The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 01-02-2005, 03:23 AM   #286
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Looks nice. I wonder what that huge skull was there for in the video? The music is a little too techno-ish for my tastes.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:58 AM   #287
Joe Redifer
Olé!

The skull was obviously your (the player's) bomb, just like the music which is also da bomb.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #288
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Welcome to the Altered Beast Spectacular Blowout! I review each version of everyone's favorite game of all time all on one page! The versions review in order are:
-Arcade
-Sega Genesis
-Sega Master System
-Nintendo Entertainment System
-PC Engine HuCard/CD-ROM
-Gameboy Advance
-Playstation 2 (click here to go to review)

Altered Beast
7/10
Arcade

I'd like to see Sega do "Altered Breast" which
would obviously be a boob enlargement game.

In 1988 Team Shinobi decided to release a new game called Altered Beast. Team Shinobi (who had previously made "Shinobi" amazingly enough) decided on a slower paced game that was also much shorter. Sega told them that they has exactly 15.2 megabits (1.9 MB) to work with and absolutely NO MORE! So we get Altered Beast. You control a zombie (or maybe it's Jesus?) who has risen from the grave in order to rescue the daughter of the false god Zeus. Zeus must be pretty weak if he must rely on a corpse or two to save Athena. You'll play through 5 crazy rounds and change into 4 different beasts... all of which happen to be "altered". The evil Neff will try to defeat you, though he must be an underachiever considering the "ferocity" of his attacks.

You've got a snazzy outfit for a zombie.

Graphics: 8/10
For the time these graphics were pretty damed cool. Tons of color and smooth gradients made for a very nice looking image. There was ample usage of scaling and flying body parts. The animation is superb and really gives it that arcade (for the day) feel. The creature design is pretty cool, with lots of zombies and other formerly dead things roaming the screen. One thing about the graphics that chaps my ass is the scrolling. Although multiple layers are used, they all scroll at the same speed, which means ZERO parallax scrolling and next to no sense of depth. This is an arcade game! The Genesis version had parallax scrolling, why not the mighty original version? I have a weak theory on this, and I'll tell all in my Genesis review below. Why don't I tell you now? Because I like making you scroll!

Once you turn into this smilin' guy
be prepared to cause some major damage!

Sound: 7/10
Lots of voice goin' on in this game. Well, moderate amounts of voice anyway. When you start the game you'll hear "Rise from your grave". Yes, it's actually pronounced correctly. When you get to the boss of the stage, Neff will politely welcome you to your doom, which usually turns out to be his doom, but it's a warm gesture nonetheless. And you get grunts and screams when you are injured or die. There is also a separate scream just for falling down a hole in level 3. The other sounds like hits, smacks, crashes and splats are all average fair for Sega arcade games... which is good! The music to this game is actually pretty good, though it is very low in volume being an arcade game. After you turn into the altered beast, the music that plays until the end of the round is classic Sega; great melody!

The movie "Schindler's List" ripped this idea
off from Sega, with color over black and white.

Gameplay: 7/10
You may be amazed that I rated the gameplay so high being that the game only has 5 levels, moves slowly and isn't revolutionary. But you need to remember my pro-Sega bias and that requires me to "grade with a curve" on such games. Not buying that? OK. But for 50 cents you could do faaar worse in an arcade. You get two-player simultaneous action and 4 different beasts to turn into, all of which have different powers and are fun to control. Except maybe the bear. I'm not too fond of that damn bear. The game moves along slowly and you must collect orbs to become the beast for that level. After the first orb you get a little bit bigger and your shirt rips to expose your macho chest. The second orb makes you the most manliest of all manly men and your head becomes the size of an apple. You are so sexy that only your underwear remains. The 3rd orb takes you so far beyond manly that you must turn into a beast! Once you do become the beast, Neff will turn into the boss and fight you. If you approach him while only a crappy human, he'll walk away insulted that you would dare approach him that way. I don't know why he doesn't try to fight you like that being as he'd have a far greater chance of victory. Neff must be a dumbass. You fight and destroy him and move on to the next level (surprise surprise!).

It's arcadey-good fun for the most part, but there is one thing that really annoys me. And that's bouncing off of the enemies. White wolves carry the orbs that are required to power yourself up. And when they appear on the screen you are often too busy bouncing back and forth between bunches of other enemies to even get to the wolves. And there really isn't anything you can do about it other than die and hope that you reappear elsewhere on the screen. Some of the enemies have a better reach than you do, and defeating them can be an exercise in patience. But that's probably the only exercise you ever get, fat ass! Oh well. I also wish I could turn into a unique beast during the 5th and final level, but nope. At least they turn me into the best beast. Still this is a fun game to play and I enjoy myself as I play it, and that's why it gets a 7 and not a 6.

You think that snake will eat that purple creature from Golden Axe?

Wrap up:
The best version of Altered Beast, and by far the closest version to the arcade, if not better. Waitaminute... this IS the arcade!

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 07-11-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #289
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Altered Beast
7/10
Sega Genesis

I can't believe Sega of America
didn't totally screw up the box art!

When Sega released the Genesis in the US, they decided to pack in the great arcade mega-hit Altered Beast. This was a good move as it let potential customers know that Sega was all about the arcade experience. And considering the game's 3 meg size (some insist that it's 2 meg, but the ROM size is 512KB which is 4 meg, so I compromise), it really comes close to the arcade experience and even surpassing it in a couple of ways. I still have the copy that came with my Genesis on the day it was released, and the cartridge itself is turning very dark for some reason, but the box still looks great (that's my box that I scanned up there) and the game still works perfectly.

Looks pretty close to the arcade!

Graphics: 7/10
While the colors aren't quite as vibrant as the arcade, it really does look incredibly close... at least the backgrounds do, so it gets points for that. Many of the enemies are smaller and there has been a major cut to the animation. Also removed from the arcade game was all of the scaling and flying body parts. This made me sad because at the time all of the mags had reported the Genesis as being capable of "scaling and tracking". One area the game surpasses the arcade is in the scrolling. Each level (except 4) has multiple layers of parallax scrolling that even the arcade didn't do. My weak theory is that the arcade purposely removed the parallax scrolling knowing that the Genesis version wouldn't have the scaling, and thus the Genesis would "make up" for that lacking feature with the cool scrolling. Like I said it was a weak theory. There is noticeable flicker in this game as well. But it does run at the same exact resolution as the arcade (320x224) and comes the closest to looking like the original version.

The werewolf's chest disappears behind the fire!

Sound: 6/10
Why couldn't they just re-use the voices from the arcade? Why did they have to go and record new ones? Now when we start the game we hear "Wise fwum yo gwave"! When you get an orb, the voice that says "Power up!" sounds really clean, but it also resets the music when that happens... every time. And then the "Welcome to your doom" sounds odd, like it's trying to be evil. The arcade sounded like a normal human when this was said. Once again the music is actually pretty good, with good melodies here and there and decent sound quality. I really like the stage 2 music (when listened to in the sound test so that I can hear the whole thing properly), and it sounds better here than it does in the arcade if you can believe that. Hell, I'd say that most of the music here sounds better than the arcade. Unfortunately the presentation of the music kind of sucks. In the first level you will notice that the drums appear and disappear depending on what other sound effects are happenin'. I hate that. Also the entire game is presented in glorious MONO! Ug.

The background is now in color! The new Genesis
truly must be a powerful machine to handle that!

Gameplay: 7/10
The gameplay is exactly like the arcade, and I assume you've read my arcade review above so I'm not going over the basics again. But this is a pretty faithful conversion with good control. In fact it is by far the best controlling home version of this game. The Genesis pad had 3 buttons so you can punch, kick and jump all effortlessly. Not so in the other home versions which have you pressing a combinations of buttons or pressing UP to jump, thus compromising the control scheme tremendously in my book. There are also lots of secret modes in this version, like a sound test, round select, and a mode where you can choose which beast appears on which level. It's cool that they let us alter the game like that (pun not intended or worried about). This version is easier than the arcade, though. And you'll beat it in no time flat. But it does retain the two-player simultaneous feature and that's cool, especially if you like flicker. Can YOU beat my awesome high score of 1,310,400 that I got on October 13, 1989?

No, you can't ride the chicken stinger until Golden Axe
is invented. So for now you'll just have to kill it.

Wrap up:
I enjoyed this game when I got my Genesis. Now if this was the included game with the Gamecube, I'd probably be a tad disappointed.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #290
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Altered Beast
4/10
Sega Master System

Even the SMS version gets a great box cover.
I'm not sure which box I like better!

Not long before the Genesis was released in the US, Sega made a 2 meg version of Altered Beast for the Master System. It came out, but I knew that it would come with the Genesis so I didn't buy it. But I did rent it and I actually enjoyed it! But then again I was still embedded in the 8-bit world of videogames at the time.

Even the default hi-score is identical
to the arcade! Absolutely amazing!

Graphics: 5/10
Rating the graphics for this version is pretty hard. The characters are huge, there is lots of color, and everything remains pretty faithful to the arcade version. But then again everything moves so choppily that it is hard to play. So I'll rate the graphics right smack in the middle at 5. There is a moderate amount of flicker as well which will excite and stimulate you. But I keep telling myself that this is an 8-bit game, and it looks pretty damn good for an 8-bit game. When you defeat an enemy, they explode into a whole bunch of sprites just like the Sega Master System hit "Black Belt", though that was a cooler game. The two-headed wolves barely look like anything in this version. Oh well. This game does not support widescreen or any HDTV resolutions.

Why doesn't his fur catch on fire?

Sound: 6/10
While the beast music and the ending music are fantastic, the other music is super-mega-hyper-extra average. There is a weird "THWACK" type of sound effect when your enemies explode. Many of the voices are gone but they did manage to include a scream which sounds like your guy just stubbed his toe, "Power up!", an elephant's wail when you change into a werewolf (that's what it sounds like!) and Neff's laugh after he owns you by taking away your powers after you beat his ass (why doesn't he take them away from you AS you fight? Again Neff must be retarded). A fairly decent sound package for the Master System, and that's why I rate it the same as the Genesis version.

Hadoken!!

Gameplay: 4/10
As mentioned before, this game is really choppy. Amazingly I was able to beat it the first night I rented it, so it doesn't hinder the game play too bad. Well actually yes it does. In order to jump you must press the punch and kick buttons at the same time which is a pain. But most of the beasts and levels are here (they forgot to include round 3 which is the bear level). But it's just so damn choppy! Also you only have to power up twice instead of 3 times to become the beast. I enjoyed it while I had posession of the game, but even then I thought it was too choppy. The choppiness kills it. Also this version is only a single-player game. But I'm still a bit amazed at what they were able to pull off on this system!

Your guy changes into different colored clothes for
each level in a sad attempt to avoid going out of style.

Wrap up:
Get ready for a choppy-good time! Better than the NES version, at least.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 10-08-2006 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #291
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Altered Beast
2/10
Nintendo Entertainment System / Famicom

I don't have a box cover for you,
so you get a title screen instead.
Huzzah!!

Can you believe that there was even an NES version of Altered Beast? Well there was, and it was made by rockin' videogame powerhouse Asmik. Like the Sega Master System version, this version is 2 megabit and runs on an 8-bit machine. But oh lordy did they ever drop the ball! This game kind of resembles Altered Beast I suppose. And it's quite humorous to play due to how wrong they get the game for the most part. But they did go out of their way and add some new stuff that is not in any other Altered Beast game.

The NES proves it is more powerful than the SMS.

Graphics: 1/10
Ug! For some reason nearly HALF of the screen is taken up by your power meter, current stage number and remaining lives. I guess the NES is not powerful enough to run this amazing game full screen. Or maybe it's Asmik who's not powerful enough. Usually there are not more than 6 colors onscreen at any given time, and your character barely even looks like a man. Extra flicker has been added to make up for the missing detail on every tiny sprite. Everything moves really really fast though, and some of the original bosses look almost OK. But sheesh! I don't think Asmik was looking to sell many copies because they must have rushed through this big time. The NES is capable of much, much better as we have seen countless times before.

The boss tosses his heads incredibly fast.

Sound: 4/10
Where are the voices? All of the voices are gone! And this game is the same size as the SMS version which has voices! The sound effects are mostly the typical washy/fuzzy type of sounds you hear in low-end NES games. The music on the other had isn't too bad. There is some original music for the new stages and it sounds alright as well.

The graphics are almost too intense.

Gameplay: 2/10
Oy vey! What the hell? This game plays really, really fast compared to every other version of Altered Beast out there (except the GBA version which is on speed). You are resorted to jumping by pressing UP and that can be really tough to get used to in a platform game. In fact I couldn't get past the bear stage (stage 4) because of gaping holes that could not be jumped over and ledges that could not be reached. In proper versions of this game, you can jump higher by pressing UP and JUMP at the same time. But since UP also acts as the jump button here, there is no way to do a high jump. I tried everything I could think of. No dice. When you punch or kick things, you have about an extra foot of reach in front of you than it appears onscreen. So you can actually kill enemies without even touching them at all (or so it seems). The new stage is kind of annoying and if you don't use your extra reach to your advantage you'll never defeat any enemies. They like to throw a lot of flying beasts at you which are all very tough to beat. Overall the play control is pretty sloppy and it is hard to reap much enjoyment out of this game.

This new stage looks like it came out of Ghouls n' Ghosts.

Wrap up:
A hilarious version of the game that's only worth playing in order to laugh at.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 10-08-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #292
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Altered Beast
5/10
TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine HuCard/CD-ROM 1.0

Hey! It's the same box art as the Genesis version!
How can I possibly tell them apart on the shelf?

NEC wasn't about to have the only system in the world that didn't sport a version of everyone's favorite game Altered Beast, so they had NEC Avenue (known for ruining Space Harrier and other Sega hits on the PC Engine) make a 3 meg version of Altered Beast for the system. Hell they'd even make a version for the CD-ROM as well as the HuCard! NEC meant business. However the CD-ROM version absolutely REQUIRES the System Card 1.0, which was never released in the US and only came with the early PC Engine CD systems. But still, the CD-ROM version is the preferable version to own, even though it has it's own flaws that will piss you off. But at least it won't drive you insane like the HuCard version will with its difficulty.

Exploding heads enhance ANY game!

Surprisingly the graphics are pretty good. All of the characters are there and they are the same size as the arcade version, even the wolves. There is lots of bold color though the levels do look a bit chinsier compared to the arcade version. The true scaling is gone but it does have the flying body parts. And of course it didn't even dare try to have parallax scrolling like the Genesis version. But overall this game looks fairly good in comparison to the other versions, and even Neff tries to scale larger when you encounter him. The CD-ROM version has a "Story" option that you can select at the title screen, and it basically shows you digitized stills while explaining the story in Japanese and playing music from the arcade game. There are no cut-scenes in the game.

Good boy! Wanna go for a walk?

Sound: 5/10
The TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine's sound chip really wasn't too much better than the one in the NES. In fact most HuCard/TurboChip games sound remarkably similar to NES games with their fuzzy tones, only more pleasant-sounding. Altered Beast is no different. But at least this version is in stereo. All of the voices are gone in the HuCard version, though they do try to do some sort of weird synthesized scream when you die, but it sounds like ass. The music sounds similar to the NES version in sound quality, but a bit better. I can't say you'd be amazed by any sounds this game makes, though. The CD-ROM version has all of the voices direct from the arcade and they sound great, but the music is the same as the HuCard! The arcade music is streamed off of the CD for the story voiceover, but that's it.

If you enjoy heart attacks you will enjoy fighting this boss.

Gameplay: 5/10
Well, you have to press UP to jump in this version, but it works out much better than the NES version. You can high jump by holding UP for a bit longer. The main problem with jumping is that Mr. Altered Beast wants to crouch before he actually jumps, which causes a delay. The CD-ROM version lets you choose from normal or hard modes. You want the normal mode, trust me. The HuCard only offers the hard mode, which will drive you to murder the programmers who made this. In fact I even broke a controller because of the HuCard version! It is relentless... you get knocked down and by the time you actually decide to get up, something else is there to knock you back down and immediately kill you! It doesn't even matter if you hold the controller or not, you are helpless! The CD-ROM version is a bit weird. As you play, the screen will freeze occasionally as it decides to load more data throughout the round. If you aren't using System Card 1.0, then the game stops advancing once you turn into the werewolf and you're never able to finish the stage. With the HuCard version the game is so damned hard that you'll be lucky to ever finish the stage. It can be done but BOY is it a pain in the ass! Other than the difficulty select, the watchable story slideshow, and the voices, there are really no differences between the CD and the HuCard version. But like I said, you'll want the CD-ROM version if you can play it simply due to it's lack of frustration.

You can even bring a friend to share the rage
in the HuCard version.

The CD-ROM version offers a selectable "STORY" mode
which is nothing but a telling of the story with still pics.

Wrap up:
A pretty damned good port, all things considered. HuCard will cause high blood pressure. CD-ROM will cause major annoyance due to the loading during gameplay.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #293
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Altered Beast: Guardian of the Realms
2/10
GameBoy Advance

If you see this box, immediately run away.

Eeewwwwwww!!!! That's the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about my time playing the GameBoy Advance version of Altered Beast. This 8MB (64 megs) game was made by 3d6 Games. I have never heard of them before, and hopefully I'll never hear of them again. This game is bad and totally rapes what is known as Altered Beast.

You can PUNISH your naughty GBA by making it run this game.

Graphics: 3/10
Let's start off with the good news. There is parallax scrolling, and lots of it. In fact there are usually 4 layers at any given time. The front-most layer can even get in front of you and obscure your view which is super-enjoyable. There is also some scaling and rotation. Now for the bad news: EVERYTHING ELSE! Everything is computer generated and digitized, giving the entire game the same exact look and feel as Donkey Kong Country on the SNES. Donkey Kong Country had absolutely horrible graphics, even for its time. And so does this. It looks grainy as all hell and the character design is among the worst I've ever seen! Just look at these pictures and see for yourself how goofy everything looks. On top of that, the animation is completely laughable. What happened?! I bet this game was made in the USA. It sure looks like it.

After 20 minutes, you finally turn into a beast.

Sound: 3/10
Well, all of the voices from the arcade are here, even the "Never give up" when you continue. They are newly recorded voices, but they sound great. There are also lot of other vocal effects and whatnot. The regular sound effects didn't strike me as anything special at all, and the music never ever gets good. In fact it remains pretty quiet, like the arcade. But that doesn't hide the fact that it sucks.

OK... Ummm... I'm not really sure what to say about that
werewolf. Looks like something out of a Scooby Doo mystery. While
you're at it, check out the lame first boss he is attacking.

Gameplay: 2/10
I think the designers may have played the real Altered Beast once about 10 years before making this game. It works in a similar way; get power ups to become a beast and fight a boss. But there are also tons of other power ups that you can get that last for a limited amount of time as well. The stages are incredibly long and it takes forever to turn into the beast. There are no white wolves to look out for, unfortunately. The bosses look horrible and seem to be based on Greek myths or something else just as ridiculous. They are nowhere near as cool as the bosses in the regular Altered Beast which were based on death and coolness. Once you beat the boss you get a key to the next stage. And there are a ton of stages! You can also repeat stages if you didn't find the talisman. Talk about boring! I don't want to be searching for specific items while playing Altered Beast. The game moves extremely fast, and you can even get an adrenalin power up that makes you move at hyper-speed, literally taking less than a seond to walk from one side of the screen to the other. The game offers no excitement, no fun, and no encouragement to continue playing for any reason.

Your dude looks like a boxer now.

Wrap up:
If you are prone to contemplating suicide, DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME!

And thus ends my Altered Beast Spectacular Blowout!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:03 AM   #294
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Worth mentioning: I'm not sure about the arcade version, but if you come up to Neff three times in a row in the Genesis version you'll be forced to fight him. Anyway, nice reviews but AB is too short and a tad too repetitive for me to give it a high rating. Note to Sega ~ Next time you want to do a sequel, do it yourselves!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:23 AM   #295
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Altered Beast is no more repetitive than, say, Thunder Force IV. All you do is shoot. And shoot! Anyway if Altered Beast were JUST a home game, I might rate it a point lower. But since it was an arcade game and I have fond memories of the arcade game, it gets a 7, which isn't "great" but certainly not bad.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:27 AM   #296
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I don't mean in terms of gameplay but because of how limited it is. The enemies generally suck and are easily dealt with, the bosses, while cool, are rather easy, and the game lasts a mere 10 minutes or so. I too am fond of old titles like AB but, realistically, it isn't as exciting as it used to be. It's "worn off," so to speak. Speaking of Thunder Force IV, yeah, all you do is shoot, but there's a tremendous variety of stuff to kill, the challenge is exciting and it requires you to have fast reflexes, adding much to both the excitement and fun factors.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 01-03-2005 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:03 AM   #297
SavedFromSin
RAWR!!!

dude i have the fondest memories playing alter beast when i was a kid on the arcade. i remember going to some hic town in the middle of the desert in CA with my family and that being the only arcade they had. Man, memories, i love em!

The above post wasn't checked for: spelling or grammatical errors, comma splices, awkward phrases, run-on sentences, subject-verb agreement, and other errors in the English language.
PSN=MrBear14518 XboxLive=Teaching Bear
SavedFromSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:56 PM   #298
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Super Mario World
9/10
Super Nintendo

3 megs of sheer fun!

Super Mario World is the best game to come free with a game system at launch EVER. Let's see what was launched with other systems: NES - Super Mario Bros, SMS - Hang-on/Safari Hunt/Astro Warrior, Genesis - Altered Beast, TurboGrafx-16 - Keith Courage in Alpha Zones, Saturn - Virtua Fighter, PlayStation - demo disc. After that systems stopped coming with games. Yup, Super Mario World is a much better game than all of those. I am amazed that Nintendo did not sell this separately. They could have made dozens of dollars. But I guess they wanted to give people an incentive to buy the Super Nintendo, and boy did they ever!

Yoshi has a tapeworm and is always hungry.

When I first saw Super Mario World, I was not at all impressed by its mega-simple super baby graphics. There is a lack of detail and not many special effects. Some of the artwork is straight out of a child's coloring book. But surprisingly the graphics really do fit the game quite well. You get up to 3 layers of scrolling at once, a mild amount of scaling and rotation when fighting the boss characters, and some really nice colors here and there. You even get some mild transparencies! There is also an odd mosaic effect that effectively lowers the resolution of the background layers when Mario enters a world or doorway. Suddenly the screen is a pile of garbled blocks (except for the sprites). I'm not sure if this is supposed to be impressive or not. I don't like this effect at all. Some people think it is actually scaling because it is blocky, but nope, it's not scaling. The only time I thought this effect was put to good use was in the SNES Zelda when Link would get zapped. There is also some slowdown when you get to the end of the world and the screen does a circle wipe as you transition back out to the map. Other than that the stage design is very well done and all of the enemies look cute enough to hug! I always feel bad when I have Mario murder them (which is usually totally unprovoked).

You can use turtle shells in strategic ways.

Sound: 8/10
Koji Kondo created the best music for a Mario game ever for this game. Well Mario 64 has great music as well, so it might be a tie. You get tons of themes and they all sound great! Well almost all of them. The title screen music does not do much to separate Mario World from it's hyper-baby image. It sounds like something you'd play for a baby in its crib. I hate kids. Anyway besides that the music is great! When you hop on Yoshi you get congo drums added to whatever music happens to be playing. But Koji was way too lazy to add the drums to the Ghost House or Castle themes, so that is why Yoshi is not allowed in those areas. I wish the Japanese wouldn't be so lazy all of the time. But these tunes literally define the Mario universe. Koji liked it so much that he is having great difficulty moving beyond the SNES sound set. This is why many new games with Koji Kondo music still sound almost exactly like the SNES. There are no voices in this game nor any digitized sound effects, but it is in stereo and they even added reverb in some stages to impress the living hell out of you! A classic soundtrack.

Evolution is proven as Mario can stay underwater
indefinitely, meaning that he obviously has gills.

Gameplay: 9/10
This is where the meat of the game lies, of course! While some of the graphics and the title screen music may be meant for little babies, the gameplay certainly is not! It's made more for the 13-21 year-old set. The control is a bit floaty... Mario will continue to move after you've let go of the D-Pad. But you'll get used to it and once you do the game is pure gold. It's by far the best Mario platform style game (yes, better than Super Mario Bros 3) and the game is fairly long, especially if you want to find all of the worlds. It is pretty easy to score a bunch of one-ups so for the most part this game is kind of easy, but don't be fooled... this game is incredibly engaging and it delivers. Many of the stages have multiple exits that you need to find if you want everything. Each boss has constructed their own castle which you must destroy (you seem to have no respect for other's property). Some new things are introduced to the Mario universe in this game, like Yoshi. Even though Yoshi is around when Mario is a little baby, he introduces himself to Mario like it is the first time they have ever met for some reason. Yoshi can breath fire when he swallows certain types of enemies, and each fireball has its own face and is ALIVE! Yoshi sure gets owned by Bowser quite often, as according to him Bowser is the one who traps him in eggs. Once again you must rescue Princess Peach or Toadstool or whatever the bitch's name is. She is a whore and should be shot dead because she obviously causes more trouble than she's worth, and Republicans do not like cross-species relationships like Bowser and Toadstool/Peach. Bowser, being a deviant, obviously approves of this type of arrangement since he keeps kidnapping her to take part in his twisted sexual fantasies (seriously, why ELSE would he kidnap her? Ransom? No way. There is abundant cash in each stage). He'll burn in hell! Once you beat the game (and you will) it is fun to play through again and again. The fact that it's so long and came with the system really makes it a gem.

An evil Kirby attacks (don't even try to tell me that's not Kirby)
as a green blob approaches which is somehow transparent to
the background, but not the foreground or sprites. WTF?

Wrap up:
This is my favorite Mario game. Well it's probably a toss-up between this and Mario 64 (N64 version).

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 01-05-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:07 AM   #299
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

This is my favorite Mario game as well. I like Mario 3 but I hate that all the stages are so damn short. It is infinitely playable and just kicks ass.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:34 AM   #300
NES4EVER
Gibby

Great reviews on Altered Beast & SMW Joe, SMW was also my favorite of the mario platform series. I also agree that it was one of the best pack-in games of all time. However I have gotten many other great titles as pack-ins including the "Zelda Collector's" in NGC & most recently "Top Spin" tennis in XBOX. The worst pack-in ever that I got was the "Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer" game with N64

Had "Super Mario's Wacky Worlds" been released on CD-I it might have been one of my favs too below is a link with screenies of that game.

http://spoonman.roarvgm.com/cdi/mario.html
PSN ID - GIBBYVA
NES4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote