The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Sony Discussion

Old 06-19-2003, 03:03 AM   #1
ScornedGod
Fanboys,Hurhur!

Playstation:evolve,multiply,conquer

People may have read this before...
I found this article,it's 20days old but hasn't been posted about yet...
It's a really good read about Sony's strategies and the future of Playstation
It's *fairly* long
Quote:
PlayStation: Evolve, Multiply, Conquer
Anyone who has been watching Sony's ambitions in the games market, since the death of its SNES CD drive collaboration with Nintendo spawned the PlayStation project, will know one thing - this is no idle dabbling in a new marketplace for the Japanese giant, and never was. Sony clearly sees the games market as a stepping stone to dominance of the home entertainment sector, and in keeping with the approach of many Japanese companies, it has a long-term gameplan for its PlayStation brand and technology.

Another Japanese corporate trait which Sony displays very clearly - and frustratingly for commentators - is that of playing its cards close to its chest, and peering into the company's future plans is a task that involves a lot of educated guessing (and judging from some of the commentary on the web, uneducated guessing) and, where that fails, simple speculation.

This week, however, Sony chose to show us a few of its cards at a press conference in Tokyo, where the company announced a new consumer product - the PSX - and gave us further insight into plans for its upcoming handheld platform, the PlayStation Portable. The recently promoted SCE boss, Ken Kutaragi, unveiled the most solid indicator yet of where Sony's business as a whole is going over the next decade, as the company's plans gradually focus in on the PlayStation brand, and various technology strands - ranging from minidisks, PDAs and microprocessors to Blu-Ray media technology and Memory Stick solid state storage - converge.

It says a lot about Sony that Ken Kutaragi is considered by many to be an obvious future candidate for the top job at the company. Sony's ambitious vision of the future is all about electronic entertainment and gaming is the core part of that vision - and, ironically enough, may be the catalyst which drives Sony to become the Microsoft of the early 21st century.
Ok....thats the opening...theres a LOT more about specific strategies.
I advise people to read the rest though as it really is a good article;)
Game Industry
ScornedGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 03:37 AM   #2
typexig
-Drifter-

yeah i've read that article too. im really excited bout their future. i just hope they can deliver and not just all talk..im really interested on the PSP. prolly more interesting than ps3..hehe..but yeah..=)

-Xig-

-drifter-
typexig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 09:10 PM   #3
Riot Blade

I WANT A PSX NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
when's it supposed to come out anyways?
Old 06-20-2003, 03:40 AM   #4
TheHardware
The Moment..

god how does sony do it....i have had at once 4 playstation 2s

now i am going to buy a psx a ps3 (at least 2) a psp

i want them so badly i need them...god how do they do it......
Old 06-22-2003, 10:24 AM   #5
Nindalf

Where do you exactly need 4 playstation 2s? Hurhur?
Nindalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 06:46 PM   #6
TheHardware
The Moment..

well i dont need 4...just happened to have 4 at one time im down to 2 now..just traded one for a digital camera...(sucker a new version is coming out soon)....i still have my silver metalic limited edition version Heh heh...and a regular one...

i will most likely end up selling the regular one and buying the model 5xxxx when it releases....im a ps junkie
Old 06-24-2003, 05:53 PM   #7
Twelve
Sky is gone; 12 is HERE!

That article was a good read. Honestly, the only thing that I was thinking through this read was of plans to have enough money to buy everything listed there.