The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 12-01-2004, 02:23 AM   #151
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

I'd buy the reworked soundtracks for all three of the remakes if Sega released them. Perhaps they will and they'll be cool and include the original soundtracks as well. Anyway, Strider is a divine game in a class all its own. I already reviewed that one, so I'm thinking of doing Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol.1 next because I was playing it today and it's truly a great compilation.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:11 AM   #152
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Here is the Strider mega-blowout! I review every version of Strider for consoles all in a row (scroll down for more versions). Strider II will not be reviewed alongside Strider. But if you must know, the Genesis version of Strider II (also called Strider Returns) was extremely weak in all areas but had decent-quality voices. The PlayStation version of Strider 2 was fun, but grainy looking and incredibly easy.

Strider
8/10
Arcade

Arcades usually have goofy artwork.

Strider is one of those games which really stands out. All though it is a hack-and-slash platform game, the unique style of everything really makes it stand alone. The arcade version was definitely the best of ANY Strider game, but what else would you expect? This was made back in the day when Capcom made many great arcade games that made you stop and look as you walked past them on your way to go play a Sega game. You may have even put in a few dollars worth just to play. Good for you, as it's definitely worth it! The arcade version of Strider weighs in at a hefty (for the day) 5.3 megabytes, or 42.4 megabits in console terms.

Your mission is to slice Russians!
Is this game about "ethnic cleansing"?

Graphics: 10/10
Wow. Great artwork and design in this game. Lots of diagonal lines of varying degrees give this game an "angular" look and definitely makes it stand out against many other games that use "patterned" backgrounds. Much of the artwork here has a very "hands drawn" look to it, and the colors are superb. You will find up to 4 independent layers of scrolling backgrounds which add to the depth and overall look of the game. The animation on all of the characters and bosses is top notch, and the cut scenes even look pretty cool as well. Memory definitely wasn't a problem when designing this game, so they went all out in every way they could.

My favorite scene from the game.
It's so profoundly purple!

Sound: 8/10
When I hear the music to this game, I immediately think "Strider" for obvious reasons. The music is not absolutely amazing or anything (it's certainly not bad), but it fits the game EXTREMELY well and I can't really imagine listening to anything else as I play. That says quite a bit. Most stages have multiple scores, one for each section. Stage 1 alone has 5 themes to add to the mega-variety. There are tons of voices in this game, as all of the cut-scenes are voiced over in a usually bizarre manner. The Japanese version of the arcade even has a vocal grunt made by Strider every time he swings his sword, and for some reason this was removed from the US version of the arcade game. I guess America was just not ready to hear the grunts again and again. Maybe when our civilization advances more, we will be worthy. But overall quite a nice sound package, with nothing to hurt your ears.

The top of the tower of stage 1.
You can even get a mecca-eagle and jaguar!

Gameplay: 8/10
Run, jump, climb, flip, swing, hang. All fun stuff to do when playing Strider. There isn't much that you can't cling to when you're jumping around like a madman, and that makes it fun and sometimes frustrating when you accidentally cling to something you didn't want to. But when that happens it only means that you suck at gaming and also as a human being. Fighting the bosses can be extremely cool, especially at the end of level 3 when you're stuck rotating around a large orb's gravitational pull. What's more is that the bosses aren't ALWAYS at the end of the stage. In the aforementioned stage 3 you have to escape after you have defeated the boss, and the boss of stage 2 is actually right at the beginning, if you can believe that. The "mid-boss" is halfway through stage 2 and you don't even have to defeat him. It's design like this that really puts this game in a class by itself. The control is great and it's just an absolute blast to play. The game is pretty short and not overly difficult by any means, but it really is worth the trip again and again.

The Russian congress joins together
in a unanimous vote to whoop your ass!

Wrap up
One of the most unique arcade platformers and definitely worth your quarters! More than an 8, but not quite a 9
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:11 AM   #153
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Strider
8/10
Sega Genesis

Oh dear God! When did Strider start
looking like a middle-aged Bruce Willis?

I remember a month or so before Christmas 1990 how a local game store in Arvada, Colorado called Powerfully Gay Games.. err... I mean Power Play Games was trying to sell me the $95 Sega Megadrive version of Strider. Why should I get that when the US version comes out in a couple weeks? They kept telling me that the game was so monumental that waiting would not be in my best interest. But I had to wait. So what was so monumental about the home version? Strider was the very first 8 megabit (1 megabyte) game ever for any gaming console. The world was blown away. Official holidays were declared. 8 freakin' megs??? NO WAY!!! This has got to be the bestest most awesomest game ever! But compared to the arcade's 42.4 megs, a couple of compromises had to be made here and there. Considering that limitation, I think Sega did a GREAT job converting this over to the home console. The gameplay remains exactly the same as the arcade counterpart, so we'll look mostly into the differences between the two in this review.

Not too bad when compared to the arcade.

Graphics: 8/10
The graphics are really good, especially for the time, on the Genesis. The same design was used from the arcade and for the most part the game looks the same. The colors have been toned down somewhat and the backgrounds have lost the 3rd and 4th layers of scrolling, however. In some scenes in the arcade where there were only two scrolling layers (like when climbing up the shaft after defeating the gorilla boss in stage 2 for example), the Genesis version has been reduced to only one scrolling screen. Some portions of the background now have a "patterned" look to them, which obviously saves a lot on memory. Characters have been redrawn to fit the Genesis' sprite aspect ratio and Strider's sword no longer swings... it instead just "flashes" with only 1 frame of animation. You will also notice less animation in general. There is also a lot of flicker, tearing, and slowdown in this game that the arcade does not feature. Don't get me wrong though, this is still a great looking game!

My favorite scene loses some luster.
But at least the music is still good here.

Sound: 7/10
Mono. The entire game is in mono. Why? That pisses me off. The music is extremely similar to the arcade in composition and sound quality, and it fits the game perfectly. The voice-overs during the cut scenes have been removed as well as a few other digitized sounds (like the one made by the boss of Stage 1 as it assembles in the arcade), but the most other voices remain. The Japanese Megadrive version of Strider has the vocal grunt whenever he swings his sword, just like the Japanese arcade. But just like the US arcade, that grunt was removed from the US version of the game for some bizarre reason. Also removed from the US version of the game was a voice that says "All sons of old Gods... DIE!". OK. This is said by the enemy to Strider. Is Strider actually Jesus? That is awesome, I always wanted to play a game where Jesus shows His true powers. Why did they take this out? Did Sega of America think they'd get a whole bunch of letters or something? Now I wish I did go for that Japanese version! Quality-wise, the voices are pretty good, if a wee bit scratchy. And what's with that sound Strider makes as he walks or falls off of the edge of a ledge? It sounds like a mini-vaccuum cleaner and only exists in the Genesis/Megadrive versions.

I am Strider Hyru, hear me roar!

Gameplay: 8/10
Basically the same as the arcade version featuring the same stages and control. What is weird about the Genesis version, however, is that whenever you make it to a "checkpoint" the whole screen will freeze for a second or so, and then continue. What the hell? It's almost as if it's loading whatever is coming up next, even though since it's a cartridge game loading shouldn't be necessary. Regardless, it is a great romp to take on your Genesis again and again, and definitely a game worth owning!

Good thing Strider isn't afraid of creepy-crawlies.

Wrap up:
The best conversion of the Strider arcade for a home console, not counting the arcade-perfect edition that comes on the Strider 2 Playstation disc (the "Strider 2" game is actually on the Strider 1 disc. Go figure).
Old 12-01-2004, 03:12 AM   #154
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Strider
2/10
Sega Master System

A crappy box to go along
with the mega-crappy game.

Sega just HAD to try and put Strider on the Sega Master System, even as it died and the Genesis was kicking ass in the videogame marketplace. Why, Sega, why? They decided that they didn't need to make it more than 1 megabit. I have to give it points for at least attempting to be like the arcade game, which the NES version does not.

Strider's sword swings,
but he doesn't move at all!

Graphics: 2/10
Yuck! Most backgrounds are extremely dark and filled with blackness. The designers barely even tried. The animation is poor, the characters fairly small, and really nothing pleasing at all. But again, it at least tries to somewhat resemble the artwork from the arcade game with a very small amount of memory. Still though, I think they could have done MUCH better with what they had to work with here. Better yet, increase the size of the game up to 4 megs and I think we would have had a fantastic 8-bit version.

My favorite scene gets raped!
Even the music is horrible!

Sound: 1/10
No voices (of course) and the same tune plays for every single stage, over and over. Some other familiar Strider tunes play briefly during the cut-scenes. And there aren't too many sound effects to speak of at all. We've all definitely heard better from the Master System's sound chip, even in other 1 meg games. Hell, I've probably heard better from Sega card games!

Cleaning up the massive pools of blood from my
bleeding eyeballs is more fun than playing this game.

Gameplay: 2/10
Ug! It pains me just to talk about this game! What a horrible conversion! The stages are kind of similar to the arcade, and the gameplay is also similar. But that's as good as it gets. The controls are very floaty and inaccurate, to say the least. You will be jumping through the air, moving forward as you do your flip and then just come to a dead stop and begin to slowly fall straight down. It's nearly impossible to be precise with your jumps. This game is difficult not by design, but simply due to the crappy controls and horribly reproduced levels. All in all it is rather painful to play through this game, and it should only be reserved as punishment for notorious criminals. In fact I think Sega forced certain programmers to make this game as punishment for past failures (like Fatal Labyrinth). That sounds like a very cruel punishment indeed, but it's better than how Nintendo MURDERED Gunpei Yokoi for his miserable Virtual Boy failure. They should have just made him program Sega Master System Strider with only 1 meg instead!

The super-choppy boss of stage 1.

Wrap up:
The worst console conversion of the arcade, but at least it's based on the arcade game!

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 12-01-2004 at 04:08 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:12 AM   #155
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Strider
5/10
Nintendo Entertainment System

A constipated Strider fights a cowboy!

When Capcom brought out Strider to the NES, they decided not to even ATTEMPT to base it on the arcade. Instead they created a 2 megabit platformer where you must obtain skills and new stages and it also uses a password feature. The only things similar to the arcade are Strider Hyru himself, the way he swings his sword, and many of his moves. Other than that it plays almost more like a MegaMan game than a Strider game, and you can revisit stages once you've completed them and other such nonsense.

If you're lucky, Strider can jump to
the next platform after only 3 tries!

Graphics: 7/10
For the NES, these graphics were pretty good in many parts. Good color and detail, decent animation, etc. None of the stages even resemble any of the locals from the arcade, so there's really nothing to compare it to. But they are definitely better than the Sega Master System version of Strider. You have flicker, some slowdown and all of the stuff you'll find in a typical NES game, but some scenes like the forest look particularly nice and colorful.

You must go into a menu to perform moves.
That really ruins the momentum of the game.

Sound: 7/10
Mostly your typical NES sounds here, except that a few of the tunes are pretty good. Again, none of the tunes try to be like the arcade music, at least not that I was able to recognize. I did like the music that plays as you enter your password, and the intro music isn't too bad. Even the first area's music is catchy, but not quite up to the level of MegaMan 2 or anything. Sound effects are exactly what you'd expect from the NES, nothing more, nothing less. Overall pretty decent.

The last stage is very "angrifying" to say the least.
Strider's inaccurate jumps will be the death of you.

Gameplay: 5/10
Yeeouch! I definitely like arcade-style Strider much MUCH better! This game is basically a search and destroy style of platformer. You pick your country, teleport to it, and take everyone out and acquire new skills and items. Doesn't sound much like Strider, does it? What really chaps my ass are the controls. The game does not seem to appreciate it when you accidentally press diagonally and it makes you pay when you do, especially when you are trying to jump to a platform and avoid the many spikes below. Jumping can be extremely tedious and frustrating. And the triangle jump thingy which you must enable to bounce back and forth up walls is not exactly my idea of fun. Nor is the idea of constantly pressing SELECT to go into a menu to choose a move to help you get past a nook or cranny. It's not a horrible game, just about average or so. Still a much better experience than the Sega Master System version in every respect.

These dudes like to hang upside down when
they shoot you. Whatever floats their boat.

Wrap up:
The best 8-bit version of Strider available, even though it has nothing to do with Strider!
Old 12-01-2004, 03:28 AM   #156
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Good reviews. A couple things....

"...and the boss of stage 2 is actually right at the beginning..."

Although it may seem to be so, that's not true. Those three Chinese chicks are the real boss (no mistake), though I guess it doesn't matter since there's about 12 bosses in the game anyway.

"That sounds like a very cruel punishment indeed, but it's better than how Nintendo MURDERED Gunpei Yokoi for his miserable Virtual Boy failure."

Hiroshi Yamauchi is one scary dude. I knew from the first moment I heard the news that he was murdered. No way was that an accident. He made Nintendo lose face. Therefore, he had to pay the ultimate price. It certainly makes you think when you play games like Pokemon and the like, doesn't it?

"Oh dear God! When did Strider start
looking like a middle-aged William Shatner?"

I always thought that Sega was going for more of that Bruce Willis 'Die Hard' look.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:28 AM   #157
Drunken Savior

You should list the year the games were released! Do as I command!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 03:32 AM   #158
Joe Redifer
Olé!

He's kind of a cross between Bruce and William I think. He looks similar to the vintage Captain Kirk of the original television series.

DS:
Arcade=1989
NES=1989 (maybe 1990, not sure)
Genesis=1990
SMS=1991
Old 12-01-2004, 03:40 AM   #159
Messanic
I'm D-E-D, Dead!

You should also review Strider and Strider 2 for the ps1.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:01 AM   #160
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I already talked about them at the top of the first review, and even mentioned them at the bottom of the Genesis review. The PS version of Strider is arcade perfect except for the loading times (I can't remember if it used arranged or arcade music... or both). Strider 2 was fun to play... once. The design of that game kind of sucked, though. Let's not forget about the weak Strider II for Genesis by US Gold. Actually yes, let's do forget about that.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:11 PM   #161
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Coming soon: My first Neo Geo review!
Old 12-01-2004, 07:19 PM   #162
Vert1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus4578

"That sounds like a very cruel punishment indeed, but it's better than how Nintendo MURDERED Gunpei Yokoi for his miserable Virtual Boy failure."

Hiroshi Yamauchi is one scary dude. I knew from the first moment I heard the news that he was murdered. No way was that an accident. He made Nintendo lose face. Therefore, he had to pay the ultimate price. It certainly makes you think when you play games like Pokemon and the like, doesn't it?
Actually Gunpei and Nintendo still kept in touch after he left the company. I don't think Yamauchi would kill off one of the guys that made their company the success it became. Doesn't make sense.

I like the reviews Joe. Maybe I should start my own...
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:06 PM   #163
Joe Redifer
Olé!

In Japan one failure will negate your many successes. Of course they kept in touch after Gunpei left. They needed to keep track of him and make him feel comfortable so he wouldn't try to flee. Then they MURDERED him. It was in the Nintendo employee newsletter.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:15 PM   #164
Vert1
Banned

Quote:
What he achieved while with Nintendo and when he invented it: Ultra Hand (1966), Ultra Machine (1968), Love Tester (1969), Light Ray Gun SP Series (1970), Erekonga (1970), NB Block Crater (1970), Ultra Scope (1971), Light Ray Telephone LT (1971), Lefty RX (1972), Time Shock (1972), Laser Kure Clay Shooting System (1973), Wild Gunman (1974), Shooting Trainer (1974), Light Ray Gun Custom Series (1976), Duck Hunt (1977), The Chilean Tree (1979), Game & Watch Series (1980), Donkey Kong [arcade] -producer- (1981), Game & Watch Wide Screen (1981), Game & Watch Multiple Screen (1982), Computer Mah-jong (1982), Famicom Controller (1983), Donkey Kong Jr. -producer- (1983), Game & Watch Color Screen (1984), Mario Bros. -producer- (1984), ROB Robot (1985), Metroid -producer- (1985), Kid Icarus -producer- (1985), Game Boy (1989), Metroid 2 -producer- (1990), Dr. Mario (1990), Super Scope (1992), Super Metroid -producer- (1993), Virtual Boy (1995), Tetris Attack (1995), Game Boy Pocket (1996). Not to forget he also worked with his(people he trained) R&D1 (Research and Development) team on the Famicom (NES) and Super Famicom (SNES)! PS: There are just too too many game&watch-like and other game gadgets he invented to be able to mention all, I mean this man invented gadgets from a robotic vacuum cleaner (1978) to a dancing robot (1985)!!
Virtua Boy was Nintendo's failure to advertise it's unique experience not Gunpei's. He only left the company because he wanted to do his own thing and Nintendo was just the start. Shigeru Miyamoto and Hiroshi Yamauchi have nothing but respect for this man.

Quote:
Howard Lincoln quote about Mr. Yokoi: "He had a great sense of humor, a great smile... a very generous and outgoing fellow. He made a tremendous amount of creative contributions to Nintendo and the video game business over the years. People play Game Boy all over the world, and that's Mr. Yokoi's."
Anything you say after this is slander.

Last edited by Vert1; 12-01-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:38 PM   #165
Joe Redifer
Olé!

There is nothing Nintendo could have done to make the Virtual Boy a success. Even if it had 100% stellar games people still wouldn't have bought it because it was just so damed awkward. It was Gunpei's idea. He made Nintendo look bad. They took him out of his lavish office and placed him in a small area to work on insignificant things until he quit. But he was still not out of the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vert1
Shigeru Miyamoto and Hiroshi Yamauchi have nothing but respect for this man.
The Shiggster is the one who ran down Gunpei on the road! Shiggy still has that same car, and he never even bothered to clean Gunpei's splattered intestines off of the front grill. He left it all on as a warning to other Nintendo employees to not think up bad ideas. Sega just has a copy of the SMS Strider hanging on a wall, with a comment that reads "Bad employees will be forced to make the sequel to this game".