The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #961
gearhound
Versus the World

Lunar is one of the greatest RPGs i have ever payed and incorporates one magnificent story. yes, Lunar is better than PSIV, AND PS4 is nowhere near as good of an RPG like FFIV or VI.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #962
Joe Redifer
Olé!

That must explain why the Final Fantasy SNES games couldn't hold my interest beyond 20 minutes.

Lunar's story was gay. What made it even more gay was the gay song.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:41 PM   #963
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

I will agree with the gay song remark. I really liked the story though.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:29 PM   #964
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well OK SavedFromSin, at least you agree that the song is gay.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:52 AM   #965
Kamui079

hey joe, this is gamer from kikizo, think you could cook up a review of Jewel Master for Genesis for me? I loved that game when i was younger.
Kamui079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:06 AM   #966
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I would love to but I don't have access to that game right now. Well I suppose I could play it on an emulator. You may have to twist my arm, though.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #967
Kamui079

*twist twist* you will play it! :kill:
Kamui079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:56 PM   #968
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Actually I do want to play it, as it has been about 10 or more years since I last have....
Old 01-18-2006, 02:06 AM   #969
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well, I can't find my USB pad, and it sucks playing with the keyboard. Somebody please send me the original game (complete, near mint). Thanks.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #970
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

You can borrow my USB pad. Just blow the dust off it first.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 PM   #971
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Hmmm... I forgot to check under the dust over here! That's exactly where it would be, too! Maybe when I'm not lazy I'll check.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #972
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
That must explain why the Final Fantasy SNES games couldn't hold my interest beyond 20 minutes.

Lunar's story was gay. What made it even more gay was the gay song.
that's because you're gay, joe
Old 01-25-2006, 07:30 PM   #973
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Nah, I just don't like crappy games. Sorry.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #974
gearhound
Versus the World

ff4 and ff6 are far from crappy games. just think, some people think ps4 is crap. but who? hell if i know; i'm not one of them.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #975
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Panorama Cotton
8/10
Sega Genesis

The game comes in a regular sized
clamshell box instead of the typical
really-cool super-small Sunsoft box.

Yes, another Genesis game. I promise I'll do a non-Genesis game next. Please don't hate me. What am I saying? I am impossible to hate. You'll take what I give you and you'll love it! And today I am giving you a review of Panorama Cotton, a game that is quite rare and never ever ever had a release outside of that Japan place. On average Panorama Cotton commands about $135 or so on eBay. Fortunately I got my copy for considerably less than $100, shipping included, complete. Add in the limited edition tea cup and prices go even higher. But who cares about a tea cup? Probably only homeless people and/or rapists. Anyway Cotton is a "cute 'em up" which means a it's a cute shooter and you play as a girl. It's probably as close to touching a girl as you're ever going to get. Anyway you play as a witch who likes to eat lots of candy. When the candy makes her vomit she attacks everyone and everything with her super-hot fairy friend Silk. Awesome.

You can stay on this route or go up. Which will it be?
Graphics are almost as good as Super Thunder Blade.

Graphics: 9/10
Panorama Cotton does quite a few things which you're not used to seeing in Genesis games like Mortal Kombat or FIFA Soccer. Instead, this game has good graphics which is a novel approach used in many first and third party games. You get some real scaling as well as some fake scaling, 3 independent and overlapping layers of scrolling and lots of other crap. The fake scaling is pretty well animated and not choppy at all, even when flying at the slowest speeds. The graphics are very colorful... (wait for it)... for a Genesis game! I hate it when people say that. The game is very colorful even if it were an Xbox360 game. It's just colorful. Deal with it. The designs are all really cool and I like the crazy whimsical style of the enemies. Not much flicker or slowdown, either. It loses a point because it is not in 720p or higher for some bizarre reason.

You can shoot down the bridge in the background while fighting the first boss.

Sound: 9/10
There are some that say that this game is presented in Q-Sound. I can't find any evidence of this (ie: no Q-Sound logo on the box or manual, etc) but the stereo separation is generally pretty good. The music is great with themes that have good hooks and even a little Asian flava thrown in for you Asian people. I like the Asian-themed music quite a bit myself. The drum samples are fantastic and they can really boom at certain points. Overall the music is fantastic! Yes... for a Genesis game. We all know for a fact that the Genesis makes the worst sound that has ever been made on this planet. Worse than the NES, worse than the Atari 2600, everybody hates the Genesis. Yes, the SNES is super-orgasmic and has no flaws. Now shut the hell up already. Anyway I wish I knew who the composer was, but the credits are in Japanese. The sound effects are typical and there are quite a few spoken phrases in the game. There is an option to have the music cut out when a voice is spoken or keep playing. Not sure why. The default is to cut the music, and I like to keep the music going. The sound loses a point becuase it is not in Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 6.1. The voices themselves are all pretty weird. She says a few weird things, but I'm not quite sure what she's saying. Take a listen:
Pizza Bong?
Grabbed in the Balls? (or perhaps "Get in the boat"?)
Tea Time-uh! (The Japanese are incapable of ending words on a hard consonant. No wonder they lost the war.)

The faster you fly through the stage, the more of a time bous you'll get.
Time bouses will give you more life on your meter, and you'll need it!

Gameplay: 8/10
Closer to an 8.4, really, along with the overall score for the game. The only reason I don't score a 9 is that there are only 5 stages. However there are multiple paths within those 5 stages so there is great replay value. It is amazing as there is no lag when choosing a path and it is all done on the fly very quickly. As you can see by the pictures, you fly forward into the screen like Space Harrier, but there are spots where it scrolls horizontally and vertically, even diagonally. Control is great and you can choose NORMAL or REVERSE for the up/down controls. In most games I usually prefer REVERSE but in this game NORMAL works far better because that way it controls much more like Space Harrier. This is not a flight-sim so the REVERSE controls are actually more of a hindrance than anything. Unfortunately it can be hard to see things approaching sometimes since your sprite is in the way. This is a very minor issue because I find that if the person playing is a fantastic individual favored by beautiful women, it won't matter much. Then there are the magics. There are 4 different colored gems you can collect, 3 of which give you a magic (the yellow gives you experience). There are two ways you can use each magic depending if you have charged the fire button or not. I really don't like the red and green magics, but the blue works well since it can act as a shield or a bomb. I usually find myself trying to avoid gems as they succumb to the Parodius syndrome. In Parodius, when the colored bells are on screen and you shoot them, they bounce back and change color. If you don't stop shooting,they can remain onscreen forever and in your way. The same is true with the gems in Panorama Cotton. Just get your level up to 5 and then avoid all but the blue gems.

The boss of level 2 tells you to "Talk to the hand!"
I bet you didn't see that one coming from a mile away.

The bosses and midbosses are pretty fun. One forces you to play a rousing game of rock-paper-scissors with him. How do you do that in a shooter? You'll have to play to find out. And if you're REALLY good and happen to have more than a million points (I think that's what it is, I know it's twice the amount of the default high score) when you beat the game, you can play a special Silk mode where the hotty Silk is now life-size instead of fairy size. She is hot and always wears a bikini, thankfully. There are 3 ever-so-slightly different endings depending on what difficulty level you completed it on. Yeah. But really this is a great game. I love it. You may not, but I don't care. You probably love games like Mortal Kombat. Suck my balls.

Ah crap! I've got a whole bunch o' green magics stored up!

Wrap up:
This is one of the few import games that lives up to the hype it receives. It is supposedly better than Rainbow Cotton, a Dreamcast shooter which is a rip-off of this game, though supposedly much more lackluster in the control and gameplay department. You should play this, but I have read that there is no good ROM dump available. They'll play, but they supposedly have some sort of errors and/or graphical glitches in them. Because of this I had to take the screens here from my actual Genesis via S-video and then crappily compress them into JPEGs. You should send me lots of $$$ as soon as possible for absolutely no reason.