The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 05-15-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Kiuju2k
Oh no!

haha can't get LP to work on vista

Figures it wouldn't work i downloaded the dx10 since i have vista and it stops working message comes up. Oh well thats why i have a 360 right? Fuckin pc games i swear.

Zechin
Kiuju2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
Alucard

No problem with pc games. You're having issues with vista, a new OS that just came out and doesnt have its bugs ironed out yet. I've never had a problem with XP.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

Ironically enough, the problem isn't Vista, but is in fact, the demo. The demo will search for a specific dll file for DX10 and DX9 (depending one which version you are running) that is included in the developer SDK but not in the end user DX runtime. The trick is that generally by the time the game hits retail, developers are aware of which DX dlls from the SDK are not installed that they ended up using, and then include them in the game's install. In this case, being that it is only a demo, they hadn't reached that point. This is no problem with Vista, users that are running the game on XP with the DX9 version have the same issue if they only have the default MS DX Install. It's really more of an issue that the end user version of DX doesn't install all the DX files that a developer might use, and puts the responsibility on them to include the missing files in the game install. You can either google the missing file or simply install the SDK version of DX to ensure you have all those files.

I assume that is the issue you are having (as it is the most common one). Though the simple issue would be that you don't have an 8800 card and thus don't have a card that supports DX10. Just because you run Vista doesn't mean you are running DX10. If you don't have an 8800, use the DX9 version of the game, and if you get the dll issue, find the appropriate dll and put it in the Windows\System32 folder.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Zack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard
No problem with pc games. You're having issues with vista, a new OS that just came out and doesnt have its bugs ironed out yet. I've never had a problem with XP.
it's cool microsoft decides to release an unfinished operating system for us. anyway, that demo runs like crap on xp also. a friend of mine gets around 10-15 fps on an overclocked athlon 3700+ with a 7600gt using auto detect graphic settings and 1280x768. i get just over 60fps on a pretty high-end pc with auto detect settings and 1280x960 (should be getting a lot more considering the games graphics). it also crashes randomly a lot. typical console-to-pc port here. the demo is a work in progress though and it'll maybe be fixed by launch. dunno though, considering most console-to-pc ports..

Last edited by Zack; 05-17-2007 at 05:00 AM.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
IoriYagami n8
Pinkerton

I must have really good luck on my Microsoft OS then. I run Vista with an 8800, 2gigs of ram, and I get 40+ FPS on max settings without any issues of crashing. Amazing as some people might seem to think it, I don't know what is with all the Microsoft OS hate. I've never had issues with a Microsoft OS since 2000. 98 and before always gave me a hard time, but 2000, XP, and Vista have all been great to me.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
I couldn't even run LP on my system... I did locate the dx9 drivers i needed to run the game, but to no avail my system is doomed!