The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 04-10-2004, 01:24 AM   #1
Investor27
Legend

Need Help. Can't get to Paypal.com or any Paypal related links.

I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop and am having problems getting to any paypal website. I keep getting the "website not found" error message. I'm running Zone Alarm, Popup Stopper, Norton Internet Security, and Cachman, but have turned all those off and I still can't get to any paypal links at all. I even downloaded Morzilla 1.6 and Morzilla Firefox but both couldn't get to the www.paypal.com or https:\\www.paypal.com or any paypal link at all. I thought people recommended the two Morzillas over Netscape 7.1 and IE6, but I'm now thinking about removing them from my computer and going back to IE6.

Does anybody have a clue what's going on? I have also set my IE6 to accept all cookies, cleared out my cache and cookies and still have no luck. My two years old desktop (running Windows XP as well) has no problems getting to any of the Paypal website. This is very unsettling since I can't access my account when I'm away from home. Any help or idea to solve this problem will greatly be appreciated.
Investor27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 05:38 AM   #2
Alucard

I'd start with uninstalling Norton. If that doesn't work you can always reinstall it obviously. Try this.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 06:43 AM   #3
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

Every week Paypal shuts down for maintenance. It's usually an hour at a really obscure hour. I doubt this is the problem, but..just so you know.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 02:44 PM   #4
Investor27
Legend

Thanks for replying, guys. I removed Norton, rebooted the computer but still could not reach any Paypal website. I then removed ZoneAlarm, and still didn't have any luck reaching the Paypal websites by using both Mozilla Firefox and IE6. I had emailed Paypal through another computer, but the only reply I got was an automated reply that tells me to log on to the Paypal website (which I can't get to) for inquiries. I'm on a wireless network with my labtop. It's an Open network here in the building without WEP protection. The only programs I have left that's running to protect my computer now that Norton and ZoneAlarm are gone are Spyguard, Spyware, Pop-up Stopper and Cachman. Any idea, guys? This is really pissing me off since I can't get to my money, and I can't get any help from Paypal. It's been a week and a half since I discovered that I couldn't log on to Paypal, and I have tried to amost everyday. Thanks.

Last edited by Investor27; 04-10-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #5
Alucard

hmm...What have you dont to your system since the day you couldn't connect? Did you install anything like that popup stopper, or update it or something like that? Or did it just suddenly decide NO I will not load?
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 04:48 PM   #6
Drunken Savior
El Psy Kongroo!

At this point, I would call them, since reaching them via the internet seems out of the question.

Quote:
Source: http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact-phone

Customer Service Center

PayPal Customer Service Agents are available to help you from 4:00 AM PST to 10:00 PM PST every day.

Call us at: 402-935-2050

We may only discuss an account with the account-holder.Please have the following information available when you call:
Your telephone number
Your email address
The last 4 digits of your credit card or bank account registered with PayPal
For security reasons, we must verify the above details before discussing any account-specific information.

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 08:30 PM   #7
Rubeus

You can also try to indirectly connect to Paypal, by using the Google language tools, this way Google will try to load up and translate the page on its server, and you get a translated page from Google.

http://www.google.ca/language_tools?hl=en
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 05:31 AM   #8
Investor27
Legend

I did upgrade Pop-up Stopper and all the other software I listed when I received this new 60Gig hard drive a few weeks back. I have never tried to access Paypal with the newer hard drive before, but I have never had any problems accessing Paypal with the 40 Gig Hard Drive that came with the computer. I have been looking for that old hard drive to test the connection, but I just don't remember where I had placed it. Now I can't even get onto the internet. Thanks for all the comments, guys. I'll try your suggestion, Rubeus. That's a really good idea. Take care all.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
Investor27
Legend

Well, I found the 40 gig hard drive that came with the laptop last night and reinstalled it, but I still have the same problem. I can't get onto the internet. I can see the little icon on next to time clock stating that my laptop is connected to the internet at 11MPS, and that the connection is "Very Good." But everytime I tried to connect to the internet, I get a (website can't be located...) or something like that (...please check your internet connection). I then tried to use the "repair" the internet connection, and I get a message saying that the computer can't find an IP address.

I recently just came back from a week-long business trip where I took my laptop out for the first time. I was very careful with it, and did not bump into anything. When I got home early Friday morning, I was able to get on the internet just fine wirelessly, but still couldn't get onto any Paypal sites. Since Friday afternoon till now, I can't even get back onto the internet anymore, even though the icon says that I have a very good connection. I reinstalled the old hard drive and have the same problem, so I don't think is a driver problem (which is dated June, 2003). Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:50 PM   #10
Investor27
Legend

Hi guys! All is working now. I can get on to the internet as well as Paypal. I think the DNS is fixed by the ISP company. Thanks for all the help. Take care.