Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 03-20-2005, 07:09 AM   #436
Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Def Jam Vendetta
2/10
Playstation 2
Eh dawg why don' yeh review Def Jam 2? I hea' it's teh ****!
Old 03-20-2005, 07:41 AM   #437
Joe Redifer
Olé!

There's a part 2? Did I review part 1? I didn't know there were different versions. I hate EA and rap.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:52 AM   #438
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yes, of course! How could I forget about Parodius?
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:27 AM   #439
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer

Where are Icarus and Gearhound to give my Ys VI review some love? Everyone NEEDS Ys VI now!
sorry, joe yeah, man... kick ass review!! so, you and icarus gave it a 9 and i gave it a 9.1. excellent i say. excellent indeed. :cool guy:
Old 03-23-2005, 12:55 AM   #440
Joe Redifer
Olé!

It is definitely a worthy game! I can't wait for Ys 7.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:58 AM   #441
gearhound
Versus the World

hell yeah. i think it will be even better than ys VI
Old 03-23-2005, 01:49 AM   #442
gearhound
Versus the World

hey, joe... i think i am the only one who reviewed neo contra. i want to see what you think of it. review it!! i command you!!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:19 AM   #443
Joe Redifer
Olé!

But I only rented the game for an evening and I never beat it.

Here is my mini-review:

Story:
Who cares?

Graphics: 6/10
Not bad. They are not amazing, but they don't make me queasy. Fast, no slowdown. I do not like the overhead view. Nothing memorable. Does not have that Contra "feel", not does it have the DKC-style graphics of the previous PS2 effort. Where are the 3D glasses?

Sound: 7/10
Sota Fujimori rarely disappoints. The music is not as cool as Donkey Kong Country Contra, but it still does kick. The sounds are cool and crap like that. Someday Willie Nelson will die and the world will rejoice. What does that have to do with anything? NOTHING!

Gameplay: 6/10
Only 7 stages? Decent arcadey fun buy gets kind of boring. I do not like the overhead view. I wish they would stop that sh!t already. It was nice in Contra III: The Illegal Alien Wars but it does not work here because it sucks. Also since there are so many illegal aliens these days that domestic people are the minority, it makes the game even more boring. Only a real man can run on helicoptor blades as they spin, and that does add to the coolness of the game.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 03-23-2005 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #444
gearhound
Versus the World

i'm guessing you would rate it a little lower than what i did. i bet icarus would give it a 4.
Old 03-24-2005, 04:14 AM   #445
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Maybe. I don't like the looks of the new one. :annoyed:

How about Hard Corps? That's one tough-ass game! Not as great as III, no, but a great effort nonetheless.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:42 AM   #446
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I didn't care much for Hard Corpse. The graphics were too dark and murky, making them look bad. Dark and murky doesn't work with the Genesis' composite video connection. You must play in RGB. I wish the Genesis had S-video. No wonder Sega went out of business.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:38 PM   #447
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578
Maybe. I don't like the looks of the new one. :annoyed:

How about Hard Corps? That's one tough-ass game! Not as great as III, no, but a great effort nonetheless.
are you talking about neo contra, icarus? i also like hardcore a lot, but certainly not as much as contra 3.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:51 PM   #448
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Super Monkey Ball Deluxe
7/10
Xbox

The monkeys have abandoned the Gamecube!

Make no mistake, Super Monkey Ball Deluxe is NO EXCUSE not to own a Gamecube. Even though Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 were some of the best games released for any system this generation (or perhaps ever) and most of the elements of Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 are present on one $30 disc for your non-Gamecube system of choice, I do not feel that this accurately represents all that is great about Super Monkey Ball. Why not? Well read the rest of the review and you'll find out! Duh!

Some of the new stages are pretty cool, but retain the Super Monkey Ball 2 look and feel.
Fortunately none of the new stages rely on those annoying warp gates and switches!

Graphics: 9/10
On the Xbox version you get a constant 60 frames per second just like the Gamecube version (the PS2 version reportedly runs at half that). This makes everything seem silky-smooth and fast paced as well. There are plenty of details in the textures and most backgrounds, and the game does a great job of making you feel that you are in crazy motion (which is the best part about the graphics). But you never get motion sickness because Monkey Ball is just that awesome. The game offers 480p and also 16:9 widescreen just like Super Monkey Ball 2. It is a very well presented 16:9, but a few of the elements from SMB1 are stretched, like roulette wheel in Monkey Target version 1. Oh well. But it is nice to play stages from Super Monkey Ball 1 in 480p widescreen which was unavailable in the Gamecube version. The cut-scenes are now FMV that were digitized from the Gamecube version (which used real graphics for the cut-scenes) and they look rather soft and washed out because of that. But overall the game gives a pleasing visual experience that doesn't try to overwhelm you on style or homosexuality (*cough* Devil May Cry 3 *cough*).

Actual screen shot from a story cut-scene. This game teaches you that it's OK to be a
crazy perverted delinquent with a monkey fetish.

Sound: 6/10
What happened here? The music is still fantastic, but they really dropped the ball (pun intended) on the leveling of the sound. Many of the sounds are way too loud, like when you cross the goal and take off. Some sounds are completely missing, like the sound of your ball rolling. WTF? If you have your Xbox hooked up in Dolby Digital, it only sends sound to the LEFT and RIGHT channels, and you can't even Pro-Logic them. You have to play this game in analog if you want Pro Logic. One thing that irked me a little bit is the lack of music from Super Monkey Ball 1. There is some in here, but not all of it. During the credits game, you get SMB2 music no matter which versions of the credits you play. Same goes for Monkey Target. SMB1 had some great music and it all should have been included here. There are monkey voices throughout the lame story and they speak in "monkey language" which consists of "Mun-kee-kee munkeeeee!" and the like. Ug.

I'd "soft cream" in my jeans if this version controlled as well as the Gamecube versions did!

Gameplay: 7/10
Here is where the ball was dropped (once again, pun intended. Laugh it up.) On the first easy stages you won't notice any difference between this and the Gamecube versions. Everything seems fine. But when you get to the more advanced levels you start noticing that you have far less precision in your control than you do on the Gamecube. At first I thought it might be because the Gamecube analog stick is superior to the Xbox analog stick. But now I'm not entirely sure, though I haven't ruled out that cause. When you try to make minor adjustments to the left and right, there is a bit of a dead zone in the controls. By the time you move the stick far enough to get the monkey to turn, it starts turning way too fast because the stick has been moved so far. As such it is impossible to navigate some of the more advanced levels that require precise, God-like control. This doesn't seem to be much of an issue when tilting forward and backwards, though. This probably won't be a huge issue for most people because most people suck at Monkeyball and other significant aspects of life. But it is a big deal for me since I am the Super Monkey Ball KING! However I was still able to defeat the story mode fairly easily, and the minigames do not seem as affected by the control debacle. Anyway, you get stages from SMB1 and 2 as well as 40-some-odd new stages. You don't select whether you want to play SMB1 or 2. Instead they are all combined into the main game and their stages are interwoven into the SMB2-style presentation. SMB1 stages have also been given names (they had none in the original game). The story mode is extremely stupid, and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the game you are playing. Oh well, it is fun anyway. The minigames are all unlocked from the start and are presented well. Monkey Target is still the best! You can unlock more Monkeys per continue, and some other crap that doesn't matter. But since the control was ruined for the main game, I can't give it as much praise as the Gamecube versions. It makes the upper levels absolutely impossible. For shame! After playing the Xbox version for awhile, I plugged in the Gamecube version. It was like I was paralyzed, confined to a wheelchair for life and all of a sudden I was up sprinting around freely with my own legs!

At least the Sega logo is back, dressed in Super Monkey Ball 2 colors. This stage is a
favorite because Sega has a better looking logo than any other game company in existence.

Quicktime videos!
Here are a couple of Quicktime videos of Super Monkey Ball Deluxe that I made for YOU to watch! Both videos are widescreen, stereo, and REQUIRE Quicktime 6.

Fun with Super Monkey Ball Deluxe - 9.9 MB
This shows me playing SMBD on the Xbox and having lots of fun with it, despite the controls. Even you can have this much fun!

Trouble controlling Super Monkey Ball Deluxe - 13.7 MB
This compares the Gamecube version and the Xbox version of the same stage, an early stage on the ADVANCED difficulty.
Watch as I have much more trouble trying to complete the stage on the Xbox version! Download now and comment!

Wrap up:
A nice game for $30, but don't think that this is the epitome of all that is Super Monkey Ball. The Gamecube versions control much better and you should make an attempt to own those versions before anything. If all else fails and you are too stubborn to get a Gamecube, then go ahead and try this nice, cheap version.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 03-24-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:20 AM   #449
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Looks good, but it's pretty suprising that Sega would make a compilation and make the controls worse than they were. :annoyed: Maybe the programmers were too busy spanking their monkeys (harr-harr) to worry about the controls.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:38 PM   #450
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Segata Sanshirou Shinkenyugi
6/10
Sega Saturn

Segata Sanshiro kicks more ass and takes
more names than Nintendo's Reggie Feels-Amy!

In Japan, the Sega Saturn had a downright classic advertising campaign which used a martial arts expert who could kick anyone and everyone's ass called Segata Sanshiro. He would star in commercials which he would do zany things like toss a soccer player who was sitting on the bench into the field to head-butt an errant soccer ball (known as "football" or "futbol" in lesser parts of the world that don't count). He would beat up people who didn't play Sega Saturn and get into all sorts of crazy situations in 15 seconds time. Sometimes his commercials would even last 30 seconds (an eternity in Japan) and his last commercial was a full minute long. Segata and people in the commercials would enjoy shouting "Sega Saturn Shiro!" (Play Sega Saturn!). Well towards the end of the Saturn's life they made a little game about Segata for the Saturn. This game was introduced via Segata's last commercial in which he saves Sega and dies in the process. This game is basically a bunch of little Segata minigames in which you can unlock many of the commercials from his repertoire and watch them. Unfortunately the cool soccer commercials and the minute-long last commercials aren't in the game... at least from what I have been able to see.

Fly right to left and deliver as many presents as
you can and don't touch anything, not even yourself!

Graphics: 7/10
The graphics are all 100% 2D. There is not a single polygon in the entire game. Now while some of my younger readers are probably fainting because they simply cannot imagine a game without polygons, it actually serves the game well to have it all in 2D. The graphics are pretty simple for some of the minigames, and really colorful for others. The SegaSanta minigame features layer upon layer upon layer of scrolling and it looks really cool. There is some scaling and rotation here and there as well. Most of the graphics are fairly comical in their presentation, and that is to be expected. The graphics work for this game.

Segata's head will explode if you suck at videogames.

Sound: 6/10
The sound really isn't bad in any way, but it doesn't stand out tremendously, either. During the menu selections you are treated to music that sounds like it was ripped straight out of a T&E Soft golf game. The music and sounds in the minigames are fine and non-distracting, and you even get a CD quality Segata Sanshiro song during the title screen. Who could possibly even dream of asking for more? I mean besides everybody?

Segata gets ready to kick what looks kind of like
a Playstation into the garbage bin. Hooray Segata!

Gameplay: 6/10
You get 10 minigames here and defeating each minigame unlocks a new ad. If you lose a minigame, you unlock the Segata training ad with the giant Sega Saturn control pad. Likewise if you wait at the title screen you will unlock a different ad. There are many ways to unlock ads and most of Segata's commercials are in here to be viewed once you unlock them. The game is fairly tough on the average. Let's take a look at each of the ten minigames right now (hint: keep reading).

Sega Simon Sez - This minigame flashes a series of buttons across the screen. After it is done you will have to punch in the same buttons on your Sega Saturn? brand control pad. Each time you press a button Segata does a dance move. Get them right and you advance to a new series of button presses. This one is pretty easy.

Bizarre Bomberman Wrestling - This has you grappling with a Bomberman-type character. Your goal is to throw him onto explosive objects multiple times. This seems really tough to control and really is not much fun at all.

SegaSanta - This is definitely the best minigame. Since Segata is so great, he also doubles as Santa Claus. You fly left to right in the sleigh and toss as many presents as possible into the chimneys as you quickly fly over them. Don't touch any objects or you will crash and it will be Game Over. You even fly through caves which appear to be randomly scattered throughout the neighborhood and yes, there are homes inside of the caves! Catholics will hate this minigame with a passion because it takes place at Christmastime and there is no mention of Jesus anywhere.

Head Smash - In this minigame, you use a golf-swing style meter to make Segata smash through a whole bunch of stone tablets using his head (of course). The higher the meter gets, the more red Segata's head becomes. If you let the meter get too high, his head will explode. Try this at home!

Panzer Dragoon 1,2,3 - Segata stands on the edge of a cliff or something stupid like that. As he stands there, a bunch of Panzer Dragoons fly by. Your job is to count all of the dragons that have a Mini-Segata riding them (or trying to ride and hanging on for dear life). After all of the dragons fly away, you input the number. Amazingly, this game is actually kind of fun, especially when it gets to the upper levels.

Burning Rangers - A side scrolling game where you must run to the top of a burning building. Your mission is to jump over fire and whatnot. This is freakin' HARD! The only way to do this is pure memorization. Seems fun at first but gets old quick due to the constant dying that occurs.

Face Match - Segata appears wearing many different "disguses" and the such. You see a card with him appearing a certain way, and you must match all of the other cards that have him appearing the same way. This minigame is just stupid.

Ice Skating - Segata wants you to help him see how fast he can skate on the ice. Of course, Segata is completely barefoot. That means if you let one foot stay on the ice for too long, he will completely freeze into a gigantic chunk of ice. This is kind of fun and pretty challenging, as it gets faster and faster. If you like button mashing games like Track and Field, you just might enjoy this.

Fill the Sega Trash Bin - Here objects are tossed at you from above, and you must move Segata into place to kick these items into the trash bin until it is full. This one is pretty fun (and colorful) and has you kicking some very strange things into the trash, including "Playstations" and something that I think looks like an American NES. Ha!

Segata Puyo Puyo - Plays just like Puyo Puyo (or Columns) where you must match animals of a certain color. This time you are playing for Segata's very life. The more animals that are on the screen, the more Segata's "personal space" fills up with water. Get chains/combos to reduce the amount of water. Play poorly and Segata dies a horrible death (drowning apparently isn't very fun. I've done polls).

You can also listen to Segata's radio commercials right off the bat in "The Voice of Segata Sanshiro" section, but it is boring. Watching the commercials is definitely the best part, and the quality is much better than the web downloads you may be used to seeing. Check out a couple of them below. Shinkenyugi is a fun distraction, but it doesn't have any real lasting power, that's for sure.

Brush up on your Puyo Puyo skillz to save Segata!

Check out a couple of Quicktimes! Both of these were digitized directly from the game itself. Quicktime 6 is required.

Sonic R Commercial - 1.5 MB
3 kids are going to play some baseball and have some fun when they run into Segata Sanshiro.
He cannot understand why they are not at home playing Sega Saturn. Therefore he kicks their asses.
Note how the controller is stuck to the Saturn when Segata shows it off!

Shining Force III Commercial - 1.4 MB
A bunch of teenagers are having a great time dancing, but they are NOT at home playing
Sega Saturn like they should be. This angers Segata Sanshiro, so he ends up murdering most of them.

Wrap up:
A nice tribute to Segata Sanshiro, but not the best game you will ever play. I really wish we had the Segata Sanshiro commercials on the air over here, with English voice replacing the narrator's for the actual game descriptions. I guarantee that it would have become a cult phenomenon, as the commercials are simply bizarre and downright hilarious! We'll miss you, Segata!

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 04-01-2005 at 08:26 AM.