The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 10-10-2006, 10:13 AM   #16
Leguna

Metal Gear Solid Subsistence: REVISITED

Gameplay: 6 out of 10
Two things have happened recently that had me lose a LOT of respect for Hideo Kojima; 1. He doesn?t think videogames is art, 2. MGS3?s gameplay design. I?m actually thoroughly worried about MGS4 after replaying MGS3. MGS3?s gameplay design is really bad and a fine example of what NOT to do in games.

Let?s start with the stamina meter. How did Hideo think that it would be fun to stop what ever you are doing in the game to feed Snake??? I mean, how annoying is it to have to pause the game, select ?food? from your menu and then select a food item and maybe more than once because food rots to keep Snake?s stamina meter high? VERY ANNOYING!!! There?s no skill involved here, just random selecting of food you have captured to feed snake.

Now for ?cure,? once again, how did Hideo think that it would be fun to have to mindlessly select a BUNCH of cure items to not actually increase your health but to allow yourself to heal faster??? STUPID IDEA!!! And it really gets in the way of just playing the game and having fun PLAYING and not selecting **** from menus. Sure it?s more realistic, but I don?t buy games to their realism (unless the realism adds to the fun and in this case it definitely doesn?t). I buy them because they are FUN to play.

Oh and now for ?camouflage?. Hideo turned MGS into a menu driven game! What?s up with all this menu selecting **** during battle???? It so fucking slow! I mean, if only the camo were something you could cycle through on the fly, while playing, but no, instead you once again have to PAUSE the game, select ?camouflage? and then select the camo you want and you have to do this for every new environment you are on. I lost my patience doing this over and over.

Splinter Cell had better gameplay than MGS3. So why a 6 and not a 2? That?s because MGS3 had and amazing story. And while there?s a lot to complain about, there is some good to the gameplay like the unique boss fights and the use of some tactics to using your weapons.

One last thing, try holding using a soldier as a human shield and then try releasing your gun with out firing to return to holding the knife to the soldier?s neck?Hideo, why??? The controls to do that are unforgivably retarded to do.
Music/Sound: 10 out of 10
This is definitely what keeps this game alive. The soundtrack to MGS3 is one of the best soundtracks in ALL OF VIDEOGAME HISTORY!!! The voice acting, while very good, wasn?t lip synced. But that?s to be expected since few companies are will to put the budget in to re-lip sync the dialogue in cinemas.
Visuals: 10 out of 10.
The visuals in MGS3 are some of the best PS2 will EVER see. There isn?t a game with as much forest detail as this game has on the Playstation 2. This game is pushing PS2 to its limit with great use of PS2 shaders and effects and real-time cinematics that are equal to any GREAT, Hollywood action film. This is where Kojima Productions shines most, graphics.
FINAL JUDGMENT: 8.7 out of 10
It?s a shame; MGS3 marks the first strike of the MGS series. MGS was mind-blowing, MGS2 was even more mind-blowing, and MGS3 nearly sucked. MGS3 was very lucky that it came out when it did, because a couple of months later RE4 came out and it put the smack down on ALL VIDEOGAMES! ?Damn RE4 is SOOO much better,? that?s what I said after I was done with RE4. MGS3 just had too much menu selecting and poor controls here and there. This game deserved a 5, but because the music and visuals were SOOO good, it really picks up the slack like nothing I?ve ever seen before.

http://www.gamingescape.com

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 10-10-2006 at 02:28 PM.
Leguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #17
Diavle

The amount of stuff you carry affects your stamina bar which is why you have the option to select specific items and put the rest away.

I usually just equip the tranquilizer gun and that is all, even if I have the other gun equipped it doesn't make much of a difference. The stamina goes slow as hell unless there is a need to swim.

Oh and you compared MGS to RE, fission mailed.
Diavle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:26 PM   #18
Kiryu1985
Communist

OK review, I guess... for a 4 year old

Here are my opinions:

Quote:
Splinter Cell had better gameplay than MGS3. So why a 6 and not a 2? That?s because MGS3 had and amazing story. And while there?s a lot to complain about, there is some good to the gameplay like the unique boss fights and the use of some tactics to using your weapons.
- Splinter Cell Chao theory... the A.I is stupider than ever, you kill all the guys in the level, and you can run around every security camera and detectors, and nothing will spawn, all you hear is the intruder alert sound yelled by some foreigner.

- Splinter Cell Chao theory, the A.I is pretty blind, yeah I know its dark and all, but the fact that you can run around a guy and they will do nothing is quite stupid.

- You can't shoot the camera's, only disable them for a few seconds, which is stupid, since you can shoot the camera full of lead for five minutes straight and nothing will happen.

Metal Gear's Multiplayer is way better, the crappy 'Co-op" missions, WTF? Can we say overhyped crap? They last for like 1 minute each, its like the tenchu 3 co-op all over again.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:29 PM   #19
Seraph
>:3

Leguna make your own review thread so that you dont flood this section with a billion game reviews. er I think mods can actually merge them together.

oh, and you made mistake #1 on this board, you gave a bad opinion about a MGS game. NEVER do that on this board, its a religion around here and you are almost certian to be flamed then shot.

still its nice to read a review of this game thats not "OMG BIG BOSS, OMG THE STORY, OMG DID U SEE THAT SCENE IT SAID KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS ON IT!!". One of these days I'll see if this game picked up the slack from MGS2 or not. when i get a working PC that is.....

Last edited by seraph830; 10-10-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:28 PM   #20
Joe Redifer
Olé!

MERGED! Leguna, I don't mind if you post reviews, but it seems that you are just trying to advertise for that forum you link to.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #21
Leguna

Joe Redifer:
I'm playing fair, i'm replying here as well, but is there anything wrong with siting sources?

Kiryu1985:
Don't get me wrong, i hate every Splinter Cell after Splinter Cell one. But I wish MGS3 had Splinter Cell one gameplay with MGS3 graphics, music and story. Both multiplayer modes in Splinter Cell and MGS3 suck.

Diavle:
No 2 videogames are exactly alike and while most people will tell me that MGS3 is a stealth game, I found myself playing it more like an all out action game and RE4 in relative terms, is an action game that's similar. And besides, i'm comparing the 2 games as VIDEOGAMES not as 2 of the same genre. My point was that RE4 is just a better videogame than MGS3, that's all.
Leguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:11 PM   #22
Nindalf

since i assume you're writing these reviews yourself, wouldn't that make you the source, not some forum you also post them in?
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #23
Chronos
fuggit

I stopped after

"[Hideo Kojima] doesn?t think videogames is art"

Cool MG pic.
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:48 PM   #24
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Maybe the source link should be to his profile?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #25
Diavle

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830

oh, and you made mistake #1 on this board, you gave a bad opinion about a MGS game. NEVER do that on this board, its a religion around here and you are almost certian to be flamed then shot.
You're still alive and kicking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leguna
s are exactly alike and while most people will tell me that MGS3 is a stealth game, I found myself playing it more like an all out action game and RE4 in relative terms, is an action game that's similar. And besides, i'm comparing the 2 games as VIDEOGAMES not as 2 of the same genre. My point was that RE4 is just a better videogame than MGS3, that's all.
And there lies your mistake, MGS is supposed to be played as a stealth game. Play European Extreme to fully appreciate the game. There are so many ways to handle each area its not even funny.

You took the easy half-assed way out, sucks to be you.
Diavle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:56 PM   #26
Nindalf

the "easy half-assed way" is the only way the game is even remotely enjoyable.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #27
diunx
The Devil Loves You

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph830
Leguna make your own review thread so that you dont flood this section with a billion game reviews. er I think mods can actually merge them together.

still its nice to read a review of this game thats not "OMG BIG BOSS, OMG THE STORY, OMG DID U SEE THAT SCENE IT SAID KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS ON IT!!". One of these days I'll see if this game picked up the slack from MGS2 or not. when i get a working PC that is.....
why do you hate my religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavle

And there lies your mistake, MGS is supposed to be played as a stealth game. Play European Extreme to fully appreciate the game. There are so many ways to handle each area its not even funny.

You took the easy half-assed way out, sucks to be you.
I 100% agree with you there, I have 3 different ways to get through the wooden bridge at the beginning:
1-shoot the guards with the sniper rifle
2-shoot the bee hives
3-blast my way acroos the bridge

Last edited by diunx; 10-10-2006 at 09:46 PM.
diunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 AM   #28
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavle
You're still alive and kicking.
yeah barley
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:38 AM   #29
George Foreman

I honestly thought the exact opposite. The game was really fun(I used a combination of stealth and run and gun) and the music was pretty good however, I thought the story was kinda dull till towards the end. I fell asleep in the opening sequence(although it was my second time through) and again during that scene at the waterfall.