The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #1216
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Thanks Ill add MKR to my list of WD games to pick up.
In in regards to Castlevania, the collectors edition was free (atleast on launch)
Old 01-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #1217
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I received the game as a present.

But the regular edition still cost money? I'll take the free version of the game, thank you.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #1218
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Nice. (I read it before I signed on.) WD's "humor" was always absurd, a fact which I'm glad GameFan picked up on with Lunar 2. Also, releasing a game near the launch of a console on one shore and localizing it late in its lifecycle on another is just plain bad business. That's why they got one crappy booth at E3 in the corner. Good. They deserved to be treated that way.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #1219
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Yeah, Working Designs really didn't have their act together back in the Sega Saturn days... I guess it takes a lot of extra time to not only translate a game and write a bunch of irrelevant pop culture crap for it, but also screw with the game's mechanics and make it harder whenever possible.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:21 PM   #1220
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Not to mention more time consuming, like that friggin' "pay to save" feature in Lunar 2. Want to save your progress? Fight extra battles. How genius. You'd think there's a VERY GOOD REASON why nobody else used that idea up to that point. It takes brain damaged people to ruin a great game like that. They also made Alundra's bosses take more punishment and deal more damage, but I can't complain about that because it was a somewhat good idea since the bosses don't tend to have challenging patterns.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:24 AM   #1221
Mistatee
Linguistic Massacre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
I received the game as a present.

But the regular edition still cost money? I'll take the free version of the game, thank you.
I ment all the extra stuff was free, the game is still $30 or $35

And as for WD changing the game mechanics, its usually for the better. A lot of the time, the games they make harder really need it, seeing as they are easy enough after the changes. However Lunar 2 on Sega CD is a pretty poor job done by them.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:10 PM   #1222
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistatee
And as for WD changing the game mechanics, its usually for the better. A lot of the time, the games they make harder really need it, seeing as they are easy enough after the changes. However Lunar 2 on Sega CD is a pretty poor job done by them.
You are the only one who felt that way. And how about Thunder Force 5, where they simply removed the easier difficulties? I mean, they were an option in Japan, but in America, you're just going to suffer and like it.

BTW, in Lunar 2 for Sega CD, I became permanently stuck in the ghost house when my magic dude refused to learn the healing spell required to kill some of the enemies. I never could find an explanation in the FAQs and what have you.
So, as far as I am concerned, Lunar 2 is only half a game or so. ~
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:56 AM   #1223
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All
8/10
Nintendo DS

Whoever designed the logo needs to go back to design school.

Here we are with what is sometimes called "Phoenix Wright 2". It is a port of a Japanese GameBoy Advance game that was released only in Japan, but you shouldn't care. Be sure to read my review of the first Phoenix Wright game on the DS to get a general feel for the series. This game is basically more of the same, and fortunately that is a good thing!

This game makes a lame excuse for not being
in Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1. Pathetic!

Story: 8/10
Every episode has the word "Turnabout" as part of its title for some reason. They really love this word over at Capcom as it was prevalent in the first game as well. Anyway the writing is pretty good just like last time, and the final episode definitely reels you in. The content seems more geared to those who are a bit older than those who were targeted by the last game. Yes, the little girl still follows you around this time, however you'll be joined by an even younger girl as the game goes on. Rumor has it that a fetus will follow you around in Phoenix Wright 3. Unfortunately a couple of the WORST characters from the first game come back and spend a lot of time in this game, namely Lotta and Oldbag, two characters which everyone hates. I'm sure they'll be there for all future games as well. Fortunately the writing is good enough to keep you interested, even though one of the episodes deals with a circus. Yes, a circus! Everyone hates the circus and clowns and the like. You'll get to deal with it here, and a brand new flaming homosexual as well! You haven't seen flaming like this before, even though the character claims to have a crush on an actual female. Japan is weird. I bet they are all gay over there. They sure love their fem-boys.

Unlocking the "Psyche-Locks" can be a pain,
and often you'll have to go get more evidence.

Graphics: 8/10
More of the same, with more great hand-drawn 2D art. I like the style, it's not quite anime so that's good, though some of the expressions are overly exaggerated just like anime. Also, unlike the last game there are no polygons in this game. EGM wasn't able to handle this. I can. And so can you.

Sound: 8/10
Many musical passages return, and that's fine, but there are a ton of new tracks as well... in stereo! It still sounds like the TurboGrafx-16, but that's OK. And yes, since the Steel Samurai was the lamest episode of the first game, it's music definitely returns in full force here. Does Capcom think we like what it fails at?

This guy will die very soon. Death
always happens wherever Phoenix goes.

Gameplay: 8/10
There are only 4 episodes as opposed to the 5 that were in the first game, but the final episode is pretty damn long. In fact most of the episodes are fairly lengthy. This time you can present profiles of people as well as evidence. And there is also a new "Psyche-Lock" thingy that enables you to see when people are hiding something, and you have to wean the truth out of them. These sequences can be tough and can take awhile. I'm not a big fan of these new sequences, but I don't think they really hurt the game, either. You never have to use your stylus in this game, and that's good. There are a few times when you've gotta touch the screen, but a quick tap of the finger works just fine. I wish more developers would realize that just because a game is on the DS doesn't mean that stylus control must be used exclusively.

In order to play this game, you must be able
to read, which disqualifies most people under 18.

Wrap Up:
A great follow-up to the first game that I definitely do not regret buying. I heard there is a Phoenix Wright 3 in Japan for the GBA, and I hope we see a DS version of that somehow. I know they are making a DS-only adventure which will surely have tons of polygons and feature ONLY stylus control. I hope that they don't wreck the series.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:44 AM   #1224
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I still haven't played a Phoenix Wright game. My brother just got Hotel Dusk. Haven't heard what he thought of it yet. Most text games turn me off for some reason, not that I've played a lot, mind you. An 8 is a pretty high rating for a game involving mostly text, though, so I wonder if it's really as fun and replayable as people are making it out to be. It seems like a short ride.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:01 AM   #1225
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You can only really play through the game once every 2 years or so, but it is definitely a good experience.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:12 AM   #1226
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Hmm, that's not terribly convincing, but I should try at least one of them for the hell of it. BTW, your second in-game picture doesn't work for some reason.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #1227
Joe Redifer
Olé!

They're all there. I just didn't put one between the graphics and sound sections.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:28 PM   #1228
Seraph
>:3

I still havent tried the franchise. I havent found that extra "push" ive needed to just go buy the game.

if you would be so kind Joe, if you could perhaps make a comparision for me. Such as "If you liked suchandsuch then you will love Pheniox Wright".
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:38 PM   #1229
Nindalf

"If you like anything that's good and pure in this world, you'll love Phoenix Wright".
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #1230
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yes. If you like JB Harold, you'll like Phoenix Wright. Oh, you weren't born when the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine existed? OK then if you like most RPGs you'll like Phoenix Wright. There's just none of that constant battling and leveling up and shopping. But like regular RPGs it is hard to just turn around and play it again right away. But once enough time passes and you don't have everything memorized any more, then it will be fun again.