The MagicBox Forums  

Go Back   The MagicBox Forums > Console Specifics > Microsoft Discussion

Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
DBJAY

Microsoft E3 2011 expectations

A prediction / expectation thread.

Here are my expectations.

1.) Skype. Probably part of the E3 conference, demo of how it works with Kinect. Hardcore gamers will care less, but this is for the casual gamer and expansion of the 360 consumer appeal.

2.) Kinect - here comes the hardcore. Probably see more on the TGS "core" games seen last year, more on Star Wars, more on Metal Gear.

3.) Expansion of non-gaming applications. A segment dedicated to Hulu Plus, Netflix, ESPN, Skype and how they work with Kinect. Hulu works ok, Netflix is ok. I would expect further demo of how Kinect can be used in non-gaming apps.

4.) The new disc format. Probably just a tiny bit of info on it.

5.) The first images of the Halo remake.

6.) A real price drop on hardware. I would expect them to go down by $50 across the board, to get closer to the Wii's new lower price.

7.) Nothing on next gen.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Connect With Facebook to "Like" This Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
darren
... lol

If that's all they offer up .. Then we have a winner for worst of the big three
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
spider-prime
NOW IN CINEMAPHONIC QUADROVISION!

Location: I hated going to weddings cause all the grandmas would poke me saying "you're next, you're next". They stopped saying that when I did it to them at Funerals.
but skype!
spider-prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
Sinful Sam
gnarf! gnarf!

I'm guessing there will be more Kinect games.

STEAM: Sinfulsam
PSN: Sinfulsam
Live Gamertag: Sinful Sam
3DS Code: 1461-6914-4192 (PM me your code if you add me)
Sinful Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Escaflowne2001
... ... ... ...

The Wii 2 will be taking most of the shine at E3 so Sony/MS will most likely keep it fairly low-key until a little later.
Escaflowne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
Joe Redifer
Olι!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBJAY
4.) The new disc format. Probably just a tiny bit of info on it.
What? Such a move would be suicide on MS's part without introducing a new console to go around it.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
BlindMaphisto
DANGER-HUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
What? Such a move would be suicide on MS's part without introducing a new console to go around it.
There's a beta program with a copy of Halo Reach on the new disk format. It's really just a security thing to fight piracy. They also claim extra storage space will be reclaimed for devs to use. (They have very large security sectors.) What it really amounts to is a firmware update that will be mandatory for future games. They might try to hype it but that's basically all it is.
"I had a perfect nightmare on a starry torrid sea, I am cast in prison by a crippled demon's plea, The demon has three faces all are laughing down at me, The Banker with his filthy lucre sets the game astride, The General with raging might lets forth a battle cry, The Judge locks now the metal tomb where I am meant to die, But vengeance is a brutal beast not held by any cell, My wit is steeled my blade is wet so sound the reapers bell, Banker, Judge and General you all shall burn in hell."
BlindMaphisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
darren
... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
They talked about this months ago. They have some new DVD tech that can add an extra gig or two onto a DVD . Not sure why they would bother talking about that at e3. If they do they must be really in need of a filler
XBL Herr Lip Steam Butters' Bottom Bitch (http://steamcommunity.com/id/buttersbottombitch)
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
Nem
Smash bro!

Only thing i want: Good games!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Nem
Smash bro!

To be honest i'd like to know what happened to the microsoft game studios development teams. They used to make games for the PC before they started with the Xbox.
Today, all the exclusive games i see from microsoft are the ones that are made by the studios they bought. Lionhead with fable and Rare with what i suppose are the kinect games.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
Havoc2049
64-bit Interactive Multimedia System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nem View Post
To be honest i'd like to know what happened to the microsoft game studios development teams. They used to make games for the PC before they started with the Xbox.
Today, all the exclusive games i see from microsoft are the ones that are made by the studios they bought. Lionhead with fable and Rare with what i suppose are the kinect games.
Microsoft sold off or shut down all those great sudios, such as Access, FASA, Ensemble and Digital Anvil.
Havoc2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #12
Paper exe
Pwnd

They still get Rare. That's the best they got.

To be honest I am start worrying about the people in Rare they are getting old, really old, as far as we know half of them are already died from age and the rest turn is coming pretty soon. All what would left then is some random British people in work, NO MORE RARE THEN!!
Paper exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
DBJAY

Needless to say, keeping my expectations low.

It's important to note that "winning" E3 is essentially meaningless. Nintedo "won" E3 last year per the enthusiast press, and then go on to post a 67% annual loss in April 2011. That forced the press conference to announce the new hardware. There usually is a big disconnect to what appeals to the traditional gamer, vs. what actually sells in the mass market.

On the tech front, curious to see if EA will show Battlefield 3 on the 360. That Frostbite engine seems pretty impressive.
DBJAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #14
eastx
The Fighting Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBJAY View Post
It's important to note that "winning" E3 is essentially meaningless. Nintedo "won" E3 last year per the enthusiast press, and then go on to post a 67% annual loss in April 2011. That forced the press conference to announce the new hardware. There usually is a big disconnect to what appeals to the traditional gamer, vs. what actually sells in the mass market.
Last year's E3 was about the 3DS which didn't even come out until the beginning of 2011, and the big games for it like Zelda and Kid Icarus still aren't out yet. The connection between the 3DS and annual profits won't show up until 2012. How silly of you to suggest that.
eastx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
calintz
thank you based god

there was a rumor that EA (?) had the new xbox with their devs, but was denied by microsoft

either because its false, or that they want to announce it at E3...
calintz is offline   Reply With Quote