The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 06-19-2007, 06:59 PM   #1276
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Glad you're reviewing regularly again. I don't think it's fair to review Samurai Spirits 2 (or any fighter) based entirely on its one-player mode, but you certainly captured the frustration of SNK fighters in single player. Also I disagree with you about the music, which is beautiful.

Great writeup of Super Adventure Island! Did you know the character's real name is Takahashi Meijin? He became a famous gamer in Japan after winning a televised Star Soldier tournament and for being able to hit controller buttons 16 times in one second. He's now a big executive at Hudson Soft.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:31 AM   #1277
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Nice to see you're still doing reviews. Let's see...

I've never played Princess Crown. It looks good and all but I'm not paying a ridiculous amount of money for it.

Samurai Shodown II is a classic fighting game, and you gave it a Rating 5! That's an average rating! Unbelievable! You don't know what you're talking about when you say that the characters have no individuality! There's a few cultural references thrown in there, such as Jubei being an obvious take on Toshiro Mifune, the gushing blood being clearly inspired by Akira Kurosawa films, the Freddy Kruger claw on Genan, etc. Part II & III are my favorites in the series, and I is good as well because it has Tam Tam.

(Just in case you're interested, they've already got a working version of Capcom's CPS3 emu out now ~ http://nebula.emulatronia.com/ Get the latest update if you're interested. You can finally play Warzard!! Oh my God!! Unbelievable!!)

Super Adventure Island is a good, solid action romp. When I first heard the music I knew it had to be Yuzo Koshiro. BTW, if you get the SPCs for this game, there's this unwanted gargle in some songs. I guess his music programming is a force to be reckoned with. Unbelievable.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:31 AM   #1278
Joe Redifer
Olι!

That's why I record it from REAL hardware, biotch! Yuzo says I can share it with others, too.

If Samurai Shodown's characters had individuality/personality, I'd be able to remember them. I can visualize a few, but I'll be damned if I can recall even one name. Bland!

I'm currently playing through an RPG which will be the subject of my next review. I think I'm around the halfway point or so.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #1279
Joe Redifer
Olι!

Chrono Trigger
8/10
Super Nintendo

Truly terrible artwork lives on the box to this game.

I had never played Chrono Trigger, but the internet told me that it is the best game ever made, period. My friend found the cartridge in a trift store for 56 cents, so I axed a brutha "Can a nigga borrow Chrono Trigga?" and he gleefully complied. So is this game the best thing to happen ever? Is this game the very reason that the Earth and the entire universe even exist? The internet might have you believe that. Some people may be angry that I didn't give this game a score of 10,000 out of 10. The game is great, but Phantasy Star 1, 4 and even Lunar 1 and 2 (Sega CD versions) are all significantly better RPGs.

A typical overworld map. 32 Mega Power!!!!

Story: 6/10
For the first half of the game or so, I wasn't entirely sure what Chono Trigger was really about. I had a vague idea and it all seemed so accidental, not like a party of pre-teen dipshits on a mission which is the usual standard in RPGs. It clears up a bit during the second half, but it'll never win any sort of award for achievements in writing. The story is actually rather bland. Only the time-traveling concept helps retain interest. For instance there is this one tampon in 600AD who lost his tools. So what do you do? You travel to the future and borrow some tools, bring them back to the guy and let him borrow the tools so he can fix a path for you. The hero, Chrono, never speaks a word. I hate it when RPGs do that. There is no reason for it. None. So as a result, Chrono has no personality whatsoever and it makes me hate him. I don't give a shit about him or his quest. Now maybe if he could prove that his brain was actually functional, I might be able to bond with the character. He's like that retarded friend you invite to your party because you feel sorry for him. There are also a few parts in the story which are messed up. For instance, the first time Frog (who is from the past) travels through time, he thinks nothing of it. Doesn't say a word. He acts as if it is completely natural, even if you take him two thousand years into the future. Hello.... writers???? Also, although not really story related, I hate the character designs. They look like Dragon Ball Z. I fucking hate Dragon Ballz! They look like complete ass. Dragon Ballz can go to hell.

Typical boss fight. Not sure what else to say here.
Ummm, you can change the color and texture of your menus.

Graphics: 7/10
Overall the graphics are more than acceptable. Of course they just had to throw in the token Mode 7 scenes, but it's only for a racing minigame. However during these mode 7 scenes they managed to have sprite scaling... on the SNES! The SNES cannot scale sprites, so they did it through software. I was mightily impressed not only by the feat, but by the actual effort it must have taken since the SNES runs at the same speed as the Sega Master System. Too bad F-Zero didn't do this. The overhead graphics are generally drawn really well and have plenty of color. But in 65,000,000 BC the graphics take a hit due to the use of transparency in the Forest Maze. It looks awful with the transparent shadows laid on top of everything and becomes hard to judge depths and whatnot. When the transparencies shut off during battle effects, you can see how nice the Forest Maze actually looks. I'm surprised that they relied on transparencies as much as they did throughout the game, since they always shut off and reappear abruptly during battle effects due to the fact that the SNES can only do one layer of transparency. Those assholes. And one thing that really makes me scratch my head is the ever-present BLACK BAR that lives at the bottom of the screen for no reason. That's right, NO REASON! The only time the black bar isn't there is during the overhead world maps, and you spend only about 1 to 2% of the game on those screens. This is screen real estate that is clearly wasted. In some battles the menus get in the way and you can't see how much damage is being dealt and whatnot due to them being above the black bar. You can move the menu from the top to the bottom and vice-versa with the Y button during battles, but either way you lose because the menu will block something.

There is a small bit of side-scrolling in the game that game me
some serious Ys III flashbacks. That's a good thing!

Sound: 7/10
A 7 for the sound? Am I on crack? Not at all. There are about 4 or 5 music themes in the game that are actually "good". Most of the rest fall into the category of "appropriate" or "fitting", but don't stand out in any way. There are a few music themes that are absolutely awful. One is the bongo-only theme from 65,000,000 BC (that era's music pretty much all sucks), another synth-guitar laden theme from, well, I don't remember when... but it was in a dungeon. This was Yasunori Mitsuda's first game soundtrack, but it gave him ulcers due to the tracks I just mentioned and Final Fantasy composer Nobuo Uematsu had to come in and finish up Yasunori's work. I don't think that Yasunori Mitsuda ever had ulcers, I just think that he is a lazy bastard and used "ulcers" as an excuse so his wimpy ass wouldn't get fired. Anyway my favorite tunes are the one from the game intro/demo, Frog's Theme and the tune that plays in 12,000 BC or whenever it is. The victory tune is also very good (if a bit short) and isn't used after the completion of every single battle here like it is in Chrono Cross, so it doesn't become quickly tiresome.

Some scenes have very well drawn backgrounds, like this court.
Juries here are even more retarded than typical real-life juries!

Gameplay: 8/10
This is a nice RPG to play through. Controls and all of that shit work fairly well and feel smooth. Although I realize it is standard in most RPGs, I don't really care to have so many party members that come and go from your group (you can only have 3 at a time). It's not game-breaking, just a personal preference as I will tend to bond more with characters that are always there as well as learn their battle strategies. But fortunately there are only 7 characters total. The battles can be kind of fun, (and repetitive), but I'm not a huge fan of the battle system employed here. Things keep happening while you're trying to make a damn choice on the menu. It's very distracting and confusing. The little hand which points to the enemy you'd like to attack can get lost in the onscreen clutter sometimes as well, and you may not even realize that it's still there and have to choose. There is an option to switch the battle mode between ACTIVE and WAIT. I tried both. Both are exactly the same from what I can tell. Not sure why they had so many things going on at once. It's like they were trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

This scene is from the beginning of the game, but there is a quick
random scene much later which has these two apparently married
with no explanation provided EVER. The writers suck.

What they DID fix, however, were the random battles. There are none. Mostly you can see enemies wandering about on the map and much of the time if you don't want to fight you can simply walk around them. Sometimes offscreen enemies attack you when you walk over a certain part of the screen, but it's not random. Another thing that I really like is that the game doesn't take it's sweet-ass time to fade out from the map and then fade in to a new battle screen. The battles take place right where you are. The only other game I have seen do this previously was Phantasy Star 1 and only in the dungeon scenes. There are some bosses that love to induce status effects on you, making attacks impossible until cured. That pisses me off, but it's to be expected in just about any RPG. And some enemy attacks seem incredibly slooooow due to the spectacle of the attack itself. I hear this is mandatory in Square games, though. Some attacks in later Square games (Playstation and above) give you enough time to read a book before the attack is complete! This game is rarely "too hard". Usually it is "just right". It took me about 24 hours to finish the game, and you won't hear me complaining that it is too short. The game has 13 or 14 different endings. I am not playing though to experience them all. I don't even think I powered up the game 13 times in my quest to beat it! I'm perfectly happy with just one ending, as I rarely play through RPGs more than once.

The future is home to extremely boring graphics, music and gameplay.
When I got here the first time, I had to force myself to keep playing.
It's that dull. Same thing happened in 65,000,000,000,000,000 BC

Wrap Up:
Definitely recommended. And I also suggest you play the cartridge version versus the Playstation version. If you want lame anime cut scenes, download them from Youtube. It'll be quicker than any loading time the PS1 has ever had. Also, this game kicks the living shit out of Chrono Cross, it's Playstation sequel, in every single way except for the music. Chrono Cross anal-rapes Chrono Trigger in the music department because Yasunori decided that he could never be the Champion of Lazy. That title is mine! This game is definitely better than Rad Racer. Now I'd like to try Final Fantasy 3/6 to see how it is.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:43 AM   #1280
Vegetto
Alive

favorite RPG of all time for me, and yeah, chrono cross was such a let down compared to this game
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #1281
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I just saw all the anime sequences at youtube. The ending looked like it was just to please the fans.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)

Last edited by Sinful Sam; 07-07-2007 at 06:38 AM.
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 AM   #1282
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Finally.

Ive been waiting forever for someone to:

A) Finally realize the story is mediocre
B) State that it is not the best Soundtrack evar!

You Joe, past the final test for being the coolest person alive!
Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 AM   #1283
Joe Redifer
Olι!

Double Dragon II: The Revenge
7/10
Nintendo Entertainment System

I remember looking at the magazine ads for
this game and thinking that chick neeeded
a good boning. Damn I was pathetic!

After Double Dragon 1 sold well, Acclaim decided to shaft Tradwest who somehow was able to release the first game for the NES and release it themselves. I've never played the arcade version, so I have no idea how this compares, but I do know that this allows two players... AT THE SAME TIME! This is almost unheard of in an NES game, and the biggest complaint about the first game was that it was single player only... at least on the NES it was. Lucky Sega players had a two player version because they were awesome and bought and SMS. But unlucky Sega players never saw the sequel. There was a Double Dragon 2 on the Genesis, but it was complete ass.

This game is so fast that the bad guys actually RUN!
Maybe this game uses Blast Processing™?

Story: 0/10
Who cares? Games like these don't need stories. Just play to the end and try and beat it. Unless I'm getting fucked by the big-titted bitch in real life after I save her in the game, then it doesn't matter. But an ongoing story is included because the developers thought we'd care. How wrong they were.

The guy from Terminator 2 has stolen your whore and
now it's up to you to get her squeezable ass back!

Graphics: 6/10
Not bad for the NES, but I've seen the system do much better as well. Your character's arm will often flicker for no good reason even when he's the only thing on the screen. Weak! And the score/status bar at the botom of the screen occupies a rather large chunk of the available space. Some scenes like the Death Forest look fairly pleasant. Hooray!

The game shows off how blazingly fast it is when you
fight these two girls/guys/whatever they are. You
are far too slow to deal with them, and you can't
even move up or down on the screen.

Sound: 7/10
Good NES stuff here. The first stage music is especially cool. It's way better than Guns 'n Roses. Hell, most things are! Many other stages have ever-so-slightly above average tunes, but there are a few memorable ones here and there, and nothing sucks. Sound effects are average. You can leave your subwoofer off for this one.

I bet back when this game came out, people praised
this scene where you get sucked towards the open
door as pure genius. Actually there is an easy
way to get past it. The abobos have hair here.

Gameplay: 7/10
The first time you play the game, you'll be saying things like "WTF? These controlz r messed up lol!" The B button always attacks to the left no matter which way you are facing, and the A button to the right. Once you get past this quirkiness the game controls are fairly easy. Like the first game, both buttons pressed together jump. The gameplay is at a much faster pace than the first game, and for that I am extremely thankful because part 1 was slower than.... ummm... uhhh.... my brain at trying to think of a humorous quip to go here. The weapons are mostly useless since they disappear when different enemies appear onscreen. Some parts of the game are extremely frustrating, like jumping across the river in the god damned Death Forest, and there is no way to continue that I know of! Ug. Anyway it's a good diversion unless you have a better beat 'em up to play like Streets of Rage 1 or 2.

This stage reminds me of stage 3 in the first game, graphically.
I like how the health bars change colors depending on the stage.

Wrap up:
I hear that the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 version of this game shits all over this version due to its superior awesomeness and god-like power of the system. I'd like to try it. But for now this version will do.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:40 PM   #1284
Vegetto
Alive

I really liked 2, the super moves were an awesome addition such as the super knee and super uppercut, I loved spamming the super knee over and over takin out anything that got near
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:02 PM   #1285
loempiavreter
Belt Scroll Game Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Spikeout Battlestreet
6/10
Whenever you get the chance to play Spikeout (Final Edition) try it, don't let Battle Street fool you, it's a pathetic third part of the series (especially that input delay is nasty..). You can really see that SEGA put almost no effort into creating Battle Street.

Last edited by loempiavreter; 08-15-2007 at 06:02 PM.
loempiavreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:05 AM   #1286
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Just recently finished both PSII, again, and IV for the first time (the first time I made it to the final boss but had to return it, as stated before...). Man, PSIV is 10x the game FFIII(VI) is. II is great although time-consuming because of all the leveling-up that needs to be done, but IV is perfect in almost every way. There are a few minor flaws (sometimes I'll try to talk to someone but s/he'll walk off a little and it misses, they could've added explanations as to what spells do what [I reconized a few] and what attributes would be raised before purchasing equipment, etc.) but the quest is so addicting it's insane. It only took two days to complete; I had the free time so I figured, what the hell? I loved how they took the Dark Falz from PSI and made him into a regular, albeit powerful, enemy in the final area. The last area was, admittedly, a letdown in terms of design, but at least the last boss was awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
The dungeons aren't too tough to map or figure out, and I really like that. The exception is one near the end which is a bit crazy.
I know which one you're talking about. That dungeon was super-cool. It would've made a better last dungeon than The E*** (no spoiler). Mercifully there's a healing point within the dungeon. Sega = Love. I loved the characters and truly enjoyed the story from start to finish. They just don't come up with great concepts like this anymore. Going back to play FFIII, I get bored by the time I reach Figaro Castle or whatever it's called really early into the game ...like maybe a half-hour. So what if some of the music is good? Oh, btw, Kefka is LAME. You know your main villain sucks when people try to say that his best quote is, "HATE! HATE! HATE! HATE!" Geez, what a lesson in stupidity! PSIV truly owns FFIII. None of the characters in the latter had any semblance of personality whatsoever, but the former has personality and in large doses to boot. Well, at least FFII is still a great RPG.

How badly I want to play Phantasy Star Generations: 2. It's such a travesty that Sega cancelled the planned remake of IV. It would've been (what else?) incredible. I heard that people who complete certain side-missions and then beat PSG:1 and then go through PSG:2 can resurrect Nei and keep her throughout the entire game!!! HOW COOL IS THAT!?!?!?! Check here for more details ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Generation_2

Also, this page seems to cover everything about PSG:2. I'm talking explanations of everything, complete maps, beastiary, etc. Everything except how to get Nei back. Great site design, btw. ~ http://rpg-home.lunar-net.com/psg2-web/start.htm
Old 08-12-2007, 05:43 AM   #1287
Joe Redifer
Olι!

Yes, Phantasy Star IV sure is a great game. I can't believe I didn't buy that originally (because of the paper box which I felt was extremely cheap and a disservice to Sega's usual packaging... I felt they probably skimped on the game as well). Hopefully someday some fans can translate PSG 1 and 2 for the PS2 and release a ROM that can be loaded to the PS2 hard drive for us to play using the HD Loader. I'd take either Phantasy Star Generations game (in English) over any of the Phantasy Star Online/Universe games they've ever released all combined with free online forever.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:09 AM   #1288
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
The writing in this game is superb. Characters are very human and have realistic dialog. The game takes place in the fabled year of 1979 in a hotel. That's right, it takes place BEFORE Shenmue. The story can seem a bit slow to unfold, but it is worth it. The amount of coincidences are a bit crazy, however this is a fictional game. That means there are actually NO coincidences. It's like a good book, but unlike books Hotel Dusk requires thought and at least some mild brainpower. I really like the main character, Kyle Hyde. I'm not sure how there could be a sequel to this game, but I like the character & the way he interacts with everything and I'd like to see more games of this style with him in the future.
I knew it, these characters are something only Americans would like! I don't know but if you and the forums member Sinful Sam think that their conversation are realistic then I think you lot would know better and I shouldn't think about it. I mean after all in this game you do play as an American I shouldn't be surprise on how crazy and stupid he sounds. ololololololol

Last edited by Paper exe; 08-12-2007 at 06:20 AM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:14 PM   #1289
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
I mean after all in this game you do play as an American I shouldn't be surprise on how crazy and stupid he sounds. ololololololol
You do realize that your English is pretty crazy, right? It's the pot calling the kettle black. Oh, that means that you're complaining about something that you embody.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #1290
Joe Redifer
Olι!

I say PaperEXE should do the English translation for a game... it would rock!