The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 10-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #766
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I'm just the opposite. I liked Nintendogs but just couldn't get into Animal Crossing no matter how hard I tried.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:22 PM   #767
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

And how hard did you actually try? I remember Animal Crossing taking a little while before it started to get really fun.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:22 PM   #768
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The game takes that long to get in to? I didn't try THAT hard, nor would I. I want to have a reason to keep the game powered up for an hour, and to me it just seemed so bizarre. I could not releate to the alien-boy I was controlling nor his weird alien world.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:48 AM   #769
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The King of Fighters '95
7/10
Sega Saturn

Da full package!

"Just another King of Fighters game" is something you might say. In general, I wouldn't blame you. But this one is a bit special because it requires the included cartridge for the game to play. It is not a RAM cartridge like those used with other Saturn fighting games, but instead a ROM cartridge that actually contains part of the game data just like a cartridge for the old 16-bit and 8-bit game systems. Rumor has it that the cartridge contains all of the backgrounds and some other odd data on it so that the RAM can be dedicated to the character sprites and animation. If anyone has better information as to what exists on the cartridge, please let me know! Now let's take a look at the game that can not be played with a region converter:

These two nutsacks fight over who has the more outrageous hairdo.

Story: 0/10
Stories in fighting games are about as useful as a VCR with a toupee. Instead of a bunch of people simply getting together to participate in an elimination fighting match to see who is the best, each character has their own personal agendas which somehow only fighting in this tournament can resolve. I'm sure that the fate of the entire world likely hangs in the balance of the outcome as well. Stories in fighting games are stupid. Fortunately this game doesn't spend much time at all on the stories.

The King of Fighters '95 comes with everything you see here!

Graphics: 7/10
Fantastic graphics have really never found their way into any SNK-made fighting game (sorry SNK fans, but it's the truth. Actually I'm not sorry, I take it back). They have always been rough around the edges (literally) and lack the smooth colors that the Neo Geo can produce. But these games were designed back in the day when SNK had to pump out no less than 100 fighting games per week so they really couldn't be bothered to take the time to make any of them look special. The graphics are replicated perfectly from the Neo Geo on the Saturn, but there are small black bars on each side of the screen due to the Neo's lower-than-Saturn resolution. They are not distracting in the least. All of the animation seems to be there, as every character definitely has many frames of animation. The backgrounds all have multiple layers and whatnot. There are no special FMV intros or anything like that added to the Saturn version. And yes, there is blood in this version.

The loser of this match must make sweet love to Rosie O'Donnell.

Sound: 6/10
Well... hmmm... What to say about the sound? All of the voices are here and sound the same as the Neo Geo version as far as I can tell (just a bunch of Japanese phrases shouted out and an announcer). Nothing seems too compressed or scratchy. The music is slightly arranged. I say "slightly" because some tracks sound exactly like the Neo Geo itself, others sound like the Neo Geo but with a few better sounding instruments here and there, and others have completely new instruments that the Neo Geo could not produce clearly. The music is alright. There are only 3 or 4 Neo Geo games that have great music and this certainly isn't one of them, not even after a few sonic improvements here and there. What do you think of that? Well?

Amazingly Terry Bogard CANNOT use his ponytail as a weapon.

Gameplay: 7/10
It's an SNK fighting game. Control is a bit funky as with all KoF games since they deliberately make an attempt not to rip off button combinations from Capcom games. Once you get past that, the game plays fairly smooth. You can play single mode, in which you play with one character versus another single character for the best 2 out of 3, like most fighting games (except Dead or Alive which is best 1 out of 1 for some reason, probably because Itagaki likes short, EASY games, that wimp). You can also elect to play TEAM battles, from which you can pick 3 members from a huge selection and go fight other teams of 3. I don't really care much for this mode. It works nowhere near as well as the Capcom "VS" series (SNK has never been as good as Capcom at anything they have ever done simply because they are SNK and for no other reason). But if you like it then you should know that there is a brief (2 seconds, MAX) loading time when one character dies and another comes in to take their place. The load time during the switch is really quick, but it is jarring because the developers decided to switch to a load screen during this instead of just staying paused on the stage graphics. Even the music picks up right where it left off. If they had streamed the music instead of having CD-DA music, there would be no reason to even stop the music during the load, though the load might take a nanosecond or two longer that way. It is amazing that I am smarter than SNK. Actually, no it isn't. Of course you have your typical two player modes as well. If you like King of Fighters '95 specifically, then you can do no better than this version at home. Well, unless you have the Neo Geo version, but that doesn't count because I said so.

Look! It's my 1st generation US Saturn running KoF '95 without a
converter! This pic is not a deception, the game is actually running.

Wrap up:
I bought this back in the Saturn's heyday mainly for collector's reasons (I saw it used at a game shop in Boulder, complete). I don't regret purchasing it, and I liked the series enough to get KoF '96 and '97 for the Saturn. And no, just because I purchased this game in Boulder does not mean I have any connection with the Jon Bonet Ramsey murder.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:53 AM   #770
Paper exe
Pwnd

From some months ago my cousin gave me this game for free just after he bought it. The reasons are obvious and it was because the game only cost him about $10 and it doesn?t work on his US Saturn and only I have the cool Japanese Saturn.

Last edited by Paper exe; 10-03-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #771
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The Japanese Saturn is indeed cool. Much better startup sequence than the US one, and the US start sequence is pretty cool.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:40 PM   #772
Nindalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
The King of Fighters '95
7/10
Sega Saturn.
This game was very popular in Japan.

Everything popular in Japan must be good.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:28 PM   #773
Paper exe
Pwnd

Joe, how can you take your own pictures of the games that you own? Is it magic? Can you tell me how can I do it? I really want to post my own pictures instead of going low and stealing it from a site.
Can a normal human like me do it? If so, then how?
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 04:43 PM   #774
Seraph
>:3

Would you reccomend playing 95 if all i have played was 98? Am i missing out?
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #775
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper exe
Joe, how can you take your own pictures of the games that you own? Is it magic? Can you tell me how can I do it?
I'm sorry but I cannot teach magic over the internet. Maybe on the internet2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The heavily biased seraph830
Would you reccomend playing 95 if all i have played was 98? Am i missing out?
I don't recall ever playing '98. I know '96 was pretty good, but I was disappointed in '97. I liked '95 more than '97.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:40 PM   #776
Drunken Savior

Super Awesome Review Joe!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:52 PM   #777
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
The heavily biased seraph830
Dang straight.

And thanks joe, i might try it out since i wasnt to fond of KoF98.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:36 AM   #778
Alucard

94-98 were awesome. Although if you go from 98 to 95 you might get a big shock. All the systems were different and you die VERY fast in 95. You could also do alot more combos via the step option. And it had EIJI! I played all of them up to 98 in the arcades and it was a bloody FEAST for the senses when beating people and watching them put more andmore money in to try and beat you. I was a bloody KING.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:28 AM   #779
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

Quote:
I'm just the opposite. I liked Nintendogs but just couldn't get into Animal Crossing no matter how hard I tried.
I just bought Nintendogs the other day. I slowly felt my man hood slip away afterwards.

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:22 AM   #780
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Oh yes! KoF'95 for Saturn is a great game. I don't know what you have against the soundtrack but I enjoyed it. Remember that, unlike Capcom, SNK usually creates new soundtracks for most of their games and sequels. On the other hand, Capcom tends to recycle the music (and the sprites...) from previous games.