The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 05-25-2006, 06:02 AM   #1111
Nindalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
New Super Mario Bros.
6/10

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 06-06-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:11 PM   #1112
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Zany Golf
6/10
Sega Genesis

Zany Golf, one of the first few games from
EA to come in a paper box. It will also only
work on a launch day Genesis. Unless...

It's miniature golf combined with pool (the game, not the swimming type) combined with things that couldn't be done in the real world. Debuting on the Apple IIGS computer in 1988 and then ported to other crap machines like the Amiga, AtariST and DOS compatible PCs, Zany Golf was the mega-hit sensation of the 80's. Rather than program optimized code for the Sega Genesis version, they simply took the code from the Amiga version, made a few changes here and there and called it a day. Yup, it's a port of a port. I blame Trip Hawkins. He was always about low quality. As a result the Genesis version runs worse than an NES game would.

For whatever reason, a hamburger blocks the hole here.
It has everything except cheese. Oh wait, I see cheese.

Graphics: 3/10
Using a wimpy palette that only allows 16 colors onscreen it does indeed look like an NES game in many ways (with more resolution, of course). It also looks very dithered and grainy. It definitely looks like a game that was programmed outside of Japan in that era (re: poor quality). There isn't much animation, but what it has is done acceptably well. At least the game doesn't run in the Genesis' low resolution mode. What is kind of annoying is that the actual play area only takes up about 2/3 of the screen, making you scroll around just to see where the ball needs to go next. The rest is covered by a useless black border.

The first hole is pretty easy to get a hole-in-one on.
It's even easier to get a hole-in-two.

Sound: 3/10
Some of the musical tunes in here are nice, but it is obvious that they are sloppily implemented. It definitely sounds like a game made outside of Japan, with no use whatsoever of the PSG or PCM sound channels. The original AppleIIGS version took advantage of that machine's 15-voice music synthesizer, which supposedly no other port of the game did. I'd like to hear that version as it probably sounds kind of nice. But the Genesis version is fairly weak.

Before each hole you are kind of told what to do.
Sometimes it is a bit wrong, though. For example,
pressing 'A' repeatedly on the pinball level does
not shake the entire board like it says.

Gameplay: 6/10
At least the game is fun and somewhat addicting. Bouncing the ball off edges to get the prime angle is always fun to try and figure out. You play it like you play pool, shooting the ball from behind. This can be a bit weird at first, but you'll get used to it. There was a hole on the computer version that was removed since the Genesis didn't have a mouse at the time, and a new hole (Knockout Nightmare) was added in its place. It is the 8th hole. It sucks ASS! It is near impossible I say. You knock the ball in the hole, and it pops back out... every single time! WTF? I can't figure it out. Unfortunately you might want to overclock your Genesis because the game runs extremely slow and bogs down to about 1 frame every two seconds in the worst case. It's bad. Very choppy. I can't believe EA let this out for release like this, especially with so very little going on in the game and such a low color mode. This speaks volumes about EA's incompetent programmers. But somehow the game still remains slightly addictive. If you play it on an emulator, it runs at perfect speed for the entire game.

Speaking of the pinball level, here it is!
The slowness can actually be an advantage here.

Wrap Up:
Zany Golf is a good game to have in your collection, but at only 9 holes it may be over too quickly. Well, that is if you can get past hole #8 where one stroke can bounce around for over 15 minutes.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #1113
Alexander
I speak with codes.

Sports games < Sports

remember the alligator eats the bigger one
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 05:40 AM   #1114
Nindalf

Joe ruined my beautiful picture.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:02 AM   #1115
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer

Wrap Up:
Zany Golf is a good game to have in your collection, but at only 9 holes it may be over too quickly. Well, that is if you can get past hole #8 where one stroke can bounce around for over 15 minutes.
9 holes? That's three times more fun than my girlfriend can offer!
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #1116
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

What the hell is this game? It doesn't look cool. Nowhere near as cool as Grand Theft Auto. I want to be cool.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #1117
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Icarus, there is a hidden hole that you can get to from the 9th level. If you go into the mouse hole in the lower right corner when its eyes are red, you'll be warped to a special level where you murder prostitutes who are also your mom. Trust me it is the epitome of cool.

Nindalf, at least I left the largest frame from your 1MB+ sized image!

Also I finally got past hole 8, and I played the Apple IIGS version via emulation. The sound is so much better, but the graphics are exactly the same... without the slowdown.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #1118
camac
I feel so good.

Zany Golf was awesome, I remeber having it on my old computer, back when floppy disks really were floppy. ...

Well it seemed awesome to me, but that was years ago. I remeber being entertained by the burger and pinball levels so much. Then being pissed off that real mini golf courses didn't have giant burgers flopping around.
camac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #1119
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

The first time I rented this game was with my high school girlfriend. I never got a hole in one on the game but I did get a hole in one with her. I win!
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:07 AM   #1120
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

So I was playing Galaxy Force II for the Genesis the other day and realized that it had some kickass music.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #1121
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Some of the music isn't too bad. I have a few arranged versions somewhere abouts. Too bad the game is kind of dull.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #1122
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

That's awesome! Can you copy them onto disc for me? BTW, I've already completed the new mix CD and I'm also sending you something else for you to play on your PC that's, shall we say, extremely awesome? I'll PM you with the playlist and send the stuff out either today or tomorrow. Of course I'll include Vicviper's copy as well.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:23 PM   #1123
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Of course I'll include Vicviper's copy as well.

:bigsmile:
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 06:58 AM   #1124
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Lunar - The Silver Star
8/10
Sega CD

The instruction manual was embossed, which
supposedly made it better than other manuals.

Lunar is an original (as far as I know) role playing game (sometimes known as "RPG") for the Sega CD. It was made by Game Arts (famous for Silpheed) and translated by Working Designs. Victor Ireland of Working Designs did some of the translation and threw in some of his own touches to the text. Despite this obvious downturn, the translation turned out pretty good, and so did the game.

In the beginning of the game Luna shows her mad
singing skillz with a song consisting of only one word.

Story: 8/10
The story revolves around a bunch of teenagers. Despite the fact that teenagers don't count as real people, the story is still Lunar's strong point and is very enjoyable for the most part. Alex is the main character and a crapload of other characters will join and desert Alex as often as they possibly can. Alex wants to become a Dragonmaster or some such nonsense and thus the story goes. Reading is required for this game, which explains why it was banned in Arkansas and Alabama.

Phallic symbols sticking out of the
ground will replenish all of your power.

Graphics: 6/10
The graphics run in the Genesis' wimpy low-resolution mode which is a pathetic 256x224. Real games run at 320x224, but not Lunar. Still the colors are decent and everything looks fairly OK. The cut scenes don't have much animation at all, and most TurboGrafx-16 CDs put Lunar to shame with their cut scenes. What the hell? This is from the peeps who did Silpheed? Could have used more Mode 7.

You may think you are looking at a high-powered arcade game or maybe even the Xbox360, but you'd be wrong. This is the raw scaling power
of the Sega CD which will blow you out of your chair and through the back wall with its pure awesomeness. Nothing can prepare you!

Sound: 7/10
The music by Noriyuki Iwadare is pretty good, but as is typical for Iwadare it certainly isn't anything mindblowing. Unlike the Sega CD sequel the music is full CD quality so it has that going for it. The sound effects are produced by the Genesis itself and are VERY loud and scratchy. Fortunately I have a Genesis 1/Sega CD 1 combo which allows me to adjust the sound effects lower to better balance with the music. Genesis 2/CDX/Wondermega/X'Eye/LaserActive/Aiwa CSD-GM1 and emulator users are screwed in this department and must endure the overly loud effects. The voice acting is pretty cheesey and is almost worthy of a Saturday morning cartoon. Almost. Victor Ireland loves his in-game voices to be cheesey. There aren't many voices here, though. The opening song is also cheesey. They should have left it in Japanese.

Here's what the battle scene looks like. Yay!
Damn, those characters are sure powered up!

Gameplay: 8/10
Lunar keeps you involved and coming back again and again. That is good. The battles are handled quite well and are very speedy. Loading is not an issue in this game and happens very quickly. Game Arts "fixed" this in Lunar 2 by making that game move, fight, and load at slower than a snail's pace. It is because of the briskness that my enjoyment of this game increased. Items are easily managed as well as all of that BS. The one thing that really irks me about this game is the amount of characters who constantly join and leave your party. You never get a chance to know them. Once someone learns a great spell that you love using in battle, they split or get sick or something of that nature. By the time the game is over, virtually every character and NPC in the game will have been part of your party at one point. Or so it seems. Just give me a bunch of good characters and let them stick it out with me. Many people complain that the game is too easy and too short. It is a tad easy, but it's fun and lasts many hours, so who cares? I do kind of agree about the length, though. I feel it would have been better if the game were 5 or 10 minutes longer. The ending is fairly mediocre unfortunately, and features a lame voice quip that loser Victor Ireland insisted be put in after the credits. It makes no sense, has zero relevance to anything and certainly isn't humorous. Victor Ireland needs a beating and we should bomb Ireland (the country) just to be sure.

OMG she is teh hotness!!

Wrap Up:
Lunar is a great RPG to play through for the Sega CD. Every Sega CD owner who likes RPGs to any degree should have it. If you like your RPGs to have a brisk pace with little loading, this is for you. Whatever you do, do NOT play Lunar 2 directly after playing this game or you will throw your Sega CD out the window due to that game's slowness and unresponsiveness compared to this game.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 07-27-2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:14 AM   #1125
Seraph
>:3

Cool, i always wondered what the original Lunar was like. I'm not sure I could stomach it after playing the Playstation remake.

What are you using the term easy relative too? I played SSSC and it was dang hard compared to Final Fantasies or other RPG's.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote