Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 09-12-2007, 02:54 AM   #1291
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
8/10
Nintendo Wii

Yes, a good Wii game!

With not much quality software currently available for Nintendo's next generation Wii® game console, I was surprised when something I actually kind of wanted to play was released. I took a chance on this game since I enjoyed the Metroid game for Nintendo's "DS" portable system. I enjoyed the new style of control in that game which the touch screen allowed and that in turn allowed me to bask in the fine experience of the game itself. Personally, I detest the FPS genre. It can go to hell. I'm not sure what so many people see in it. I wish it would die. If you like FPS games, then I hope you die someday, that'll teach you. Where was I? Oh yeah, I bought this game because it offered a new way to control it... I took a big chance and I came out ahead. So let's look at the game, shall we?

Ripping things off with the grapple beam using the nunchuck is pretty damned awesome.

Story: ?/10
I'm not really sure what Metroid Prime 3 is about. Like every other game these days, it tries to draw you in with an insipid story that nobody cares about except for people with no lives. This game doesn't rely much on story other than to give you something new to do just when you finished cleaning up the previous mess. The story is about aliens who do stuff and suddenly there is all of this Prozac and you become infected with it and you have to destroy the Prozac or some crazy shit like that, I dunno. Whoever wrote the story probably doesn't have a creative bone in their body, but they don't need one. It's Metroid! Anyway, I have no clue how this game ties in to the previous Gamecube Metroid Prime games. There is a Dark Samus and I have no idea what all of that nonsense is about. Amazingly, I didn't care.

Jaggies! Jaggies everywhere! High definition is just a fad, Nintendo knows what we want!

Graphics: 8/10
This game wasn't built from the ground up for the next generation Wii powerhouse. The developers stated somewhere that they were well into programming the game before they learned what the Wii Remote even was, so it shouldn't surprise you that this game has graphics similar to the Gamecube versions. But Nintendo (surprisingly) had developer Retro add the 16:9 aspect ratio for people with such TVs. Though Nintendo is slowly getting better in this regard, unfortunately all of the bitmapped (non-polygon) graphics are stretched in this mode, and that includes your HUD, where the center circle becomes an oval. I guess they still are pretty damn lazy. Overall the quality of the graphics doesn't piss me off at all, except for the extreme amount of jaggies. Good lighting effects occur when special stuff happens and lots of crap like that. I didn't really see any clipping and everything looks and feels solid. If I were the graphics supervisor I'd have made them fix that 16:9 issue, and if they didn't everyone would be fired and I'd rule all of Nintendo. Then I'd give all of the company's money to Sega so they could get rid of Sammy and release a new Sega console shaped like my smiling face. Then I'd sell Nintendo to Sega and make games only for Sega's new system, which would be called the "Sega Ass Kicker". It could happen!

You ride along "ziplines" during the game which is a mode of public transportation in Skytown.
Of course there are creatures who only attack when you are riding it.

Sound: 5/10
This game barely supports stereo, so don't expect any fancy surround effects here. Nintendo of Japan assigned their worst accounting interns to do the music for this game, and the result is exactly what you'd expect from an accounting intern forced to do music. There's lots of crappy synth-choir here with next to no discernible melodies. It's ambient, but extremely boring ambiance. It's the type of music that reminds you of waiting by your window for the cable repair man. Only the Skytown theme is acceptable, and I actually kind of like it! Very fitting. The sound effects are good and pretty much what you'd expect from this type of game with lots of cool sci-fi bleeps and zaps. The voice acting is alright and I can't really think of much to say about it other than Samus never talks. I guess that makes her the dream woman. I did enjoy the aural experience when fighting Rundar or Rangar or whatever that particular boss' name is (all of the names in the game are unmemorable). He lets out a cool vocal noise when he is stunned, and the music actually has melody. Overall there is no reason to mute your sound system, but certainly no reason to crank it up, either.

This is Ghor, one of the few bosses I didn't like. I'd still rather fight him than play Bioshock, though.

Gameplay: 8/10
As I said in the first paragraph, I hate FPS games. But with the control scheme that Metroid Prime 3 has, it is actually fun. Metroid Prime isn't really a true FPS game as you do more than wander around, shoot things and try to survive. For one you can shoot as fast as you can press the button, and there is no reloading nonsense to bog down gameplay. Reloading is for losers. Also, you scan shit. A lot of shit. At first I didn't think scanning was all that necessary, but it can really help. For example after you scan something that, say, you can grapple, a grapple icon will appear when you are able to do so. This can be extremely helpful in certain boss fights. Speaking of boss battles, almost all of them have a jumping attack where you have to jump over the resulting wave as they land. What's up with that? Many bosses have no apparent weak point until you wear it down by attacking other parts of the boss, and then it loses power pretty slowly. This was before I started scanning bosses and I was very annoyed with the long boss battles. I ABHOR long boss battles! Anyone who likes super long boss battles deserves face herpes. It sucks to die right before defeating them and have to do it all over. However, I found that once you knew exactly what to do, the boss battles go pretty quickly and are really fun. I'd love to see a "boss rush" mode added to the extras of this game. Since it is a Metroid game, there are various puzzles that you must solve to advance to a new location, etc. At first I tended to over think these puzzles, but the answers were really simple in reality. Advancing throughout the game nets you tons of new upgrades which you conveniently need to access the next area. I didn't care much for the charge ball, but all of the other upgrades were pretty cool. You can earn Xbox360 achievements by scanning certain things, defeating bosses or whatnot. These achievements are then used like money where you can unlock some truly awesome goodies, like the ability to listen to the title screen music without needing to be at the title screen. WOW!

Ah yes, the amusingly named "Screw Attack" suit upgrade. This is the only time that
Samus actually flips while she jumps as she did in 2D Metroid games.

Control works well, but with the Wii you don't actually point at the exact area on your screen you want to shoot as you would in a light gun game. Instead the Wii Remote acts as a simple mouse-like pointing device and does not represent where you are really pointing. That is disappointing since light guns games aren't truly possible as a result. I also noticed some errors in the control. When I am instructed to tilt the remote up to pull up a lever on a train, it doesn't work unless I tilt the remote down, and the reverse is true for putting the lever back down again. Odd. I also hate any part that requires me to shake the controls. Hate, hate, HATE! Still, it's a million times better than playing with a dual analog controller. It's closer to playing PC-style with a mouse and a keyboard, but I'll take an analog thumbstick over 4 pissy keys to move myself around any day! Anyone who prefers using keyboard keys over an analog stick for this purpose likely shaves, collects and catalogs their ass hair. The ball mode is kind of twitchy to control, but is manageable and becomes second nature with some practice. Another thing you'll notice while playing this game is how slow the Wii loads its data. I haven't played a lot of games yet on the Wii since there really isn't anything to play, but this game loads slower than a freakin' 3DO console. That's just sad. Sometimes you're trying to get through a door, but it won't open for 10-15 seconds after you walk up to it and shoot it. Unacceptable! Interestingly as I was playing the game, I was suddenly informed that I had unlocked an extra special ending, but that if I wanted to see it, I'd have to beat the game. Duh! I'd say that the difficulty of the game is pretty much right on. If it's too easy for you, play it on a harder difficulty. I'd rather have "fun" than "tough" any day. There isn't any online play for some reason, but that's never make-or-break for me since I prefer the single player experience on games like these. There is some weird online friend voucher thing that I haven't quite got working yet, but it seems pretty lame.

I hate this whore because she makes me shake my controller. I don't like shaking
things unless they are newborn babies. Then it is OK.

Wrap Up:
This is the best game currently available for the Wii, by far. A definite must have if you own the console and you actually like real videogames. My game lasted around 16 hours and I finished with about 81% since the percentage seems to depend mostly on the items you collect, mainly missile expansions and ship missile expansions (which are useless). I spent a lot of time looking for the expansions I did find! So if you want 100%, expect to spend a lot more game hours unless you use a guide. Also, if you get 100%, they show Samus naked in the ending on a beach with Reggie who is also naked. Buy it. Now. Unless you'd rather not.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 09-12-2007 at 03:01 AM.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #1292
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

The music was done by Kenji Yamamoto, Minako Hamano, and Masaru Tajima. The original Metroid was composed by Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka, and he also was responsible for the memorable soundtrack to Kid Icarus, among others. The music in Corruption sounds similar to Prime 1 & 2 (Kenji Yamamoto also worked on those, I believe), albeit a tad more "Americanized" a-la Halo where the music is almost entirely made up of ambiance.

I'm surprised that you didn't bring up the fact that Corruption starts off almost exactly like Halo does. Man, why can't they just let Metroid be Metroid? You know, that feeling of isolation, being completely unsure of your surroundings? There's nothing too mysterious about Corruption. It has your token fire area, ice area, organic area, etc.

I still think Zelda ~ Twilight Princess is the best game on the Wii.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:30 PM   #1293
Vegetto
Alive

JOE DOUBLE POSTED
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #1294
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Look at the times of those two posts.

Yeah, I forgot to say that the first part of the game is really boring, just wandering through a huge ship for no reason whatsoever. I don't even remember Halo.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #1295
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Great review. Thanks for making it mostly spoiler free.

I'm wondering if anybody else noticed something. When you first start the game and use the scan visor you can see Samus' eyes and they look normal. As you get further in the game and get infected with Phazon one of Samus' eye starts to show a visible change from the effects of Phazon. This to me is what makes a good game a great game. Little extras that you notice and lol when you see them.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #1296
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicviper
Great review. Thanks for making it mostly spoiler free.

I'm wondering if anybody else noticed something. When you first start the game and use the scan visor you can see Samus' eyes and they look normal. As you get further in the game and get infected with Phazon one of Samus' eye starts to show a visible change from the effects of Phazon. This to me is what makes a good game a great game. Little extras that you notice and lol when you see them.
I also noticed that, and it's good to see you posting again, fellow forum member Vicviper.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #1297
Reality
Sin and Punishment

8/10?! Hater. This game is at least 8.8/10
Old 09-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #1298
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You fanboy!!!!!!! Anyway, that's why I don't rate in decimals. If I gave something a 9.2, people would cry that it should get at least a 9.3 (I've seen this in Bioshock reviews). Pretty soon people will be rating in octuple-digit decimals, like: 9.2563807
Old 09-13-2007, 01:06 AM   #1299
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Oh man, that sucks. What happened next?
I think we played some Gauntlet IV or Streets of Rage II.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #1300
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I think it's been months since I asked that question. You have no idea the pain I went through waiting for you to answer. Now that it's happened, I just can't believe it. I don't think we should see each other anymore.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:27 PM   #1301
Vegetto
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
You fanboy!!!!!!! Anyway, that's why I don't rate in decimals. If I gave something a 9.2, people would cry that it should get at least a 9.3 (I've seen this in Bioshock reviews). Pretty soon people will be rating in octuple-digit decimals, like: 9.2563807

I agree, decimals in ratings are retarded
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 02:37 AM   #1302
tpfkanep
Gaming since Nov 11, 2006

Altho I do not like scoring games, I think JR's score and review is pretty accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus
I'm surprised that you didn't bring up the fact that Corruption starts off almost exactly like Halo does. Man, why can't they just let Metroid be Metroid? You know, that feeling of isolation, being completely unsure of your surroundings? There's nothing too mysterious about Corruption.
So true. Retro and Nintendo totally messed that up. What I hate the most, apart from the loading screens, voice acting, music, weapon upgrade system (I hate the stacking up of beams, no missile combos): "Let me download the coordinates for you, dumbo!"
Quote:
I still think Zelda ~ Twilight Princess is the best game on the Wii.
Wii Sports.

At least the control system (I needed ~6 hours to get used to it) is near perfect. I am glad Retro is finished with this.
tpfkanep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #1303
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
I think it's been months since I asked that question. You have no idea the pain I went through waiting for you to answer. Now that it's happened, I just can't believe it. I don't think we should see each other anymore.

Funny stuff, Alexander.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #1304
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Super Metroid
8/10
Super Nintendo

Only for Nintendo. No Atari Lynx version??

Since I beat Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii, I became a little more curious about the Metroid franchise so I figured I should play through some of the other games. I've always owned Super Metroid, but never played for more than a few hours and certainly never beat it until now. The story has something to do with the awful Gameboy Metroid 2. In order to prepare, I watched a speed run of that game on the internet so I knew the story and the happenings of that atrocious thing. All caught up in the ongoing literary masterpiece that is the Metroid storyline, I plugged the cartridge into my SNES (which is shaped differently that most of the other games so you can rip the cart out without turning off the power first) and gave it a go. This review will attempt to explain my opinions on this game. Yeah.

Typical Super Metroid scene.

Graphics: 7/10
The SNES can do much better than this, but overall most things look decent. Many of the bosses are well drawn and crap like that. The areas are pretty large and feature varying backgrounds, but there really isn't anything that stands out. The Brinstar area from the first game doesn't look much better than it did on the NES save for the extra layer of scrolling. The game has some transparencies in certain areas which disappear whenever you set off a super bomb or an onscreen text box appears. The visuals certainly aren't bad in any way and you'll always know where you are due to the design of the various stages, and I like the fact that Samus's sprite isn't simply flipped when facing the opposite direction like most 2D games are. She always shoots with her right hand, even when facing left. Still, with 24 freakin' huge megs, I think they could have done a bit better.

This boss was the only one I really had any trouble with.
I fought him by using all of my missiles when I was supposed
to use my grapple beam and fry him as shown.

Sound: 7/10
The game opens with a flaming homosexual telling you that the last metroid is in captivity and as a result gay marriage has been legalized. There is no other speech in the game. There are some pretty cool sounding yelps and screams that the monsters make, though. Some of the music is fairly good and the rest is just kind of ambient. Usually it works pretty well, but I did find myself pressing MUTE a few times when it got on my nerves after being in the same area for too long. The sound quality is the typical muffled sound the SNES likes to make with the typical SNES reverb added to everything as well. There are virtually no frequencies above 2000Hz here. But then again, there probably aren't in any SNES game. It just has a very muffled sound chip which attempts to compensate with reverb.

The SNES has great graphics!

Gameplay: 8/10
You're all most likely familiar with the exploration nature of Metroid games. This is the first Metroid with a mapping system. I like the mapping system in the Castlevania games much better than this one because you can see which rooms have doors you haven't been through, etc. When you get a new power up in Super Metroid, you must run around the entire game just to see if there's any place you haven't been that your new powers could grant you access to. You're almost better off making your own map, that way you can mark down items that you couldn't quite get to and know to come back to that spot. The controls are a bit weak, especially the jumping. There is a wall jump that is almost impossible for me to do and pissed me off to no end. The wall jump is harder than any boss in the game. For some reason the small pterodactyl seems to be a major boss in the game since he was in the intro. And the final boss has to be the easiest boss fight ever. Not the easiest final boss fight, but the easiest boss fight in any game ever made. I don't think it is even possible to lose! The game has instances of slowdown whenever you set off a super bomb and a few other places, but you get used to it. I did have fun with the exploration and revisiting areas with my new powers.

Wrap up:
Super Metroid is a fun game to play through, but I do think it is a touch overrated. I will say that it is the best 2D Metroid ever, however I haven't really played the GBA versions much, so maybe that isn't the case. The game's manual urges you to rush through the game as fast as possible otherwise you'll get a shittier ending. Whatever you do, don't take time to savor the journey and enjoy yourself! RUSH RUSH RUSH! I do prefer Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii to this game which is amazing since I tend to enjoy 2D games more. Why the same score? Because this game is still very enjoyable and works quite well. I didn't say I enjoyed MP3 craploads more than this one.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 AM   #1305
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I think the only reason this game is kind of overrated is because of that one issue of EGM when they did that top 100 games. How long ago was that? Close to ten years I think. Well it was number one and everybody started saying it's the greatest game ever. It's one of my fav. Metroid games.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote