The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 02-13-2006, 02:08 AM   #976
Seraph
>:3

Ever play Cotton 100%? I love the character cotton, shes cute.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:16 AM   #977
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Is that the SNES version? I'd like to try it. I've heard that it wasn't as good as the original Cotton, which 100% is actually based on. I'd also like to try Cotton Boomerang and play a little bit more of Rainbow Cotton.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:32 AM   #978
Seraph
>:3

its a side scrolling shooter (like R-Type).
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #979
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Good review Joe. Keep all 8 and 16-bit reviews coming.

I remember people ragging on the DC version, Rainbow Cotton. They would say that it sucks compared to Panorama Cotton because your witch can't fire as fast and the control is way to loose. In reality it isn't much worse than Panorama Cotton. Since I have now played both of them I know that Rainbow Cotton is harder to control but not by much. I really do favor the side scrolling Cottons over the 3D ones and I would place Cotton 100% and Cotton Original over Panorama and Rainbow Cotton in the enjoyment factor. Don't get me wrong because these Panorama and Rainbow are good games but just not as enjoyable to play in my humble opinion.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 02:56 PM   #980
Paper exe
Pwnd

What!!!!11!
And I thought Rainbow Cotton for DC was very rare and I am the only one in the forums that own it or even know about it!
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #981
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

I don't know how rare Rainbow Cotton is Paper. I've got it and I know a shop owner here in Colorado has atleast 1 copy brand new. I think he is asking $65 for it though. It's pricey but then again it is an import.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:28 PM   #982
Joe Redifer
Olé!

True Swing Golf
7/10
Nintendo DS

Ha ha notice the super clever inclusion of the stylus ha ha!

First of all let me express how surprised I am that you're actually reading a review about a golf game. You must really be bored. In real life, golf is a game for codgers who hate exercise or things that move too quickly (which might confuse their slow brain). Golf is similar to sitting on the porch watching the lawn grow, or maybe croquet. But videogame golf is actually fun! You can get through 18 holes in less than 5 years, it requires strategy and even less exercise than the real "sport". That makes golf games a winner in my book.

Look at those trees! Am I watching an HDTV broadcast?

Graphics: 4/10
Ewwwwwww!!! These graphics can be quite nasty, full of very large pixels, chunky polygons and low resolution textures. Just look at the screenshots. Go on, look! The ball flight camera is pretty cool, as are the pre-hole fly-bys. But what ruin these things are how the polygons are redrawn again and again as they get closer. They go from worse to bad to kind of bad. At least the game has hills (well kind of), and the graphics of the bottom screen are decent when you swing the club and all that crap. One big problem is that you can see the marker for the hole when you are putting, but sometimes you can't see the hole itself. The marker floats above where the hole is, so you have to guess how far down it really is. Suck!

This game reminds me of a combination of other golf games.
Which ones, you ask? Who cares?!!

Sound: 7/10
Unfortunately Iron Maiden backed out of this project at the last minute, and the producers tried to get Paul McCartney, but he didn't need any weed money that month so he declined. The music is generally pleasant just like it is in real golf. There is an unseen crowd of about 16 people that clap when you do something neat. These people are not the sharpest tacks on the planet though. Say that you're putting for albatross or eagle like I always do. Your putt gets closer and closer to the hole, and then misses it by less than an inch! It takes the crowd about 4 or 5 seconds to go "Awwww!!" In real golf the crowd is usually in sync with the actual putt.

As you can tell by the Japanese katakana, I did not take my own
pictures for this review. That's why I hate reviewing DS games.

Gameplay: 7/10
First off I must say that it is really fun swinging the clubs with the touch screen. It works pretty well and you don't mess up like you think you would. Selecting your shot distance and landing target is also quite fun and easy. If you rub your stylus on the bottom screen overhead map, the top 3D view of the course automatically follows where you touch. That's pretty damn cool, I say! You can buy new clubs and balls and lots of stupid stuff like that. The putting is pretty cool once you get used to it (after maybe 2 or 3 holes). It is super easy to judge the green thanks to a line showing exactly the route your ball will take. The only thing that makes putting difficult is the lack of the hole on certain occasions like I described elsewhere. You can add a bit of spin to the ball before the swing which seems to help, or you can use a special power up (like a "super shot" that glows, etc) if you've earned it, which doesn't seem to do much as far as I can tell. I find this unrealistic because in real golf the power ups do so much more. The Championship mode is pretty cool and that's how you earn money, but it can get really hard really fast. In the upper levels you'll find that the wind rarely blows slower than 10 miles per hour, which is completely retarded. I like how sometimes you are playing a hole, let's say hole #13, and everything is bright and sunny... has been for the 12 previous holes as well. Then on hole #14 you are playing in a downpour (and of course music can't play during rain. That's impossible). Hole #15 everything is sunny and dry as a bone again. This can happen often. I understand that it is realistic for golfers to play in the rain since golfers are born and bred to be morons, but what is NOT realistic about this game is that the golfer is never, ever struck by lightning and killed. It happens all the time in real life and it sure would make this game more fun!

Now whack that ball like a mofo!

Wrap up:
This is BY FAR the best golf game yet on the Nintendo DS portable video game system. It is made by T&E Soft, makers of nothing but golf games (and Super Hydlide for the Genesis), but distributed in the US by Nintendo. For some reason the MSRP on this game is $35, which is awfully high for a Nintendo-released game. Those whores. Oh yeah, this game has wireless multi-play as well, which is cool. But no online. Who cares? Also, I liked the Japanese name of this game (Touch Golf) much better than the American. This game does not involve any true swings of any sort.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:38 PM   #983
gearhound
Versus the World

"Your putt gets closer and closer to the hole, and then misses it by less than an inch! It takes the crowd about 4 or 5 seconds to go "Awwww!!"

that is hilarious! i take it you own this game, joe?
Old 02-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #984
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yep. Paid my $34.95 and I forgot to lube before I went into the store!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:11 AM   #985
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

If Iron Maiden was in this game the sound quality would probably be as good as those sweet trees are good looking.
The game is fun to play and I do like it. It's even fun to play with a friend via WIFI even if you only play 9 holes. Sometimes I wonder why my friend only wants to play games with me for very short periods of time. He always says "I have to leave so I don't get caught in rush hour traffic!" This is a complete lie as he could just hang out for an extra 2 hours and we could get some massive gaming together while he waits for traffic to die down. But what do I know about it?
Old 02-15-2006, 02:11 AM   #986
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It sounds like you have shitty friends. Maybe you attract shitty people?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:24 AM   #987
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

I know. I sometimes wonder if I should ditch them and find some new ones. I'm too lazy.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:12 AM   #988
Nindalf

I can be your friend.

:'(
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #989
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

I don't know Nindalf, I already have a pet dog.

Actually if you ever move to Colorado look me up and we can hang out and eat peanut butter and jellies and get my controllers sticky with jelly.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:59 AM   #990
Ryu1Revline
Don't let them starve

Joe, I have some questions about True Swing Golf:

1. Do the characters have different strengths and weaknesses?
2. Can you create your own character?
3. Is the gameplay balanced? Easy? Difficult?

Thanks in advance.
Ryu1Revline is offline   Reply With Quote