The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 09-04-2005, 06:14 PM   #706
Paper exe
Pwnd

I knew it.
Joe, you should really try Super Mario Land 3 it is just that great. Knowing that you can actually buy it easily and cheaply and that you own a GBA, why not go and buy one?
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #707
justin_credible

Hey Joe can you review Shinobi Legions.

Or if you don't have it would you recommend it or would you say it sucks?

It goes for like $10-$15 on Ebay, I was thinking of getting it.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:53 PM   #708
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Get it. I'll try and review it soon. It's better than most people will lead you to believe.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:19 PM   #709
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Shinobi Legions
7/10
Sega Saturn

Ugg... A giant plastic box with crappy art.

Despite the beautiful "VIC TOKAI, INC" logo proudly and loudly displayed on the box, this game was actually programmed by Sega of Japan. But in the typical fashion of Sega of America not wanting to bring over more than 2 or 3 games from Japan at most, they passed this one up, and Vic Tokai of America published it here. Now where the hell was Vic Tokai with other forgotten gems like Parodius Forever with You, Radiant Silvergun, and hardware like the 4MB RAM cart? The US Saturn sure needed more love god damn it!

You've just unclogged the enemy's lower intestine!
What is with that getup you are wearing? Seriously.

Story: 2/10
No Joe Musashi in this game, unfortunately. Instead you get an awesome story about a pair of adopted brothers, one good and one evil, both skilled ninjas. The evil one predictably kidnaps their only sister, who is skilled in "peace". Hooray! She's not blood related to the brothers, so they both want to bone her something fierce. And she's kind of cute as well. The story unfolds in a very cheesey asian movie between rounds. If you like hokey, poorly compressed kung-fu movies you will be all over this.

See? You can still do the multiple shuriken toss.

Graphics: 7/10
Part of me wants to give the graphics an 8 because they are very detailed, but then again everything in the game is digitized and I hate digitized characters (like Donkey Kong Country). The graphics come off being much better and far more acceptable than Donkey Kong Country, though, most likely because Sega doesn't suck as much as Rare does. Ample sprite rotation is used throughout, and there is even a wee bit of scaling and transparency here and there. Lots of people say that no Sega system can do transparency but they are wrong (and morons). There are up to 5 layers of independent scrolling here depending on the stage, and the backgrounds all look very nice. The sprite animation is very good as well. The digitized video is extremely grainy.

Defeat the giant dinosaur and save Jurassic Park!
They digitized a real ninja and a dinosaur for this game.

Sound: 6/10
Yuzo Koshiro got delayed in traffic on the way to Sega to make music for this game, so they had to use the talents of someone else. Suffice it to say, this game does not have the techno "feel" that a few of the previous Shinobi games had. Instead it relies on a much more Asian-themed tunage, and it is slower paced as well. All of the music is produced by the internal Saturn MIDI, not streamed off of the CD. Word has it that this was going to be a Saturn cartridge game only, but then at the last minute they decided not to release any cart-only games, and they dropped in some FMV cut-scenes and called it a day. Still the music is kind of catchy and I do enjoy quite a bit of it, even if it does sound like a Saturn cartridge game.

One thing they have never perfected in all of Asia: ACTING!

Gameplay: 7/10
Don't listen to the naysayers, this game is actually fun! It plays mostly like a Shinobi game, except that the emphasis is MUCH more on swordplay than shuriken throwing. You still have shurikens and can toss 8 of them at a time in a couple different directions, but they are weaker here and are mainly a secondary weapon. You have a TON of different moves you can do with the sword, usually resulting in a bisected enemy. You can use your sword to block and deflect enemy shuriken as well, and this is very nice.. just press the "Y" button! You can double-jump and even bounce of vertical walls which is a very welcome feature. The pace is fairly fast and sometimes the screen may scroll too quickly for your slow ass. One thing I miss is ninja magic, which is strangely absent from this game. You can summon some giant dude who appears every time you swing the sword, but I'd rather have the 4 ninja magics. Unfortunately, there isn't a large variety of enemies and some of the bosses are a bit lame. But the game does pack quite a show if you can play all the way through. It is a worthy addition to your collection.

You can summon this guy up to assist for no reason.

Wrap up:
Everybody was expecting this to be exactly like Revenge of Shinobi or Shinobi III or something. Since it was a bit different people hate it. The same thing happened with Shadow Dancer on the Genesis (which I still play far more often than both Revenge of Shinobi or Shinobi III). When things stay the same people bitch. When things change people bitch. You can't win. Don't listen to the morons! This is a pretty good game!
Old 09-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #710
George Foreman

Hey Joe, have you played Mercs? Cause I'm thinking about getting it once I finally get my Genesis.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:12 AM   #711
gearhound
Versus the World

Mercs is awesome on the arcade and is going to be on the sega arcade classics, too. the game is only decent on the genesis.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:29 AM   #712
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Damn, I have Shinobi Legions but haven't played it in quite some time. The FMV in this game kicks ass! It's like watching an epic motion picture.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #713
George Foreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound
Mercs is awesome on the arcade and is going to be on the sega arcade classics, too. the game is only decent on the genesis.
Is it like Icari(sp) Warriors?
Old 09-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #714
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Foreman
Is it like Icari(sp) Warriors?
somewhat, yes, it is top down. if you have never played mercs before, pick up the arcade collection from capcom because mercs is there, and it kicks ass. pick it up for genesis, too.

Last edited by gearhound; 09-06-2005 at 09:01 PM.
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #715
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Radiant Silvergun
7/10
Sega Saturn

Japanese Saturn games had such cool boxes.

Can you say "Overrated"? Of course you can. You are probably very familiar with the word "overrated" if you have any experience with the following: Xbox Live, Naruto, Dance Dance Revolution, iPod, cell phones that take pictures, anything manufactured by Sony which contains moving parts, Monster Cable, and most other games made by Treasure. On the internet this game is selling for like a billion dollars or something. I got my copy for $59 I think... brand new upon release. It's still in mint condition with spine card (that's my box scanned up there). Yeah. So on with the review.

Just one of about 10,000 bosses you must fight in each stage.

Graphics: 8/10
While the graphics in this game are generally pretty good, I can't help but get the feeling that this is what Sega CD games should have looked like with its much-ballyhooed scaling and rotation functions. But still this game looks pretty nice with no flicker and slowdown only when bosses die. Japan fucking loves slowdown as bosses die. What's up with that? I think it's their way of asking us to give 'em a 3rd nuke or something. Anyway the colors are good yet bland, whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. Straight lines are straight. If this game were on the Playstation, it would look FAR WORSE as all of the straight lines would be crooked, jumbled messes. The Playstation sucked.

Same stage, another boss which requires you hit it a billion times.

Sound: 4/10
Minimalist composer Hitoshi Sakimoto comes through once again without providing us with anything memorable. He hates interesting music. As with most of his other stuff, Radiant Silvergun's music is "just there". How this guy keeps getting hired is beyond me. People like Spencer Nilsen leave the industry but this guy stays? Even the sound here is very low key. The weapons barely make any sound at all, the explosions are all very quiet and unbecoming and there isn't anything really here to draw you in except for the voice acting at the beginning of the stages. When the voice acting is going on, it does make it seem fairly dramatic, as you are actually playing when it is happening. Other than that, you won't notice the difference at all if you happen to shut off your sound system while playing.

People who are losers will love the fact that there are anime drawings
of the characters here & there. People can't get enough of this crap!

Gameplay: 7/10
This is a vertical shooter, not a meandering one. This game stole the concept of individual buttons for each weapon from Thunder Force 5. There aren't any powerups in this game, and each button does a different thing. The pace is medium and the difficulty average. Since this game is made by Treasure, there are tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons upon tons of bosses in this game. Treasure likes bosses, especially those with mediocre design. Treasure doesn't make too many games that I truly enjoy, and I do not agree with their retarded boss overkill concept, especially when they take tons upon tons of hits. Other than that this is a fairly basic shooter, and I don't really see the connection between this and Ikaruga. I do like this game much better than Ikaruga, however.

A blue transparent grid overlays this part of stage 2. Waitaminute...
Did I say "transparent"? On a Saturn game? That's right. Deal with it.

Wrap up:
A pretty good shooter that won't blow you away, but is worth having as part of your collection.

This review took me 1 hour and 15 minutes start to finish, and that included playing the game to capture the screens here, scanning the box, proofreading and correcting typos.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:12 PM   #716
justin_credible

I got Shinobi Legions off Ebay today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Paid more than I wanted, $25.49 including shipping.

If it sucks I demand a check from Joe Redifer to Justin Mathis in the amount of Twenty-Five and 49/100's--------------
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:37 PM   #717
gearhound
Versus the World

yeah, joe, i really don't see why people think radiant silvergun is so awesome. my friend paid $175 for it. when i played it i didn't think it was THAT good! it is a good shooter, but paying 175 bucks for it is CrAzY! i would rather pay $150 for rondo of blood than radian silvergun. i also didn't think the music was really that good. sakimoto could have done better; the music was boring.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:20 AM   #718
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

True story about the Genesis version Mercs here. A long time friend of mine was in town recently and we used to play Mercs at the local arcade all the time, back in the day. The local used movie/music/video game store by my house had a complete copy of Mercs for the Genesis that had been tempting me for weeks. When my buddy got into town, we stopped by the used video game store and picked up the copy of Mercs, all excited to relive the great two player co-op goodness of Mercs. We got home, grabbed a few beers, inserted Mercs into the cart slot and powered up the Sega CDX. I then proudly placed the Mercs box on the bookshelf, along with my growing collection of Genesis and Sega CD games. I grabbed my two six button controllers, placed one in my buddies hand and the other remained in my hand. We sat down on the couch, took a few sips of beer and then I hit the start button. Hmmm....where is the 2-player option? Well, I told my buddy that I'll just start the game and that he could probably hit start and join right in, just like in the arcade. Hmmm...that didn't work. I turned off the CDX and powered it up agian, as I just must of missed the 2-player co-op option in the menu. Hmmm...still couldn't find it...I better check the instruction booklet. I picked up the Mercs box and there on the bottom left hand corner was a little 1-player only logo... ... ....
<fists raised in the air>Noooooo! Damn you Sega and Capcom!!!!!
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:46 AM   #719
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Japan fucking loves slowdown as bosses die. What's up with that? I think it's their way of asking us to give 'em a 3rd nuke or something.

I don't like the slow down either. It?s not even anything spectacular to look at.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #720
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I, too, have Radiant Silvergun for Sega Saturn import. I've played it once.... Don't remember what I thought of it, but can certainly play it again and find out. I don't remember it as being outstanding, as you've obviously noticed, Joe.

There was another Sega Saturn import which I don't remember the name of offhand which is an action game and it's one of the rarest SS title ever made. Furthermore, if my brother is to be believed, normal converters won't allow you to play the game on a US Saturn. I'll look up the name later, if necessary.