The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 12-06-2004, 05:17 PM   #181
Rubeus

I've played Rastan 1 & 2 on PC-Engine / Turbografx, they were okay games, I like Legednary Axe better though. Was there a Rastan game for Genesis as well?
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:02 PM   #182
Joe Redifer
Olé!

For the Japanese MegaDrive there was. It was called Rastan Saga II. In the arcades it was called Nastar Warriors in some places. The game was horrible. The Genesis version was exactly like the arcade in every way, and that's really, really sad because it was also unacceptable in every way. As if you can't already tell what I think about it, I doubt I need to do a review.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:13 PM   #183
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Street Fighter
1/10
Arcade

OMG it's STREET FIGHTER 1!!!
Notice nobody is playing the
game in this picture.

Here it is, the game that started it all in 1987! It must be an amazing game to warrant so many sequels and spin-offs. In fact, how can it NOT be outstanding? Let's put a quarter in and play this incredible game. Ah OK. Press Start. Select my country (I choose USA because I am a patriot and not a traitor). OK. I guess I am Ryu. Round 1. Oh.... my. What happened? Am I actually playing or is this just the demo? Oh wait I am actually playing! Well... not anymore.

This game takes place back when Ryu and Ken were
complete stoners, so their moves are very slow.

Graphics: 4/10
Compared to all of it's sequels, Street Fighter really doesn't hold a candle. It has two layers of scrolling, floaty sprites, good color, no line scrolls (floor "warping") and that's about it. The backgrounds do look nice and that's why I give the graphics as much as I do. Capcom usually does very well with that aspect in the arcades. But the sprites are unacceptable! Ryu is now a red-head. In fact I think I'm playing as Adol from the Y's series instead of Ryu. Except Adol is a hell of a lot easier to control than Ryu is in this game. The animation is horrible. Complete choppiness. When you jump, the sprites just kind of float slowly. It's bad. Oh yeah, there are some familiar characters in this game, like Birdie. We all remember Birdie from the Alpha series, right? Well Birdie must be the ultimate "wigger" because in this game he is actually white. He has "Reverse Michael Jackson Disease" I guess.

It's M.Bison, known here as "Mike". Apparently Ryu
bumped his knee and now he's hopping around in pain.
I did the same thing after kneeing the arcade for
being so damn cheap and frustrating!

Sound: 4/10
The sound is worse than the graphics, by far. The music is screechy and abrasive sounding. The actual composition of the music is good, but the sound quality used just destroys it. So why did I rate the sound the same as the graphics if the sound is so bad? Because it is also absolutely HILARIOUS! Every single character in the game has the same exact voice which sounds like a drunk Japanese guy trying to speak English with a mouthfull of Play-Doh?... yes even Mike who just happens to be black. Every character has a witty line that they speak when they win. With Mike it's "I'm strong!". When Retsu wins he tells you to "Go to heaven!". So polite. If you win, each character will say to you the same exact high-quality phrase in the same exact high-quality voice each time. Can you understand what is being said? Fortunately this phrase also exists in text-form in the game, but I'll let those of you who haven't played the game try and guess! I don't know where they found this guy.

This stage looks cool. However it plays
like ass just like all the other stages.

Gameplay: 1/10
This is a Street Fighter game? Daaaaaamn! Well let's see... it weighs in at 40 megabits. You can play as Ryu or Ken. That's it. You both have the same exact moves. You can do your favorite moves like the Hurricane Kick, Dragon Punch, or Fireball. Good luck trying to do those moves at critical moments, though. Control is EXTREMELY unresponsive to say the least. It doesn't help that the characters are floaty and only about 5 hits are required to win (or lose). You start out by selecting a country, and you have to defeat the two dudes there. Once you beat all 8 characters from all 4 countries, Thailand opens up and you have to then deal with Adon and final boss Sagat. Both will piss you off tremendously with their super cheap gameplay. To be honest, it is easier (and definitely more fun) to see how many papercuts you can give yourself all over your body than to play this "game". It is worth a quarter just to say that you've played the elusive "Street Fighter 1" and to laugh at how bad it is, but beyond that it is sheer torture.

Ryu is a redhead and I don't know what
Ken did to piss off his barber so much.

The only home conversion
This game only has one version for home consoles thankfully, and it's called "Fighting Street" (for the same reason the Gamecube is called "GCN"... stupidity) and it exists only for the TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM system. Not only that, but Fighting Street was the first CD game released in the USA for a home video game system EVER! Capcom decided it would be best to put it on the system where the game would be least likely to sell since they were so ashamed of it. The conversion of the arcade is actually quite good. The graphics are a bit worse and it lost the second layer of scrolling. The sprites are all pretty close and the game is still just as fun testicle surgery. Even the voices are just as ridiculous. However the music is now CD quality and nearly worth listening to. The gameplay has been reduced to only two buttons, but you won't care as it's like trying to control the game with a box of sand in either version. I would rate Fighting Street the same as I rated Street Fighter here, but with a higher score for "sound".

After many tries and much patience, Ryu
is finally able to throw a fireball.

Wrap up:
I can't believe that this game generated enough revenue to warrant a sequel. I'd rather urinate acid.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:21 AM   #184
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I actually have those voices memorized.

"What strength, but don't forget there are many fighters like you all over the world!"

&

"You've got a lot to learn before you beat me. Try again kid! Eh-heh-heh-heh-heh!!"
Old 12-07-2004, 01:32 AM   #185
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Close. In the first line, swap the word "guys" for "fighters". The second line is correct, but the text in the game insists it is saying "kiddo". I don't hear it.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:36 AM   #186
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yeah, that's right. So my memory is a little sketchy, that's all. Wouldn't yours be after playing that nightmare on a disc oh so long ago? I already reviewed the TurboCD version and decimated it. I'm sure you understand why from firsthand experience.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:28 AM   #187
Rubeus

Hey JR you were not so right in the review of Street Fighter, the game was BIG in Asia, attracted crowds when it first came out in 1987. The graphics were considered good at that time. A lot of people were amazed that Ryu/Ken can pull out those "magic" moves (aka dragon punch and fireball and so on). I'd say the game worths at least a 6.

I played the TurboCD version, the best part of the game is the stereo CD music, it was pretty nice at that time when all other consoles were using mono music.
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:23 PM   #188
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I was right in my review. Nowhere did I say that the game wasn't popular, in fact I said I was surprised that it was. Games that can't be controlled are not worth a 6.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:18 PM   #189
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Soul Star
6/10
Sega CD

The only version of Soul Star.
Can you believe that Core was working
on a 32X and Jaguar CD version?

Core, creators of Tomb Raider as well as something else, was one of the few developers who took actual advantage of the Sega CD. With it they were able to do games that Nintendon't. Soul Star was one such game. It was eagerly awaited as the screenshots looked fabulous and promised lots of scaling and rotation and furious gameplay! There was just one problem... it was programmed by British people. Their idea of "arcade action" was quite tame compared to the non-stop madness we were used to from Japan. But they were trying, and they did pull off a few cool things in this game. A high replayability factor was NOT one of those things, unfortunately.

Fly forward and destroy everything.
Wouldn't it be easier just to nuke the place?

Graphics: 8/10
The graphics were pretty sweet overall. Aside from the color, there is nothing in this game that the SNES could surpass or even duplicate. Many scaling and rotating screens and sprites here, as well as excellent (for the Sega CD) use of color. The whole game runs kind of slow, so they may be taxing things a bit. There is even a stage where you run around a cavern and it even has walls. It looked like it could be a 16-bit version of Doom in a very wide open area. Sometimes though there are so many scaling graphics onscreen at any given time that things in the distance become a bit grainy and difficult to decipher. Speaking of rgainy this game also has some full motion cutscenes that look pretty bad. It looks as if 16 or 32 colors was their limit. It's all CGI, no real live video. Overall quite an impressive game to look at.

Inside the ship you have complete freedom.
Unfortunately you don't have complete fun.

Sound: 7/10
The sound effects are pretty pathetic here, but at least the game has a good musical score. It sounds kind of orchestral-ish. It also sounds like it has a lot of fake reverb and that lends itself to a sort of "canned" feeling. But it's worth listening to and adds an epic feel to many stages. The only voice in the game is a British lady telling you that you have to do a million things for each stage. Her accent is cool. She sounds like that one ancient chick who played "Q" in some of the recent James Bond movies. I dunno. She sounds old and British, but cool.

Loooook!!! You fly forward towards the
ship through the asteroid field until...

...you get close enough to blow open the
doors, fly inside and borrow some salt!

Gameplay: 6/10
The game tries to incorporate many different styles of play instead of just focusing on one area and doing it as good as possible. First you have the standard shooter where you fly into the screen similar to Space Harrier, though the feeling of movement seems loose and kind of slow. Entire planets will approach you from being not much more than a speck in the distance. Then you can morph into some sort of hover-ship nonsense. In this mode you can fly freely in any direction around the stage in sort of a search-and-destroy type mission. You fight the first boss like this, and it can be maddening. First you have to activate the boss by approaching it. Then it constantly sucks you towards it and there is nothing you can do about it. Once you destroy the boss you still have tons of enemies shooting at you. At this point in the game is where you select your difficulty: Easy, Medium, or Hard. You fly over to the launch pads of your difficulty of choice, destroy rotating orbs circling around some stupid thing, then do it again on the other side of the same launch pad, then fly to the launch area of the launch pad, and the game continues. Maddening! Did I mention the controls are horrible in this mode? Then there is the mode where you run around on the ground similar to any standard mech game. It is also a search and destroy type mission. Controls are slightly better since you don't have to worry about flying (though you can hover to go faster). Explore a giant area and destroy things on poles for whatever reason. Exciting? No, it's British. Cool? Yeah, kinda. The game is quite difficult, as it's pretty easy to get hit by enemy fire in any of the game modes. There aren't too many addictive qualities about this game, though.

Ya gotta admit that this is pretty impressive for
a 16-bit system. Many, many layers of scaling here,
all full screen.

Wrap up:
A good game to show off your Sega CD, but make your friends play it so they won't laugh at how much you suck at this game. And you will definitely suck at it!
Old 12-08-2004, 05:12 AM   #190
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Hey man, I was thinking about starting up a review thread and this was going to be one of the first games I was going to review. The music in Soul Star is some of the best on the Sega CD system, simply awesome. I've played the Jaguar CD version of Soul Star, the larger color pallete and smother scrolling and better CG's look sweet. The Jag version is about 70% complete, to bad it was never released. Soul Star on the Sega CD does look better than anything the SNES could put out with Mode-7 and the SFX chip.

Where's the love for the Euro's? The Bitmap Brothers, Psygnosis, Bullfrog, Argonaut, Team-17, Rare, Core and Delphine Software made some of the best games during the 16-bit era. Those boys could code and know how to really push the hardware to the limit.

Last edited by Havoc2049; 12-08-2004 at 05:17 AM.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:26 AM   #191
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I disagree that some of the best games came from those guys. Maybe some good games. Anyway is there anyway you could obtain video of the Jaguar CD version of Soul Star? I'd love to see it.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:46 PM   #192
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Shadow Dancer
6/10
Arcade

You're out walking your dog
when the fierce enemy atacks!

Back in the 80's Sega stormed the arcade scene with the best game ever made which starred a ninja in a Sega game up to that point in time -- Shinobi! Everyone loved Shinobi without exception. Cults were started, mass suicides were performed, entire countries and cultures decimated in the name of Sega's "Shinobi". Even God demanded that all of His subjects enjoy Shinobi, for it was the game that He and Jesus played in heaven between smiting sessions. But of course Sega wanted to capitalize on Shinobi's success by creating a sequel and only taking 3 days to make it. That sequel was unleashed upon the arcades as the 28.8 megabit Shadow Dancer. Now look at the world: everybody is afraid of terrorists, people are murdering each other in order to get the flu vaccine, obesity is a huge problem (pun intended), lots of crazy wars going on, and diarrhea is becoming more common after eating creamed corn. Coincidence?

Looks like the airport screeners are doing a
pretty bad job if all of these jokers got by.

Graphics: 5/10
For an arcade game, Shadow Dancer's muted graphics were pretty simple and washed out. Not much detail or coolness is present here, though Joe Musashi appears to have at least changed his clothes since the first game. When you play you do your best to stand in front of the monitor so your friends don't see you playing a game with such sub-par graphics. The animation isn't too bad, but it really looks like they used a lot of US artists on this one. The design of the stages is pretty piss-poor and it is obvious why this game went ignored in the arcades when it sat next to machines like Strider that looked 10 times better. Some of the boss designs are kind of cool, and some of them would show up in the Genesis version of Shadow Dancer (reviewed below) and end up looking much better in the process. Pretty pathetic for a 1989 arcade game.

The phrase "no pills" was carved into the wall in an effort to
speak out against drugs. But who pops pills to get high, anyway?
Most kids these days resort to snorting bleach and live ants.

Apparently Joe Musashi is Arabian
due to the curvature of his sword.

Sound: 3/10
The sound is even worse than the graphics! Sure, there are some digitized voices here and there, but nothing special or even somewhat cool. Then there is the music. Ug! Wheras the original Shinobi had some great tunes, what we get here is super-quiet music that sounds like it should be in Toki and not Shinobi. Yup, you get very soft and muted jungle beats with a Congo flavor. Possibly the worst music I have ever heard in a Sega arcade game, especially since they usually tend to have fantastic music. This also has the worst music for any Shinobi game ever, and that includes Shinobi Legions on the Saturn and even Alex Kidd in Shinobi World on the SMS. You do get a digitized dog bark, though. Rumor has it that they auditioned 650,021.3 different dogs in order to get just the right bark.

OMG it's a boss! What should I do?
I know! I'll dance around like a monkey!

Gameplay: 6/10
So how does the arcade sequel to the arcade Shinobi play? Well they added a dog which is a hoot and a holler. You can use the dog to hold criminals in place so they can't shoot you while you walk up and MURDER them. That's about all the dog really does. But jumping around and the basic structure of the gameplay is very similar to Shinobi. Instead of rescuing precious human beings, you are instead rescuing bombs. I guess you collect them and will blow up something really big later. Once you have rescued all of the bombs in a stage, you can go to the next stage. You'll eventually get to a boss and since your dog is busy taking a giant dump like all dogs do all the time, you'll have to go at it alone. The game is pretty tough and gets boring quickly just because it doesn't really offer much at all. Control is pretty nice for the most part, and the ninja magic is always an easy cop-out. Try not to fall asleep as you play.

The bonus stages are pretty lame. You just shoot up
as ninjas step out of doorways that lead right outside of
the building. I guess suiciders demanded their own doors.

Wrap up:
A disappointing arcade effort from Sega. I highly recommend that you instead play the far superior Sega Genesis version.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:46 PM   #193
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Shadow Dancer
8/10
Sega Genesis

Since the Japanese box was so cool looking,
Sega of America insisted that it be changed.
Ya don't want it standing out on the shelf or anything!!

Back in the early Mega Drive/Genesis days, there was a meeting over at Sega of Japan concerning the upcoming Shadow Dancer for the home console. One executive said "The arcade version kinda sucks, and so far only three people have played it". The other high-powered executives agreed. One of them cited "We don't want to port this game over to the Mega Drive/Genesis and have people hate and laugh at Sega. We want to wait until we invent the 32X for that." Then suddenly one brash newbie executive spoke up and said "How about if we reprogram Shadow Dancer so that it is actually a good game and people enjoy it?!" The rest of the room was awestruck at such an unheard of idea. They were also amazed as this was the first time anyone on the planet had ever uttered the words "Shadow Dancer" and "good game" in the same sentence. It took awhile to sink in, to say the least. Then the president of Sega stood up, all eyes fell towards his commanding presence awaiting his next, wise words. He said "That would be mad tight yo. The home version of Shadow Dancer will be the phiggidy phat tight bomb." And so the 4 megabit Shadow Dancer for the Genesis was created, and it had very little to do with the arcade.

The graphics are exactly 13
times better than the arcade.

Graphics: 8/10
The graphics in the home game are much better than the arcade game, thankfully. There is much more color and an abundance of detail. The animation looked just like you'd expect from a ninja game, and you could even see the dog's poop-chute when it jumped to higher levels. You could not see the dog's hole in the arcade version, which is probably why not too many people played it. Dog anus is absolutely mandatory. You've got nice parallax backgrounds that you can jump behind, helicoptors trying to shoot you and your li'l doggy down and even caverns where it is hard to see at times since it is an evil cavern. Some of the backdrops look slightly similar to the arcade Shadow Dancer like the bridge scene, but of course it looks nicer on the Genesis. There is some very rare flicker in this game, usually when you use the ninja magic.

The stage 1 boss is back from the arcade.
His contract demanded that he be in a good game.

Sound: 8/10
Wow. The sound is light years ahead of the arcade sound. The music is not only listenable, but it's good stuff to boot! The sound quality is much higher than the arcade as well. Hell they even tried a little hip-hop-ness by adding some voices to the music in the bonus stage, which turned out to be a very cool effect from a cartridge game. The dog bark is taken directly from the arcade, and Joe Musashi makes little grunts when he jumps from level to level due to his chronic constipation.

Shoot all the ninjas as you jump off of the roof of a
340-story building and land on your feet without harm.

Gameplay: 8/10
Similar to the arcade, but it takes more cues from the original Shinobi. Now you are rescuing actual human beings in dire need of your assistance. It makes you feel good and like you've saved a life. When you rescue a girl you get a power up. I'll leave it to your imaginations to figure out how that happens. Some of the bosses are similar to the arcade, but the attacks are different. The game as a whole is much better than the arcade in every way imaginable. Some people bitch and whine about this game since it came after The Revenge of Shinobi. This game plays like the original Shinobi and not Revenge. Some people just couldn't handle that. They figured that EVERY Shinobi game had to be exactly like Revenge of Shinobi or it must suck. I'll tell you a little secret... people who think that are the ones that suck. This is a fast-paced arcade game, and people who think a fast paced well-made arcade game sucks just because it isn't Revenge of Shinobi are complete asswipes and don't even deserve to breathe. That's like being disappointed with The Legend of Zelda: A Link to da Past because it just isn't Zelda 64: TOOT. Morons. Anyway this is a great game and everybody should buy 6 copies.

The enemy tries to engage
you in a game if Frisbee?.

The music is exactly 254.6 times better than the arcade.
This Statutory of Liberty stage is a good example.

Wrap up:
Better than the arcade in every way, and an excellent Genesis game on its own.

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 12-18-2004 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:48 AM   #194
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Joe Redifer ~ "The music is exactly 254.6 times better than the arcade.
This Statutory of Liberty stage is a good example."

Damn straight. That's one of the songs on the new mix. ;)
Old 12-09-2004, 06:37 AM   #195
blueskied

Joe, your reviews are truly the only ones here at magicbox worth reading!
Congrats on writing so many enjoyable reviews. You have a great sense
of humor and it adds a comic touch which is so sorely lacking in so many other reviews. I also find your scores accurate and honest, and not prone to personal bias (like many other reviewers are).

The pictures of the game throughout the review adds a professional
flare as well. I could easily see you writing for a gaming mag. You should
apply for a job! ;)

Keep up the good work.
blueskied is offline   Reply With Quote