The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 12-26-2005, 09:11 PM   #946
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It doesn't really matter. Go for Monster World IV I guess. I already have a review of that which we can see if you agree with after you beat it. Fortunately Dragon's Curse (Wonder Boy III) and Monster World IV aren't direct sequels, unlike Wonder Boy in Monster Land and Wonder Boy III/Dragon's Curse.

Try not to accidentally play Dragon's Revenge on the Genesis instead!!!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:52 AM   #947
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Phantasy Star III - Generations of Doom
7/10
Sega Genesis

Ummm, is Rhys fighting Wren?
Where exactly is this battle taking place?

Phantasy Star 3 is often called the bastard child of the Phantasy Star series. Many PS fans hate it because it is quite different and doesn't even seem to take place in the same universe as parts 1, 2, and 4. But it is a Phantasy Star game, so I had to get it to complete my collection (I still don't count the wimpy Game Gear and Mega CD versions as being true games in the series, nor do I count Phantasy Star Online). Surprisingly Phantasy Star 3 is pretty good. And it does indeed fit into the other trio of games.

Ooooh a new bridge! Let's walk across... sloooowly!

Story: 8/10
Phantasy Star 3 has always felt like such a lonely game in a lonely world to me. And it really is. I never knew why until I decided to play more than 15 minutes. It seems to me that this mood was intended, and it really works. The story is well done and due to the fact that this is a Choose Your Own Adventure? game, the story changes by who you decide to marry. There are a total of four different endings in the game, enough to warrant some replay value and some freshness. Taking place at roughly the same time as Phantasy Star 4 (or maybe a few decades before, by my guess), the story starts with Rhys, some dude who is about to get married, but his bride gets kidnapped by an evil demon! Because of this, Rhys gets put into the dungeon because the current king is an ass. Rhys escapes and nobody seems to notice or care. Then Rhys goes about killing innocent evil monsters for his own personal gain. He meets some people and they do stuff and things like that happen. The end.

Taking a hint from Phantasy Star 1, the characters are not shown
fighting in combat, but instead their weapon slashes, etc are seen.

Graphics: 7/10
More like a 6.7, but first things first -- THANK YOU Sega for putting actual backgrounds back in the battle scenes. Those blue grids used in Phantasy Star 2 were extremely boring and made the game feel incomplete. The backgrounds here aren't spectacular, but they'll do. Many of them feature scrolling clouds and other crap like that. The graphics of the enemies, however, are just silly. Seriously. These have to be some of the worst designed enemies in any RPG. They don't look menacing and they really look more like brain farts to me. Even Dark Force doesn't look like Dark Force, except for the color. Oh well. The dungeons do not feature the lame overhead pipes of Phantasy Star 2, but feature actual depth in the scrolling which makes them look a little more pleasant. The worlds (and there are many of them) are all done fairly well for what could be expected in an 8 Meg cart. The character walking animations seem to be the most realistic of the Phantasy Star series, not that it matters. The towns all feature giant cookie-cutter houses which don't really fit in the typical Phantasy Star design. Maybe that is why most of these homes are completely abandoned unless it is a shop.

Check out these super lame enemies! Well OK the chick in the lower
right corner has a nice ass, but what the hell is that green thing?
And is a dude balancing a block on his head supposed to be menacing?

Sound: 7/10
The sound effects are a little better here than they were in Phantasy Star 2... for the most part anyway. A new musician takes over (Izuho Takeuchi) whom everybody will immediately recognize without hesitation as the composer of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and would also spearhead the music for Phantasy Star 4. He is more famous than Elton John and less gay as well. The music in Phantasy Star 3 is pretty darn good and creates a very lonely feel in most areas. Not every tune is a winner but then again neither are you, so everything should be fine. It was interesting how the overworld music added or lost instruments depending on how many people you had in your party. Some of the music seems almost a bit distorted, though. It's fairly loud. The music that plays when you are flying around in Wren is really cool and rivals the Phantasy Star 4 landmaster theme.

But how can a computer control the weather when the sun
does that? Unless... no I don't want to give any spoilers.

Gameplay: 7/10
This is the first RPG with multiple endings. Sega is always the first. Sega kicks ass. What? Oh yeah, Phantasy Star 3's gameplay. The first thing you'll notice is that this game moves at a snail's pace. Characters walk around VERY slowly which can be a bit annoying, especially since the developers make sure you must go the loooong way to get to any certain point. But my view may be distorted since I played through part 4 where everyone runs at 100mph right before playing through this game. Each character still has their own inventory just like in Phantasy Star 2, so if you find a piece of gear in a treasure chest, you must navigate menus giving it to each character just to see who can even equip it. But this is also the first Phantasy Star game in which more than 4 characters can join your party at a time. You do a lot of traveling and it can be a bit daunting to remember which world is which and what portal leads to where. Oh, and the battles. The battles are pretty easy to deal with, and I played through most of the game without ever using any techniques (ie: magic) on the enemies. Be careful though, because the game RARELY lets you run away from a fight. It's best not to even try. In addition, the enemies almost always get the first attack in, and much of the time they even attack twice before you strike your first blow. There can be up to 10 enemies on a single screen, and some of them (very leisurely) attack each and every member of your party. Because of this if you have 5 members and stumble into a battle, it can sometimes be close to a minute before you are even allowed to decide what to do. And when you decide, the enemy will usually attack again. Ug! But still, it does get pretty engrossing, despite being shorter than all of the other Phantasy Star games. However I'd say the multiple generations add replay value and make up for that fact. Who needs their RPGs to last for 100 hours anyway? Not I.

Hurry, quick! Outside the window is an individual
with normal-colored hair! How very, very strange!

Wrap Up:
Phantasy Star 3 was a surprisingly good game for me. I think it is a must play if you are a true Phantasy Star fan. It is still probably the weakest game in the series, though part 2 really didn't blow my mind. I should give it one point higher than part 2 due to the replayability, but I'm too lazy to do that.

To read my review of Phantasy Star click HERE.
To read my review of Phantasy Star 2 click HERE.
To read my review of Phantasy Star 3, learn to read since you are already reading it.
To read my review of Phantasy Star 4 click HERE.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:55 PM   #948
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Oooohhh! I'm so happy as I am about to embark on my first ever journey into the 8bit and 16bit Phantasy Star realm. I just received my copy of Phantasy Star(SMS) from some shmoe on Ebay who accidentally left a $100 bill in the instruction manual. I feel all gooey inside! I think I'm going to barf because I am so happy.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 11:21 PM   #949
Joe Redifer
Olé!

That's odd. Usually I leave my $100 bills inside the cartridge itself, not the manuals.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:48 AM   #950
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

That would be awesome if it really happened.
I would be like "Yeah!!!! I kick ass!"
Old 12-30-2005, 04:10 AM   #951
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Hmmm, I never really got into PSIII, even though I bought the strategy guide for it and was hyped up about the game before it was released. I think that I rented it and spent the rest of my money on the X-Men ~ Children of the Atom arcade.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:09 PM   #952
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer

Just beat Monster World IV and I must say that it was a great experience. Worth the $30 I paid for it on Ebay? HELL YEAH!! A lot of people would say that these games are to easy. They are right this was a very easy game but in my old age I like a game that is nice and easy sometimes. Don't get me wrong because I still like a good challenge but I don't get bored like a lot of you young ones when a game isn't challenging enough for you.
Everything in Joes review is very well stated. A few gripes I had about the game but aren't really important are when opening chests the animation takes to long. Also climbing chains takes to long. The dungeons should have a few better placed save points and a few more save points. A few times I died and had to start WAY back because of not save points. In Wonder boy in Monster World if you push down the character lays down and you can swing your sword. His shield is automatic. I like that! In Monster World IV pushing down pulls up the shield and the character stops in her tracks. I don't like that. The game is too short! I feel like I missed a world or two. Like I said these are all very minor complaints that barely barely take away from the enjoyment of this great game. Emulate it if you must although you are only cheating yourself of the true experience.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #953
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Actually if you tap UP on the controller, you climb chains/ropes much faster. I found myself needing to do that a lot in that Aegis Island stage, the carnival-looking one. One thing I do wish the game let me do is revisit any stage once I've completed them, but I can't. That would have added replayability, but I'm sure I'll go through this game multiple times in the future.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:48 PM   #954
Alexander
I speak with codes.

I just bought Phantasy Star I, II, and IV. ( I already had III )

So far I'm loving the first one. Your tastes are similar to mine, Joe, so I follow your reviews closely. I love how money is so important is PS and you can't just run crazy outside of town the second you start the game. You'll get your ass kicked if you play it like any new RPG.
Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:24 AM   #955
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yeah I know. You really need to work yourself up. It doesn't take long, but you can't even go into the trees at first!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:47 AM   #956
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Hey Joe, I found a Genesis for $20. What games should I get?

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:02 AM   #957
Joe Redifer
Olé!

*sigh*

Just off the top of my head:

Altered Beast
Space Harrier II
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Tommy Lasorda Baseball
Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf
Super Hang-On
Rambo III
Forgotten Worlds
Mystic Defender
Revenge of Shinobi
Golden Axe 1, 2 and 3 (might as well have them all)
Phantasy Star 2, 3 and 4
Truxton
Curse
Herzog Zwei
Target Earth
Whip Rush
Thunder Force 2, 3 and 4 (known as 'Lightening Force')
E-Swat
Batman
Ghostbusters
Phelios
Strider (Japanese version preferred)
John Madden Football (the one without a year)
Castle of Illusion
Sword of Vermilion
Shadow Dancer
Granada
Gaiares
M.U.S.H.A.
Midnight Resistance
Valis, Valis III
Wings of Wor
Sonic 1, 2, 3
Sonic and Knuckles
Zero Wing
Streets of Rage 1 and 2 (maybe 3 if you want the whole set)
El Viento
Decapattack starring Chuck D. Head
Road Rash (the first one)
Ms Pac Man
Devil Hunter Yohko
Quackshot
Joe Montana Sports Talk Football (pick one)
Elemental Master
Kid Chameleon
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Trouble Shooter
Battle Mania 2
Splatter House 2 and 3
Dragon's Fury (or Devil Crash MD)
World of Illusion
Shinobi III
Rocket Kight Adventures
Street Fighter II (either Champion or Super)
Gunstar Heroes
Gauntlet IV
Treasure Land Adventure
Socket
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Mega Turrican
Virtua Racing
Sparkster
Ristar
Comix Zone
Earthworm Jim
Monster World IV
Rockman: Megaworld (Megaman the Wiley Wars)
Alien Soldier

and a Game Genie.

Be sure to have them all by Friday.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #958
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Cool thanks. I will make sure and buy all of those by friday.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:40 AM   #959
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I?ll be the witness, Joe. If he does not get of hold of all of those titles by Friday he deserves a banning.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #960
gearhound
Versus the World

i didn't care for the battles in PS III. overall, it isn't as good as II or IV. it does have good graphics and music though. i never beat III.