The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
Rubeus

Hackers have turned the Nintendo Switch into a functional Linux tablet

Didn't expect the Switch get hacked in less than a year -- given that neither Xbox One or PS4 got hacked. It will have a bad influence to Switch once people figured out how to pirate games, then all publishers start jumping ship again.

Click for full size

Quote:
Hackers have turned the Nintendo Switch into a functional Linux tablet

There are two major reasons I can think of to hack a game console. The first one is obvious: so you can play cracked copies of games. That’s why modern consoles are so difficult to hack, because millions of dollars are on the line.

But some people just want to run any software they choose on the hardware they own. And for those people, Linux on the Switch is a huge achievement.

A couple of weeks ago, the fail0verflow hacking collective showed a still image on Twitter of a Nintendo Switch booting Linux. They’re one of a small handful of hacker teams who are teasing exploits of the Nvidia Tegra hardware inside the Switch.

But now fail0verflow has video of a full-on Linux distro running on the hacked Switch, complete with touchscreen support, a fully operational web browser, and even a GPU-powered demo application:

On Twitter, fail0verflow claims the bug they’re exploiting to sidestep the Switch’s security can’t be patched on currently released hardware, and doesn’t require a modchip. But as for now there aren’t any details on how to do this yourself at home.

It’s mostly just nice to know that, given enough expertise and determination, you could.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...x-fail0verflow
Rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #2
Hagane
Unlucky dog

It's not surprising given the fact that nintendo insists in using hardware from a generation left behind.

Surely at this moment they must be working on a update that will block this.
Hagane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:00 AM   #3
Nem
Smash bro!

If i could use the gamepad as a tablet i'd buy one real quick.

Heck, i'd be happy with an internet browser. I have that on the Wii U and i dunno why the Switch can't have it.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #4
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Why not just buy a tablet? Serious question.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
If i could use the gamepad as a tablet i'd buy one real quick.

Heck, i'd be happy with an internet browser. I have that on the Wii U and i dunno why the Switch can't have it.
Apparently, the rumor is, that Nintendo is going to make a App store for people to put up stuff like that, but they are waiting for the new online service to do this.
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Drunken Savior

Having one device to do all the things you want is way more convenient than having one thing do 90% of the things you want and another supplement the last 10%.

Source: I have an Android tablet and an iPad (it was given to me for fixing someone's newer iPad). I use the Nvidia Shield K1 for everything I do on a tablet, and an iPad for Phoenix Wright games (because Capcom encoded videos wrong and they crash on some android tablets).

Games I'm hyped for
The Last of Us Part 2, RE2 Remake, The Last Night

Current Platforms:
PC (i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX 980Ti), Wii U, PS4
Drunken Savior is offline   Reply With Quote