The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 05-13-2007, 10:15 PM   #16
Alucard

Blame the publisher for rushing the game out. Same thing happened with Vampire Masquarade, one of the best rpgs ever made. Patches fix up any game.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #17
memory to zack

It s not always the publisher s fault, but the developers actually.Generally, Dev and Publisher have already decided costs and time for the project. If the developer slacks or has misunderstood the publishers wishes then the project will probably take more time and time means more costs for the publisher as they will have to pay the extra time the developers are working. So often times when a publisher "rushing a game out" means that the developers have "slacked, made mistakes, didn t manage their time well enough".
memory to zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #18
fruitsofherwomb
False Orders Begone

Quote:
. LucasArts pressured developer Obsidian to finish the game for a 2004 holiday release, leading many to speculate that the development had been rushed. According to information at Gamespot.com (see the "Developer Interview" video), development on KotOR II was started on or around the release of KotOR I in November 2003, for an XBox console release of December 2004. This would suggest an approximately 13 month development cycle for KotOR II on the XBox, in contrast to Bioware having 36 months of development in creating KOTOR.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #19
Alucard

Most publishers demand a game be out within the year. Oh thats fine for most games and developers, problem is Obsidian are actually in love with their work and try to give their games substance, which is why most of their games are considered brilliant rpgs. The obvious problem with wanting to flesh something out is time constraints. Lucasarts proved they dont care about the developer, although they couldnt say shit to Bioware because they're huge and have a massive following. Activision were cunts and did the same thing with Obsidian in Vampire Masquarade. Thankfully the fan/mod community out there actually try to improve the game by releasing unofficial patches.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #20
memory to zack

I think everyone knows that RPGs need at least 2 years development time. Lucasart are bastards anyway, but I get the picture from you Alucard that you praise many studios and bash many publishers so I just wanted to give the picture( ihmo) of how things really are. I wasn t specifically talking about Vampire Masquerade. Maybe Obsidian should find a publisher they can rely on, albeit not a huge one but one that loves hardcore games, one that releases games that bring hardcore gaming forward. If they really love their work and try to give their games substance, that s what they should do, and reject offers of money-hungry huge publishers.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #21
Alucard

Unfortunately thats a very hard thing to do. I'll use Troika for example. They made some brilliant godly rpgs. They were trying to get a publisher to go ahead with this game they wanted to make, post apocalyptic future. They had the engine created and everything. It was an awesome engine. But noone wanted to go for it, which in the end forced the studio to close down from lack of funding. You pretty much get what you're given unless you're a major player, ie Bioware, Valve, etc. Very few developers can be pushed around. Most of them though are the industries bitches. Its pretty sad. Work the ox hard so the farmer gets the profits and then later guts you and has you for a summer feast. Sad I tell you.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:27 PM   #22
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
Didn't valve save a couple developers from ruin? i think one of them was eidos and maybe 2k games.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:55 AM   #23
Alucard

I havent heard anything. Valve are definately helping out smaller devs by listing their games on their steam network, ignoring publishers altogether.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:02 AM   #24
flowForth
Programmer

The market needs to hurry up and turn to digital distribution so we can get rid of publishers, distributors and retailers altogether. That is really the only way that lesser known developers can reliably get their games published without having to dumb down their games to suit publishers. It will also save on the cost of games since there are no retailers of publishers to get a slice of the profit. The PC industry is really taking the lead here.

As Alucard said, if you're not an established company with established franchises, you're going to have trouble in the video game world.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:38 AM   #25
Alucard

Good example here is that guy making that platformer for PS3. You know the one. Saw it recently at some show and everyones gone googoo over it. The guy who made the Kung Fu Rag Doll game for PC. That was originally put up on Steam. If it wasnt for Steam who knows how long it would of taken him to get to where he is now, or even if he would of gotten here in the same role he is? Consoles will always go by retailers and publishers. Its just how they work. PCs DONT need to do this. They dont need to be run off the disc to play the game. Consoles do. Cant wait till everything is online and can be downloaded. Useless retailers spend too much sprucing up their playstation sections and dont focus enough on other formats.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:19 AM   #26
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

So thats why Blizzard games usually take 5 years or more to come out.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #27
memory to zack

Wouldn t Bethesda be a reliable publisher? Anyway, I didn t know that it was so difficult for a pc developer to bring their guenine game in the market without restrictions.

I m kind of undecided between online vs retail distribution. Paying less for game, having a game straight from its developer that s good stuff. However, if this becomes widespread, who tells me that the online huge portals won t start resticting developers, not accepting their games and start filling games with ads? Besides, security-softwares against hacks and illegal copies will definitely start getting more sophisticated, otherwise piracy would rise. And its gamers that will pay more when buying a game, in order for the online portals to cover the costs of these softwares. And I think will be far from getting rid of publishers. Publishers will just become online publishers.
Digital distribution is a viable way to something better, but on the wrong hands it would turn out awful leading to the same state as retail distribution, minus the packaging.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #28
Alucard

The cost of a game is so high because a good chunk of that goes to the publisher. Now imagine using that chunk as extra profit and server costs and having the power to take as long as you want and NOT be screwed by annoying rating systems, compared to removing all of that and getting hassled by a publisher. I know which one I want!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:18 AM   #29
flowForth
Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory to zack
I m kind of undecided between online vs retail distribution. Paying less for game, having a game straight from its developer that s good stuff. However, if this becomes widespread, who tells me that the online huge portals won t start resticting developers, not accepting their games and start filling games with ads? Besides, security-softwares against hacks and illegal copies will definitely start getting more sophisticated, otherwise piracy would rise. And its gamers that will pay more when buying a game, in order for the online portals to cover the costs of these softwares. And I think will be far from getting rid of publishers. Publishers will just become online publishers.
Digital distribution is a viable way to something better, but on the wrong hands it would turn out awful leading to the same state as retail distribution, minus the packaging.
I previously discussed the cost benefits in another thread - you might want to check it out. In the end, via digital distribution and original IPs, we can knock off $20 from a $60 game because all the annoying in-betweens of creating a game to getting it to a retailer (as well as the retailers themselves) are eliminated.

And publishers will be eliminated by digital distribution. All the developer has to do is set up a few servers, install some database and security software to manage transactions and they are almost effectively set to deliver games over the net. With plenty of free OS' like Linux to run the servers and other open-source apps, all this will cost the developer initially is little. Of course, managing the servers is going to require some manpower and some of the savings could be put there.

All digital distribution means is that developers have to pick up the advertising themselves instead of relying on publishers to do it.