The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 07-27-2006, 08:17 AM   #1126
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Nice review! Are you planning on reviewing Lunar 2 next? Lunar is still one of the better RPGs out there. Victor Ireland thinks he's great or something. If you ever bought Lunar 2 for PlayStation and watched the making of disc you'd know what I'm talking about. They try to make their voice actors out as if they're all great. Lunar on Sega CD was one of their best translations; Alundra was perhaps their best.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #1127
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Lunar 2 is too damn hard. I can't past the first part because I am out of herbs and there aren't any towns or shops to get more. The game kind of sucks compared to Lunar 1, but it does have better graphics and cut scenes.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:12 AM   #1128
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Actually, it's very easy. The Althena statue at Grandpa Gwyn's house completely restores you. Stay in that location and level Hiro up to about 6 or 7. In the Blue Spire you can get herbs from defeated enemies and chests. Also, when Gwyn is in your party, he can restore your health with magic.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #1129
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yeah I got past that part and now I'm in the woods which is a bloody maze! And the enemies keep calling their friends so soon the screen has about 26 green enemies which all take two hits to defeat, and I only have two guys that can fight (the girl takes off a hit point here and there, she is completely useless). Hiro takes FOREVER to level up. Have you noticed how much slower this game is? For instance, it has to load the battles where the first game did not. The battles are also much, much slower.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:49 AM   #1130
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

There is a slower pace to it, absolutely true. The loading isn't that much longer than the first. Arcus Odyssey for the Saturn has what I'd consider loading issues; you don't even want to know.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #1131
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Loading to (and from) battles in Lunar 2 = 5 or 6 seconds. Loading battles in Lunar 1 = less than 1 second simply because it didn't laod, it just switched screens and music tracks. In the long run Lunar 2 will last hours longer simply because of the loading.

I have Arcus Odyssey and I can't really get into it.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:03 AM   #1132
Joe Redifer
Olé!

One thing I forgot to mention in my review of Lunar is that Luna is Alex's adopted sister. And they are an item. The back of the manual shows them kissing. Let's hear it for adopted sibling love!
Old 07-31-2006, 02:17 AM   #1133
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Ohh snap! This game has everything!

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:43 PM   #1134
Seraph
>:3

If Luna was my adopted sister id make out with her ;D
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 AM   #1135
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Lunar 2 - Enternal Blue
8/10
Sega CD

You probably should play this game.

Yeah. So, like, I just finished playing Lunar 2. And I figured I'd write up the best review for the game on the 'net. And here it is. I'm sure you already agree that this is the best review of the game. Anyway Lunar 2 takes place after Lunar 1 and that right there is crazy insane. I don't really recommend that you play Lunar 2 immediately after finishing Lunar 1 like I did because it can seem quite a bit slower as a result. Instead give it a week or two before you start on the second adventure. I must also mention that this was the last Working Designs game ever released for the Sega CD. What does that have to do with anything? Absolutely nothing. Is this game better than Dark Castle for the IBM PC? Hell yes. Is it better than Gran Turismo 3 and/or 4? Oh goodness gracious yes.

Some of the mazes will drive you insane with their evil tricks.
Also, since I did not play this game on an emulator, I instead
took pictures of my TV screen with a digital camera.

Story: 8/10
Playing through Lunar 1 is almost a prerequisite before playing this game... it really helps and makes this game's story much more enjoyable as a result. This time the story seems more urgent and catastrophic. It is very, very doomsday-ish. The whole world is going to hell in a handbasket and everybody will die. The situation is indeed quite dire. But in typical Working Designs fashion, all of the characters remain quite chipper and love to joke around. Can the situation really be all that bad when one of the characters keeps saying "Oh, pooh"? All of the protagonist avatars feature a smile even when they are trying to be serious. The game takes place 1,000 years after Lunar 1... or maybe just a few hundred years. It's never really made clear since the game states both. The main character, Hiro, has a tattoo of two green lines on his face for NO REASON! I guess he is trying to be as cool as Ryo from Shenmue (not even close to being possible). Although the game purports to take place on "Lunar", it actually takes place on Earth. This is proven by many things: The picture of the planet at the end of the game clearly features Earth continents, the characters love to mention things like Bill Clinton, Rush, Abba, Barney and other Earthly things. So therefore this game MUST take place on Earth... unless Working Designs screwed up the translation, which they probably did. Speaking of which, the dialog pretty much sucks (once again, typical of Working Designs). I must give them credit since I only found 2 typos in the game, but they try too hard to be funny as often as possible and it really does break the mood of the story.

Here's a typical battle scene for ya. You can't control Lucia, but she'll
help with magic attacks... eventually. For the first part of the game she
likes to defend herself or run away. Thanks a bunch, whore!

Graphics: 7/10
Most of the graphics are definitely better this time out, but they still run at 256x224. There is a bit more color this time and much more animation. No super-blocky scaling, unfortunately. This may piss off some Final Fantasy players, but they'll just have to cope without it. This game also does not use Unreal Engine 3 for some bizarre reason. The Duke Nukem Engine 8 is used instead. But overall there isn't really anything to be displeased with here graphically.

The opening animation features full frontal nudity of Lucia.
Really. Everyone loves full frontal nudity. Rated T for Teen.

Sound: 8/10
The sound effects aren't quite as loud and scratchy this time, but they still aren't anything special. There is a lot more voice in this game than in the previous game. This is good and bad. Good because voices are fun. Bad because the actress for Lucia really, really, really, really, sucks! She sounds like she has the personality of an empty cardboard box. This does kind of hinder the story since it is hard to care about anyone so amazingly dull. Many of the voice actors are from other Working Designs games. Hiro was Van in Cosmic Fantasy 2 (also the main guy in Mansion of Hidden Souls which was not from WD). Pretty much all he says in Lunar 2 is "Lucia.... Lucia..." again and again. He has a few other words but not too many. The music was again done by Noriyuki Iwadare of Warsong fame and this is probably one of his best scores (except for Devil's Crush in which he rocks da hizzouse). It is very well composed and overall way better than Lunar 1. The music when fighting the second form (out of about 90 it seems) of the last boss is so surreal and calm. Unfortunately the music is streamed off of the CD so it sounds a bit muffled like a 3DO game (Guardian War comes to mind). I have to knock the rating down because of this. The Playstation and Saturn version had the same music, only slightly re-arranged... mostly for the worse, though really not by much. Since this game is from Working Designs, that means it also has at least one insanely awful song in it with horrible lyrics. This game is special since it has two horrible songs in it. It seems that they did get a better singer for the 32-bit versions but they still are teh suXorZ.

The ultra-slow overworld map. Your vehicle moves
no faster than you can walk, but protects you
from annoying random battles.

Gameplay: 8/10
If they had kept in everything good about Lunar 1, this game would rank a 9. But they decided to break a few things. First of all the overworld map is tremendously slow. Even when you get the "Starship" Destiny you move slower than a dial-up connection trying to download a two hour uncompressed high definition movie. The Destiny is also horrifically difficult to navigate, constantly getting stuck. They took out the ability to warp directly to towns you've already visited, and that really makes traveling a chore. I can barely remember the names of the towns much less where the hell they are on the gigantic overworld. Also the game has to stop and load every time a battle takes place, and load again when you are done unlike the first Lunar. I'm betting that all of this was done to give you a false sense of the game being longer. And "longer" it is. The battles are a bit slower and the AI a whole lot dumber. But you do have more options in a fight than you did in the first game and you can level up your favorite magics as well... up to level 30. You earn magic experience and can choose what magic and when to upgrade them. It also costs magic experience every time you save. This was a feature Working Designs put in (are you really surprised?) just to piss people off. It gets more expensive to save every time your level goes up. In all honesty I never had a problem saving and the game is pretty generous with magic experience, so overall it really isn't an issue. I love the ability to save anywhere you want. This should be mandatory in ALL RPGs without exception. The game is fun, addicting, and it can be pretty tough at times as well. Another thing I really liked is that once they join your party, most of the characters are with you until the end of the game. I really like that. I also like that the same statue that refills your HP also refills your MP, unlike the first game. Sometimes you must donate $$$, but you'll always have plenty of $$$, just like in real life!

The entire game took me about 38 hours, and that included
powering up to level 99. Hell yeah... might as well kick ass!

Wrap Up:
Lunar 2 is a great RPG and a must for any RPG fan who owns a Sega CD. It is better than part 1 in many ways and worse in many others, so overall it ranks pretty much the same. Definitely worth a playthrough.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:48 AM   #1136
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I should buy this. Too bad it's so expensive.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #1137
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Lunar 2 is mad, bad and insane. They don't make RPGs like this anymore. But that aside, I looked in my mailbox and noticed that there was no Galaxy Force II arranged soundtrack in it. Perhaps the mailman hoarded it for himself.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #1138
Joe Redifer
Olé!

There are only like 1 or 2 songs that are arranged. I'll see if I can find them.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #1139
Seraph
>:3

Lucia
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #1140
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Lucia = bore.