The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > General Topics > PC / Games / Internets Discussion

Old 09-15-2003, 01:10 AM   #1
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Arrow Building a Computer. Help!!!

Hey Alucard, remember when I asked about building myself a computer, and you told me to talk to you when I had about $600? Well I have saved about a $1000, and would like to start building my computer and getting rid of this fossil im using right now. I have done some searching and have found everything for my computer. I would like your opinion on it all (at least the major components) and wether it would all work and go together. Anyone else is welcome to make comments and help me out too.

So, heres a list of everything I have found.

Tower

Motherboard

Processor

RAM

Graphics Card

Power Supply

dvd/cd drive

I already have everything else I need like a modem, Network card, monitor, speakers, etc. except for a cpu fan, but thats cheap.

all of this adds up to $885 (minus shipping), and I dont have to get the DVD/CD drive right away.

So what do you think, does it all fit together?

EDIT: I just found this on ebay, what do you think? barebone

EDIT2: If anyone knows of, or finds a place where I can get anything ive listed here cheaper, could you plz tell me.

Thankyou

Last edited by SpaceManSpiff; 09-15-2003 at 04:36 AM.
SpaceManSpiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 04:16 AM   #2
Seska

Dont even think about getting that DVD burner! If you want to burn DVDs, try getting a dvd-r and not a dvd+r. OR if you really wanna be able to burn dvd+r's, get a dual drive unit, like the Pioneer A06 (like the one I'm getting this week ) OVer here in europe they are selling for like 200 euros, so I guess in the US they might be going for 50 bucks more than the unit you were going to get.

You should also consider getting an additional dvd unit just for reading cds/dvds, since you dont want to wear out/use your dvd/cd burner more than you have to. A cheap $20 pioneer drive should be good, plus pioneer carries a 1 year inhouse guarantee.

Also, your powersupply seems to be a bit overkill - you dont really need to have anything over 350 or 400 watt, but if you want it for the fancy light and case modding, well thats another thing. ;)

Otherwise you have a killer system there. *steals it*
Old 09-15-2003, 04:22 AM   #3
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

What is the difference between dvd-rw and dvd+rw?

And as far as the power supply goes, I just figured Id get the best one, just incase in the future if I needed to upgrade for some reason I wouldnt have too as much. But now im thinking of getting a case+power supply combo. Since that case there is all for looks anyways.

Edit: what did you think of the bundle on ebay?

Last edited by SpaceManSpiff; 09-15-2003 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:29 AM   #4
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

I think I will get this tower instead. But if it says it fits a motherboard with a size of 32.5X27, will it fit a motherboard smaller than that?
Old 09-15-2003, 05:21 AM   #5
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

bah!, the more I look at stuff, the more questions I have.

What is the difference between PNY, Albatron, and XFX GeForce video cards, besides the price?
Old 09-15-2003, 05:35 AM   #6
Seska

Most cases come with their own powersuply, so you shouldnt really need to worry about getting an extra one. Jsut make sure that they ship the case with a decent psu, somethines they stick a 300w in there or a 250. You want to avoid that.

As for dvd-r vs dvd+r, think of it this way: most xbox and ps2 games are dvd-r, in other words, single layer 4.7 gig dvds. Dvd-r is a format that pretty much all dvd units can read. dvd+r however, is double layered so you can fit something like 9.4 gigs on a dvd+r (hence the "+") but at the cost of compatibility - only latest units and models can read dvd+r as its a new format. But its good for making backups of your DVD movies, even if yu may not be able to play them on your TV dvd boxset player, you could on your PC.

Also take in mind that dvd-r and dvd+r are different media, dvd+r being more expensive than dvd-r. However that may change in the future, as well as compatibility issues of dvd+r so since you are going to get dvd burner you might as well get a dual drive like the a06 so you dont have to worry about which dvd authoring format to choose.

As for the tower and mobosize, just make sure the tower is ATX compliant and you should be ok.

I am not sure how it is with the Grforce FX graphics cards, but the difference in perfroamnce between diferent brands of the GF4 cards was identical. Maybe the Winfast had a better heatsink than the PNY, but the perfoirmance was the same. Have a look at tomshardware.com, he probably has a listing of the differences.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:48 AM   #7
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Thanks Seska, I found a dvd-/+rw/cd-rw for $60 more.

Someone once told me that there is no difference with dvd- and dvd+, pfft...shows what they know.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:56 AM   #8
Joe Redifer
Olé!

DVD+R/W is not/can not be dual layered. DVD+R/W uses mixed characteristics of single and dual layer pressed DVD-Video discs in order to be compatible with existing players, hence it will not be possible to create a DVD+R/W disc with two layers. This also applies to other recordable DVD systems, such as DVD-R, DVD-RAM and DVD-R/W. No current recordable DVD format will offer dual layer discs.

Think of DVD+R/W and DVD-R/W more of VHS vs Beta. DVD-R/W is indeed more compatible as Seska says, despite what the DVD+R/W camp says... but hey... they are trying to get you to buy into DVD+R! Seska is also correct that DVD+R media costs more, though I have seen it come down. Definitely stick with DVD-R, but if you get a DVD+R recorder, make damned sure it can burn DVD-R's as well.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 06:04 AM   #9
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

-/+RW-r/+r-+dvd+cd-/+/-RW:yikes:

oh, and are those link I posted working? I tried to get to Tigerdirect.com but some weird message comes up, so I decided to use my link to get back there but the same thing happened?

Provider error '80004005'

Unspecified error

/Errors/CatchError500.asp, line 115

...What the hell does that mean???

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][TCP/IP Sockets]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

/Errors/CatchError500.asp, line 115

.....And now this???

Last edited by SpaceManSpiff; 09-15-2003 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:56 AM   #10
Alucard

I've got some serious issues with this places prices and limited items. Give me a little time and I'll see if I can find a better place.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:50 AM   #11
Alucard

ok.. I think I finally found a good place. Incase someone knows a better one then post it up. I dont live in America after all!

http://www.gameve.com

Thats the store I found. Basically these are the stuff I picked out.

CPU- AMD 2600, = $97.00

memory- KINGSTON 512MB 400MHz DDR PC3200 = $103.00

Motherboard-
ok, theres two I'd recommend. All depends what you feel like. One is red, the other is green. Thats basically my technical advice on it.

MSI KT6 DELTA-FIS2R = $131.00

DFI LP-NFII ULTRA = $159.00

Video card - PowerColor ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128M =$268.00

ok so for my listing there.. Everything is fairly straight forward. Kingston is excellent ram. 2600cpu is the best stop before the price flies up for 2700. MSI and DFI are both excellent boards. I selected the radeon card instead of the geforce for 2 main reasons. One is the only geforce card worth getting right now is the 5900. If you go with any other it'll either be too weak or too LOUD fan wise. And the 5900 is like $100 more then the radeon 9700pro, a card which is VERY good. Another big reason is Half Life 2 runs best with a radeon card. harhar.

Anyway, if you were to pick the more expensive board it would come to around just under $630. Select any tower from that site as they come with power supplies and stuff another $100 to the price. If you REALLY want a DVD burner you could get the Pioneer DVR-106D for $166. You'd then pay a slight bit more then you would at that other place, and the 9700 pro is like 2-3 times faster then the 5600 geforce. I would say wait till the end of the year if you wanted a DVD burner since recently Plextor brought out their 8x speed burner. So the other companies should be bringing out theirs aswell and so the 4x will become more cheaper. At least thats what I would do. But anyway, theres my selections.

I also found this site and its fairly cool. Though I thnk I prefer the other one.

http://www.freewaytech.com

Anyway, hope that helps some.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:37 PM   #12
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Supports six memory banks using three 184-pin DDR SDRAMs.
? Supports up to 3GB memory size.
? Supports DDR400/DDR333/DDR266/DDR200 SDRAM
Note: PC3200 (DDR400) maximum 4 banks only.

What does that mean exactly?
Old 09-15-2003, 12:51 PM   #13
Alucard

It means it has 3 slots for memory, and you can stick 1gig chips into each if you wanted. The other part is the speed of the ram. 400/33/266. The boards listed are KT600, the new speed. Therefore a 3200/400 memory chip would be perfect.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:58 PM   #14
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Would either of those two motherboards that you suggested fit in this ? ( I think I like the cheaper motherboard.)

tower
Old 09-15-2003, 01:05 PM   #15
SpaceManSpiff
Spiff to the Rescue!!

Note: PC3200 (DDR400) maximum 4 banks only.

Does this mean that I can only use 2 sticks of this kind of memory? And if so can I still fill the 3rd slot with a different kind?