The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > MagicBox Member Reviews

Old 04-13-2004, 09:24 PM   #586
Drunken Savior

This Pumping will be the death of me. :annoyed:

BTW, Icarus, I just read your FFVII review. It get's the two pint lift of Drunken's approval now I wanna drink these two pints mm mm good award!

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 10:25 PM   #587
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gearhound
he said, "PUMP IT!!" :kill:
I knew it!! Icarus is so Pumping it! aaahhahahahahahaa
Old 04-14-2004, 07:50 AM   #588
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Gig. Gig hard. I'm gigging. Constantly gigging. How often do I gig? Constantly. I'm constantly gigging.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:03 PM   #589
gearhound1
Banned

pumping is cooler than gigging. you're not cool.

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceManSpiff
I knew it!! Icarus is so Pumping it! aaahhahahahahahaa
ahahaa
gearhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:10 AM   #590
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Supreme joy

Tecmo Super NBA Basketball - SNES - Rating 7
What sort of stuff do you pull out when you want to look back to a point in your life when you were younger and everything was so fresh and new? Do you check out some old albums with photographs of you and your loved ones? Or maybe you scrummage through an old box filled with relics from those periods of time? To most eyes, probably much of that stuff would be considered useless junk, but to you it's priceless, true?
That's what Tecmo NBA Basketball does for me -- it's like a snapshot taken from a time when I was so much younger and experienced some of the happiest days of my life. And while I'll never be able to have those happy times back, at least I have ways of reliving those feelings, even if artificially. That's because I attached specific memories to this game, like many others and other things, and I can recall those exact moments in my life through relics such as these....
As it stands you can go out and buy a plethora of basketball games for any new console. But I'm willing to bet they cannot do for you what this particular game does for me.
Though it seems humble enough to the untrained eye, Tecmo's NBA title breathes with enthralling gameplay that's both instant and beautiful. It takes a full 30 seconds or so for me to get it all down again. From there I'm taking the Celtics down to Sacramento to teach the Spurs how to play solid d'. Nobody can stop me; Boston is a force to be reckoned with, particularly under my guidance. #33 himself, Larry Bird, returns from the past along with many other familiar names from the 1992 NBA rosters. You'll see Magic Johnson and James Worthy tending to the LA courts. Dennis Rodman and Isiah Thomas will game you all over the court in Detroit, and, if you're feeling up to the task, you can always bring the game to Michael Jordan and Co. in Chicago for some Tuesday night old-school action. You can select difficulty, period length, etc. etc. All of the player stats are represented and accounted for, and in Season Mode it keeps track of stats and league leaders.
The gameplay is simple, non-stop fun. Blocking, shoving, shooting, passing, switching plays on the fly.... it's all right here. You can post high/low, pick & roll, give & go, etc. Tecmo was seriously trying to syphon the sports crown unto themselves, and by the time that this game was originally released on both SNES and Genesis (1993) it truly was the king of b-ball titles. After all, many felt that Tecmo Super Bowl was the king of football games (and still do feel that way), so why not take basketball as well? They managed to get the job done on the NES after all....
Graphically, expect very good graphics out of your SNES. The players look and animate wonderfully, and, in Tecmo tradition, there are nice little cut scenes when certain things occur, such as when you shoot a perfect 3-pointer or when you get a particularly nice slam dunk. The court looks great, only I wish that the crowd and coaches animated, but no matter.
The soundtrack is pretty good and gives an accurate presentation of the kind of fanfare one would expect to hear from a such a game venue, except now there's the ability to turn on/off music during the actual game. While the tunes are fitting I prefer to hear the b-ball game itself without a soundtrack - the way it was intended. You get all the squeaking and dribbling, as well as some ref voices -- "Foul. Pushing."; that sort of thing.
Tecmo Super NBA Basketball is one of the highlights of the 16-bit sports generation and is evidence that, yes, old sports games are still just as fun to play as any of the newer stuff, even if lacking many of the finer details of the latter. And besides, how many other basketball games allow you to play as Larry Bird, Robert Parish, Reggie Lewis, etc.? Yup, It looks like the Celtics will be taking home another Championship.

At a glance ~ http://www.vgmuseum.com/pics5/tecmonba.html

Last edited by Icarus4578; 04-16-2004 at 02:11 AM.
Icarus4578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:36 AM   #591
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Bad to the bone

Demon's Crest - SNES - Rating 8
I must contend that because I've played this game again (with more experience under my belt) it has given me cause to reconsider my feelings about many of the newer action/adventure titles. I'm still somewhat reserved about it. On one hand this Capcom gem has etched itself into one of the most-distinct recesses of the SNES's history. Truly, it is a wonderful example of action macabre infused with loyal gameplay that never blows you away but rather relies on its ability to always function perfectly and properly in even the most hairy situations. Though the journey is somewhat brief you'll enjoy every step of the way as Capcom has managed to squeeze more out of the SNES than most others could dream.
The story is about six magical stones with crests carved onto each of them, and whoever collects them all will have the power to rule both the human and demon realms. Firebrand must recover them from Phalanx so that he can get his revenge. This is the sequel to the GameBoy and NES titles Gargoyle's Quest 1 & 2, respectively.
You begin by doing battle with a huge dragon and afterwards the first stage begins in a graveyard. Right from the start this game bears striking similarities to Ghouls 'N Ghosts, and even Castlevania. There's fog covering the background area with bare trees standing against the thick darkness like wounded figures. This is transposed around the eerie subtleness of the soundtrack, much in the same vein as G'NG. Red Demon can shoot fireballs (only one at a time, until you've acquired the proper powers), can headbutt background objects, can jump and float at will, but cannot fly.... yet. However, he can remain hovering around in the air for as long as you please, and you can even adjust his height by tapping jump to make him fall slightly and then pressing jump again to make him hover again. As you progress through the game you'll acquire various powers, crests which allow Red Demon to morph into various forms, such as the Water Crest which allows him to swim (normally, he'd take damage if submerged in water without it turned on) and Earth Crest which allows him to have a stronger land-based attack, plus ram and smash through heavy objects. You'll also find empty bottles to store potions, scrolls to apply magic to, and even talisman which grant our gargoyle friend special abilities.
The graphics are simply beautiful and still look very good today. The animation is on a similar level to Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse (SNES), only everything is obviously more dark. I wouldn't go so far as calling it moody though (that would probably be a good word to describe Silent Hill). Bosses are a treat but most of them are too easy, at least they are to myself. At least there's a generous variety of them. Interestingly, after you've finished the first stage you can go straight away to the final boss Phalanx if you'd like. However, you won't get to fight the true final boss, and you'll get the worst ending (note: you still need to backtrack later through the stages to obtain everything and fing new areas which often lead to new bosses ;)). The real final showdown is among Capcom's most grueling boss creations.
The soundtrack is Capcom joy though not quite as memorable as Ghouls 'N Ghosts. Featuring weird and subdued arrangements, the music is very fitting for the journey. There's just the right amount of dissonance for every occasion. Sound effects range from good to decent; nothing breaks the SNES sound board.
If you consider yourself heavily into action titles then it would be a good idea to presume you'll purchase Demon's Crest at some point in time if you already haven't. It's oozing with gameplay, and while it doesn't offer too much new, what it does it does generously well. It's among the best action/adventure titles available on your SNES. I'll leave it to you, the gamer, to make the best-possible evaluation from there. For now, I'll just be waiting for Capcom to grow some brain cells and craft the sequel that this title so rightfully deserves.

Here are several screenshots ~ http://www.mobygames.com/game/shots/gameId,9101/
Here's a walkthrough. It tells you every item location, boss strategy, etc. ~ http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/...ns_crest_c.txt
Here's the bad ending in the game (please refrain from viewing the others; don't ruin the game) ~ http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/snes/a/demonbad.htm

Codes~
Play as Ultimate Gargoyle: FDQP QRMB FGNH GTKL
Fight Bosses Only: RBNL XHGB VGBB LYLD

Last edited by Icarus4578; 04-16-2004 at 02:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:12 AM   #592
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Sega Lovetm presents....

Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast - Rating 7
Most of the people I hear talking about Dreamcast seem to believe that this game, Skies of Arcadia, is the Dreamcast's finest moment. I'll politely disagree. Shenmue and the Street Fighter III series are my personal favorites. However, what Sega did do was give the their fanbase something to be cherished with this nifty RPG title. Although it doesn't break any new barriers, there's something charming about this swashbuckling tale about young Air Pirates that seek new adventure but whom eventually find themselves confronting an ages-old problem which is going to resurrect itself - the Empire Valuan wants to acquire the six Moon Crystals so that they can revive the Gigas which are powerful weapons they intend to use to conquer all of Arcadia. That's the basic premise, and there's a whole lot of other side-quests and sub-plots to keep you interested. I'm not terribly excited about the story because it's just the usual 'save the world' premise, but I did enjoy watching how the characters interact.
Where are my manners? I should introduce the cast to you. Vyse is the son of Dyne, the captain of the Blue Rogues which are a special kind of Air Pirate that steals from the rich (usually the Valuan Empire) and helps the poor. He's an optimistic kid who is always seeking adventure. He dreams the someday he'll venture beyond the horizon and discover new lands. Aika is his childhood friend, a tomboy with orange hair done up 'like a scarecrow' as somebody you'll run into points out during the game. She wants to join Vyse on his adventures, and, although she often teases him, she is a true friend with a good heart, if just a little greedy at times. Fina is a descendant of the Silver Civilization - a Sylvite - who is on a mission to locate the Moon Crystals and place them where nobody can ever gain access to them (to prevent another catastrophic world event from occurring). There are other characters, such as Drachma who is hunting the Arcwhale Rhaknam (which, quite frankly, reminds me a little too much of Link's Awakening ), and others, but I'll spare you.
Instead of the standard overworld where you take your party and wander around the land, you're aboard an airship and you fly around to different islands in the sky. You can change your altitude with the L and R triggers at will, look around with the standard control stick, move with the analog, check the world map and save your game by pressing start, etc. While flying you'll encounter different foes, and depending on where you are on the map determines the type of enemies you'll encounter. Some areas cannot be accessed until you make the proper adjustments to your ship. Later on, you'll be able to use both the Crew and Base Systems, but I don't want to turn my review into one long boring game manual.
When on land you steer Vyse around 3D locales and explore various places. It's very much like any other RPG, except it's all in 3D. You can rotate the camera using L and R triggers, but while running it is very hard to adjust the camera for some reason. Also, sometimes you'll enter into a tight area and will not be able to turn in certain directions. Ummm, why? In a nutshell, expect to be frustrated at times with the controls. One of the things I couldn't understand was why Sega chose to make huge ladder climbs that take about 30 seconds to negotiate in one direction. ....Why do this? You can toggle on/off a mini map of the area you're currently in, look around, open doors and chests, talk to people, and so on. Like I said, nothing new here. Areas are often large and feature hidden chests, secret passageways, and other goodies lying around.
What's an RPG without fighting? SoA has a well-rounded battle system that doesn't really work much differently than other RPGs but does make use of some interesting features. In order to use special attacks or magic spells you need to build the SP meter (which is used by all of your party members). The only difference between special attacks and magic is that magic uses MP as well as SP. You can change the attributes of your weapons with the Y button before imputting commands. Why this is important is because certain colors are more powerful against certain enemies. Also, whichever color(s) your characters are using by the time the battle concludes will determine how magic experience is distributed. What this means is that there's essentially six different spell classes, each with its own special properties: fire, ice, healing, etc. There's also airship battling which is fun for awhile but becomes a bit aggravating later on. Vyse and his party are enemies with the Black Pirates, a different type of Air Pirate that attacks all air vessels and kills their unfortunate victims. You'll run into them quite a number of times.
The graphics look like an N64 title x2. Put simply, they're not very impressive. Shenmue looks fantastic so why not this? The characters' faces change expression often and this aspect is done far better than in Zelda ~ WW (GC). However, the polygons often look too simplistic and the characters move like stiff toys much of the time. The texture detail looks to be only slightly better than an N64 game like Zelda 64. The overworld is one of the most impressive things you'll see throughout the game. Clouds flowing like waterfalls, huge mountains floating in the sky, nice use of transparencies and special effects, and so on. The boss battling reminds me of Breath of Fire because of how the energy bar is displayed and depleted as you attack (and get attacked), and they're often very challenging. After about 10-12 hours or so the battles start picking up and normal enemies begin to become very menacing. One thing which drove me insane was how often my characters would miss with their attacks, and this is after I'd give them higher levels than they'd normally be at! I'd miss about 30% of all of my attacks. Ouch! :annoyed:
SoA has a rather bland soundtrack that offers up nothing really noteworthy or memorable, except for the boss music and only because of how the music changes depending on how well or bad you're doing. Also, the overworld theme will change depending on where you go. My favorite piece actually occurrs not too long into the game, when you return to Pirate Isle. only to find all the men, including Vyse's father Dyne, taken captive by the Valuan Empire. Truly, a fine piece of music. I noticed that one section of the normal battle music sounds very familiar to one of the songs in Astal. Coincidence? I think not. The sound effects are all decent (except for some of the spells), and the voice acting is restricted to battling and a few slight blurbs here and there when people are conversing, such as when Teodoraz growls viciously or when Aika gets excited and screams "YEAH!". Nothing really exciting here aurally....
Skies of Arcadia is an enjoyable quest but some things are needlessly time-consuming. To Sega's credit, the plot progresses forward at a rapid pace and there's more than enough good qualities to warrant a purchase (though the plot does conjure up memories of Final Fantasy II on SNES). It has a memorable cast of characters that are interesting to watch interact, and I can't say that about most other RPGs nowadays. So pick up a copy and sail the seven skies.

Walkthroughs ~ http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/drea...ame/26564.html
Lots of assorted goodies regarding SoA ~ http://www.rpgdreamer.com/skies/
Character artwork ~ http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/eternal-arcadia/art.html
Even more SoA goodness ~ http://www.rpgamer.com/games/arcadia/soa/soa.html
MIDI versions of some of the music ~ http://www.rpgdreamer.com/skies/skiesmusic.html
Vert1 wants you to see this ~ http://www.o-works.co.jp/ea_le/
And.... viola! ~ http://quietcannon.tripod.com/Main.html

Oh yeah! Freakiest character in an RPG - The item shop owner in Maramba! Wait until you see him....

"Impossible is just a word to let people feel good about themselves when they quit." ~ Vyse

Last edited by Icarus4578; 04-18-2004 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:59 AM   #593
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

We sweat the details

NFL Sportstalk Football '94 starring Joe Montana - Genesis - Rating 8
For several months I had gone through a sports phase with both my Genesis and SNES. Games like Madden, Tecmo Super Bowl & NBA Basketball, etc. set my sports gaming sensibilities into forward motion and gave me a solid foundation on which I could bridge a gap between my usual tendencies in gaming (RPGs, fighting games, actioners, etc.) and the sports arena. In truth, it all began on the NES with infamous titles such as Double Dribble and Track & Field II. But what really kicked it into high gear had to have been none other than the original NFL Sportstalk Football, which I had gotten one Christmas morning along with other Genesis titles like Sonic the Hedgehog 2. And I must admit that I played the life out of those titles.
Enter NFL Football '94 starring Joe Montana. Sega had adopted a new attitude and embarked on the massive undertaking of competing directly with EA Sports which was the dominant force in sports gaming. Sega Sports is founded and etched in stone, and EA had better watch out. I have always believed that Sega's Sports lineup is superior to most anything EA touches, save for when EA had finally escalated themselves out of the gameplay hell that was their former NBA titles (such as NBA Showdown ) and got back into the courts with their NBA Live series. But enough with the history - let's get to it.
The first addition that caught my attention was the use (finally!) of the 1993 NFLPA. No longer did I need to imagine that I had just passed to my wide receiver Tim Brown for a touchdown.... I can actually see who's who on the field. Not only that but it clearly shows (and says) how many yards I've gained or lossed in a play. The menus are as familiar as ever. You can choose whether or not the camera will zoom in on the field with the zoom view option. This feature is especially cool and makes the gameplay that much more exciting and lifelike ...for a Genesis game. You are also given a drive summary which highlights yard coverage details - a nice touch.
One thing to realize is that the AI has improved considerably from the former titles, so if you run passing plays often you can expect your wide receivers to have major coverage, and you'll probably get the ball picked off a number of times. Stupid the CPU isn't. Back with the original Sportstalk Football you could keep using F.Goal BLK Middle to get some nasty sacks on the QB. Not here. Well, you could, but the CPU would eventually get around the play, unlike before. It takes awhile to get it down pat but, like all things, it's just a matter of time and practice.
The most confusing aspect is the passing game. You get set in Shotgun formation or whatever, set the play in motion with A button, select which man you want to pass to with B button (note: you can actually set your man with B button before you hike the ball), then hit A button again when you're ready to pass. Once the ball is in the air you take control of your intended receiver. Now if you've got a DB hot on your tail (and you probably will) you'd better make sure you're in position to catch the ball on the cursor because if not you'll run a huge risk of being intercepted. I suggest you start the game with it on beginner so that you'll get a good feel for how things work and can even see which plays the CPU is making. However, when the game is set to beginner you don't get to navigate your playbook the way you normally can on normal or difficult, so keep that in mind.
The controls are excellent, with players moving and responding with split-second accuracy. An awesome feature added is the ability to check out personnel from the playbook at any time. This allows you to check out the positioning of all your players on any play you make. Sega Sports is most definitely gigging hard.
The graphics looks splendid on and off the field. There's actual scailing when the view is zoomed out in vertical view of the field. Horizontal remains largely unchanged except there's more detail on everything, just as there is from the vertical view. When zoomed in, the players all look fantastic and animate wonderfully. Lastly, there's blimp view, but why anybody would want to use it I don't know.
"Up the middle, breaks the tackle, he's got room, he's got daylight! TOUCHDOWN!" The play-by-play commentary is as enigmatic as ever and I'm certainly impressed with the mileage Sega can squeeze out of a Genesis cartridge. Likewise, the sound effects are good with every grunt and tackle fully accounted for.
What more needs to be said? Get this game now and experience one of the original standards in the long and illustrious lineage of football gaming history. I got a good laugh when I heard "The 49ers set up in the Nickel... I can't be-lieve it!" for daring to run a play on the 4th with 9 yards to complete.

"He's going deep, makes a spectacular pass....!"

Last edited by Icarus4578; 11-08-2004 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:38 AM   #594
Joe Redifer
Olé!

I was quite amazed when I first played the original Sports Talk Football. For the longest time, any type of voice or digitized sound took up tremendous space in a cartridge. But here comes Sega with quality synthesized speech that can say any word they type in (text to speech), but some how they even managed to give it excitement, enthusiasm, and a bit of naturalness that most text-to-speech programs lack. The announcer actually gets somewhat excited sometimes, like on the play Icarus described above.

Amazing.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:42 AM   #595
Icarus4578
Deal with it.

Really? I didn't realize that was how they did it. Yet more useful info. Thanks.

Truly, it is solid fun gaming.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:54 PM   #596
Vicviper
Hello handsome!

Demon's Crest

What a great game. I remember the day I bought it. EB(or was it Walden Software at the time) only had one copy and I threatened Joe Redifer with this life if he didn't let my buy it.
Vicviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:36 PM   #597
jeremy_aerts

Shenmue better than skies!?!??!?

NO WAY IN FUCKING HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Skie's graphics were FAR more appealing then shenmue's dreadful (and BORING) portrayal of that damn city. The only thing shenmue has going for it is the character models, everything else sucked. (the fighting, the story, DREADFUL)

Last edited by jeremy_aerts; 04-15-2004 at 05:10 PM.
jeremy_aerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:19 PM   #598
Corona-X
Banned

I always thought that was a real guy in sports talk. Nobody remembers those amazing sports talk games!
Corona-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:47 PM   #599
Joe Redifer
Olé!

Skies of Arcadia's graphics were average at best.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:53 PM   #600
gearhound1
Banned

no, they weren't. when skies of arcadia came out, it was the best looking RPG out; they were hardly average.
gearhound1 is offline   Reply With Quote