The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-01-2005, 12:01 AM   #451
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Those commercials are awesome. They make me think and have ideas about making movies that mimick Sanshiro san.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 02:54 AM   #452
Chrono081

They got Segata and we got Ice Cube...just not cool..man...
Chrono081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:18 AM   #453
Paper exe
Pwnd

Now that realy cool and funy and something that I agree about. :cool guy:
Joe can you please put more commercials because if I want I would buy the game but I cannot because were I live so can you put some more commercials.

Note-I am talking about these cool commercials.

Last edited by Paper exe; 04-01-2005 at 04:09 AM.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:45 AM   #454
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Done! I did not encode these, and they were gathered off of the 'net.

More Segata Sanshiro Commercials!

Bomberman Commercial - 1.81 MB
Segata is so awesome that he can make people explode just by throwing them!

Greatest Nine 98 - 5.67 MB
Screw playing baseball American-style, Segata hits a home run using his mad martial arts skillz!
At the very end of the commercial, Segata shows how manly he is!

Solo Crisis - 5.06 MB
Segata bashes through a ton of stone bricks in a way that only a true ass-kicking man could do.

Winter Heat - 5.5 MB
Segata races Spiderman (I think) to become the new world champion in speed skating!

World Cup Soccer '98 - 5.69 MB
One of the great soccer commercials! Ain't no way Segata will let the other team score!

Soccer RPG - 4.25 MB
My favorite Segata commercial ever. Coach Segata makes sure his team wins the world championship!

Final Commercial - Shinkenyugi - 3.98 MB
The sad end to Segata Sanshiro. Sega is discussing the Dreamcast when an evil terrorist attacks!
Segata's last words are "Sega Saturn SHIRO!" (Play Sega Saturn!), even as the Dreamcast is coming out.
This is the best version of the commercial I could get. No higher quality ones exist that I know of.

Segata ownz! Definitely beyond classic stuff like "Where's the Beef?" People in the US would have started crusades against Sega if they saw Segata murdering a non-Saturn user in a TV commercial, though. I hate political correctness.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:24 AM   #455
Paper exe
Pwnd

Thank you Joe.
these commercials are great I wish there is more.
SEGA should have put a commercial for every game.
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 07:15 AM   #456
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

*Sings theme song* Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro, Sega Sataaaaaaaaaan, Shiro! Awsomeness, pure awsomeness, hey Joe, can you rip this game for me, I've modded my brothers' Saturn for the swap trick already.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:24 AM   #457
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Those commercials are damn cool! Thanks for posting them, Joe. Everybody needs to download all of them to see how much ass Sega kicked in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer

Segata gets ready to kick what looks kind of like
a Playstaion into the garbage bin. Hooray Segata!
Too classic! I can't believe that a game could kick so much ass!
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 01:15 AM   #458
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Tekken 5
8/10
Playstation 2

This dude has a tattoo, and you
can't be awesome without a tattoo!

Warning! This game causes carpel tunnel syndrome during the last boss! Tekken is back and better than ever with it's 5th installment (or 6th, if you count Tag Tournament). I'm not sure what Tag Tournament was all about, and I don't really care. With it comes the famous Tekken quirks, such as a button for each of your limbs (except that one, you perv) and extremely unbalanced characters. But overall this is a worthy game. Let's take a deeper look, for phuck's sake!

The blood in this game is transparent and it glows like a ghost.

Graphics: 9/10
The graphics have been upgraded to freakin' awesome. I'd say this looks as good as Dead or Alive 3 for the Xbox, maybe even a bit better. You've got huge characters with tons of polygons, lots of costumes, amazing looking stages (look at the nighttime dandilion stage for a fantastic example) and 60 frames per second, solid. Progressive scan is supported as is widescreen. Unfortunately the digitized video is not widescreen, and neither are any of the 2D graphics such as the illustrations, HUD, etc. To appreciate how good the graphics are, go to the Arcade History section and play some Tekken 1, 2, and 3. Then come back and play some Tekken 5 and be amazed. None of the arcade classics support progressive scan or widescreen. The Devil Within minigame thingymabob supports 480p, but no widescreen, and generally it looks pretty simple.

Each character has an opening story. They are illustrated quite nicely, like above.

Sound: 7/10
The sound is a mixed bag. Great voices and some great music here and there. But some of the sounds and music are suspect. When some of your kicks land, it sounds more like a hollow can being lightly patted by your hand than anything. And the music in the outer space stage is HORRIBLE! Yes, there is actually a stage that takes place in outer space... I'm not sure how the participants get up there. Must be a huge budget for the tournament. There is also a musical selection in what appears to be an indoor scrapyard with cars hanging down from chains with the crowd constantly going "Woot woot woot woot!" in time with the music. This gets annoying after exactly 8.6 seconds (I timed it). Then the MUTE button must be pressed. The music is mostly techno, but there is nothing outstanding here in any fashion.

The Devil Within minigame is almost exactly like Sega's underrated Virtua Quest.
But people will enjoy it because it has Tekken characters. People are stupid.

Gameplay: 8/10
Well, it's Tekken. They say that they removed a whole bunch o' stuff from Tekken 4, which I also have. To be quite honest, I have no idea what has been removed. I notice zero difference in the gameplay. Oh well, good riddance to whatever was removed. But once again we get horribly unbalanced fighters. The names of the characters are fairly drab and unmemorable, but not as dull as SNK fighting game character names. I beat the game with each and every character there is available, including all of the unlockables. There is the giant sometimes white guy, sometimes black guy Marduke (I think that was his name) who has an incredibly difficult time damaging any female opponent. There is Steve Ballmar who cannot use his legs and can only throw punches. Never try to play as him, as he really sucks. There is Yoshimitsu who has a sword but can't use it, even though all of humanity is apparently on the line. I have no idea why humanity would depend on the outcome of an underground 1-on-1 fighting game. You've got the wrestler with a heart of gold and a head transplant gone horribly wrong called King. Then there is Mr. Tree Man whose moves are all stolen from other characters (I hate Namco in this regard, as they love to have "characters" who have no moves of their own). You've got brand new hottie Anna who is Nina's sister, and they hate each other for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Since this is a Japanese fighting game and Japan has a law that every fighting game MUST have a Bruce Lee character (even though Bruce Lee was Chinese), they have included Marshall Law (ha ha do you get the incredibly hilarious play on words? HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!). And then of course you have old man Heihachi (gesundheit) who is incredibly boring and just won't go away and stay away. I hate old people, they have no business being alive.

Then there is the final boss, and his mission is to destroy ALL EXISTENCE! He's gonna have a hard time doing that if a 16-year old schoolgirl (who never ages from one Tekken to the next) can defeat him. This last boss is the same exact last boss that was in Dead or Alive 2 as well as DoA 3... that is a supernatural Japanese cheater who is frustrating as hell and whose purpose is to conquer/destroy all of everything. Must be another law in Japan that all 3D fighting games must have a supernatural, tyranical megalomaniac who cheats constantly as a final boss along with a crazy, distracting background scene. There can be no other explanation. But this guy truly is an excersize in frustration! He moves at super EX turbo 9 x6 speed, while you putz around in real time. He also kicks up a ton of debris every time he moves, and there is constant rapid motion in the background. Trying to see what he is doing is nearly impossible. Let's not forget a color sceme that would kill even a non-epileptic. He hits you with moves that make you just stand there in a stupor, unable to do a damned thing. Then he unleashes his instant death move and that's it, you're done. He is one of the cheapest bosses I have ever seen. I hate him. I'd rate this game higher if he weren't in it. There is next to no strategy to use against him because he moves so fast you can't tell what the hell is going on. Fighting him as Yoshimitsu or Steve Ballmar is insanely angrifying. Beat him though, and you get a fantastic CG ending in most cases. My favorite ending is probably Wang Chung's, simply because it looks like he has real emotion on his face when he looks down at the defeated, cheating final boss. There is one ending that is anime, so that means nerds and people who don't count as real people can appreciate this game as well! There is a "Devil Within" side quest game, and it is a repetitive beat 'em up that gets kind of boring after a whole bunch of heated 1-on-1 battles in the normal game, but it's not too shabby. It's just like the one that was in Tekken 4, from what I recall. Playing the older arcade games (including Starblade) is pretty fun. Starblade is a bit better than the Sega CD version we have all grown to love since ages past. Pick up Tekken 5, it's a good game!

You didn't think the Playstation 2 could pull off good graphics, but you've
been proven wrong! These go beyond "good" and even into "fantastic"!

Wrap up:
If you like cheating end bosses, you will love Tekken 5. But even with him in the game, this is still a great game and it will take a small while to unlock everything. Definitely the best Tekken ever, but not perfect. Soul Calibur 1 and 2 are still the best Namco fighters by a mile.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 04-05-2005 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:56 AM   #459
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Cool review, though it's odd that you said so much negative about it and then slapped it with an 8. BTW, Anna Williams isn't a newcomer as she's been around since, I believe, Tekken 2. I'm tired of Tekken; Namco needs to try something different, make strides to improve something besides the graphics.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:50 AM   #460
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Press the submit button a few too many times trying to post that, Icarus?

I did have fun with it like I mentioned, and most of my complaining was about the last boss. The rest was just making fun of the characters. It's more of a 7.8, but I don't really like dealing in decimals when it comes to scores.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:53 AM   #461
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yes, you noticed, perhaps via the email notifications, what kind of trouble I was having just trying to post a reply. I'm not sure why that happened -- it's never happened before.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:57 AM   #462
Joe Redifer
Olé!

No e-mail notifications. I'm a mod, I see all. The forum is acting weird and Admin was going to try and update to 3.0.7 but he hasn't seemed to do that yet. Regardless, I hope it helps.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:58 AM   #463
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

That was beyond frustrating, let me tell you. I tried posting on AOL, but that was a no go. Then, I opened IE. ....Nope. I cleared the cache, reset everything, and still had a helluva time.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:04 AM   #464
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Let this be a lesson to you (one which you probably already know). If you click submit and nothing is happening, COPY all of your text FAST! Sometimes the post will actually submit, the forum just won't take you to the updated page. Copy your text and then refresh the last page of the thread to see if your post took. If it did, and the thread didn't top itself like it should, then make a new post with gibberish like fjghjkfhgjkfhj and submit. The thread will top itself. Now delete the gibberish post. I have had to do that with my last 3 reviews.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:07 AM   #465
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Ever since some earlier mishaps (mostly from when I'd write reviews and it screwed up, losing all of my material in the process), I've known to copy all of my text, especially if it's a long message like a review. Nowadays, it's more safe to copy and paste those into Wordpad/Notepad before trying to submit them because if AOL should happen to throw me offline then whatever I've copied will disappear, meaning I won't be able to restart up AOL and then simply paste the message. Also, about that other point you mentioned, I've had to deal with that a lot recently, and I'm aware of the method you just stated. I wonder why the MagicBox is having problems....

P.S. Some of those earlier deleted reviews were excellent and are now lost forever. THANK YOU AOL.