The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 02-14-2003, 04:54 PM   #76
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

One of a kind

Astal - Sega Saturn - Rating 6
Released in 1995 near the Saturn's launch, Astal was one of the most unique action/side scrolling games released up to that point. Featuring stunning visuals, a great soundtrack, and interesting gameplay, Astal is a great game... but it's too short. Way too short.
The graphics are a big reason why everybody gave it high ratings (4-5 stars and around 90%) and indeed, Astal's visuals are second to none, with vibrant, lush scenery, most of which consists of huge, gleaming crystals/jewels of all colors, and the character/enemy art which is great but a bit lacking in the animation department. There's no way you can look upon Astal and not be impressed. Some of the zooming in and out gets pixelly, but it's not really that bad.
The game's story is about Quartilia, the land of crystals which a goddess by the name of Antowas rules. The demon Jeraldo is trying to control Quartilia again, and he's taken Astal's girlfriend, Leda, hostage. Shortly after embarking on his trek to save the land, Astal comes across a strange bird which he saves, and it follows him for the remainder of his journey.
You control Astal and to a small extent the bird. Astal can run, jump, duck, punch, grab and throw in any direction, use magic, and slam the ground causing enemies to change into crystals. That's about it, and the game is ultra short, but there are a couple of challenging spots here and there. Nothing too major though. The enemies are nice but a lot of them don't do much. The bosses are impressive, and some of the later ones can be a bit challenging.
The soundtrack is great stuff that fits the visuals very well. It's a good mix of contemporary stuff with lush synth sounds that really goes well with the game. The sounds are all done very well as well. Even the voice acting (whatever little of it there is) is decent.
So yes, I recommend Astal to anyone with a Sega Saturn. Just beware its lack of length and dismal challenge, both of which are the result of a rush job by Sega to hurry and release it. If this game were longer, more challenging and had more for you to do, I would've given it a 7 or an 8. It's a good game and one of the best looking of its kind. Too bad Sega never made a sequel.

Here's every cheat for Astal ~ http://www.acecheats.com/index.php/cheats/Saturn/Astal
And here's some screenshots ~ http://www.classicgaming.com/saturn/...ts_astal.shtml

I'LL BE BACK....

Last edited by Icarus4578; 08-03-2004 at 09:48 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 06:17 PM   #77
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

If you love Zelda, then you must play....

Alundra - PlayStation - Rating 10
Wow.... what a game! Released in January 1998, I personally felt Alundra was the epitimy of adventure titles for the 32-bit systems, thus beating Metal Gear Solid for game of the year. Developed by Matrix Studios (which includes former employees of Climax, the creators of Landstalker on Genesis) and published by Sony in Japan and Working Designs in the US, Alundra is every bit as great a game as Zelda ~ A Link to the Past, and succeeds it in many ways.
Alundra is an elf-boy from the tribe of Elna, people with the ability to enter other people's dreams. Every night Alundra is haunted by the same dream -- a guardian named Lars keeps forewarning Alundra of a terrible demon that will reawaken in a lake north of the village of Inoa. The people of Inoa are haunted by nightmares that they cannot find a way to rid themselves of. They need somebody to help rid them of their curse. And so, Alundra sets out for the village of Inoa, but on his way across the sea his ship is destroyed by a massive storm. Shipwrecked, Alundra ends up floating ashore the land of Inoa, where a humble man named Jess happens to come across him.... The story might sound like the standard 'save the world' premise but it has got enough twists and oddities to make it stand apart from the norm. I must also mention WD's translation of Alundra - one of their best yet, with only a few jokes here and there and most of it is light hearted stuff that works well. Aside from that, the game gets dark and depressing at times, with people dying left and right, which is uncommon for this kind of game. Why this is so prominent a feature of Alundra is because the game focuses on one town with one set of people whose lives affect each other. This is unlike something like an RPG such as Final Fantasy 7 where they try to be overdramatic to compensate for the lack of depth in the characters (although as a game FF7 is top-notch).
The game plays like an 'adult' version of Zelda with far more challenging puzzles and enemies to keep you glued to the game. Alundra will carry different weapons (Swords, an Iron Flail and the Hunter's Bow), magic wands which you can charge up to use magic attacks (fire and ice, just like Zelda), armors, boots, and an assortment of other items, magics and goodies with various effects. As you upgrade to better weaponry you can begin charging them up for a more powerful attack (think Zelda). There's also the Legendary Sword which can only be gotten if you've done REALLY BAD up to the point where it becomes available (and to all those like myself who are very good at these games and don't die often, you'll have to intentionally let yourself get hit/killed a bit). It's worth it, in my opinion; the Legendary Sword has the strongest attacks of any weapon in the entire game.
The dungeons/dreams contain some of the smartest, most challenging designs I've ever come across. Tough jumps, puzzles and enemies abound, and the best thing is it never gets old, although if you lack patience you may find yourself on the brink of destroying your PS several times. However, I LOVE a good challenge. The enemies (get this) actually attack and defend themselves, rather than mindlessly walk/move around waiting to be destroyed as in almost every other game of this kind. The bosses are made more difficult for the US version by taking more hits to defeat, and some of them are quite nice. Others are kinda dull, but it's not a big issue. 90% of the game is puzzle solving/searching and 10% is fighting (well, until deep into the game, especially those white monkeys - the Murgg - hopping everywhere like mad ). Some may be turned off by all the greys, browns and greens this game uses for the game's landscapes. However, some areas look rather good, sporting nice use of colors and lighting.
The music is excellent at times, fitting well with the game's looks/mood swings. Some of it is standard stuff and some is just atmospheric, but it's nonetheless very well accomplished. The sound effects are nice, even though much of them sound like they came off a SNES (though that's not a problem in my opinion). There's no voice acting in the game, but there's an opening and ending cinema with some nice animation, and the in-game dialogue is second-to-none.
Overall, you might consider Alundra an 8 or a 9 rating, but in all honesty this is one of my favorite games, especially for PS. I love adventure titles and if you do too don't miss Alundra. It's absolutely fantastic!! :cool guy:

Well what you've got here is your walkthrough for Alundra ~ http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/24683.html
More on Alundra ~ http://www.rpgdreamer.com/alundra/
Here you'll find some media from the game (all screenshots are from the opening cinema though) ~ http://www.rpgdreamer.com/alundra/
Screenshots ~ http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/alundra/index1.html

Last edited by Icarus4578; 10-09-2004 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:26 PM   #78
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Wild side

Fatal Fury ~ Mark of the Wolves - Dreamcast - Rating 5
Who doesn't know Fatal Fury by now? One of SNK's most popular series, Fatal Fury has seen a tremendous amount of sequels and releases across many platforms (Genesis, Sega CD, SNES, Saturn import, Playstation, etc.). Cherished by the 2D fighting crowd, Fatal Fury Special is considered by many the finest in the series.
FF~MOTW is a worthy addition to the series in many ways. Yet it can't live up to its full potential. I'll explain why, but first I'll explain the game structure. It's yet another 2D fighter with a few new additions. There's story mode, survival, VS, practice, a gallery section with artwork and cinemas (most of which have to be unlocked), and of course options. The fighting system now includes several new additions. There's the T.O.P. Setting which you set up after selecting your character of choice. You use left and right to determine the activation timing from front, middle, and back on the life bar. Also, by pressing up and down you can choose from 3 power levels. It increases your attack power, your life gradually recovers and a special T.O.P. attack is enabled. In order to activate it your life bar has to touch it. The Power Gauge works like in Street Fighter Alphas, only you have a limit of two filled at once. It allows you to use special moves and, if filled up twice, a hidden ability may even be activated. There's the Just Defended system (there's that word yet again - 'system'...) which lets you regain some energy if you press block immediately before an opponent's attack can connect. In addition, there's guard crushing and guard breaking, as seen in other fighters.
You select from 12 characters (and both bosses, if you earn them). There's Rock (the new main character), Terry "OK!!!" Bogard, and all new faces: Hokutomaru, Kevin, Tizoc, B. Jenet, and Gato are among the new additions. The others are similar to other SNK characters -- both Dong Hwan and Jae Hoon are basically Kim Kapwan, Hotaru is Nakoruru, Butt is Takuma Sakazaki, and Freeman is Basara. The character's profile art is weak in comparison to former SNK greats like KoF 94-2000, Art of Fighting series and former Fatal Fury titles, which is a disappointment. However, the characters themselves (in-game) are well done with a lot of animation. Most of them are a bit small though (except for guys like Grant, self-proclaimed 'Martyr of Might' and mid-boss before Kain). Think King of Fighter-size and you'll understand. The backgrounds are fairly well-done but what is especially cool is before each match there is a small 'entry' cinema preceding the match. Those are cool additions, as are the cinemas that occur during the game (with nice animation). Jumping between planes during the fights is sadly absent from this installment, and the characters are not as interesting as in most other fighters. If you lose and have to continue you can handicap the opponent by selecting one of 3 options: Power Gauge MAX for your character, COM difficulty down, or 1/4 the opponent's life meter. OR, you can bypass all these by selecting 'No Service', like us real gamers do. Whenever you beat an opponent you get graded on your performance - from top to bottom: Miracle, SSS, SS, S, AAA, AA, A, B, and finally C. I mostly get the S rankings, and extremely rarely get Miracle (I'm not the best at this game but then again I don't find it to be as interesting as others).
The music does nothing for me, quite frankly. I enjoyed soundtracks like KoF 95, Art of Fighting, etc. but this one suffers from being too mundane/hollow, without any passion. The sound effects are carbon copies of the Neo Geo which means they're decent but unimpressive. Even the voices sound somewhat muffled....
So that's about all I have to say about FF~MOTW. It's an average fighting game and a let down as far as the Fatal Fury lineage is concerned. It's a shame, really, that SNK would downgrade after many great fighting games. However, in a way it's understandable. SNK was going through tough times financially and probably were scared of taking risks. May SNK live on forever....
As Rock says - "If you deny your wild side, then you deserve to die." Errr... whatever.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-13-2004 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:07 PM   #79
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Resistance is Flammable

King of Fighters 2000 - Neo Geo - Rating 6
It's unfortunate that many people looked past this game just because of its lack of ultra impressive backgrounds and tried to use that as an excuse to govern their mediocre ratings of this game. That's ridiculous. Besides, although some of the backgrounds aren't impressive (desert, grabage dump, old shipyard) others are decent/very nice (aquarium, city streets, factory, final area).
The game opens with the character K' walking past team illustrations, and shows him kicking at the screen, with the game logo coming on the screen. There's a few interesting additions to KoF 2000. If you fill your power gauge you can activate either the Counter or Armor systems. The Counter system is activated by pressing A, B, and C simultaneously and it enables special moves/combos and super cancels. The other (more useful) system, the Armor, is activated by pressing B, C and D simultaneously and it allows you to counter virtually every move when attacked (think of the way Juggernaut would get hit in various Capcom fighting games and just bypass the attack with his own attack, sucking up the pain in the process). This is ultra-useful, especially against the final boss, Zero, who can rack in multiple hits from one attack. You also have a Striker you can choose from when you're selecting your team (press B and C together during a match). Some strikers are hidden, others are accessible only by selecting the proper combination of characters on your team, or, you can select the striker from out of your team (consisting of 4 characters). There are 35 initial characters to choose from and a couple of hidden ones as well.
The characters are all animated well, though not as well as something like SF3. But then again SF3 has a lot less characters. Some of the new additions are corny like Bao on the Psycho Soldier Team, and Hinako is the worst character ever in KoF series (a school girl that acts like a sumo wrestler... how bad is that!? ). However, everyone else is designed very well, like K', Jhun, and Whip. And of course, some characters are similar to other characters in SNK series, like Lin who is basically Basara. Each team plays differently than the others. For example, the Art of Fighting Team plays like Ryu/Ken from Street Fighter and the Fatal Fury Team plays like, well, Fatal Fury. You can select all the characters in a team, and watch the team ending after you beat the game, or you can select random characters out of any teams you want. If you select certain combinations of characters, like Kyo and Iori, there will be a different ending. You are graded after each match in points, and if you play extremely well consistantly you'll fight with Kula (the Anti K', according to Zero). She's an interesting character with strange ice attacks. When I fought her, I was in the shipyard and when she came the entire place turned to ice. There are cinemas after Stage 5 which explain what is going on. After I saw them once I just skipped them every other time I played the game. No matter.... The story is about the Zero Cannon, a weapon that Zero created (who else?). And each team ends his plan in their own way, as well as following up on their individual storylines. Some character quotes are top-notch (you crazy funster) corniness of Neo Geo games. Kyo quote ~ "Resistance is Flammable, no one can snuff my flame."
The music is kinda plain, but there's one song in particular that's awesome, old school fighting gaming - the Fatal Fury Team. Songs are not activated by stages but by teams/opponents. The sound effects and voices are on par with any other game by SNK for Neo Geo, meaning they get the job done, and some are impressive.
Don't overlook KoF 2000 as being a bland fighter. It's certainly top-notch in many ways and is a great follow-up in the series. It may not have the best backgrounds, but what it lacks in background design it more than compensates for with depth and fun factor. 688-MEG of pure KoF gaming goodness. It's just not as good as some of the other fighters that have come before it (Samurai shodown II for example). Try to get the Dreamcast version - I had to pay $300 for my Neo Geo cart.

Here's a good KoF webpage ~ http://www.kofonline.com/

Last edited by Icarus4578; 04-21-2004 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:20 PM   #80
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Weird fun

Darius Gaiden - Sega Saturn - Rating 9
Saturn owners don't have too much choice in the shooter genre (unless you import). Darius Gaiden by Taito is among the best shooters I've played --- fantastic visuals and effects, great bosses, multiple routes (28 stages total), and one freaky Zuntata soundtrack. Acclaim made a wise decision to bring this shooting masterpiece to US Saturn owners.
The first thing you'll probably notice is the soundtrack, which is great, strange stuff. It's got weird female vocals "Lost on eyes..." and even mixes the music with some opera. You'll either love it or hate it. I thought it was enjoyable and even a bit entertaining. What was really freaky was some of the boss songs, featuring the lyrics "eyes, eyes, eyes... HEAD HEAD HEAD...."
The graphics are some of the most impressive 2D visuals ever done on the Saturn (and there's even a few 3D touches here and there). Insane special effects, warping insanity all over the screen, insane bosses, etc. The stages are only about 2-4 minutes each and they consist of vast, scenic outer space, underwater/sea areas (this game's premise is that you're fighting robotic/mechanized fish and sea creatures), rocky plains and even stages that consist of backgrounds overlayed with psychadelic effects and swirling colors. Great stuff.
The enemies are perhaps the weakest part of the game: small, often weak enemies that really aren't impressive. However, where the game shines is its 2-5 minute boss fights which consist of huge fish creatures of every kind, massive horsefish and crabs, and other things. They shoot out lazers, beams, and every other shot imaginable in a shooter.
Controlling the Silver Hawk is simple: move, shoot and use bombs. There. That's it. You reveal power-ups by killing the appropriately colored enemies and by shooting at random areas in stages. There's bombs, extra lives, points, shield power-ups, and weapon power-ups. You can also make some enemies aid you in combat by shooting at a special orb on them and collecting it. The bombs are very cool - you create a void which sucks in every enemy/shot on-screen (except bosses, obviously), and then it closes up, creating a massive burst of electricity/lightning which hurts everything on-screen.
Be forewarned -- this game gets tough later on, particularly on a harder difficulty. But it's far from impossible. Here are some tricks that should help you out~
Extra Credits - At the main menu press X, A, L, R, Left, then hold L and press X, C, Z, A, Right, Right. You'll hear a sound which confirms the code.
Rapid Fire - at the main menu hold B and press Y, Right, Left, X, Z, L, R. You'll hear a sound which confirms the code.
Two New Difficulties - At the game start screen hold X and press Z, C, L, B, Left, R, L. You'll hear a sound which confirms the code. You can select Very Easy and Abnormal difficulty in the option screen.
I recommend this game and Galactic Attack for Saturn owners, both brought to the US by Acclaim. Better, if you've got a converter for import games, here's a great site to check up on some good games http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~bevhome/damscans.htm Click on the covers to look at screens from the games, including Darius Gaiden.

Here's a useful link for codes and cheats for all Sega Saturn games http://vgstrategies.miningco.com/library/sat/bl_sat.htm

I'll return

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-13-2004 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:59 PM   #81
Overlord
Akuma to odorou

+__Overlord___/ __/ _/

Why did you go back and edit all the posts? The Mod or Admin would have shown at the bottom of the all the posts that were previously edited.

We seem to have juxtaposed an impasse here.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:05 PM   #82
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I realized that a little too late. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:19 PM   #83
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

I check the thread status to see who edit/update this thread, and no names came up. The problem is that, the name Y o s h i t a k a happens to have a bad word in between, which the admin recently set to censor, so thats why you see **** instead of the name.
Black Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 07:39 PM   #84
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

LUCKY!

Keio Yugekitai ~ Katsugekihen - Sega Saturn (import) - Rating 7
It's unfortunate that Victor Entertainment never brought the sequel to Keio Flying Squadron (for Sega CD) over to US shores as the game is among the Saturn's finest platformers. Featuring some of the Saturn's absolute best 2D work (and even has transparencies!) KY was released near the demise of the Sega Saturn and didn't get the recognition it deserved.
Remi is a blonde 14 year old girl dressed in bunny ears and a leotard (a bunny girl like you'd see in a cabaret). She happens to have in her immediate posession a magical ball which the 3,000 year old tanuki (racoon) Dr. Pon is after so he can revive an oni (ghost/spirit) he can use to hoard all the gold sealed in Mount Fuji so that he and his fellow tanuki can take over the world. So while Remi and her family are eating supper Dr. Pon shows up in his flying airship and throws a bomb at her house which destroys it. To make matters more strange an unfamiliar girl named Hibiko shows up and steals her magical ball, and so Remi chases after her....
The game shows all that in the opening (grainy) animated FMV, but at least it's almost full-screen. You begin the game in the forest and you'll immediately notice how good the game looks and animates. Everything is lushly animated and there's great use of colors and effects. Remi can pick up a lot of stuff (like tanuki statues and other objects) and throw them at enemies. Furthermore, she can pick up weapons (mallets, umbrellas, and bow & arrows) and while she has any weapon in her posession she can take a hit and live, though this knocks the weapon out of her hand. Make sure you pick it back up; always have a weapon in Remi's posession so that she can take a hit because if she gets hit without a weapon she'll lose a life. You must also collect as many bunny heads as possible if you want extra lives. You wind up going through the mines, and then it's on to a shooting stage against an armada of pigs (!) with Remi once again on the back of the baby green dragon Pochi. Pochi also serves as the check points in stages. After the shooting area is a sumo arena where a boss awaits. There's a tremendous varitey of stages: lava caverns, the flying airship (there's a part where Remi must grab a huge hand and use it to click a switch....), roller coaster ride, underwater (with MASSIVE sunfish and octopus), a haunted temple where she must fight an evil Kabuki mask which changes to two other heads before revealing it was a photo of a Japanese guy's head with the eyes blurred out , a Sakura blossom area where Remi is on the run from a gang of tanuki while fighting off ninjas, a strange dojo where she must run on hampster wheels to make platforms move so she can jump on them, another Pochi shooting stage in space against flying volcanoes, koalas, and the 'sexy' robot with women's legs , and on and on. As you can clearly tell, there's a tremendous varitey of stages, and there's a bit more that I haven't listed. There's a ton of stuff Remi can do: run, duck, jump, climb, pick up/throw, attack, hop on kappa heads which act like springboards, swim, use the umbrella to float or cover her head from boulders, and more.
The soundtrack is very good and, as with most of the 32-bit CD games, you can listen to the music by putting it in a CD player or in your Saturn. There are a few memorable pieces here and there, and one piece even reminded me of Legend of the Mystical Ninja on Super NES (this game as a whole reminds me of that game). I don't know if I would say that Keio is as good as Mystical Ninja but it's a bit different. The sound effects and voice acting are all wonderful, and anytime Remi picks up a 1-up she yells "LUCKY!" in the typical cute (kawaii) Japanese pronunciation of English words. There's even a small gallery you can open up which includes photos, artwork, tips and tricks.
I recommend Keio to everybody with a Saturn and a converter. You can find a copy of it on eBay or search elsewhere for it. It's worth the trek. Makes you wonder why most other Saturn 2D games don't look as good (Mega Man 8 is the most similar animation-wise, Astal uses more color but doesn't animate as well, and Castlevania.... I don't even want to get into that). The game lasts an hour or two and maybe it's not worth $60 or so because it's not high on replay. But I think it's a good game even if it was too easy for me - I beat it without continuing my first time.

"Lucky?"

Want a great site where you can buy tons of import used software/hardware? Here ya go ~ http://www.yamatoku.jp/game/
Want to see some screenshots? Go check out OPCFG ~ http://www.geocities.com/opcfg3/keiossreview.html

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-13-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:54 AM   #85
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

The original

Castlevania - NES - Rating 8
Whenever I play Castlevania on NES I'm always reminded of the fact that system limitations are of no significance when it comes to the aspects of imagination, durability and creativity. It was such a bold stroke by Konami, one which has withstood all the grunts and strains of time. An important game. No matter what we may seem to think of as being limited we should look no further than at the works of some of the finest game designers to see how transparent 'system limitation' is as a term. Creativity is only as bound as one allows for it to be.
What other pure action game ignited the NES like Castlevania did? None to my recollection. It wasn't simply the characters Belmont and Dracula, nor was it the simplistic nature of the game structure but it was in fact a higher scope of what the action relies on; put simply, the personality. Enthralling it was, and is still very much today. Never before was there such a graceful demonstration of game structure to an action game, aside from a very select few (such as Metroid). There was truly something else there that wasn't there in others. If you'd disagree with me contemplate this: why hasn't there been a series as important on these new systems as a technically graphically inferior title named Castlevania on an 8-bit system which only used two buttons?
Need I explain the game? Belmont walks, jumps, climbs, lashes out his whip, and uses other weapons he collects as he transverses the exteriors and interiors of Dracula's Castle. Everybody knows this game by now. Smart stage design, enemies, bosses and even a few secrets here and there, all to such a memorable, unique soundtrack which was composed on a system with 4 channels of sound. That's what I call an accomplishment, not throwing around 10 million polygons and doing it like virtually everybody else does it (Which means it will be done better by the first game team that composes better graphics from a purely techical aspect).
Castlevania has been a defining moment in gaming similarly to what a movie like Citizen Kane has been to movie-making. Only there's a big difference -- Castlevania has seen many high-quality sequels and for that we are fortunate indeed.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-13-2004 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:23 PM   #86
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

As good as can be

Breath of Fire - Super Nintendo - Rating 8
I own every BoF there is and the first is still perhaps my favorite. Many felt part 2 was the best but it had the worst US translation for an RPG ever and wasn't as well-polished as the original. BoF 3 and 4 are pretty cool but there's something about the original that makes it stand ahead. Square of America made a wise decision to bring BoF over to the US. Good story and pacing, tough bosses, great use of the SNES graphics, and a fantastic soundtrack that fit the game perfectly. Just tremendous enjoyment.
The game's graphics are the Capcom stuff you'd expect from the SNES lifecycle. They're nothing super impressive, but they get the job done well. The world moves from dawn, to day, to evening, to night on the world map, and when you enter a town it will be at the exact time of day you entered it at (time doesn't move in a town unless you stay at an INN). A nice feature; some things only happen at night and vice versa. There's a good variety of dungeons and battle areas scattered throughout the land. The battles are done on an isometric view with both characters and foes animating (something all 2D RPGs should do). Though Capcom can only squeeze so much out of a 16-MEG cart what's there is very good.
The quest is about a 25-35 hour trek and well worth it. Your party will consist of 8 people total and they all have 'talents', things which only they can do: Nina can become a huge bird and fly around the world map freely, for example. Some areas require that you put a specific character in the lead so they can do whatever is neccesary to proceed. The enemies are challenging, and the bosses are among the most resilient in any RPG I've ever encountered. When fighting them they have an energy meter visible that you drain, but when you're fighting with bosses most of your attacks do an incredibly small amount of damage, unless you're very strong. The boss fights are the best part about BoF since they're so strong, challenging and very fun to do battle with (and often times rather big). The final area in particular is filled with tons of bosses -- a very good thing indeed.
The soundtrack is what makes this game tick. The compositions and arrangements are excellent (better than any other BoF in my opinion) and help meld in with (personify) whatever area/event occurs. All the sounds/insturments are high-quality, as are many of the sound effects.
This is an RPG that belongs in every SNES RPG gamer's library. It's one of the very best on the SNES alongside Final Fantasy II-III, Arcana, Chrono Trigger, both Lufias, etc. Don't overlook Breath of Fire.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 03-22-2004 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2003, 06:02 PM   #87
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Super fine

Final Fantasy III (VI) - Super Nintendo - Rating 9
Do you like RPGs with hundreds of different enemies, tons of bosses, great visuals, a good premise, two world maps, tons of spells, items, and summons, TONS of secrets, and all to one of the greatest RPG soundtracks ever made? If so, boy have I got a game for you!!! But to be serious, who HASN'T played Final Fantasy 3 by now? That's because virtually everybody that loves RPGs loves FF3.
Notice I didn't say 'great story' or 'awesome characters'. That's because the story is kinda dulled from the fact that the characters lack much individuality and depth (unlike those in an RPG such as Lunar). The premise is good though and that's what makes everything work in FF3. The quest spans two world maps (one a strong variation of the other with many more locations), and there's even a floating island in-between. The game's length is approximately 40 hours without secrets, and with secrets about another 10. If you want to get every character to level 99 and every magic expect to sit there for an extra 20-30 hours (the northeast island in the second world map, the one with dinosaurs, is extremely useful to this effect).
As you can imagine, the graphics are top-notch stuff, though they don't quite match Chrono Trigger (aside from some of the enemy and boss fights). Virtually every effect the SNES can produce is present including Mode 7, zooming, rotation, transparencies, rotation, warping and every lighting effect. The character sprites are relatively small, but the enemy sprites are of a good size, with some filling up almost half the screen (though they don't animate). One thing impossible to not notice - the game is relatively dark, and that fits in with the premise and locations, particularly during the second map.
FF3 is filled to the brims with weapons, items, relics, magics, summons (called Espers), and hidden stuff. And many things like relics, weapons and armors will have different/multiple effects when certain combinations occur on one character. For example, if you combine the Genji Glove with the Offering on one character + 2 weapons he/she can do 8 hits every turn . And if you build someone like Sabin up all the way and do this he can take 9999 HP every single hit! Needless to say, the game becomes rather easy if this should occur. Also, every character has unique skills. Gau, for example, can leap into an enemy during combat on the plains (a special area on the world map). If you continue fighting on the plains he will re-join the team, only now you can select to make him fight exactly like the enemy he leaped into (every attack and magic the enemy can do, he can do).
Nobuo Uematsu's score for FF3 is perhaps his best ever. Never before has FF had such an accomplished soundtrack (FF2 is the other biggest accomplishment). Songs like Searching Friends, Devil's Lab, Celes, etc. are all top quality. And the ending theme is just over 20 minutes (though much of it is the characters' themes with slightly changed arrangements). The sound effects are pretty nice, though there's certainly better-sounding games on SNES.
Is FF3 the best FF of all time? Many feel that way, or tend to think FFVII is the best. I don't know. I enjoyed 2 (IV), 3 (VI), and VII the most of the series and couldn't imagine any RPG player without these in their collection.

Big tip (perhaps spoiler)
When you fight the final boss, if you've got someone equipped with the Genji Glove, Offering, two strong weapons and the character is powerful enough to do about 7000-9999 HP of damage each hit, you can finish the boss in one hit!
Another way is to have someone cast Vanish on the end boss ( ? won't Vanish but it will work so long as it doesn't say the spell had no effect) and then cast Death. That's all there is to it.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 08-03-2004 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:07 PM   #88
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Square should just forget about porting Final Fantasy III to Wonder Swan Color and release it on GBA with enhancement and stuff.

FFIII SNES cart are going for hundred of dollars on Ebay. These folks need to know what ROM are. ;)
Black Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 11:01 PM   #89
gearhound1
Banned

they aren't anymore......
gearhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 10:54 AM   #90
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

$100 for Final Fantasy III on SNES!?!? What is it, still in its original package w/ the strategy guide? Whoever did that has some nerve. (Then again I paid $100 for Castlevania on PC Engine CD/TurboDuo, and it was in mint condition!)

Last edited by Icarus4578; 08-03-2004 at 09:51 AM.