The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 09-30-2005, 03:57 AM   #751
Paper exe
Pwnd

I also stuck on that level, because of me going left thinking that it is a short cut instead of realizing that it is nothing more then a trap. The shame.

At first I hated Monkey ball, but I was young back then, but when I grew up I played it again I had a lot of fun, because I no longer hate a game for being challenging.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:50 AM   #752
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Thanks for the ninja music. Now I can jump rooftops at night to the stereophonic sounds of Psychic Killer!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:59 AM   #753
Seraph
>:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Speed is the key.
maybe thats my problem. I have a bad habit of going at a snails pace through most stages (i cant help it im too carefull). Thank you joe

does speed help with other things too? I noticed that guitar level (the one where you have the option of going down multiple guitar stings). Is the smallest guitar string even possible to do?

(im sorry im asking so many questions in your review thread)
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:53 PM   #754
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The key to navigating the teeny tiny thin rails is to use BABY as your monkey. Stare at him and make sure he is in the center of the rail. Since he is so small it is easier to see where the center actually is.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:12 PM   #755
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Burnout Revenge
9/10
Xbox

Such a bland box for a great game.

This is videogame crack. I have an extremely difficult time putting this game down. It's always "Just one more" again and again. Despite that EA and Criterion pumped this game out in just one year's time, they did a remarkably good job on it. Hell, it's called Burnout REVENGE not Burnout 4, so I wasn't entirely sure that this would even count as a real game, but instead more of a lame offshoot, like "Joey" is to "Friends". But no, this is a real game, not just a shortened watered-down version of the real thing. In this game you race and crash at very high speeds. You don't have any weapons affixed to your car or pick up items to damage other players/boost your powers like those lesser games. In this game your car is your only weapon.

Just like real life, rules do not apply to you and there are no consequences.

Graphics: 9/10
The graphics this time around are slightly better than Burnout 3. The fake motion blur is less ridiculous and the sense of speed is even more incredible. Of course widescreen and 480p are supported, and this version seems to stretch 4:3 screens less than Burnout 3 did, so even menu screens look more natural as a result. When you crash, parts fly and glass shatters. The animation and 3rd person camera are great when this happens, looks just like a real wreck without the dead bodies. The game never slows down as far as I can tell, and it runs at lightning speed and everything is quite nicely detailed. There are very few textures here that could be considered "low resolution" and there are FAR fewer blatant EA advertisings and the such in this game, thankfully. I did see the Carl's Jr logo on the side of a truck that I rammed off the road, though. Unfortunately there still are no real cars. Oh how I'd love to total a Lamborghini Countach or Diablo. But if manufacturers (supposedly) don't allow car damage in games like Gran Theft Turismo 4, then they'd freak out about a game like Burnout. I think they should just bite the bullet and add real cars next time. An Xbox360 version of Burnout is coming (not sure if it is this game or a new game) but I want to see people in the cars, bodies (and pieces of them) fly. I want pedestrians wandering all over the place so I can run over them for points.

You can use the Crashbreaker in some races now to make sure there is even more carnage.

Sound: 10/10
Burnout Revenge has perhaps the best sound design I've ever heard in a videogame. This game sounds absolutely amazing in Dolby Digital and DEMANDS to be played at a high volume. If you do not play this at a high volume, you are a horrible human being and I hope 1,000 wasps make a nest inside your mouth... you deserve it. Every speaker is active as cars and other objects whoosh by. Low frequencies exists in every channel, even the surrounds, so I hope you have speakers that can handle some bass. In addition to that, a dedicated, discrete subwoofer lets you know when you smash into something by caving your chest in. The surrounds are very active, and there is even a lot of activity in the EX channel (back surrounds) which is fairly rare for a videogame. If you have your speakers placed properly and your system levels set correctly, you are in for an audio experience like no other. Most people have them set up incorrectly, and what's worse is that they think it's set up correctly. Of course my setup is perfect because I am elite (actually my room could be a bit longer). Anyway I debated on whether to give the SOUND rating a 9 or a 10. I was going to give it a 9 because although the built-in music is better than Burnout 3, it's certainly not up to par with everything else. However you can add your own music to fix this. I recommend some fast-paced techno like Yuzo Koshiro's Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 2. PERFECTION! It's fast and fits perfectly with the game. If you have something on your hard drive like Jimmy Buffet, Ridge Racer 4 (heh), Air Supply, or Super Mario World, it just doesn't work. Get some of your favorite fast paced music on there (it doesn't have to be 73,483 BPM mind you, just something that makes you feel ENERGY). As an added bonus EA removed the lame DJ from Burnout 3 (I think the actual guy was murdered by game players). Unfortunately you STILL have to deselect the default EA Trax every time you power up the game for some bizarre reason, but at least it is fairly quick and easy.

Is there someone in your lane who is going too slow? Not for long. Try this at home.

Gameplay: 9/10
This is what videogaming is all about. Adrenaline pumping fast-paced action that is more addicting than heroin. This game is FAST! You can now crash into traffic that is going in the same direction you are, and in fact you are rewarded for it. Just don't think that you can take out buses or tractor trailers. But bashing into other cars is a good way to get some boost when you need it. There are even stages dedicated to bashing into traffic. You get double points of if there is a baby in the car you caused to crash and QUADRUPLE points in the baby happens to be innocent. I like this game. Unfortunately you are still stuck with only ONE method of control and cannot change the controller settings, just like Burnout 3. There is a lot of variety just like in Burnout 3 to keep you from getting bored. You don't race the same types of races again and again. Each has their own objectives: beat the clock, beat your opponents, kill your opponents, murder babies and grandmothers and so on. The AI seems much better here than it was in Burnout 3. It doesn't seem as "rubberbandy". If you fall behind you may have a hard time catching up. But if you are a superior human being like I am, then there is always a chance. Burnout Revenge is a game where it can come down to the very last second and anything can happen. Almost everything seems improved upon from Burnout 3. Everything except the Crash stages. The Crash stages in Burnout 3 were absolutely perfect in my opinion with the death of many millions of babies improperly fastened into their car seats in the traffic you blew into. It was great. But they decided to make it less fun by adding a golf swing meter just to start your car, removing the multipliers and making you tap the B button like a crackwhore having a seizure to set off your crashbreaker. It's definitely the low point of the game, but at least you can use the crashbreaker multiple times in a single stage if you are good enough. After you get used to it, then the Crash mode is kind of fun. I would have given this game a 10 if it had Burnout 3's crash mode. Still, don't let that deter you. You are in for a wicked-fast arcade "racing" game that will kick your ass and let you kick even more. This is way better than John Madden Football, Suikoden, or even Kid Icarus! You may say "OMG but Joe you can't compare those games because they are soooo different. Whine whine whine!" Yes, they can be compared. Why? By the amount of FUN you have, of course! I have more fun with Burnout Revenge than I do with Kid Icarus, so therefore Burnout Revenge is better. It's as easy as that. Remember that my opinions are the best opinions that can be had, otherwise I would have different opinions. Oh... this game is also playable online via Xbox Live, but who cares?

In 1988, if this game came out for the NES and somehow looked, sounded
and played exactly like this, what would you do with yourself?

Wrap up:
I am addicted to Burnout Revenge and writing this review is part of my 12-step program.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 09-30-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:45 PM   #756
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

That was fun to read. My brother tried this game and said the same thing, "It's like videogame crack," which is exactly what he thought of Nintendogs. So, would you say that Burnout Revenge looks as good as RalliSport 2?
Old 10-01-2005, 06:12 PM   #757
Joe Redifer
Olé!

As far as realism, no. Rallisport 2 still takes the cake when it comes closest to looking like a photograph. But as far as speed, hell yeah! I didn't think Nintendogs was very addictive. I'm down to playing it once per week now. There's just not much to do.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:21 PM   #758
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Mmmm, just as I suspected. Once you understood it, Nintendogs becomes a lot like a Tamogachi (don't care if that's misspelled). In other words, you've done everything, so where's the replay value?
Old 10-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #759
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

There is a lot of collecting to do and that is what keeps people playing games like Nintendogs and Animal Crossing. It's fun, for some, to try and collect everything the game has to offer even if it means massive repetition.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:38 PM   #760
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Yeah, but the collecting relies on random chance. It is fun for a bit, but it gets really boring walking the dogs, running in to the same people who say the same things ALL THE TIME and there is no way to avoid them. If I could walk and do nothing but pick up presents it would be more enjoyable. I notice a lot of slowdown when two dogs meet, but sometimes there is no slowdown.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:23 PM   #761
Alucard

I was really impressed with Revenge aswell. They did HEAPS of work on it, especially the presentation. Totally overhauled it, unlike other companies that just make a few little changes here and their and call it a sequel. The games very cool.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:28 AM   #762
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Hence the massive repetition. People still find it fun just based on the chance they will get something good.
It's kind of like going to thrift stores in real life. 1 out of every 10 tries you will find something that is worth having. You still have to make the effort though.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:22 AM   #763
Paper exe
Pwnd

I am a huge Animal Crossing fan, but I still didn't really like Nintendogs. I don't think the genre have anything to do with it. Animal Crossing just have so many things to do and there are a lot of different way to collect stuff and there is also special events and some you don't know when it would happen like raining or and old Animal visiting or even that bird that can be found in the beach etc. There is also NES games. I always play them to kill time until Tom Noke open his shop. There is also fishing and catching bugs and I think it is fun searching for them and then trying to catch them and there is also the Tailors. I can make my own cloths and in an easy and simple way etc.
What Nintendogs have? Going in a walk that spend long and you may or you may not even have the chance to get a present. Even thought I am in the beginning, I still get items that I already have. The Dog also gets tired if I played sport with him too much and I cannot take him to a walk only after half hour of rest. What would I do after my Dog learn all the moves and won all the contests and just went for a walk and bought all the items that available in the shop? Nintendogs is just very limited compared to the masterpiece, Animal crossing. Animal crossing may also be somewhat limited, but there are always a reason to play the game other then going to a walk.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:47 AM   #764
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

I agree that Animal Crossing is the better game. I spent hours and hours on Halloween looking for that Jack guy to get ALL of the Halloween collection. I didn't get everything but it was still fun.
Nintendogs I think is meant to be played in short bursts. 1/2 hour to 1 hour max. It does have a lot to collect but you do get tons of repeat items. I will keep playing it as I want to get the "Outer Space" themed room which costs way too much but I want it.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:53 AM   #765
Paper exe
Pwnd

Speaking of that Halloween Guy. I ran out of candy, so I ended up with only one of his items. I was so cheap for not buying a lot of them when I had the chance. The town folks are heartless; they got all of my reminding candies.