in the end it just isn't worth it. Ok, maybe if this compilation costed $3-5 dollars or so it would be worth the money, but not $20-30. No way baby. Here's the deal with Spartan X - move forward and beat everybody (and everything) up with punches, kicks, sweeps, jump kicks, etc. and avoid getting hurt. That said, for some reason this conversion controls worse than the NES version and is rather unfair. For example, you can no longer jump kick diagonally at will--you have to walk forward for about a second or so before you can execute the move. Why is that? I don't know. Where this gets aggravating is in seriously unfair predicaments like at the beginning of stage 2 when all the jars are falling from the ceiling. You'll see a snake coming and so (naturally) you'll jump over it and right as you're in the air another jar comes down and cracks you right in the head, depleting half of your life! Stuff like that really pisses me off to no end. Sure, the characters are bigger in this conversion than the NES, but the NES version controls far better. Here's the plot ~ Thomas, a 'Kangfu expert', must rescue his girlfriend Sylvia from Mr X. Sure would be nice if Irem knew how to spell 'kung fu'.
If there's one thing Irem does know how to spell, it has to be 'rip-off' because at $20-30 that's precisely what this compilation is.

Here are some screenshots from OPCFG along with (you guessed it) my review ~ http://www.geocities.com/opcfg3/iacreview.html

Last edited by Icarus4578; 10-10-2004 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:27 AM   #125
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Icarus, have you played Bio-Hazard on the Genesis? It just wicked, intense gameplay, dynamic techno bass sound track. I would love it if they port it to a next gen system in a greatest hit pack similar to Sonic Collection. Anyway, if you have played it, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:23 AM   #126
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I've never played BioHazard Battle, but i'll play it and review it. Soon, i'll have up reviews for Xenosaga and Guilty Gear XX, and of course more classics.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:55 AM   #127
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Icarus, You forgot to mention the insanly long loading times for D&D collection. The longest load time for a game that I can remember. Atleast you can watch a fairy on screen that picks her nose and flicks the boogers. Just plain horrible. But the game(s) are kick ass other than that.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 12:26 PM   #128
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Sorry, but with all the PC Engine/TurboDuo/Sega CD games I played around that period of time I certainly didn't pay too much attention to the load time. After all, I am more than used to it and besides, I judge games on their content, not their loading screens.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:20 AM   #129
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Guilty as charged

Guilty Gear X2 - Playstation 2 - Rating 7
When I think of great 2D fighters I think of Capcom and SNK. It's unusual to see another company come storming out of nowhere with a 2D fighter with higher resolution, more detail, some of the best animation seen in a game, and a strong fighting engine. But Arc System Works has done just that. Arc System Works? Huh? These days we're overloaded with piles of 3D fighters that are doing nothing for the genre, and there hasn't been a good 2D fighter seen in quite a long while.
Well, now there's reason to celebrate. GGX2, the sequel to the highly acclaimed original, is here in full force, thanks to Sammy Studios. It's quite a beauty, with sharp graphics running at 640 x 480 pixels and progressive scan capability. Quite an accomplishment. Once you see the results you'll want all future 2D games to do the same. In 2000, the original Guilty Gear X took the Japanese arcade community by storm with its hyper stylish graphics and gameplay. The characters were some of the funkiest ever seen in a fighter and were interesting to watch in action. That's not to say that GG bears no similarities to other games, particularly the Atlus effort Groove On Fight (Power Instinct) for Sega Saturn, Capcom's Darkstalkers series, and SNK's Samurai Spirits (Shodown). GGX2 takes the original and improves on it with more characters, better control, improved animation, and lots of extras.
There are 20 characters to select from and they're quite diverse. The entire cast from the first GG returns. Sol-Badguy and Ky-Kiske are this game's Ryu and Ken respectively (and both wield blades) and the others return (bosses like Dizzy playable, and Zato-1 renamed Eddie). Four new characters are added including Bridget, Zappa, Slayer, and the new playable boss I-NO.
As most anybody could plainly tell, a lot of the character names come from famous rock acts like Eddie (Van Halen), Slayer, (Frank) Zappa, Axl (Rose) Low, Testament, etc. Also, there's plenty of references to horror films such as The Ring (Zappa's 'destroy' move) and others. There's a lot to enjoy besides just the great visuals and gameplay. As I said, there are plenty of extras including a gallery section where you can earn and view various videos and drawings, including all the ending artwork in every mode. There's Arcade, M.O.M. (where you fight to earn medals), vs 2P, vs CPU, Survival, Mission (the most challengine mission mode you could ever come across), Story, and Training modes. You'll certainly have more than enough to keep yourself occupied for a long time.
The control is excellent but is riddled with a little too much excess if you ask me. You've got your double jump (triple if you're Chipp Zanuff), air-dash, high jump, recovery, combos and throws. Ok. But then you've also got dead angle counters, dust attacks, overdrive attacks, psych burst, faultless defense, instant kills (unless you're a certain character like Dizzy), jump cancels and roman cancels (phew). You've also got two meters to keep track of: tension and burst gauges. Sometimes, when all hell is breaking loose on the television I just can't help but think they've overdone it. The fighting gets a little too flashy at times, with 30-90 hit combos that make the screen look like it's going to explode. This does for fighters what Yuen Woo Ping does for movies; lots of flash and little substance. While there is a respectable amount of depth and fun to be found, you find that most everybody plays too similar with Ryu/Ken/Guile move commands, and once you memorize certain combos it becomes a button jam fest.
The graphics and animation are first rate but characters still share backgrounds like they did in GGX. Some backgrounds are nice but most of them are taken from part 1. I noticed the Anji Mito/Baiken background, where spirits are walking across a bridge, is clearly influenced by Spirited Away. I also noticed several other things, like the fact that Dizzy's attacks all look like Donovan Baine's special moves and that Faust looks like a ripoff of the Atlus fiend Joker from Persona 2 (they both wear a paper bag over their heads). The animation is impressive but not quite up to Street Fighter 3. In comparison to the original, GGX2 doesn't seem like a sequel so much as it does a 'champion edition' a-la Street Fighter because they really haven't added too much to the game.
The music is a mixed bag featuring rock songs that really do fit with the game's visual representation, but most of the music just dwindles because it's unimpressable and there aren't any memorable pieces (aside from one or two). The sounds are perfect and the voices are all nicely done. As a matter of fact, in story mode the characters have conversations before and after every match, and they kept the Japanese voice acting in and just added subtitles which was smart, especially seeing as they hired some famous voice actors in Japan to do the parts.
GGX2 is a great game with a few flaws here and there, but is well worth the invested time and effort. If you're dying for a good 2D fighting game, well, you really don't have much of a choice seeing as companies like Capcom don't seem to be releasing any as of late. GGX2 is pretty cheap at about $40 so it's worth the investment in my opinion. Arc System Works is a company worth supporting if only to see what they do next.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 10-10-2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:30 AM   #130
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Quote:
Originally posted by Icarus4578
Sorry, but with all the PC Engine/TurboDuo/Sega CD games I played around that period of time I certainly didn't pay too much attention to the load time. After all, I am more than used to it and besides, I judge games on their content, not their loading screens.
Oops! I forgot to put this around my statement.

[joke]Icarus, You forgot to mention the insanly long loading times for D&D collection. The longest load time for a game that I can remember. Atleast you can watch a fairy on screen that picks her nose and flicks the boogers. Just plain horrible. But the game(s) are kick ass other than that.[/joke]
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 09:54 AM   #131
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Aim for the dump

Xenosaga ~ Der Wille zur Macht - Playstation 2 - Rating 1
I finished Namco's Xenosaga, and I think it sucks. I watched it about as much as I played it (a 40+ hour trek ...Star Trek rip-off that is, as well as Star Wars and a few other things). For those of you who have played Squaresoft's Xenogears you already know that Xenosaga is supposed to take place before Xenogears. Both games play and--to an extent--look similar, with much emphasis on sci-fi/religion, and mech (A.G.W.S.) battling. So does Xenosaga live up to the standard Xenogears set before it?
In a word, no. Let's begin with the characters. Shion is the lead female protagonist, and KOS-MOS is hers and Vector Industries' creation; a female android with very apparent combat skills. She was created to destroy the Gnosis (supposedly), and you find out much more about her as the game/movie progresses. There's also Ziggy, MOMO, chaos, and Jr. who come into the equation within the first 8-10 hour framework of the game (basically the first quarter). Also, there is an assortment of other faces/names you'll be seeing and hearing about all throughout the game. Problem is, there's TOO MANY. To help you cope with the ridiculous amount of names, terms, and characters there's a special feature you can pull up that explains what this or that means. Shion is kinda annoying in my opinion; her sympathetic attitude towards androids "They have feelings just like everybody else!" drove me up the wall, but some may take a liking to her bubbly, geeky with a hint of attitude personality. What really got on my nerves though was Allen. Boy is he annoying. All of his failed attempts to tell Shion how he feels about her are not executed to even mildly amusing effect because there was no backbone on his character to make me feel interested in the least. With Xenosaga we're given a phony sugar-coated attempt at love that falls flat on its face. Anyway, Xenosaga is filled with enough plot twists and betrayl to keep you interested, if you're interested in the characters to begin with. The character models all look great for the PS2 but they usually have a funny look and movement to them that somehow reminds me of the mortifying cast and crew of the old TV show Thunderbirds (oh boy....). Something that I truly didn't like was the layout of the Subcommittee on Close Encounters meeting room which is obviously stolen from Star Wars ~ Episode 1 (which I'll have you know right now I could care less about).
Enough about the characters/story. How about the game? Yes, how about the game? Seriously, you'll be playing for 5 minutes and all of a sudden here's this 20 minute cinema out of nowhere. The battles play similar to Xenogears (when you're actually playing it) in that you can perform combos and such, but Xenogears had better gameplay due to a more varied mix of Tekken-ish button combos and more interesting characters/moves. You can choose to perform a two-hit combo or store up for a three in Xenosaga, but in Xenogears you could do much bigger combos at will. As for the A.G.W.S. (pronounced 'eggs' by the characters) mech battles, not everybody can use them, but they are capable of different combos depending on what weapons you've equipped on them. You can equip your 'eggs' with shoulder missles, submachine guns, beam arms, etc. and you can find hidden weapons throughout the game. About midway into the game I was pleased to find a lot more emphasis on exploring/battling, but even here the game falls short because there's not much to explore and much of what's hidden requires you to backtrack using the EVS (Environmental Simulator) plug-in module at any U.M.N. save point. Instead of exploring new, different areas to get special hidden things, much of it has to be found by backtracking through areas you've already been through. Another problem is the fact that you have to keep pulling up the damn menu screen to keep building your characters' skills, attributes, etc. Why didn't Namco make that all come with leveling up?? So now, instead of the game doing it like it would in most every other RPG I have to do it for each and every individual character... Now I'm going to be straight with you. I'm generally a busy person, and besides the tremendous amount of time I've had to hold in peeing to sit through some boring "You don't mean..." "Yes, the prototype 100-Series Observational Realian." cinemas that rear their ugly head every 10 minutes, I don't want to waste even more time not playing the game by having to sit through tedious, boring stat-building!
The graphics are some of the best 3D you've seen coming out of your PS2, and they'd better be seeing as you're going to be watching it quite often. I personally don't care too much for sci-fi, 'futuristic' Star Trek-ish space ships and that sort of thing. If you do you're in for a treat. You'll be impressed by the space battling that takes place throughout the game (which is FMV mixed in cleverly so as to make it look like the PS2 is actually performing the graphics ;)). The cut-scenes steal the show graphically. Battling and exploring look ok but not quite as good. The enemy count is low (about 100 total) so that should tell you how little variety they thought about giving us battle-wise.
The music is by Yatsunori Mitsuda of Chrono Trigger/Xenogears fame. This is his weakest effort yet with only a select few pieces here and there being of any merit and the rest just sort of being there. It sounds like a typical sci-fi action movie soundtrack to my ears. Uninspired material. The annoying bossa nova-wannabe stuff that plays during certain parts of the game (to try and make it like an anime perhaps) just makes the whole experience feel too goofy. The sound effects are done pretty well. Then again, with a PS2 they'd better be done well.
If you're looking for something interesting in RPG land you (like myself) will be disappointed. There's too much time spent watching the game, causing me to wonder if I paid $50 for a game or something else. I hope all of those "It's gotta have plot" babies out there are satisfied with Xenogears for the remainder of the decade; long enough that game developers can focus on making real games. You know, one of those things you actually control and not something you watch. That's what movies/shows/books are for.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 08-03-2004 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:36 PM   #132
Twelve
Sky is gone; 12 is HERE!

OUCH....

This review has taken a bit of my enthusiasm away from wanting dearly to import this game... hmmm....

Old 04-10-2003, 07:23 PM   #133
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Painful but pleasing?

Divine Sealing - Mega Drive - Rating 0
Yup, you read that review rating number correctly. Zero. Zip. Nothing. That's exactly what Divine Sealing deserves. You think you've played bad shooters? Heh. You ever play a little import Playstation hemmorhoid that goes by the title Two-Ten Kaku? That's bad. Is there anything worse than Two-Ten Kaku? I'd wager Divine Sealing takes the cake, but there may be a few here and there flaoting around too painful to recall.
Divine Sealing is a shooter/hentai (pervert) game. No, the fact that it displays nude girls doesn't take away from my rating. But in this case, the shooting is so bad, the stages so ultra boring, and the bosses, music, and control so pathetic, well... I'm at a loss. Ever been walking down a street and somebody threw a rock at you? That's what playing Divine Sealing is like. No... it's actually worse than that.
What can I say good about Divine Sealing? There's five stages of stunningly awful shooting to keep you glued to the tube. No... that doesn't work out well... Wait... Maybe it's the jaw-droppingly horrible soundtrack that will make your stereo attack you. Err... The graphics aren't so bad for a shooter... No, that's lying. I shouldn't lie. What does Divine Sealing have? Nude girls that strip full screen after you successfully complete any stage. They cycle through four/five full-screen stills of each girl talking to you in Japanese (using text) and then it's on to the next stage. For those of you who want a level skip code to go straight to the pics, here you go (I guess): During the game, to skip a stage, pause the game, and then keep pressing down+A+B+C until the stage ends. Repeat each stage.
Have you ever had to sit through the movie Beaches in its entirety? A traumatic experience to say the least. Add Divine Sealing to that list. It is surely the worst shooting game available on Genesis/Mega Drive.
The things I tolerate for you people....

Take a look (no nudity shown here) ~ http://www.vgmuseum.com/pics2/divine.html
Here's the original source of the shots, which lists tons of Genesis/Mega Drive games you can view ~ http://www.vgmuseum.com/test98.html
And here's my review as it appears on OPCFG, albeit slightly different. Includes screenshots ~ http://www.geocities.com/opcfg3/dsreview.html

Last edited by Icarus4578; 08-03-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:16 AM   #134
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I must apologize Ikaruga as I cannot secure a copy of BioHazard Battle. That's alright though. Why don't you post a review for the game in my place?

Of course, I'll be back with more review-goodness.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 08-03-2004 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-14-2003, 02:54 PM   #135
Kojiro Hyuga
Employed Slave

Quote:
Originally posted by Icarus4578
Time for another review! This time for the classic NES

Kung Fu - NES - 6

Tatarara, tarara, tarararararara, tarara, tarara

Now that was a great song... Oh, I miss rescuing Sylvia (endlessly:big smile )