The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 05-01-2005, 06:36 PM   #511
justin_credible

How about a review for my favorite game...Super Metroid. I heard a rumor Samus was a woman but I think it's bullsh**
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 07:35 PM   #512
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Problem is that I sold that one 10 years ago. It is not the greatest game of all time like EGM says.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:13 AM   #513
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

no it's not the greatest game of all time but it is one worth holding on to. You sell games like you need the money! WTF? I know you are a rich bastard!
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 03:35 AM   #514
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Well maybe 10 years ago I needed some money to buy the 32X or something. I agree that it is one worth holding on to. Too bad I didn't. Soon my SNES will be all one shade of grey instead of 1/2 grey and 1/2 nicotine.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:43 AM   #515
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

How could you do something so EVIL? Then again, I once traded Phantasy Star II for Space Harrier II.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:44 AM   #516
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

So you will soon have 2 SNES' What about the games? Remember me?!!
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:54 PM   #517
gearhound
Versus the World

joe, what are you reviewing next?
Old 05-02-2005, 07:40 PM   #518
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Like I said, I want to do Shenmue, but I am having a difficult time figuring out how to get screen caps from the game, since all my files are CLEARED files. All my pics would be of the beginning of the game or the credits.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:09 AM   #519
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Shenmue
9/10
Sega Dreamcast

4 GD-ROMs of pure awesomeness! Are you worthy?

Apparently AM2 frontman Yu Suzuki began creating Shenmue's world early in the days of the Sega Saturn. He finally got the go-ahead to produce the game and started working on it. But the Saturn began to die before he could even get halfway through completing his opus. Shenmue never saw the light of day on the Saturn. Then came the Dreamcast, a system which was also made by Sega believe it or not (the internet says I am right). Yu started from scratch making Shenmue for this system, except this time, the whole story wouldn't be settled in just one game. It would take place in 16 different "chapters", with each game covering a few. Shenmue is chapter 1. And it is a game like no other, and I must admit it's not for everybody. But to me it is one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time.

It's raining, so don't forget your jacket when wandering around looking for
sailors. In fact, it might be a good idea to never ever remove your jacket.

Story: 9/10
The story really draws me into the game and is very well presented. You guide Ryo through his virtual 1986 world, trying to get revenge on Lan Di, who whacked (killed, you perv) your dad. You find a mirror and Lan Di stole the another mirror. If you get both mirrors together, you can unleash some holy hell and supernatural powers and take over the world and those kinds of things. Lan Di really wants this to happen. He is one sinister mofo. You just want revenge and are blinded by it. But there is more, including Shenhua (mis-typed as "Sha Hua" in the game) who shows up in your dreams after you find the mirror, which insinuates that your role is much greater than one of revenge. But how do you get to Lan Di? Why did he murder your dad? Did your dad kill someone in the past? WTF? You are also hoping to obtain answers to these questions as well. But first you must find a place where sailors hang out. I really want to see how this all ends up.

Oooo! Space Harrier! Hell yeah! Nobody can beat my high score.
Darts is another fun game that is strangely addicting.

Graphics: 9/10
For the Dreamcast, Shenmue's graphics are outstanding in every way. The detail, the textures, the layout of everything, and especially the massiveness of it all. The city is quite large and most shops let you walk inside of them and talk to people and look around. You can even play arcade games like Hang-On and Space Harrier which look identical to the real arcade machines both in-game and the cabinets themselves. Each character has their own unique face and animations. The buildings, structures, and paths all look outstanding. You can search through drawers and find crap to use. The main characters have more detail than the common person on the street, and the characters on the Passport Disc have even more detail! There is no FMV at all in Shenmue. Everything you see is rendered via the game engine in real time. Every picture you see in this review was captured directly from the game by me. Since this is a Dreamcast game, 480p is supported, but unfortunately 16:9 is not. Once again, the detail in this game is amazing.

The 70 man battle kicks much ass! During the game, you have a little help,
but once you beat the game, you can take on all 70 dudes by yourself. This is
as close as we will ever get to a 3D Streets of Rage. Way better than Spikeout.

Sound: 8/10
I really want to give the sound a 9, but I can't due to the quality of the compressed voices and some of the compressed digitized music. It is minor, but I must knock the score down because of this. Every character speaks and often has many different things to say. Each shop even has its very own music. Most of the music is incredibly good. Many musicians worked on the music for this game, including the famous Yuzo Koshiro. True story: I recently asked Yuzo about which tunes he was responsible for in the game and he said: "Hmm.. Sorry, I don't remember for the most part. I created a rapper's music and 10-15 bgms, and did some orchestral arranges." Speaking of the orchestral music, it is outstanding. The official soundtrack release sounds better than the game itself due to the game's lower sampling rate, but it is still outstanding stuff. Most of the music is actually generated by the Dreamcast's sound hardware and are not actual recordings. As for the Yuzo's "rapper" music, I am betting that this is actually Cool Z's theme from Shenmue 2, as they didn't use ALL of everyone's music just for the first game. The voice acting can be pretty stilted at times, with some unnatural pauses and overall goofiness. Some of it is quite funny, like Goro. Chai sounds EXACTLY like he does in the Japanese version, only here he speaks English. Oh, and everyone likes to pronounce Ryo's name as "deeyo". WTF? I don't see a "D" in his name. We should all start a letter-writing campaign to Jayfilm, who provided the voice acting. There is some swearing in this game, so cover your ears and call your Senator!

Nozomi has a crush on Ryo. But she is always nagging at him to stay
out of trouble and can be kind of annoying. This is not a render...
these are actual Dreamcast graphics in motion here.

Gameplay: 9/10
Oh wow. This truly is a game like no other. It is more of an RPG than "true RPG's" in the literal sense. You actually play the role of Ryo, doing everything from fighting to petting a cat to sleeping. No RPG has this kind of interaction with its world. That said, it is quite different. A lot of people find the game boring. I say those people are the ones that are boring. I've played through this game at least 3 times now, and I am a person who finds most RPG's exceedingly boring to begin with. That really says a lot. There is a lot to do in Shenmue: You can hang around and waste days upon days playing video games, raising a kitten or practicing your moves. Or you can charge into every situation and finish the game right after Christmas. You can collect little Sega capsule toys or even drink a refreshing cola you buy from a vending machine. It may seem mundane, but it is actually fun! The programmers could probably even make something like clipping your toenails seem fun. There are free battles in which you fight an assorted cast of characters in a 3D Streets of Rage style but with Virtua Fighter moves. There are Quick Time Events (QTE's) which urge you to press a series of buttons in time. A lot of people hate the QTE's because they fail the first time they pop up (and they can appear suddenly). But if you fail, you can always try again, and it is kind of fun to see what happens when the wrong button is pressed. There is also a Metal Gear Solid-style part of the game where you must avoid being seen by guards and sneek into a warehouse. This was the most difficult part of the game for me. But the game helps you out if you suck too badly. You even have "magic weather", where the weather changes depending on the day. It is pretty cool (pun not intended) and makes it feel like you are experiencing real life or something absurd like that. It can rain, snow, or be sunny. Things happen at night that won't happen during the day. It's all crazy up in here! Once I first beat Shenmue, I immediately began playing through it again. That's how good it is. The only other RPG that I have played through more than once was the original Phantasy Star, and that was years and years between play-throughs. The game is over a bit soon, so perhaps that prompted the immediate replay. I really didn't want the game to end.

Mark is your supervisor during your job driving forklifts, which is actually
really fun. Everyday after work you must give Mark a big wet kiss on
the lips if you want to get paid (which is NOT fun)!

Wrap up:
An outstanding effort for the Dreamcast! An absolute must-have and must-play. Everything about this game is pure Sega. If you don't like it, then I imagine that there is something wrong with you. You really should try suicide if that is the case. Nobody will miss you, so don't delay! Seriously though, this is not a game everyone is capable of appreciating, and that is truly unfortunate because of the detail poured into this game and how fun it really is. You don't play Shenmue, you live it. Buy 28 copies today!
Old 05-03-2005, 05:09 AM   #520
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Shenmue II
10/10
Sega Dreamcast - Xbox

4 more GD-ROMs or 1 DVD of gaming bliss. The artwork sucks on the Xbox cover.

I love it when the sequels are better than the originals, especially when I love the originals. Shenmue 2 certainly does not disappoint! The game is MUCH larger than the first one and in fact it was necessary to provide maps to help keep the player from getting lost, which is still possible even with the maps. You even go to 3 completely different places in this game. Shenmue 2 covers chapters 2-4 of the 16-chapter Shenmue saga. Some people like to say that chapter 2 happened on the boat before the game starts. Nope. The game begins on chapter 2 marked in the notebook. Sega really outdid themselves with this game and really pushed the limits of the Dreamcast. Unfortunately Microsoft gave Sega a ton of money NOT to release the game in the US and instead make a version of the game for the Xbox which Microsoft themselves released here. Oh well, at least the Microsoft folks are Shenmue fans! Either way, you are in for a great game!

The Xbox version is a little softer, but overall both versions look pretty much the same.

Story: 9/10
I give the story a 9 and not a 10 mainly because it has not been completed. It really leaves you hanging. But it is still damned good. Ryo starts his journey in China. Ryo doesn't know a lick of Chinese, so fortunately all of China quickly became fluent in Japanese (or English in the Xbox version) to better accommodate Ryo when he arrives. That was mighty nice of everybody. There is one point in the game where Joy says something in Chinese and Ryo clearly does not understand, so my theory about everyone learning Ryo's language is 100% correct. Ryo wanders around the giant city of Wan Chai and eventually heads off to the much more sinister Kowloon. Here he has to wander around old buildings and get in street fights. Then he's off to Guilin for further adventures. Lots o' fun is packed in here. It's not necessary to have played through Shenmue 1 first, but it certainly helps and gives you a better emotional bond with the story. But don't fret, as a "digest movie" full of Shenmue 1 spoilerz is included so you know what is going on. The Xbox version comes with the poorly edited "Shenmue the Movie" to explain the first game. Just try not to get confused by all of the Chinese names you are presented with. They are much harder to remember than "Jim" or "Bob" or "Ben Affleck".

If you haven't played the game before, you can easily get lost since the game area is so freakin' HUGE!

Graphics: 10/10
I'd say that this is probably the limits or thereabouts of the Dreamcast's graphics abilities. The graphics are actually much more detailed than the first Shenmue and there are a lot more people and animated things on the screen at once. I can't stress the level of detail in the Shenmue games... you just have to stop and smell the roses to truly appreciate everything there is. The Xbox version eliminates the occasional slowdown that is in the Dreamcast version and adds some anti-aliasing, creating a softer and slightly more pleasing look to everything. The Xbox version also adds a warm glow to things during the evening and night scenes. But otherwise the graphics are pretty much identical. Both versions support 480p and neither runs in widescreen.

The street fighting in this game is surprisingly fun and easy to get into once you master your moves.

Sound: 9/10
Once again you have tons of fantastic music and lots of voices. The Dreamcast version is voiced in Japanese, but doesn't sound *quite* as compressed as Shenmue 1 did. The Xbox voices sound very clear, but they come out of the left and right channels instead of the center channel of the 5.1 mix. Speaking of 5.1, a few of the cut scenes on the Xbox version take advantage of the better sound. As expected, the Xbox version is voiced is English and uses many of the semi-talented voice actors from the first Shenmue. At least this time it sounds like they got actual children to do the voices of the kids... at least most of the kids. The Dreamcast version has one lady who must have smoked 20 packs a day for 40 years, as she sounds deep and gravelly in her speech. It's hilarious! Did I mention that most of the music is great? It is.

If this lady doesn't know a place where sailors hang out,
then it's an elbow to the abdomen for her!

Gameplay: 10/10
There is just so much to do in Shenmue 2 that you may have a hard time sticking to what you are SUPPOSED to be doing. There are tons of diversions here, from Lucky Hit (sounds like something a pot-lover would play) to arcade games like Space Harrier, Out Run, After Burner and Hang-On. It is really interesting where you find Hang-On. There are also 1 and 2 round street fights that you can participate in, more free battles, QTE's during battles, balancing acts, the list goes on. The game itself is awesome without the diversions. You still have to work to make money. Your job this time is moving crates with the local moron. Instead of just picking up the crate and moving it across the room (for whatever reason is beyond me), your partner feels the need to zig zag all over the place causing you to drop it, slowing you down. Congo, who helps you move crates in Kowloon, is a real piece of work. The game is a bit harder and less forgiving this time around, with QTE's ending some battles. Miss a button and you have to refight the entire battle. Mess up on a regular QTE and get set back further than you'd think you would. The fight with the final boss Don Niu is awesome. When I finally won, my thumb was shaking and nearly numb. After such an intense battle, disc 4 is really a breath of fresh air. It is relaxing and you can let your thumb heal for the most part. You get to know Shenhua and that is even fun. This time you can even play any minigame or fight you've already encountered in the Shenmue Collection right from the title screen! The Xbox version of Space Harrier is messed up, though. It controls very poorly. The other Xbox differences are that you can take a screenshot and save it to the hard drive at almost any time. You can also change the colors of the screen, but that is a useless feature that some people actually enjoy. Other than that, the Xbox version runs a bit smoother than the Dreamcast version, and loads quicker as well. I don't want to spoil it too much, but this is one hell of a game. Buy 93 copies today!

Ryo finally meets up with Lan Di, who is hanging from the helicoptor.

Wrap up:
Like Shenmue 1, I started playing through this game right away once I beat it, even though this one is over twice as long as the first. The only difference is that I've only been through Shenmue 1 three times completely, and Shenmue 2 five times. Freakin' awesome. Please Sega, bring us a nice, long Shenmue 3 and let us know how it all ends!
Old 05-03-2005, 05:27 AM   #521
Paper exe
Pwnd

Quote:
Buy 28 copies today!
That if it released here.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #522
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Awesome reviews, Joe. I think I enjoy Shenmue 1 over 2 but both are great games anyway. The Dreamcast truly is a powerful machine when put in the right hands. I've got the Dreamcast version of Shenmue 2 and my brother either has or had the Xbox version. Shenmue just works better with the Dreamcast controller. The only question is, when's part 3 coming out?
Old 05-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #523
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Good Shenmue reviews, Joe! Everyone should get these great games and jack the prices up on ebay to crazy levels and hopefully Sega will take notice. Either that or hopefully Microsoft throws a bunch of cash in Sega's direction agian, to make Shenmue 3. How geeked would you be if Sega showed a Shenmue 3 teaser at E3?
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #524
justin_credible

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariX
Good Shenmue reviews, Joe! Everyone should get these great games and jack the prices up on ebay to crazy levels and hopefully Sega will take notice. Either that or hopefully Microsoft throws a bunch of cash in Sega's direction agian, to make Shenmue 3. How geeked would you be if Sega showed a Shenmue 3 teaser at E3?
heh that's alot of price jacking up (not sure if that's the correct way of saying it) because I just got Shenmue 1 on Dreamcast for $11 with shipping and Shenmue 2 on Xbox for $10.
justin_credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:46 PM   #525
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_credible
heh that's alot of price jacking up (not sure if that's the correct way of saying it) because I just got Shenmue 1 on Dreamcast for $11 with shipping and Shenmue 2 on Xbox for $10.
It's slang and horrible english, bit it sounds cool and it's in the dictionary.
Enjoy the games. :cool guy:
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote