The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Nintendo Discussion

Old 01-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
KingOfSentinels
Kossy

Pachter: Wii U 'all but assured' of poor dev support

Quote:
This year, the Wii U is scheduled to bring Nintendo into the HD era, but analyst Michael "Love Curdle" Pachter practically guarantees that it will fail to get developers on board. He also urges the company to stop living in the past.

"Nintendo has to simply stop living in the past in 2012," he said. "They had a great deal of success since 1985 by making proprietary hardware and supporting it with proprietary software. They attracted third party support based upon the large installed base they generated for their hardware. They appear to me to be confident that 'if they build it, third parties will support it', but I don’t think that is the case for Wii U.

"By trying to be 'different' with the tablet controller, they have complicated game design for developers, who can’t figure out if the Wii U will ultimately support only one or multiple controllers. Nintendo made the device sufficiently different that they are all but assured of limited third party launch support, which ultimately will lead to modest hardware sales.

"They should stop relying upon the strategy that got them here, as it appears to no longer be working. I think their resolution should be to look outside of Nintendo for leadership in the areas of digital downloads, a user-friendly online interface and multiplayer gaming."

The Wii U is definitely in a very weird position, and it's certainly going to be interesting to see what kind of impact it eventually makes (in other words, Nintendo is DOOOOOMED).
http://www.destructoid.com/pachter-w...t-219167.phtml

This just in; innovation is bad! He has a point about perhaps their strategy needing work, but saying they should just throw themselves in and make a generic console is stupid and not what they should be doing. It's like when games try to beat Call of Duty by being Call of Duty. It hasn't worked, and never will. You need to stand out, like BF3 did. If no one innovated, the industry would just become stale as shit. The only damaging thing is the Wii's reputation like I mentioned in another thread. People will still see it as a casual console, even if they do get a lot of third-party support.

As for the controller, I think it's wonderful and not at all complicated. It'll make RTS games a lot more viable than just with a joystick. And since it has twin anolog sticks, shoulder buttons, etc. it'll work for any type of game, the screen is just a nice addition, unlike Wii's motion controls which were harder to cater for. No game won't benefit from the touch screen. It could be something simple, like a map, or could be used for easy inventory management. It could be a keyboard. Maybe even a toolbar in games, where in PC 1 - 0 are all mapped to skills; this could do exactly the same. Possibilities are endless.

I don't agree with this guy's analysis on that point at all. And we don't know yet if it's going to get no third-party support. I hope so. lol Pachter.

Last edited by KingOfSentinels; 01-06-2012 at 04:58 PM.
KingOfSentinels is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

OmG!! the wii U will be a sure fire winner now. We all know that whatever this crock pot predicts ends up being totally wrong, with the opposite of what he said happening. It's even funnier when he states something really obvious and then acts like skill and deep analysis were needed.
Nintendo is back baby..thanks pacther.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
darren
... lol

Pachter is a fucking bell end .. i try to avoid everything he writes.
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Einhander
The Risen Graphic Whore E-Penis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren316 View Post
Pachter is a fucking bell end .. i try to avoid everything he writes.
OMG.

This is the fourth time we agree. Now I'm genuinely terrified.

Also, Pachter is an idiot.

Alucard - My only mistake was playing it on the PC.

Joe Redifer - I keep buying this shit because my IQ is in the single digits.
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Joe Redifer
Olι!

Love Curdle, eh?

I can't say I'm looking forward to the Wii U as it looks awkward especially with other players needing to use the substandard Wii controllers, but whatever.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Seraph
>:3

I agree with him. Wii U will not have major 3rd party support. Especially if the new Xbox and Playstation raise the horsepower bar well above what it can do. Developers won’t spend the time optimizing their games for it, players won’t chose the gimped Wii U version (graphically and online). The way Nintendo will market it will not attract the young male demographic every 3rd party caters towards. They have an uphill battle when it comes to 3rd party support and I haven’t seen anything so far that is going to change that.

There is a big difference between Innovation and Different. I’m all for new ideas but unless that new idea is a genuine improvement then it’s more of a step backwards than an innovation. Wii’s whole waggle affair made so many otherwise great games worse by making actions imprecise and tiresome to perform. Right now I don't see how holding a giant, relatively uncomfortable tablet for a controller and having to take my eyes off my nice TV is an innovative step forward for gaming. It's a bigger more obnoxious version of the DS's two screen concept. I can't wait for those blown up mini maps!

I still believe the quicker Nintendo goes 3rd party the better. They make amazing games but I’m soooo tired of dealing with their hardware.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Joe Redifer
Olι!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
I still believe the quicker Nintendo goes 3rd party the better. They make amazing games but I’m soooo tired of dealing with their hardware.
Quote of the year. Yes the year has just begun, but still it is right on the money. Imagine your Zelda without the wonky controls in true HD running on a console with 2 GB of RAM.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraph
That is dumbest thing i have ever heard!

First and foremost, look at nintendo's track record with sytstems and controllers. They never ever did the norm..and its always great.

NES: the (+) directional pad=brilliant
Super NES: Shoulder buttons= brilliant
N64: analogue= brilliant
Gamebube: perfect combo of the things they made standard=brilliant
wii: a very great idea not used right. Look at metroid, zelda:skyward sword and mario:galaxy, the controller worked like intended. It' Is nintendo's fault tho, they expect other developers to be as creative as them but it rarley ever happens. I mean Sony and Ms copied and are also making money from the whole concept.

I mean come on..nintendo drops one system, the wii, that some hardcore players don't like. They expand the video game market with their 'blue ocean' strategy that worked perfectly. Made tons of profit and some great games, and you want them to drop hardware? On what basis, one generation of something you did not like? I would say this is the first system that was behind tech wise, also Consider A lot of wii casuals turn into ps3 or xbox users or own both or all 3..where is the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by some guy with a crystal ball
Imagine your Zelda without the wonky controls in true HD running on a console with 2 GB of RAM.
We will have to wait until e3 to know what you will be getting, but if that zelda Wii u demo was an early indication you should be prepared to be happy.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
Joe Redifer
Olι!

I would suggest that perhaps you are looking at Nintendo systems with rose-tinted glasses. The SNES having shoulder buttons is no more "brilliant" than the Genesis having a C button years earlier. It's just natural evolution.

Bottom line is that Nintendo games would be BETTER on other systems. There is no reason Nintendo needs to have their own console. If they want players to jump around like monkeys or waggle like a 'tard, there is Kinect and Move for that.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
thesoftware6180
The forsaken

That is a horrible bottom line..you gave no reasons why lol.

but anyway the thing that you are missing is that when it comes to controllers they have always set the standard the evolution like you said. It's always nintendo, by the way, no one uses that genesis button layout. All standard gamepads mimic the Snes layout not some, BUT ALL lol .others might improve on the ideas later but nintendo brings the idea to the table. Just be prepared to see xbox 720 and ps4 tablet controller or some kind of screen implementation.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Joe Redifer
Olι!

It's too bad, too because the Genesis 6 button layout was far superior than the 4+2 button layout of the SNES. The Saturn stepped it up by adding shoulder buttons to the 6 face buttons. I guess that's too complicated for people or something. The 3DO didn't copy Nintendo's button layout. Neither did the PC-FX. I don't consider the Wii controls much of an evolution. Like I've said before, the WiiMote should have been a peripheral instead of the standard controller.

But anyway, here are my reasons why Nintendo games would be better on other consoles: They would look and sound better and would less likely rely on gimmicky controls. But I thought that Seraph already pointed that out, more or less.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
Alucard

I wish they would go third party too but sadly they're too proud and stubborn. Imagine if the Wii had never existed. Nintendo went on and instead as a third party provider, just released their games but with some of them needing custom hardware to play. Utilize the ps eye for the ps3 and a little controller, much like a lightgun back in the days, and use that for lots of their games. You like nintendo games, play with either controller or with motion by buying their third party hardware. I see no issue with this.
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
zechin
THERE IS NO BATHROOM!

Sadly, if they went third party. I like many others would just feel like they're selling out. Not only that, but their IP's are always enough to generate sales. If anything it's better for them to generate a shitload of sales from 'titled' mario or pokemon game for their own console than to ever go third party and drive sales for some one else.

They just need to outsource their software and hardware more these days, seemingly because everything is becoming more 'cloud' computing. The day Nintendo does go 3rd party. It's not easy for us to determine whether it'd automatically be a good thing. Just more wishful thinking, like many hopefuls are for the Wii U.
zechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #14
FinalSolace2
IRAQ- Please assimilate forget past

I dont see why they don't run with that nintendo head set idea + stereoscopic 3D
Shooters would be incredible,

Hitting a dude with the butt of a gunstock. Samurai sword. Defusing a bomb using a tool kit in 3D.

Otherwise I'd say just go third party.

So head set plus one stupid gyro and BF3 in glorious 3D- to hard to ask for?
It would be nice to jump off a dyke, stand on the edge and jump in stereoscopic 3D

Or a stereoscopic Avatar special edition where in every scene you are the camera and can look in any direction. Like a real time streetview camera.

+

Crowfoot (American Blackfoot Indian Orator) on his deathbed:"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset."

Last edited by FinalSolace2; 01-07-2012 at 05:10 AM.
FinalSolace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #15
darren
... lol

Apple should buy nintendo

intesresting articale about the idea

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/n...reckoned-with/
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote