The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 04-18-2002, 02:29 PM   #1
ourumov

Konami support

Konami, the biggest and best 3rd party of JAPAN, is only making crap games for GC. I wonder what happens. PS2 has a wondeul Konami support while XBOX gets some games but... What about GC ? I see a lot of Konami games for the GBA but there are only sport games+Rave on the GC.
This is sad, because Konami could do great games working on GC.
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 03:00 PM   #2
Pikachu

I dont' think so, Jikkyou World Soccer is a top quality game.
Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 03:01 PM   #3
Wolf

We may see some kind of 3D Castlevania game in Japan sometime. The cdirector of White Night Concerto mentioned he is interested in the link up capabilities with the GBA. However, a 3D Castlevania game usually equals
Old 04-18-2002, 03:02 PM   #4
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

Well I heard that Konam's Metal Gear producer is working on a GameCube game by the name of Eclipse.
Black Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 03:17 PM   #5
ourumov

Jikkyou World Soccer is really a great game but PES/WE is a lot better. Besides PES is the ISS that sells.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:19 PM   #6
Badmash X

I used to be a Konami fan.
A HUGE Konami fan.
Contra, Castlevania, Turtles, Gradius, Monster in my Pocket, etc to name a handful of my all-time fav games.
Soon after the PSX market saturated, Konami and a bunch of other hi-profile 3rd party game developers started to kinda 'pledge allegiance' to Sony.

MGS'2' should've been on DC.
Silent Hill '2' should've been on DC.
Contra '_' should've been on DC. (not made by some crappy Appaloosa)

And most importantly, Dracula-X '2' should've been on DC.

CAPCOM is all you see on DC now.
For which CAPCOM rocks.
And Konami has forever lost my respect.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:27 PM   #7
ourumov

Yes, this is true. Even the N64 had better support than DC. Konami seems very comfortable with Sony.
I still remember the beggining of the 32 bits gen when Konami did a lot of games for both the PSX and Saturn. But the next years Konami seemed to abandon other companies for Sony.
Well, at least N64 can say it has the best Goemons !!!!!
Old 04-18-2002, 03:49 PM   #8
dvdjedi

Thumbs up

"Well, at least N64 can say it has the best Goemons !!!!!"

Hahahaha

Very true
Old 04-18-2002, 03:53 PM   #9
Black Ace
Watching liek a Hwak

The only two Konami's titles that I liked on N64 was Hybrid Heaven and Castlevanie. I hope Castlevanie come to the GameCube at some point, Konami has already dropped some hints that they want to use the synchonization between the GBA and the GC.
Black Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 06:29 PM   #10
Pdaimaoh

cool by me, but another oldschooler turned shade

konami seems a bit near the square group

when I was younger, I loved games from each, but as I get older, their games are not quite as good to me

am I jaded? perhaps

is it the difficult transition to 3D? maybe

is it the emphasis on the 'new' FMV rendered by computers instead of grainy smallscreen videocapture...and the blatanly obvious fact that FMV of any sort is a NONplayable part of a game meant to be PLAYED? could be

sadly, the vast vast majority of konami stuff I enjoy is 2D...they have not truly gotten me excited in a good way over their 3D stuff
Metal Gear Solid is cool, but that's about it
CASTLEVANIA has inherited the spirit of metroid and has become the new best adventure game series, but if you notice, the PSX version kicked that off IN 2D
and on the gameboy advance in 2D

I love 2D games, do not get me wrong, but it's saddening to see the hyper leap to 3D when the quality is to be found on 2D...

Konami should now be getting the hang of using 3D without cheap gimmicky visual stuff, and can move on to making solid playing 3D stuff, but I think they do not want to be port crazy because ports are costly now more than ever, and the returns are suspect
they do not want to deal with another N64...

I think between the two popular consoles, the PS2 is already subject to piracy while the Gamecube is almost foolproofed against all but maybe part of china where they steal blank game discs

even 'copy' devices won't work on games that load constantly, as the port doesn't transfer enough data in a fast way like the true console can

this may be a major advantage in a world chock full o' pirates...
Old 04-18-2002, 06:43 PM   #11
Kinopio

i've heard that Kojima wants his next project to be on the gamecube. So that'll be good. I thought konami would heavily support the cube after the formed mobile 21 with nintendo. I bet they'll make some cool cube games that link up to GBA games, because they are the biggest supporter of the GBA. perhaps thats why kojima wants to develop for the cube.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:07 PM   #12
Tifa's Knight

Kojima is making a GameCube game, but it's going to be a funky parent/child sim game so it won't be released in the US, that's pretty much guaranteed - that kind of thing is huge in Japan, but over here it wouldn't sell. Not even close.

Konami support has indeed been lackluster, but I have a hard time caring. They make some cool games, but really, their days of greatness are long over. MGS2 is not nearly as good as everyone makes it out to be, and they seem to have left most of their great old franchises behind (Castlevania is still getting good 2D installments, but very slowly and that's all.) I guess it would be nice if they made high-profile GC games, but only because it would help the system sell...
Old 04-19-2002, 01:31 AM   #13
ourumov

It seems all the posters in this thread enjoyed SOTN a lot. This is maybe one of the greatest Konami games. I still play it !
Old 04-19-2002, 01:42 AM   #14
typexig
-Drifter-

i heard Kojima is making a game for Gamecube, i think the name of the game is Eclipse..
typexig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 04:14 AM   #15
dvdjedi

Castlevania:SOTN is as close to 2D side-scrolling perfection as I've ever seen! It's one of my favorite PS1 games & the best side-scroller ever!