The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 11-18-2004, 11:27 AM   #76
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

My brother beat this game a while ago. And then later I beat Monster World IV which was just lovely. To my knowledge, this is the best of the side-scrolling adventure game series, and this is a genre which I'd love to see more work put into by Sega and others.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:46 PM   #77
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Do you have the Monster World IV cartridge or did you beat it via an emulator?
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:01 PM   #78
Rubeus

The Turbografx CDROM version of Wonderboy III Monster Lair is a much better version that the Genesis one, the music tracks kick ass, and much better animation.

I still have the WOnder Boy V Monster World Genesis cartridge at home, I never finished it because I was stuck half way in the game....

Do you guys know that these WonderBoy games were NOT developed by Sega? They were all developed by a company called Westone. That was the reason why all the WonderBoy games also appears on PC-Engine / Turbografx because Hudson Soft bought the copyrights from Westone.

I believe there is yet another WonderBoy game after this, do you know the name?
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 11:05 PM   #79
Rubeus

Yes it's called WonderBoy VI Monster World IV

Anyone played this game?
Old 11-18-2004, 11:43 PM   #80
1337haxxor
Banned

OMG!!! YOU ONLY HAVE 2 WATER AND 1 SAC!!!! n00b!!!!
1337haxxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:20 AM   #81
Joe Redifer
Olé!

That is Monster World IV, but Wonder Boy is not in it. It is pictured in my legacy diagram in the review. Where did you get an English version?

Westone developed the Monster World games, and Sega reprogrammed them and put Wonder Boy in them. in Japan Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap was simply called Monster World II. Westone had nothing to do with Monster Lair nor the original Wonder Boy.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:21 AM   #82
Rubeus

There's no official English version, you can only find it for emulator.

Is that Wonder Girl in Monster World IV?
Old 11-19-2004, 09:50 AM   #83
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yes Joe, I played through a Japanese emulated version of it (I don't have a Mega Drive nor a converter for Genesis, though I have one for Saturn with a ton of imported software). MWIV is an absolutely incredible adventure, and was amongst my earlier reviews.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:21 PM   #84
Joe Redifer
Olé!

F-Zero
8/10
Super Nintendo

Nintendo felt that cardboard boxes represented
their high quality standards the most. Cardboard
is the new "space age" and is the wave of the future!

Remember waaay back in the day when Nintendo used to program their own games? Yes, it actually did indeed happen once upon a time. One of those games was the legendary F-Zero for the SNES. One of 3 games available right at the system launch, F-Zero remains as the best racing game ever to show up on that platform.

Graphics: 7/10
F-Zero was a great way to showcase the system's much-ballyhooed "Mode 7" graphics, an effect which allowed the SNES to scale, rotate, and perspective-distort the background screen. This game does all of that nicely and at a constant 60fps, and provides a new and innovative way to present a racing game. The artwork style is futuristic and cold. The scaling is grainy. What more could you ask for? Well scaling sprites would certainly have been nice. Instead, enemy racers approach you without getting any bigger until they reach a certain point on the screen, then WHAM they are completely redrawn in a bigger size. There are probably about 5 or 6 sizes for each vehicle. The backgrounds look OK and scroll horizontally in multiple layers, but they look basically just like a mess of pixels and not much more. But hey, the colors sure are nice!

Wheee!!! It's The original Mute City!
As the track rotated, the gradients stayed horizontal.

Sound: 8/10
Next to nothing in the way of sound effects here, at least nothing that really stands out in any way. But there are some classic tunes like Mute City, Port Town, and especially Big Blue. This game is a good way to showcase your brand new SNES's stereo sound capabilities as well. Certainly not the best the SNES was capable of, but considering that this is just a 4 meg cart, it is more than acceptable.

Gameplay: 8/10
Here's where the meat of the game lies, in it's very addicting gameplay! It is very addicting (didn't I just say that?) and at times almost challenging. You can't adjust each and every part to the Nth degree like you can in Gran Turdismo, but who cares? No one cares about Gran Turdismo, especially since it hasn't even been invented yet, being as how you just got your brand new SNES and it's 1991 and all. Sometimes there are magnetic tracks on the side of the road and the use of the LEFT and RIGHT shoulder buttons can be used to negate their effect. Way too fun. A few different "cars" (for lack of a better term) are available to choose from, but real men use the Blue Falcon exclusively. Just be careful on the windy track, which tries to blow you around. There are also "pixel messes" on the track which will slow you down if you run over them. I guess jumbled, grainy pixels have a detrimental effect on your futuristic racer. Then there are the blue "pixel messes" which act as ice. Even though you are hovering above ground, you can still apparently slip and slide. The game is short and mega-easy on all class levels and tracks, but don't let that deter you. Well actually Fire Field can be pretty tough on the advanced difficulties. But when it all comes down to it, it's just a purely fun arcade racer and in that area it most certainly excels!

Big Blue was a cool track with great music.
It wasn't very big. But it was, in fact, blue.

Wrap up:
The best racing game on the SNES with some cool music and neat-o Mode 7 graphics. You can't go wrong!

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 11-24-2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:05 PM   #85
Vert1
Banned

Whatever happened to that hardcorps review? Anyhow it be cool if you reviewed Hybrid Heaven(N64-Konami) a game I enjoyed a lot in my youth.

I like how you capture your own screens for your reviews. :cool guy:

Last edited by Vert1; 11-20-2004 at 01:09 PM.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 06:34 PM   #86
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Hold yer horses on that Hard Corpse review. It'll come someday. I have never heard of the N64 game you mention. If you want to let me borrow it for review and then I'll send it back, we can do that.

I capture the video using a Sony DVMC-DA1 media converter, which converts the image to DV and sends it to my computer via firewire. I then either edit what will be the Quicktimes in Final Cut Pro or I export still frames into Photoshop and resize them there.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:38 PM   #87
Joe Redifer
Olé!

X-Men vs. Street Fighter
9/10
Sega Saturn

The game comes with the 4MB RAM cartridge!
Or maybe the 4MB cart comes with the game?
I dunno. I'm confused.

Back in the 32-bit wars, one thing true gamers would argue about is how close home fighting games were to their arcade counterparts. The games on the Saturn would almost always beat out the games on the PlayStation in this respect. But even still there were a few missing frames of animation here and there in most Saturn fighting games. Even though the Saturn had more RAM than the PlayStation as well as native 2D graphics, it just wasn't *quite* enough. Suddenly Capcom had this new game in the arcades called X-Men vs. Street Fighter which allowed 2 selectable characters per player as well as on the fly switching between them. That's 4 separate characters that have to be handled now instead of just 2 which could barely be done before. How the hell would home systems handle this? Load between character switching? Now way, you don't want to slow down the action like Mortal Kombat for the Sega CD. Ditch the second controllable character altogether except for when you use your super move? That would be incredibly lame and a piss-poor compromise, not to mention destroying everything the game is all about. Enter the 4MB RAM cart for the Sega Saturn. The game could now run in all of it's arcade glory at 100% on a home system. Capcom pleaded with Sega of America to let them bring the 4MB RAM cart to the US for this game as well as others, but Sega of America, having been burned by the Sega CD and the 32X, shunned the release for fear of the same type of backlash from people. Sega of America has never been smart. That's why people import games for their Saturn!

Stages also scroll vertically which is a feature
brought over from the Capcom X-Men arcade games.

Graphics: 9/10
Arcade perfect. That's the only way to describe the graphics. And the arcade game featured excellent graphics. The characters use a style of art that is almost identical to the Street Fighter Alpha/Zero series being that the characters are all portrayed as being very young. The X-Men characters are drawn in the Marvel Comics style with ink-shading and the like, but blend in quite well with the Street Fighter characters. The backgrounds all feature multiple layers of scrolling and sometimes multiple areas you can do battle in. For example if one member of each team dies on the crime scene stage or of there are a lot of throws happening, you will fall through the street and continue the fight in the sewers below, all with no extra loading. The animation is excellent as well. You can have two Juggernauts (the biggest character in the game) on the screen at the same time with zero slowdown or flicker. The Saturn is a very powerful 2D machine indeed. The screen often flashes with sparks and power adding to the overall presentation.

This'll teach Juggernaut to eat all of the cookies!

Sound: 8/10
You've got great sound here, and each character's voice comes through crystal clear. Smacks and punches sound perfect, and you'll be hearing them quite a bit. The music is great as well. It definitely sounds like Capcom, with the synthetic guitars constantly wailing in the background. Each character has his or her own theme music, with many standing out, particularly that of Cyclops. The music is presented in stereo for your enjoyment.

What's up with Dhalsim?
It looks like someone just shoved
a hot coal poker up his ass.

The final boss Apocalypse is a
cheap bitch on the hardest difficulty!

Gameplay: 9/10
This game is just too fun. It's one of those games that absolutely demands that you play it on the highest possible difficulty setting, which I always do. Switching between characters on the fly is brilliant and adds a touch of strategy to the game because when one fighter is offscreen, he/she can heal a certain amount. The control is perfect, especially with the Saturn pad. Just be careful when going crazy not to accidentally switch your characters! The game loads really fast and you'll always be on your toes. It loads a bit slower in 2 player mode, but not much. No matter what, just be prepared for a wild frenzy of a good time. Using complex finger-folding maneuvers, you can bring both characters onscreen at the same time to pull off an extremely powerful finishing move... that is if both of your characters are still alive (yes, they actually DIE if they lose a match. Dead. Forever. OK not really). Otherwise this game is pretty bare-bones and only offers arcade and 2 player matches, nothing like the later games in the Capcom fighting series'. But that's A-OK with me. What this game does it does well. And the roster only features 17 characters to choose from, and many people will be pissed that it doesn't offer the 443,659.4 characters like the later Capcom Vs. games. Oh well. Sucks to be those people, but I'm more than happy right here with this game!

You start battle on the street, but
as the battle rages you will fall into...

...the sewers! Is that smell... human excrement?
No! It's Ryu getting his sh!t ruined by Magneto!

Wrap up:
An arcade perfect must-own game for your Sega Saturn. Stay away from the far inferior PlayStation version!

Last edited by Joe Redifer; 11-24-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:32 PM   #88
Rubeus

I bought this game plus the 4MB RAM Card for my old Sega Saturn, it was awesome back in its days. Too bad I couldn't get the SNK games to work on the 4MB RAM Card, despite SNK games only requires 1MB RAM storage.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:46 PM   #89
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Did you have the official 4MB RAM cart, or a 3rd party offshoot? All of the SNK 1 Meg games work on the official Sega/Capcom 4MB RAM cart that came with X-Men vs. Street Fighter (though there was a version of the game that didn't come with the cart). The only one that does is KoF '95, which had it's own ROM (not RAM) cart.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:39 PM   #90
Vert1
Banned

You'll have to go out and rent it like I did, Joe.
Vert1 is offline   Reply With Quote