The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 01-18-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
Alucard

Helpful info concerning trojans/spyware/IE hijacks

Recently I got an annoying thing where if I loaded up my Internet Explorer window it would INSTANTLY take me to some dumb search engine called Hugesearch.com. I'm assuming my sister put it here since she's visiting me and I let her use my computer a few times, considering I've never had one of these in the decade I've had my computer. Anyway! I found a VERY COOL site that helps you get rid of crap like this.

http://www.computercops.us/forums.html

In this forum they help you with everything. My specific problem was in the "Sypware Hijack Related" section. The other good one would be "Virus Worm related" section. The other tell tale factor is the amount of posts in both of these sections.

Another helpful bit of info is to use a program called CWShredder, or Cool Web Shredder. Very excellent program. Then after that if your problem is still there just use a program called 'hijackthis' and use the log it makes to paste onto the forum there. They have info and just by reading threads it should give you the right idea. Very good place!
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 11:30 AM   #2
Nindalf

That's a coincidence. My IE suddenly started to take me to some stupid search engines when I opened IE, now it takes me to wazzupnet.com. I'm just too lazy to do anything about it.
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 02:02 PM   #3
Alucard

As long as stuff like that happens, your internet link wont be as fast as it should be. Its best to get rid of them straight away.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:05 PM   #4
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
yeah my old computer used to do that alot, I couldn't do anything to get rid of them, so I just reformatted, the blaster bitch came back and I couldn't get rid of that for a while DOH! but everything is cleared up now hehe
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 02:06 PM   #5
Pilotwings
*can't talk...eating*

Red face

the internet search hi-jacker hasn't plauge me for over a month since i deleted the folder where all files were hidden.
Pilotwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 02:42 PM   #6
Alucard

Some of them dont have folders. They're the annoying ones.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:28 PM   #7
link84

get Avant
link84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:29 PM   #8
NEO-GEO
Super Ultra Member

Just don't use IE.

Get Mozilla Firebird.

www.mozilla.org
Old 01-18-2004, 09:58 PM   #9
Alucard

Some sites ONLY work properly with IE.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:16 AM   #10
Vegetto
Alive

theres also a program called ADAWARE, its a helpful program too, I have to scan nightly with it and I delete like 25 threatenning programs a night with it
Vegetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 08:30 AM   #11
mackensie
Wise Fool.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alucard
Some sites ONLY work properly with IE.
maybe a year ago that was more true. but now-a-days all my bank/credit card stuff all now works with mozilla. the only thing that doesn't work is extremely poorly done embedded windows media pages (as the vast majority of them do work).
Love can sweep you off your feet and carry you along in a way you've never known before. But the ride always ends, and you end up feeling lonely and bitter. Wait. It's not love I'm describing. I'm thinking of a monorail.
mackensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 11:38 AM   #12
Alucard

Well thats good for you. But not everyone uses other forms of browsing. I've got 3 installed myself and now and then IE is useful. some only use IE and can't be stuffed using another type. So this is pretty much for them.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:14 PM   #13
mackensie
Wise Fool.

now and then yep
heck even my mom and dad can switch between browsers if their mozilla (which is better than IE in 99% of cases) screws up.
Love can sweep you off your feet and carry you along in a way you've never known before. But the ride always ends, and you end up feeling lonely and bitter. Wait. It's not love I'm describing. I'm thinking of a monorail.
mackensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:32 PM   #14
Alucard

IE is pretty shocking in that area, yeah.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:59 PM   #15
aneep

go to www.spywareinfo.com click online spyware detector or something, it will scan your comp for spyware and then prompt you to restart

removes many spyware/adware (not all i think, but most), but the best way if u have time is using hijackthis log and remove the spyware yourself

-aneep-
aneep is offline   Reply With Quote