The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 05-07-2006, 06:48 AM   #1081
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I'm pretty disappointed that Sega didn't rearrange the original tunes again, which means no new version of Passing Breeze.... I'm also surprised that they toned down the system effects; it doesn't look as though there's much added detail or anything.

Have you ever played Super Hang-On? It's pretty fun.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:04 PM   #1082
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Quote:
The graphics are damn near as good as regular OutRun 2, but they removed the anti-aliasing, lowered the texture resolution, and got rid of most the glowing "sheen" and the such. The result is a game that looks fantastic, but a bit more jaggy and muddy than regular OutRun 2. The Playstation 2 version supposedly looks even worse, though I haven't seen it
The sheen is alive and well in the PS2 version. I sometimes almost get blinded by street signs because they are so bright. The PS2 version does suffer from lost frame rate. I notice it when there are more then 7 or more cars on screen. Still it's a quality game. I wish I would have been able to find the Xbox version but I was impatient and settled for the PS2 ver.
Just out of curiosity why would somebody own the PS2 version AND the PSP version? Silly waste of money if you ask me.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #1083
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Have you ever played Super Hang-On? It's pretty fun.
Ummm... yeah.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #1084
gearhound
Versus the World

joe, remember when you were going to race me on outrun 2? whatever happened? i think you knew the outcome: me lapping you 2 times

i wish my xbox didn't break on me.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:21 AM   #1085
Joe Redifer
Olé!

You don't race laps in OutRun. But I gave up Xbox Live anyway. Unnecessary expense.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #1086
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

And now that they've got that whole ad deal going on, it would become more of an annoyance than anything else. Who wants to sign up to a live gaming service in order to become an unsuspecting marketing guinea pig?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:37 AM   #1087
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Screw Xbox Live. I will never sign up for that again! I need to keep watching my credit card bills to make sure they don't sneak a charge in there. I don't trust 'em.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:56 PM   #1088
gearhound
Versus the World

when i had it xbox live i enjoyed it immensely. seriously, it is fun. when i get a 360 in the near future i will be playing again.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #1089
Joe Redifer
Olé!

New Super Mario Bros.
6/10
Nintendo DS

Nice, colorful box. I guess Luigi is somewhere in here, too.

"New Super Mario Brothers"? Surely Nintendo could have come up with a better title. What happens when it is sitting on the used shelf at your local crappy game store? What happens when the next Mario game comes out? This game will no longer be "new". And you know there will eventually be another Mario game of some sort for the DS. With titles like this and "Mario 128", Nintendo must be losing some of its creative edge. Regardless, this is a 2D platformer and everyone loves 2D platformers. We need more games of this nature. Pricess Peach/Toadstool/Daisy has gotten her sorry self kidnapped AGAIN! I don't know why Mario keeps rescuing her. She must be some legendary piece of ass. What the hell a plumber is doing in a world of magical creatures and royalty is beyond me. Miyamoto is clearly on LSD.

Mario can get big and smash through things. Yay.

Graphics: 8/10
I really like the graphics here, quite colorful and there are always 3 layers of scrolling. I wish Mario was a 2D sprite rather than a polygon, but you can't have everything. Just when you start to think that the stages are begining to look repetitive, a new stage design pops up with crazy new colorful graphics. Did I mention this game is colorful? If I haven't I really should, because this game looks great. The animation of everything is also well done, from water splashes to other things that I am too lazy to describe.

This game uses both scaling AND rotation
in an attempt to rival the Sega CD!

Sound: 7/10
The music certainly isn't great, but it most definitely is fitting. There are lots of little vocal "chirp" or "chant" type sounds in many of the music tracks, and that kind of gets a bit annoying. If you are homosexual you will probably really like it. Are you homosexual? The game also features the standard Mario voice, with some phrashes stolen from past games as well as new phrases... at least they are new to me. A really nice touch is if you are playing and you close your DS at any time, Mario will say "Goodbye!" right when the DS is closed. When you open it back up you get "It's-a-me, Mario!" which will make you want to hurt him. Mario says other things as well, such as when he completes a stage. I haven't quite deciphered it yet, but it sounds like he's saying "Thanks it so nice uh!" WTF? Speak English, please! Unlike Altered Beast for the Sega Genesis, this game is in stereo.

I wish Bowser would just kill Peach/Toadstool/Daisy. That
way Mario wouldn't try to rescue her and Bowser would win.

Gameplay: 6/10
The gameplay is where the game loses some luster. Although it definitely has its charm, its execution is very poor. For one, the controls are among the worst in all videogamedom. They are sluggish and slippery... it feels like Mario is on ice even when on dry land. Believe it or not there are ice stages where the controls are even worse! And what the hell is the point of a "dash button"? I don't really notice too much difference when it is pressed or not. The underwater levels are so bad that they're not even worth playing at all as you have virtually no control and it takes about a year to get from the beginning to the end of the stage since you move so slowly. Once you get around the incompetent programming of the controls, the game does offer some fun. Collecting all of the giant coins is the main objective of the game, and that allows you to unlock more stages. Other stages you must get to by finding an alternative exit in a previous stage. This does add longevity to the game if you try to unlock everything, and many of the giant coins are extremely tough to obtain. The game itself is fairly easy for the most part, but it needs to be when the controls are this bad, so I don't hold the difficulty against it. One thing that is kind of annoying to me is that I must touch the bottom screen to use my spare item. I can't just press another button like I can on the SNES Super Mario World. The touch screen is far away from the buttons and I must look at the screen to see where to touch. In other words, the touch screen in this game is 100% gimmick. It actually makes the game a bit worse. Also I have yet to figure out the purpose of the red coins.

An albino Kirby is in the game. All albinos are up to no good.

Wrap up:
Not worth the hype, but what Mario game that's been made in the last 8 years has been?
Old 05-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #1090
George Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Also I have yet to figure out the purpose of the red coins.
The red coins give you an item depending on what size you are(a mushroom if you are Mario, a fireflower if you are Super Mario, and a 1up mushroom if you are Fire Mario).

If I were reviewing this game I'd probably give it a higher score(like an 8), but I'm too lazy so .
Old 05-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #1091
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

I haven't beaten this game yet but for some reason I'm not having near the trouble controlling Mario as you seem to be. The water levels seem to control very much like the first Super Mario Bros where you have to constantly tap the jump button to swim. It takes a bit to get Mario to switch direction but that doesn't seem new.
The music does indeed suck. I do like the music in the castles and ghost houses. Have you noticed that when the human voices chirp in the music all the enemies on screen stutter or do some action along with the chirp?

As this isn't the best 2D Mario game out there I find it to be quite enjoyable and I would much rather play this than any 3D Castlevania or Ratchet and Daxter or Jak and Clank or whatever.
Long live 2D!!!
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #1092
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I also like the music in the Houses and Castles. It sucks when you try to get Mario to stop. He slides. Maybe this is because I spent next to no time playing Super Mario Bros 1, which is one of my least favorite games of all time.

George, this game would get an 8 if Mario didn't slide. I have no problem making Mario swim, but controlling his direction and making him turn around is a damn chore, especially with the kamikaze fish.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:34 PM   #1093
EggplantWizard
I hate the N Team.

I pretty much agree with everything you said there. It's very apparent that Nintendo was trying to milk the SMB retro nostalgia, hence the crappy physics. I'm sure if you spent a lot of time playing SMB it'd make sense. I did, but I still agree that SMB is one of my least favorites. There's some things that just do not translate well to the present day.
EggplantWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:59 PM   #1094
George Foreman

That might be what I enjoy about the game because the first game was my favorite of the series. However, I agree with you about the underwater levels(so maybe I'd give it a 7).
Old 05-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #1095
Risky
Stop right there criminal scum!

The control is spot-on with the first NES game and part 3, I just played through both this past week and thing is, you have to get Mario's momentum going to get anywhere.
Risky is offline   Reply With Quote