The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 12-21-2004, 07:28 PM   #256
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Then I guess GI must suck balls. But GI Joe is cool.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 09:01 PM   #257
NES4EVER
Gibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
Then I guess GI must suck balls. But GI Joe is cool.
/NOD GI JOE owns.

I wish they would make some decent games of GI Joe. Same with Transformers, which they finally made a decent one this year of. I would even think that He-Man & Thundercats would have been made in some modern day games by now. They can spit out 35 Lego games a year, why no cool Hasbro, etc. 80's based action figure/tv show games?
PSN ID - GIBBYVA
NES4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 10:10 PM   #258
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I'll have to give Virtua Quest a try. I wasn't interested at all, but after reading Joe's super awesome review I'll give it a shot.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:43 PM   #259
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Shikigami no Shiro II
AKA: Castle Shikigami 2
8/10
Gamecube Nintendo

I really hate the boxes for the Japanese
Gamecube. They are absolute crap.

The prequel to this game was released as Mobile Light Force in the US. Gamers barely noticed or cared. But Taito's Alfa System decided to give us a much better game with the sequel which is also available on the Dreamcast and the US PS2 for a very low price ($10 I think). You should pick it up. But this is the Gamecube Nintendo version we are looking at here, so not all features are guaranteed to be in the PS2 version and vice-versa. Still, for only $10, why not?

I can not think of an exciting caption for this picture.

Graphics: 7/10
The graphics are fairly typical of the "Ikaruga-era" of vertical shooters. There isn't much here to set it apart. 480p is here, but obviously widescreen is not supported, being that this is a vertical shooter. Enemy designs are decent but don't really stand out from a graphical point of view, and there aren't any flaws with the graphics that I can see. One unique aspect is that the aura surrounding your character will change color depending on how "tense" the situation is. The more danger you are in (closer to the enemy or enemy bullets, etc), the more red your aura becomes. That's pretty cool. Most everything is made up of polygons, though there are some overlayed 2D graphics, with stage 3-1 being a great example of this. The illustrations in the gallery are very high-res and can be zoomed in to a great degree before any blockiness occurs. As with most vertical shooters, you have a variety of TV modes to choose from including horizontal where the game is played at it's correct size and you must tilt your TV on it's side. I played the game in this mode to capture all of the pictures in this review and even the Quicktime video (see below), because I value high quality and also because I love you. I dream about you every night and want you to have only the best screenshots and Quicktimes.

Before you fight a boss, you talk about how
things are going, how your day has been, and
other exciting things like that.

Some of the bosses are pretty
damn tough. Not this one.

Sound: 7/10
You get two choices of music right off the bat; Original or S2 Remix. The original has some pretty good music and I like it quite a bit. I highly recommend listening to it. The S2 Remix is more techno-ey and definitely less impressive, but you might as well listen to it once just to hear it. Sound effects range from average to kind of cool, and there is a lot of voice during the cut scenes. The Japanese truly do love nothing more than to listen to each other babble endlessly. Why the player and the bosses would have things to say to each other is beyond me. After you complete a stage your character will come onscreen and talk to him/herself out loud! Obviously your character needs to be checked into a mental institution as talking to one's self is an indication of SEVERE mental illness and murderous tendencies!

I hope you enjoy the classic Sega hit "Columns"!
You must match up the colors in horizontal rows to
defeat the boss, and you can't destroy the gold
blocks. But the red ones can be destroyed using
your special attack, and the grey ones can
be destroyed by your normal shots.

Gameplay: 8/10
There's more to the gameplay than meets the eye at first. When you first play it, you'll think you're playing just another vertical shooter from Japan, only using humans as characters. It is actually much deeper than that. You have 8 characters to choose from, and they each have two modes. I fail to see the difference between the two modes, though. They both look and play the same to me. Then there is the fact that the more danger you are in, the more damage your bullets do to the enemy, the more coins you can get and the higher your multipliers can be. I have no idea why you collect coins. There are no shops to buy anything at. Some of the bosses are genius in their design. I especially like the stage 3-1 boss, which reminds me of playing Columns. You have your normal shot, your special "hold-down-da-button" attack and your bomb. Each character has different attacks and bombs which adds to the replay value tremendously. Another unique thing about this game is that there is an option to TURN ON SLOWDOWN! Sign me up, I want the slowdown on, baby! Slowdown freakin' ROCKS! Yes, you can toggle the slowdown on and off! Where was this feature on the SNES? I can't seem to find the option to turn flicker and low resolution on, though. The arcade probably had slowdown, so I am assuming it's in there to fully replicate the arcade feel. It's best to use the D-Pad rather than the analog stick to control this game, as it does not offer more than 8 directions, so the D-Pad is quicker and more precise. If you choose to use the analog instead, then you are a horrible human being. The game has 10 levels for you to complete and also an extreme mode which limits your continues. It even has an online ranking, but don't get a huge erection just yet... it doesn't use the modem or the BBA. Instead it uses the incredibly lame "Write down this password and input it on our shoddy website" type of ranking. Bleh. The game doesn't seem super hard at first thanks to a very small hit area on your character, but your continues will run out quickly. You must improve greatly if you plan on beating this game. There are bullets everywhere in this game, and sometimes it can be overwhelming. Check out this short 9MB Quicktime video of level 3-1 for a very small example of this. Wow, and it gets much crazier than this in the later levels! This game also offers two-player simultaneous action.

Better pay up now before the rates go up!

Wrap up:
Not a bad li'l shooter for the Japanese Gamecube. Quite fun!
Old 12-23-2004, 01:04 AM   #260
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

Great Review Joe, I actually have the dc version of this game, burned and original(I pirated it before I actually bought it). the secret to dogding the bullets in this gamea are the same as the strategy used in DoDonpachi. The screen is flodded with bullets, but thier fairly slow, so you can easily find an opening and rush through the barrage of bullets.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:27 PM   #261
gearhound
Versus the World

:cool guy:
Quote:
For the NES, there isn't much if anything that sounds better than Mega Man 2.
actually, there are quite a few. megaman 2 is my favorite megaman game. i think blaster master, ninja gaiden 1-3, snakes revenge are up there
Old 12-28-2004, 11:14 PM   #262
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Blaster Master is definitely up there. I don't recall anything memorable from the Ninja Gaidens and I'm not even sure if I've played Snake's Revenge or not.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:36 AM   #263
gearhound
Versus the World

dude, the music in all the gaiden games kicks ass!!
Old 12-29-2004, 01:15 AM   #264
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 had great soundtracks. Part 3 just bites, even in terms of gameplay. It's a complete waste of space.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 02:12 AM   #265
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Gearhound, you also thought the music from Metroid Prime kicked ass. I don't even remember any music from that game at all... only boredom.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:40 AM   #266
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Keith Courage in Alpha Zones
3/10
TurboGrafx-16

The sad thing is that Keith has better
artwork than most TurboGrafx-16 boxes.

The Turbografx-16 was a failure. So was the TurboDuo (same thing, different shape). It is all the fault of this game... Keith Courage in Alpha Zones! This game was packed in with the Turbo when it was released in the US. The Genesis was packed in with Altered Beast which was a recognizable arcade hit. The SNES was packed in with Super Mario World which was the best Mario game ever made. But what is this "Keith Courage" that we get with the Turbo? Nobody had ever heard of Keith, much less had any interest in playing him. And when they did play the game... woo boy were people ever disappointed! By the time the TurboDuo came out, it was too late. Everyone hated the system because of Keith. If NEC had packed, say, Legendary Axe or Super Mario World in with the Turbo, we'd all still be playing this system today. The CD-ROM attachment would still be priced at $400 due to its rapid sales, and systems would never have progressed beyond the 16-bit generation all because the Turbo would have dominated the world and nobody would need anything newer. But noooo... thanks to Keith Courage we were all forced to spend tons and tons of money on each new system that comes out every 4 or 5 years. Yup, all because of Keith!!!!

You do NOT look like the mega-cool dude on the box cover.

Graphics: 4/10
The graphics are almost OK, somewhat colorful and some of the enemies look kind of cool. But then you get to stage 2 and everything looks the same, with a few different colors. And then stage 3... waitaminute! Each stage looks way too similar to the last. I got ripped off with this game! I want to return my TurboGrafx-16 because obviously it cannot handle awesome graphics! I'll get me one of them cool Genesis systems instead. There is no multilayer scrolling (which the Turbo had an extremely tough time with anyway due to it only having a single background layer built into the hardware) and the enemies all repeat each stage.

Imagine having a gun permanently
affixed to your head and no torso.

Sound: 5/10
When Keith swings his sword in the overworld, the sound effect is "bleep!". Yes, a bleep. The music is OK in the overworld, but it wears on you quick. It tries to be happy and bouncy but instead just makes you angry. There are no voices in the game like there were in Sega's included Altered Beast. Get to the underworld and the sound effects become much cooler and even louder. The music also improves and isn't half-bad! There aren't too many tunes in the game, though. At least Keith Courage is in stereo, whereas Sega's included Altered Beast was in mono. But everyone but me used RF connections to hook their systems up to their TVs back in that time anyway, so all everyone but me heard was mono no matter what system they chose.

They actually hired someone to draw the game screens
for the instructions instead of simply taking pictures.

Gameplay: 3/10
The game comes with an illustrated comic book explaining Keith's incredibly deep back story. After an asteroid hits, Earth is taken over by the Beastly Alien Dudes (B.A.D.). The world comes together and forms the Nations of International Citizens for Earth (N.I.C.E.). Most game players belong to the group of We Have Open Cuts Acquired by playing this REvolting, Sh!tty game (W.H.O. C.A.R.E.S.). Talk about repetitive! You wander through and overworld, killing little annoying creatures to gather money. You hop on over to the end of the level, press UP and a rainbow takes you away, just like Katamari Damacy. But instead of building cool piles of junk, you get to battle through a mediocre stage. The controls are much more responsive in the underworld, but the enemies appear out of nowhere and keep reappearing again and again, which makes the game quite annoying... annoying enough to cut yourself as an alternative method of fun. You go down and down and finally get to a crappy boss and defeat it. Then you take a rainbow back to the overworld with its floaty controls and do the same thing again and again with slightly different stages and bosses. There are 7 stages total, each with and over and underworld. While this game has more stages than Altered Beast, it sure has MUCH less variety. The difficulty is adequate, I suppose. You can buy better (and longer) swords, more bombs to use (up to 99... wow!) and more life. Yee haw. In the underworld stages you can collect items that defeated enemies drop, like hearts which will refill your life or a number. The numbers affect your bombs. The higher number you get, the more bombs you launch at once. Speaking of bombs, this game was the best seller for the TurboGrafx-16 until Bonk came out. Everyone who had a Turbo also had Keith Courage. Mr. popular!

A picture of a person who is
playing Keith Courage in Alpha Zones.

A picture of a person who is NOT
playing Keith Courage in Alpha Zones.

Wrap up:
What a horrible little game to include with the system! I can't believe that so many companies were involved in its production (Sunrise - R - NAS - NTV - and NEC). Yecchh!!
Old 12-29-2004, 06:58 PM   #267
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Gearhound, you also thought the music from Metroid Prime kicked ass. I don't even remember any music from that game at all... only boredom.
go buy the soundtrack
Old 12-29-2004, 08:51 PM   #268
Joe Redifer
Olé!

No.

Laguna Racer
0/10
Arcade

Check out the "game screen". It's NOTHING like the
real game. Midway is nothing but a bunch of liars!

In the magical year of 1977, Midway broke the technological barriers of videogames with their new "3 dimensional driving game with gear shift control". The world was so blown away that it shut down for a few weeks just to recover from the greatness that was this game. Elvis also died in 1977. Coincidence? I think not. This game is more awesome than I am!

Graphics: 0/10
Well the graphics are advertised as being "3 dimensional", but really it is vertical with a light tilt forward. There is no color, and no scaling. I give it a whole 1 point for trying to look 3D. Waitaminute.... that is way to high! I'm taking that point away... the graphics get a ZERO!

I've been racing for less than 20 seconds
and I've already gone over 200 miles!

Sound: 0/10
The game advertises "Realistic engine, acceleration, and crashing sound effects". Ha ha yeah right. I wonder if Yuzo Koshiro did the sound to this one. Oh wait he was probably only 3 or 4 years old at the most. So maybe he did do the sound. It does not seem to be in Dolby Digital 5.1 channel sound for some odd reason.

The crash graphics DESTROY Burnout 3!

Gameplay: 0/0
This game is so awesome to play! You start out by shifting to LOW GEAR and pressing the gas. A second later you shift to HIGH GEAR. Next you avoid cars by steering left, or maybe even right. The choice is yours. Don't worry, there are no turns in this great arcade hit. You just keep going forward until you crash. Soon the other cars will start AIMING for you, just like real life. The game features revolutionary analog control in the form of a steering wheel and a gas pedal. You can go up to 200 miles per hour, but the "MILES" meter in the upper right corner idicates that I am going about 5 miles per second. That's faster than anyone has ever gone ever! I was able to drive over 800 miles in less than 2 minutes. That's the equivalent of from my house in Denver, Colorado to south Dallas, Texas. In real life that drive takes about 11.5 to 12 hours with minimal stops. So Laguna Racer really gives you a sense of speed that you can't get in real life, and that's whay it's a huge draw. It's amazing that sequel upon sequel hasn't been made for this game.

Only 877 miles? if you're realy good, you can
drive around the entire world in about 10 minutes.

Wrap up:
A horrible game, even for the time. And Midway didn't even include "Fatalities" which usually makes up for horrible gameplay.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:16 AM   #269
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Laguna Racer looks incredible! I can't believe I haven't played this epic racer yet. Those graphics put Daytona USA to shame!

Way to go Midway!
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:09 PM   #270
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Devastators
4/10
Arcade

Feed the beast inside your body!
Ummm, animals are supposed to be dead when you eat them.

Konami decided to give us some Rambo type action in the arcades in 1988. You moved forward, into the screen and tried to defeat the oncoming enemy. It plays almost exactly like Rambo on the Sega Master System, only instead of scrolling vertically you run forward in a space-age 3D view. Your characters even look like Rambo and it is also 2-player cooperative. Yay. To bad the Master System's Rambo totally destroys this game.

Your mission is to murder as many people as possible.
So far I have murdered only 36 in this picture.

Graphics: 5/10
For the day it seemed kind of colorful, but it doesn't have the smooth color gradients of most Sega arcade games did at the time and before. Looks pretty rough in comparison, actually. Since you move forward into the screen, the game tries to employ a scaling feature. Too bad Konami didn't know anything about scaling because it is incredibly bad. It is rough, choppy, and very very slow. Still kind of neat to watch for a few minutes back in the day, though. But considering this came out 3 years after Space Harrier which had far superior scaling and overall graphics, it's hard not to pass judgment against Konami's weak arcade programmers. All of the characters are small and most of the bosses are quite large since they are usually based on military equipment. The locales change from stage to stage, of course.

My bullets can't even reach the enemy.

Sound: 4/10
The games sounds like it was trying to attract attention in crowded arcades, with loud explosions and yells constantly happening. The gunshots are also pretty loud. There is music, believe it or not, but it is very quiet and it pretty much sucks ass.

The enemy is tickling me!
I'm completely helpless!

Gameplay: 4/10
This game is S L O W ! You run forward, shooting and throwing grenades and firing a rocket launcher when you have a locked-on target. Your bullets only seem to be able to travel about 5 or 10 feet before they hit the ground, so obviously you are equipped with extremely weak weapons. Tossing a grenade (again about 10 feet or so) can take out multiple enemies. You can run right through barriers and airplanes, etc, but your wimpy bullets can't get through them. Amazingly this arcade game doesn't let you keep feeding it quarters and quarters in order to continue. Once you've continued a certain amount of times (I'd say about 10 I think) the game gives you the GAME OVER screen even if you have tons of credits left. You can start a new game, but you can't continue. Playing two-player simultaneous is the best way to get far in this game which has a super-lame ending.

The whole thing was just a giant action movie with no plot!
Notice how happy the crowd is that this crappy movie is finally over.

Wrap up:
One of the few arcade exclusives you'll play. It's not available on any home system (at least that I know of). And once you play it you'll understand why.