The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 04-05-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
Reality
Sin and Punishment

Beyond the red Line.

Quote:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/04/ba...frakkin-sweet/

Listen up, nuggets. You're in a Colonial Viper. You've got no wingman, three inbound Cylon Heavy Raiders, and you just spotted a Basestar several klicks away. What do you do? Choose your own adventure:
-Whiz your flight suit.
-Call for backup and fire up your FTL drive
-Hammer down the trigger and go for the gold

Now you can actually make the call yourself. The open source Beyond the Red Line project based on Battlestar Galactica has finally released demos of the game for the Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms. We downloaded it and took it for a spin. While there's a fairly steep learning curve (much easier to deal with if you've played Freespace 2 a lot), the space combat and in-game elements are slick.

The game is powered by the new and improved Freespace 2 engine, although it's entirely standalone so you don't need Freespace to play it. They've put together their own audio for the entire demo, which includes original characters, voice acting, and soundtrack pieces from Bear McCreary and Richard Gibbs (composers for the show), online multiplayer that actually works, and it's own storyline. In fact, if you haven't seen season two, you'll want to avoid the game for the spoilers.

While there aren't any Six models in here, we like what they've put together so far. Plus our favorite word "free" is sandwiched in there too. It'll give you something to do until the next season starts ... in 2008.
I was going to post this in the mod thread but this is so much more then just a normal mod, its a entire game. So it gets its own little place for now. So yeah, I don't care a thing for the show but I like free games and this one is suppose to be great. I shall DL her before it gets shut down or something lame.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:47 PM   #2
Nano Fox
All your WIFI are belong to us!

Location: I fell in love with a woman, but my family didn't like her. (Friend)Your parents? (Me) No, my wife and kids.
It will Never pwn Freelancer
Old 04-07-2007, 01:44 AM   #3
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO I need this mod NOW!
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
Decado

What they're doing with Freelancer 2 is schweet. Lots of good stuff, not just this mod.
Decado is offline   Reply With Quote