The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2004, 03:11 PM   #196
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System
 
Havoc2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: So. Cal, USA
Posts: 3,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer
I disagree that some of the best games came from those guys. Maybe some good games. Anyway is there anyway you could obtain video of the Jaguar CD version of Soul Star? I'd love to see it.
There should be some videos of Jaguar Soulstar somewhere. I spent a whole 10 minutes , but couldn't find them. I'm sure I'll find one some day.

Here are some pics:

Atari Corp..Whoop!



Space now looks way better, new HUD, full screen and the ship is high-res.


Planet surface.


The approach to the Mother Ship, which now looks 64-bit good. ;)
__________________
Formerly known as AtariX
Xbox/Windows/Windows Phone: MajorHavoc 2049
Steam: MajorHavoc2049
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 03:32 PM   #197
Nindalf
Registered User
 
Nindalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 11,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskied
Joe, your reviews are truly the only ones here at magicbox worth reading!
Congrats on writing so many enjoyable reviews. You have a great sense
of humor and it adds a comic touch which is so sorely lacking in so many other reviews. I also find your scores accurate and honest, and not prone to personal bias (like many other reviewers are).
Not that I care, but that dosn't happen to be an indirect attack towards a certain member named after a flying kid?

And in my opinion since all reviews are just opinions of certain inviduals they all mean the same to me. Unless someone is giving Mario Kart 7.9, that's just a goddamn disgrace.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 04:15 PM   #198
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System
 
Havoc2049's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: So. Cal, USA
Posts: 3,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindalf
Not that I care, but that dosn't happen to be an indirect attack towards a certain member named after a flying kid?
Way to go Turnip, always looking to stir up some trouble.
__________________
Formerly known as AtariX
Xbox/Windows/Windows Phone: MajorHavoc 2049
Steam: MajorHavoc2049
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:53 PM   #199
Rubeus
Registered User
 
Rubeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,995
Shadow Dancer is a good game, but Super Shinobi is my favorite. The music and graphics were kick ass at its time, it's one of the few Genesis games I kept playing for a long time, besides Golden Axe 1.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:54 PM   #200
Joe Redifer
Olé!
 
Joe Redifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 20,027
For those who don't know, Super Shinobi = Revenge of Shinobi.

Atari X, those Soul Star pics are cool. I like the improved HUD, but the actual ship looks kind of lacking. And that title screen is nowhere near as ?ber awesome as the Sega CD title screen.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 09:02 PM   #201
blueskied
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nindalf
Not that I care, but that dosn't happen to be an indirect attack towards a certain member named after a flying kid?
No. I don't know why you'd assume that.
But I was being honest w/my opinion of Joe's reviews.

PaperEXE has the absolute worst reviews, followed closely
by Bemanisuperstar.
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 11:01 PM   #202
Joe Redifer
Olé!
 
Joe Redifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 20,027
R-Type Complete CD
7/10
PC Engine Super CD-ROM/TurboGrafx-16 Super CD-ROM


What the hell is an "HE System"?
I know I know... Hudson Entertainment.


Back before the TurboGrafx-16 came out in the US of A, the PC Engine had it's own port of R-Type in Japan. Previously R-Type was available only on the Sega Master System. However there was a problem with R-Type: It was simply way too awesome to fit on one HuCard! Rather than sacrifice some of the awesomeness, IREM decided to split the game up across two cards, the first four levels on one and the last four levels on the second. Both cards would be sold separately. When the TurboGrafx-16 was released in the US, the top scientists in the world finally figured out how to pack all of that awesomeness onto one HuCard and the game was released that way here, and many player's TG16's nearly exploded because it was not designed to handle all of that awesomeness all at once. But Japan never got the unseparated version of the game. So that's when IREM got the bright idea that all of that awesomeness could probably fit on one PC Engine CD. And they were right! They even added some cut scenes and CD quality music. They then unleashed it upon Japan as the "Complete" version of the game. Unfortunately the word "Awesome" is nowhere on the box, even though you'd think it would be.


Those are some pretty weird
aliens if they build crap like this.


Graphics: 7/10
The graphics are exactly the same as the card version of the game, which was pretty dang close to the arcade. Of course it only had one layer of scrolling due to the limitation of the PC Engine hardware. Level 5 has another layer, but it does not overlap the other layer, so it is effectively the same layer. Everything looks great and is well drawn. Personally I think the first R-Type is, by far, the best looking R-Type with the best design. There is a little teeny bit of slowdown here and there, and there is A LOT of flicker, unfortunately. That brings the graphics score down a notch. The cut scenes look pretty cool and are partially animated. They don't look as cool as Y's cut-scenes, but they are par for the course for a 3rd party PC Engine developer back in that time.


One of the coolest looking bosses ever!
Too bad he goes down in like 2 seconds.


Sound: 8/10
The sound effects are all the same from the card version of course, but the music is now streamed straight from the CD. We now get to listen to techno-dance versions of the familiar R-Type tunes which are kind of off-putting at first, but grow on you in an odd sort of way. But no matter what, it's better than the arcade music by a factor of 9.3. The music in the arcade version was tinny and horrible sounding, and even the Sega Master System version of the game sounded better. Obviously the cut-scenes have full voiceovers in Japanese, so if the acting is poor I certainly can't tell. Not too shabby!


The cut-scenes that are between every
other stage will BLOW YOU AWAY! Or not.


Gameplay: 7/10
Well, it's R-Type. While the first version is definitely my favorite version of R-Type, I get bored with it when I get to stage 5. The stages after that are all pretty uninteresting compared to the awesomeness of the first four stages. This has remained true for every version of this game. You can probably guess that if I lived in Japan, I would have only bought the first card. And then there is the "die and get placed waaaay back" aspect of the game which I really hate in shooters. In fact Gradius V was improved tremendously by getting rid of that lame aspect. I always shut off the other Gradius games the first time I die just because I don't want to go through all of that again only this time completely powered down. R-Type is the same way for me. This version also doesn't have the bonus stage that was found in the Sega Master System version (the SMS version was 4 megabits, and the US R-Type for HuCard was only 3 megabits). So that means that the Sega Master System version is still the best. But if you enjoy R-Type, this is a pretty good version to have, and it'll work on your US TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM with Super System Card or TurboDuo if you have one of those.


The boss design in R-Type kicks ass.

Wrap up:
All of the awesomeness contained on one CD!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:06 AM   #203
Icarus4578
Deal with it.
 
Icarus4578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,550
Nindalf ~ "Not that I care, but that dosn't happen to be an indirect attack towards a certain member named after a flying kid?"

It more than likely is, but I don't care either way.

blueskied ~ "No. I don't know why you'd assume that.
But I was being honest w/my opinion of Joe's reviews."

I doubt that. I think you're just taking advantage of Joe's review thread to try and take an indirect shot at me for proving you wrong in your review thread after you started an argument just because I had asked you what you thought of the music in the games you reviewed, which, for some reason, had turned on your "a**hole meter," and you began to try and attack me. Joe does deserve to be complimented on a job well done.

I don't believe this segment of your original statement ~

"Joe, your reviews are truly the only ones here at magicbox worth reading!
Congrats on writing so many enjoyable reviews. You have a great sense
of humor and it adds a comic touch which is so sorely lacking in so many other reviews. I also find your scores accurate and honest, and not prone to personal bias (like many other reviewers are)."

Yet your flattery is nonsense because you contradict yourself with your own words (taken from my thread), with the significant portions highlighted in boldface~

"I'm not going to start my own review thread for a couple reasons: 1)I don't have time to review more than one game every week or two, 2)I don't think there's any point in posting a review of a game that's been reviewed a bunch of times (like Orta, DOAX, RE0, etc) so I'm just going to stick to games that AREN'T being reviewed (like Galaxy Angel, Tenerezza, maybe Ikaruga for the GC too, etc.), 3)I don't think there's any point in reviewing old, old games as first of all they were already reviewed back in the day, and second of all if they're something like a NES game you can just download and play the rom in less time than it takes to read a review of the game, hence finding out for yourself if you like the game or not. I think reviews of old NES games like River City ransom are totally unnecessary, but that's just me."

Furthermore, after I provided a link in your review thread which proved you were wrong, you deleted the entire thread. That's a cowardly act, a reaction which gives you the unique distinction of being the only person who has done such a thing. That proves you're a hypocrite who is only praising Joe to try and get under my skin. I didn't see you commenting in this thread until after I had exposed you, and you couldn't take it. However, what you don't seem to realize is that I didn't come here to try and win a popularity contest, least of all with somebody who is hypocritical, cowardly and just downright miserable all the time.

By the way, what a way to insult other people ~ "PaperEXE has the absolute worst reviews, followed closely by Bemanisuperstar." You're a very negative and disrespectful individual.

Just sad.

And in conclusion, this statement is downright idiotic ~ "The pictures of the game throughout the review adds a professional flare as well. I could easily see you writing for a gaming mag. You should apply for a job! ;)" I could only disagree here. Joe shouldn't sell-out to the mainstream. Besides, last time I checked, Joe was doing quite well financially. However, I don't think that he needs me to pretend I can speak for him; he's perfectly capable of speaking for himself. The reason why others such as myself don't put up screenshots is because we either don't have webspace or we don't have the capability of doing so.

You're the lowest blueskied. You pretend that guys such as myself, PaperEXE and others' opinions don't matter, then, you pretend that yours do.
__________________
Turn on the difference.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 12-11-2004 at 01:05 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:20 AM   #204
Joe Redifer
Olé!
 
Joe Redifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 20,027
AHEM! OK now that you've both taken your shots, let's either stop it or move it elsewhere or I'll just start deletin' posts. ThanXorZ!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:22 AM   #205
Icarus4578
Deal with it.
 
Icarus4578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,550
You're a lucky guy Joe: You have the administrative power to delete posts. However, I wouldn't do that to anybody anyway because I value opinions, both positive and negative.
__________________
Turn on the difference.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:27 AM   #206
blueskied
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 860
Geez. Sorry for icarus mucking up your thread Joe, apparently on my behalf!
My original comment had nothing to do with icarus, despite his hate for me
and his paranoid beliefs I'm out to get him. I really could care less what he thinks, and that's why I don't read his long rants anymore (such as the above one), I just skim them, and then say "hmm, OK. That's nice."

I deleted my review thread because icarus contaminated it so much, and I'm not going to post reviews here any more (if I do any more reviews they'll be up on gamefaqs or the next level, but I don't see any coming soon!). I still
think I was right about the argument over tokimeki and sakura taisen, but icarus thinks he is right too. So whatever. I really don't care.
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:30 AM   #207
Icarus4578
Deal with it.
 
Icarus4578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,550
No response deserved.

P.S. I've played both R-Type 1 & 3 but never part 2. I always thought that they were kinda slowpaced, especially Super R-Type what with all the slowdown. But they're certainly decent shooters.
__________________
Turn on the difference.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 01:47 AM   #208
blueskied
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 860
One last comment for icarus:
Some of your reviews are decent icarus. But overall the only review
thread here I find worthwhile reading on a regular basis is Joe's.
That's basically what I was trying to say. I didn't think my reviews were
that good, hence no big loss in deleting my review thread. For the 10th time, I was not referencing you specifically in my original comment to Joe, I was talking about all the review threads on this site (mine included!). I thought that was clear from the context, but apparently (and interestingly) you've taken it upon yourself to make it all about yourself, when it wasn't at all.

I hope you can cut back on your hostility a bit. There's really no call for that.

And PaperEXE's reviews are awful. It's nothing against him personally, I'm just judging them objectively: they are just poorly written, incredibly inaccurate and ridiculously biased.
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:27 AM   #209
Nindalf
Registered User
 
Nindalf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 11,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtariX
Way to go Turnip, always looking to stir up some trouble.
My evil plan is working already. MUHAHAHAHA!!
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:07 AM   #210
Icarus4578
Deal with it.
 
Icarus4578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,550
I'm wrong for swearing at you blueskied, but that's all I'm wrong about.
__________________
Turn on the difference.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.