The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 05-03-2004, 06:26 PM   #646
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Jeremy_aerts, as I said in my review, I've only played parts 2 and 3. Therefore, I'm not at liberty to say. From what I've played, I'd say 2 has the better gameplay experience overall, while part 3 is the more 'complete package' of the two. I can't wait for the second half of this year. We'll be getting some cool software across all platforms. I look forward to doing those reviews as well as more for older titles, imports, and some rare stuff.

Gearhound, why are you bringing up Golden Sun?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:07 PM   #647
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Because I asked for a good example of pristine GBA sound.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:19 PM   #648
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy_aerts
So in your opinion is it the best omnisuha?
what is omnisuha?
Old 05-03-2004, 11:25 PM   #649
Joe Redifer
Olé!

icarus can u pleez review omnisuha pleez? thx.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:10 AM   #650
Freeman

Uh, can we post our OWN personal ratings of games?
Can someone rate this game called "Siren", in the other forum I'm in they don't seem to like for some reason and I just can't get em to tell me why.
Keep it Real
Old 05-04-2004, 09:38 AM   #651
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Freeman, yes, you can post reviews. Magnus and Joe Redifer have contributed reviews before. This section - "Others Discussion" - provides a forum for people who want to discuss games across all genres and systems. As for Siren, I cannot review it since I don't own it. But I'm certain that there are some people here that have played it.

EDIT: I've just added the index to my personal ratings to the first page of my section. This way there's no need to worry about the original index eventually falling off the list of threads because it will always remain right here on Page #1 (first post). Convenient and easy to remember.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 05-04-2004 at 09:47 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 04:26 PM   #652
gearhound
Versus the World

i think i will review bubbling bath babes. remember that game, icarus?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:20 PM   #653
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Yup. I beat that game before. It's not a bad puzzle game by any means. Anyway, I should have up a few reviews by Friday. Should be interesting.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:50 AM   #654
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Freeman

Can someone rate this game called "Siren", in the other forum I'm in they don't seem to like for some reason and I just can't get em to tell me why.

Yah, I couldnt get much out of em either. But I plan to pick up this game when I have time to play it. (Maybe I can get VicViper to Make Joe Redifer buy it...)http://www.the-magicbox.com/forums/s...&threadid=7962
Old 05-08-2004, 06:15 AM   #655
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Belmont never had it so bad

Ghost House - Sega Master System - Rating 0
Wow, does this game bite. I'm pretty sure that this is the result of Sega experimenting with the Alex Kidd game engine because of how the protagonist bears more than a striking resemblance to the famous Sega character. This strikes me silly because on paper this seems like it could be a pretty good concept, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I should be reviewing something like Phantasy Star, but I don't have that much free time at the moment. So I thought I'd resurrect some dung for scrutiny just to see if I was right all those years ago. Unfortunately, I was right after all - shame on Sega for creating this turd from hell.
If you thought that Castlevania III was a bitch, wait until you get a load of this! No, this doesn't really play anything like Konami's famed series, but the premise is kinda similar: you're Mick, a boy who must take back the family jewels from the Draculas which slumber in the ghost houses. (Yes, that's plural for multiple Draculas.) Not only that, you'll have to fend off fiends like Bats, Fire Blowers, Mummies, and a couple of other things while trying to stay alive long enough to win. What you do is walk around multi-floored manors defeating enemies until one drops a key which you acquire. Then you must find one of the coffins and walk over it to use the key and set loose one of the spawns of evil so that it can fly around in bat form taking cheap shots and depleting your health. Wait for the bloodsucker to eventually change into human form (and be relatively close to you) and then jump into one of the lights hanging on the ceiling. This will freeze everything onscreen for a few seconds so that you'll have enough time to sit there punching/slashing away at the vampire without him causing any damage. That's basically what you must do to win.
So how does our friend Mick control? Ok, I guess, but he's very unresourceful for somebody who intends to take on a bunch of ghastly ghouls and hazardous environments. He can duck, jump, and climb on ladders. What's his form of offense? He can punch. Now, as any true vampire killer will tell you, that's definitely not the way to take on a vampire, especially when they come in multiples. But, apparently, it's more than enough to get the job done here. You can also obtain a sword (or is that a dagger? I don't care either way) by jumping onto one when it comes flying straight towards you. That's right: after long and hard deliberation between the staff working on this pile, Sega came to the conclusion that players were sick and tired of acquiring weapons by simply picking them up, so somebody came up with the genius idea of having them come flying out from the sides of the screen randomly so that if you don't knock it down properly or duck it will deplete health from your life bar. Way to go Sega! That idea fits comfortably into the long list of Stupid Game Ideas.
The graphics are basic and lack character. They're about as plain as can be for a SMS title. Enemies consist of two/three colors at most and they all look very stupid. The music isn't much better either. The sound effects are fair enough but.... does it even matter when the game itself stands amongst the worst that the 8-bit generation ever wrought? I thought so.
This game is one long lesson in frustration. Everything is annoying - you could be walking on what appears to be solid floor when suddenly you'll fall through it. They don't even subliminally show some telling sign that would make the player think to himself "Gee, I'd better not walk on that.", oh no no no. That would be way too easy. There's lava pits which take away health (obviously they don't heal you, but I wouldn't be suprised if they did given the level of incompetence apparent from this game's programming ), webs which you can get entangled in, and other things. You'll see doors all over the place which can warp you around the manor and there are ladders which Mick uses to move from floor to floor. That's most of the game for you. Wheeeee...!!
Avoid this game like the plague that it is and stick to something with more meat on its bones such as Space Harrier, Phantasy Star, Outrun, etc. Painful memories are hard to live with, so do yourself a favor and keep away lest you should suffer the same fate as I did.

For your viewing displeasure, I've found some screenshots for you to take a gander at ~ http://www.mobygames.com/game/shots/p,26/gameId,8315/
Here's a sizey listing of SMS softs for you to investigate at leisure ~ http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/sms/list_action.html
And here's another ~ http://www.vgmuseum.com/sms2.htm

Awesome dude! ....Dude, where are you going...?

Kid Niki - NES - Rating 1
Boy.... the things I used to derive fun from.... This game simply doesn't have it--that special something that makes all good action games tick--and I had thought, well.... perhaps it's better not to go there. Let's just say that Kid Niki is the gaming equivalent of having your bladder explode. Data East (R.I.P.) is the guilty party here. They had a good concept going what with Niki's unique method of attack and all, and some rather zany boss characters, but the final product just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Ok, let's begin with the gameplay. Kid Niki attacks with the Spinning Sword (which actually looks a lot more like a spinning stick). This is the basic form of offense used throughout the entire game. He can also jump and crouch. Sometimes, you'll come across bells which can add powers like being able to throw shooting stars and a shield which circles around Niki. You must transverse each round, defeating the foes that are coming after you. The first basic enemies you'll face look like a cross between Grippers (the basic enemies in Kung Fu) and Shy Guys (Super Mario Bros 2 and onward). You'd at least think they'd come up with a plan to try and stop me dead in my tracks, but the only thing they seem to be capable of is running directly into my attacks. The enemies range from Flying Kites which fly around and sometimes throw things at you, Frogs which spew flames, Masked Devils which can spew poison bubbles, and Monks which basically run and jump around. Every enemy is easy because they all take one hit to kill. Ah well, so much for challenge (aside from the final stage that is, but even that's easy after a couple of tries). Even their placement never really creates a challenge. Put simply, this is plain old boring game design.
The only half-interesting thing about this game is the boss encounters. Death Breath, Spike, Horned Witch, Green Grub, Mad Monk, Samurai Guard, and the Stone Wizard are the bosses you'll encounter in the order shown. They're a breeze with the possible exception of the final boss. I don't know why the instruction manual calls the second boss Stone Buddha and yet he's called Spike in the game. :???: Eh, what does it matter? Anyway, you'll get your weapon knocked out of your hand by the bosses, so you'll have to go and retrieve it before continuing the onslaught. Even though the instruction manual says there's only seven, there's actually eight rounds total.
While the graphics are pretty bland, some of the bosses look decent and are sometimes pretty large. Backgrounds are plain and lack attention to detail, and the characters/enemies are your basic two-to-three color NES affair, aside from bosses which are around five or so. You'll be hearing the same song throughout most of the game so get used to it. None of the songs are really any good, and the sound effects are average at best. I did find it funny how Data East tried to make Mad Monk say "Fool!", even though it sounds so clearly fake.
What can I say that's good about Kid Niki? I, uuuuh, I dunno. It's certainly better than Ghost House (read above), not that that's saying much. It's just a small relic from an era long since expired that has descended down to us so that we may quietly observe the humble efforts of one of the many deceased gaming developers. This was simple fun for its time, but now it's just not that good anymore. Sorry.

To view screenshots of Kid Niki look here (and read another far-out-there review) ~ http://neshorsemen.myrmid.com/review/kidniki.html
View sprites ~ http://www.nesplayer.com/database/sprites/kidniki.htm
To see the arcade version (which I've never played) click here ~ http://www.vgmuseum.com/pics/kidniki.html
And, finally, here it is on Commodore 64/128; according to this guy, it is one of the worst C64 arcade translations ever (note: there's another game shown above it) ~ http://almighty.c64.org/worst.html

Awesome ninja skills

Next review ~ RalliSport Challenge 2 (X-Box)

Last edited by Icarus4578; 10-22-2004 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:53 AM   #656
Freeman

OK since Icarus reviewed an old game I'll quickly review an old game myself, but don't flame me!

SNK vs. Capcom Chaos
In a word: Chaos. ...and by that I mean the game itself! I was holding big hopes for this game when I first heard about it last summer, but when I saw that most of the normal charachters are from Street Fighter II, I was a bit down, especially when I found out there using the KoF grafix engine. However, I was TOTALY dissapointed when I bought the Jap version for my PS2! Wanna know why? Read my review:

Grafix: 3/5
OMG THE STREET FIGHTER II SPRITES NEO GEO STYLE! Man I can't believe I didn't puke when I saw the SFII charachters sprites! I don't know about you but using sprites like those a MAJOR BAD IDEA! Why didn't they do like what Capcom did in CvSNK 2 where they gave some of the SNK charachters new sprites with some having different stances? TOTAL laziness! ...and the backgrounds are so uninvigorating, making you wonder why someone would want to fight in those places anyway? OK, this has NOTHING to do with the grafix, but I just wanted to comment on the one who drew the arts for the charachters: He/She should be hanged infront of the public! God I've never seen such horrible Artwork since KoF 98! Most of the charachters artwork is horrible (specially Evil Ken's! Ewww), but fear not there are some that are good: Athena's

Gameplay: 3/5
Well, the gameplay's OK, although Super Canceling is as hard as hell and I don't see any use of it! If only the PS2 version had more modes like story or team battle I could've given it a higher rating. Speaking of Team Battle, why the heck did SNK make this a 1 on 1 fighting game, when they could've at least made it a tag game?

Sound: 2/5
The worst music ever in a fighting game! The music isn't invigorating and doesn't give you the feeling you want to kick your opponenet @$$! Despite this there is a BGM or 2 that aren't bad, but man does the music stink!

Lifespan: 2/5
My PS2 version has ALL charachters including the secret ones from the very beginning as well as having the option of having to perform infininte Specials & Exceeds makes this game only suitable for multiplayer only. Or is it? Actually when I bought this game only my little brother challenged me to it, my other bros didn't give it a damn, but when we bought CvSNK 2 with our PS2 we kept on playing for a long time. Dunno why but maybe because it was of the "Team Battle" theme, I mean what's more fun 1 on 1, or 3 vs. 3?

Total Verdict: 5/10
IMO the WORST SNK game ever! I just hope that the if there will be a 'sequel' it won't suck like this not to mention the fact that SNK is now turning to the NeoWave.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:39 AM   #657
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Ok, that's definitely a worthy first effort. I'm glad you've shared your opinion and I'll add your review to the index on Page #1. Good job.

EDIT: I've just edited some of my first reviews so that there's more material and made them better reads overall. I'm constantly striving to provide you with the best material possible, so you can imagine my dismay when and if I look back and find some stupid grammar mistake or such. I've fixed them up and now I'm more satisfied with them.

Last edited by Icarus4578; 05-08-2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2004, 05:16 PM   #658
gearhound
Versus the World

Quote:
Originally posted by Freeman
Sound: 2/5
The worst music ever in a fighting game! The music isn't invigorating and doesn't give you the feeling you want to kick your opponenet @$$! Despite this there is a BGM or 2 that aren't bad, but man does the music stink!

i didn't think the music was that bad. the worst music in a fighting game is marvel vs. capcom 2
gearhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:30 PM   #659
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I wouldn't say that Ghost House was the pinnacle of gaming heaven, but I did derive some enjoyment out of it back in the day. Damn it got repetitive though. I believe the "house" is supposed to be haunted, thus the random flying weapons. What I hated about Sega games of that particular era was that they had the jump and action buttons REVERSED! Very awkward to control and I can't get used to it.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:08 AM   #660
Freeman

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhound
i didn't think the music was that bad. the worst music in a fighting game is marvel vs. capcom 2
At least your didn't falme me for my review
Thanx Icarus!

OK, I think I'll review Megaman X4 which is one of my FAVOURITE Megaman games!

Grafix: 4/5
Nice 2D grafix and backgrounds. Nuff said, althoug the grafix got better in 5 & 6 the graphics are still very good here.

Gamelpay: 4/5
This has got the be most balanced X game ever on the PSX! X5 & X6 had an OK gameplay mechanisim, but the fact that you power up each charachter individualy is somewhat tideous. Zero's moves in this game are cool and the best part is that not all bosses have weakens when playing with him (Both Cyber P. & Frost W. are weak to the same move, the Flame Uppercut or whatever it is called), his moves are also very effictive and helpful in the stages as well unlike X's where they are only useful against bosses, making playing as Zero much more fun! Still X has his armor parts to collect which are somewhat challenging (The head part in the Cyberspace level) and give you something to enjoy when playing as X.

Sound: 3/5
Mediocre in my opinoin, the boss fight music isn't bad. In my opinion some of music stages in X5 are really cool!

Lifespan: 3/5
Sadly, since there are only 8 stages to play in, you may not want to play the game again if you finihsed with both X & Zero. You might after a long time though, but still this is a great game!

Final Rating: 7/10
Despite this final rating it is a solid, balanced and a great game. No to mention that the story of the game is great and reveals much of Zero's past.

C Ya in a next review. C'mon guys review with us, even if it's about a game we NEVER heard off! ;)